iPad choices, small single engine GA

For small aircraft, which size ipad/tablet do you use/like? (pick the closest size if other)

• Total voters
When IFR training: I put the big one on top of the dash. No looking down at the yoke or sideways to the side window, though that’s the second best spot.

VFR: on the seat since I only check it to stay out the FRZ and / or b space

This guys sling is setup how I’d like an iPad. Panel
mounted on the right. I’d also like the Sling but preferably the HW. :)

IMG_6011.jpeg

New iPad loaded and ready. I used my iPhone Max before this and it was good for moving map. The iPad allows me to split screen. I can still see over the nose easily. It bluetooths to the G3X and GDL39-3D.

Anyone know how iPads prioritize when two Bluetooth sources are connected, like in this case the G3X and the backup GDL39-3D?

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpeg
    IMG_1826.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
so I stopped by the Apple store yesterday evening for a look-see.
I brought my 10.x inch Lenovo android tablet for comparison. I've been playing with the iFly EFB app trial for a few days.
Was really hoping I could install a trial version of foreflight temporarily, to see what that looked like compared with iFly. Since the EFB is really my only reason for considering an iPad buy I was hoping to try the app on the iPad for full experience. I've never really played with foreflight so I'm just as curious about how it's user interface compares to my android options...and test driving that is just as key to my buying the iPad!

Sadly, they wouldn't let me install anything on it. Said they couldn't take a chance of installing random apps and getting problems with their demo set-ups... I pointed out that its "from-YOUR-app store"....but they wouldn't budge. wow.

Anyway, the iPad mini sure is small but seems like It woudl work. I understadn teh popularity.... The thing I liked the most was how thin it is compared to my android. I can see where the 11 inch and 12 inch ones are too big generally, I'm really shocked that more folks aren't drawn to the 10 inch sizes.... only just a bit bigger than the mini but so much more real estate for the eyes....

It all depends on available space to place it. My iPad Pro doesn’t fit in either airplane and for Garmin Pilot offers nothing the Mini 6 doesn’t have other than size. Bigger isn’t always better, or even useful. The screen is easy to pinch open if you need a bigger view of some information. 95% of the time you won’t.

Yeah, depends...and since I'm currently a renter the available mounting space/location is not exactly a constant for me.

And yeah I get that pinching and zooming is maybe an advantage especially over paper for example.... or it's at least an equalizer for smaller screens
The only thing I'm hung up wondering about ... and this depends on how the software presents itself....is for quick glance stuff, the bigger screen could in theory anyway allow for bigger buttons, bigger menu items, etc and maybe with less overlap too... for quick glance, even without readers....and for easier pecking when bumping around in turbulence...

That’s another consideration for location that usually favors a Mini. An iPad on the right side of the panel isn’t as easy to use as one in center panel or directly in front of you.

I think that newer mini is due to be introduced 4Q or 1Q FWIW.

so I stopped by the Apple store yesterday evening for a look-see.
I brought my 10.x inch Lenovo android tablet for comparison. I've been playing with the iFly EFB app trial for a few days.
Was really hoping I could install a trial version of foreflight temporarily, to see what that looked like compared with iFly. Since the EFB is really my only reason for considering an iPad buy I was hoping to try the app on the iPad for full experience. I've never really played with foreflight so I'm just as curious about how it's user interface compares to my android options...and test driving that is just as key to my buying the iPad!

Sadly, they wouldn't let me install anything on it. Said they couldn't take a chance of installing random apps and getting problems with their demo set-ups... I pointed out that its "from-YOUR-app store"....but they wouldn't budge. wow.

Anyway, the iPad mini sure is small but seems like It woudl work. I understadn teh popularity.... The thing I liked the most was how thin it is compared to my android. I can see where the 11 inch and 12 inch ones are too big generally, I'm really shocked that more folks aren't drawn to the 10 inch sizes.... only just a bit bigger than the mini but so much more real estate for the eyes....

Brad, I think you're making this harder than it needs to be.

You know other pilots, right? Chances are that close to 100% of them have an iPad. And 90% of those are running Foreflight. Seriously, it's maybe not that high because of the few Android tablets out there, but it's far more the rule than the exception. So just call up other pilots you know and ask to try it out.

Heck, walk into the FBO, and ask the first pilot you see if you can see their iPad. Or just drive around the hangars, find an open one, and ask.

I bet you'll get lots of useful advice and will be able to see them in person. I bet someone will even offer to take you on a flight to try it out "live".

Now, if you live on your own private runway and don't know any other pilots, then I guess my ideas don't work. But otherwise, it will be the best research you can do.

Wow, subjective choice - I use ForeFlight, and swapped a full size iPad and replaced it with a Mini. I use a Sentry as the Mini's GPS source. We have Garmin in the panel, but I kinda like having an "independent" backup moving map and GPS. The iPad/ForeFlught display is much uperior to the panel mounts, but if it gets too hot it'll shut down, and its geo refernced approach plates aren't as granular as the panel Garmins.

The Mini is a wee bit small, but much more convenient than the larger iPads in a small GA fixed gear, two or three seat single.

I moved from Cessna to Piper, and still haven't decided where to mount the mini, other than on my kneeboard, where it uisually sits now. The Sentry supports an attiude indicator display on my mini, but that's not gonna help me on my knee if the Piper electrons go all stop. I'll probaly put the Mini on the yoke - when I have tried it there, I found the Sentry attitude indicator display was quite good.

My mini is part of my panel.
I just bought this tablet - https://www.tripltek.com/tripltek9 - and it is far and away the best one I've used. I dumped the iPad mini after it overheated in flight, then Tab-A did the same.
The TriplTek is marketed to the commercial drone fliers - out in the full sun all day. It just works and is easy to read in full sunlight. I run iFly on it. YMMV

I use an iPad mini and it's perfect. I'm in a Mooney, so there's not much room. Mounted to the yoke with a Pivot mount, which is pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_0308 2.jpeg
    IMG_0308 2.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9833.jpeg
    IMG_9833.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14

You know other pilots, right? Chances are that close to 100% of them have an iPad. And 90% of those are running Foreflight. Seriously, it's maybe not that high because of the few Android tablets out there, but it's far more the rule than the exception. So just call up other pilots you know and ask to try it out.

Heck, walk into the FBO, and ask the first pilot you see if you can see their iPad. Or just drive around the hangars, find an open one, and ask.

A great point. I’d happily let anyone use my iPad with ForeFlight if I get to tag along on a free ride.

Thanks John!

I bet you'll get lots of useful advice and will be able to see them in person. I bet someone will even offer to take you on a flight to try it out "live".

Now, if you live on your own private runway and don't know any other pilots, then I guess my ideas don't work. But otherwise, it will be the best research you can do.

and Yep, it's what i do!
Drives my wife nuts some times....I like to research things, especially when big-ish money is involved or if it's something important. I like to make sure I'm making the best compromises.
and yes, I know it often leads me into analysis paralysis.... I suppose that's a hobby in and of itself!

and actually, I don't really know any pilots...well not locally anyway. I've been very inactive for a very long time...and have made a few moves away from the places where I once was active. Do have a flight booked with a CFI soon, so working on changing that situation....

Anyway, this wasn't so much about foreflight as it was getting a feel for what size tablet most folks like, generally...since I don't currently own a plane and not necessarily locked in on a particular type to rent or buy....

but....as for trying foreflight. I did install a trial onto my daughter's iphone and played with it for an hour or two (not in flight, sitting at home). Got a feel for it, about the same as I would expect to get by borrowing someone's ipad for short time.... except maybe for being able to ask questions about it... I watched a few youtube tutorials too.
Got a much better feel at this point for iFly. I've currently got it set up on my android tablet, on my android phone, and on my chromebook computer.... and have been playing with it off and on for several days now...and have even gotten some questions answered from the developers

I have both an I Pad with FFlight, and an Android tablet with I Fly. Yep - sad, I know.

IMHO - I Fly is better in the air. FFlight is better on the ground. But if you had to start with one, get an I Pad with FFlight.

One more plug for the Mini....
How many other iPads will fit perfectly in the front pocket of a bomber jacket, even with a case? :yesnod:

I have both an I Pad with FFlight, and an Android tablet with I Fly. Yep - sad, I know.

IMHO - I Fly is better in the air. FFlight is better on the ground. But if you had to start with one, get an I Pad with FFlight.
so am I correct to assume you use Foreflight more?...if you had to delete one app today, which one would it be?

I've gotta say I'm leaning towards foreflight...but still vacillating a bit
A couple years ago I just barely scratched the surface getting into EFB's and I was using garmin pilot on android. Wasn't a good experience and I told myself then that it seems like foreflight is far and above the most popular so when I get back into it I'm just cutting to the chase and getting foreflight.​
but now that I'm at that point...that means spending good money on an ipad.​
and it means I won't have a great backup option...not being able to run it on my android phone (or my chromebook)​
and I already own an android tablet that I don't use for anything.... but it is a bit big based on the standards that almost everyone likes iPad mini size (also its an oddball thick shape and maybe not as well suited for the cockpit perhaps)​
and iFly looks pretty good in my trials...(so maybe I should run iFly on ipad mini)​
I do like the much thinner form factor of the ipad....​
...but ipads it seems overheat and crash for folks....​
I've only found two or maybe three things so far, that I don't like or that's missing in ifly (no clean way to get center sector or approach control contact info., clunky old fashioned look and feel, syncing between devices is a manual affair, routing on T route airways doesn't work)​
and I've only found a few things in foreflight that iFly doesn't seem to do, but none are really show stoppers. (easy to click a map and find out the contact info for ATC, that 3-D cloud ahoy thing seems cool for training debrief, and it not sure but it seems like planning airway routing might be better)​
and not only will I need to shell out for an ipad, but foreflight costs more than iFly....​
oh, and then there's the whole thing about a newer ipad mini to be released soon...so do I wait for it?​

see, there I go making it more complicated that it needs to be ;)

Buy a used I pad mini from Gazelle and get Fore Flight

Sounds like the general consensus is the iPad mini 8.3" is the way to go. Any recommendations on accessories, must haves (E.g., cellular, external cooler, battery pack/case etc)?

I’ve seen plenty of people say cellular isn’t needed, but it’s pretty neat to update stuff the moment you land. I’m for it if you’re taking it in and out. Panel mounted I guess buyers choice?

I use my IPad Mini 6 in the plane and my IPad air for planning.
air is just a bit too large for regular use in the plane. oh yeah, samsung s24 for backup in plane

I’ve seen plenty of people say cellular isn’t needed, but it’s pretty neat to update stuff the moment you land. I’m for it if you’re taking it in and out. Panel mounted I guess buyers choice?
I don’t have cellular, so the only GPS info comes from the onboard GPS via Bluetooth. While this hasn’t been an issue, it’s always in the back of my mind that an electrical failure that takes out my GTN650 would also take out my iPad as backup for navigation. So I keep my iPhone with Garmin Pilot in my pocket as “last resort” backup.

That's one advantage of Android; you can have a tablet without cellular but still has GPS. If I need internet access on the tablet I just turn on the hotspot on my phone and connect to that.

As much as Stratux builds are disliked by some people, you could just get the Pi3 board and GPS receiver, add a power bank and you have a cheap back-up GPS solution for your non-cellular ipad.

Sounds like the general consensus is the iPad mini 8.3" is the way to go. Any recommendations on accessories, must haves (E.g., cellular, external cooler, battery pack/case etc)?
IMHO - Get cellular to make your I Pad a bit more usable for planning when out of the air plane. Fly with it a bit before determining if you need a cooling fan case (they can get pricy). And check out the used mini's on Gazelle - you can save a lot of money by not getting the latest version and it will work just fine. (Can you tell I'm in full "Dad" mode here? :cool: "

Back