Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
via WiFi on my iPad.
over 3 gig file size

Last edited:
Let us know how it works.

We generally try to avoid "the bleeding edge" and wait at least two weeks to allow time for any major bugs to be squashed.

But we're also very glad there are brave souls out there!

I have a trip planned tomorrow, so we'll how FF likes iOS 8.0

Haven't done iOS 8 yet, but I'm running Yosemite right now on the machine I'm posting from. Some of it's interesting. Some of it his a step backwards UI-wise (similar to the things I don't like about iOS 7). Safari has the same sort of bugs that it had in the early Mavericks releases (hopefully that will get fixed to). There are some dubious UI changes to Safari I don't care for.

Let us know how it works.

We generally try to avoid "the bleeding edge" and wait at least two weeks to allow time for any major bugs to be squashed.

But we're also very glad there are brave souls out there!

I'm often bleeding edge, but think I will take the sit and watch route on this one, too.

now I suppose all my apps will need an 'update' too.

Foreflight 6.3.2 now available

Being on rural broadband with a data cap, I just LOVE it when they drop 3Gb updates on me.

Or your local library.

Before we had high speed at the house, I'd drop my ipad at the desk of a friend who worked at our library and told her I'd be back in about an hour after running some errands. ForeFlight was always done updating in an hour or a bit more...and those updates are a lot more than 3 GB.

And I live in BFE...surely most libraries in larger towns have high speed internet and free wifi access.

Just got an e- mail from Foreflight ,encouraging the IOS 8 update.

Just got an e- mail from Foreflight ,encouraging the IOS 8 update.

Actually, if you read it carefully they're suggesting waiting for a point release, especially if you rely heavily on ForeFlight.

But what the heck....I'm going for it...

Downloaded in a few minutes with the 60 Meg cable and 5 GHz band wifi. Other than some safari weirdness things don't seem too bad.

Be sure and review security and privacy settings. Dunno what apple reset for us...

I had to re-enter my home wifi password after the update. And I'm sure that means I'll have to re-acquire and enter the wifi passwords of all the places I visit regularly.

That'll be a major PITA.

Some other passwords had to be re-entered also. Thankfully, it didn't boot all the saved website passwords. That would've been real hell.

it saved the wifi password on the home system, will check the work wifi in an hour or so

I had to re-enter my home wifi password after the update. And I'm sure that means I'll have to re-acquire and enter the wifi passwords of all the places I visit regularly.

That'll be a major PITA.

Some other passwords had to be re-entered also. Thankfully, it didn't boot all the saved website passwords. That would've been real hell.

Interesting. It preserved my passwords. Did you answer yes to the keychain question on initial startup? That allowed it to go get all your security stuff.

Didn't have a keychain question that I recall. Went straight to entering a wifi password then to entering my iCloud password. I also had to re-establish my email passwords. All my Safari passwords were saved though.

Didn't have a keychain question that I recall. Went straight to entering a wifi password then to entering my iCloud password. I also had to re-establish my email passwords. All my Safari passwords were saved though.

I was prompted for my keychain code. Without that it won't grab any stored password info. Is storing keychain to iCloud an option??

I was prompted for my keychain code.

Ahh...so you were already using it? I'm not and really don't plan to. I don't want naked photos of me circulating the Internet...it would never recover. ;)

my kids have 10gig data per month....I hope they remember to go WiFi before this update.

Ahh...so you were already using it? I'm not and really don't plan to. I don't want naked photos of me circulating the Internet...it would never recover. ;)

That explains it. As for the naked pics, mine seem to disappear as soon as I post them. Go figure! :D

my kids have 10gig data per month....I hope they remember to go WiFi before this update.

The phone refuses to download the update without wifi. Apps, on the other hand, will update without wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grandfathered on Verizon's unlimited plan for $25/mo here!

Have the droid phone set up as a wifi hotspot and I regularly see 20mbps down and 12 up at the house. I regularly go thru 30+ GB/mo.

It's sweet and I plan to do everything in my power not to lose it!

Grandfathered on Verizon's unlimited plan for $25/mo here!

Have the droid phone set up as a wifi hotspot and I regularly see 20mbps down and 12 up at the house. I regularly go thru 30+ GB/mo.

It's sweet and I plan to do everything in my power not to lose it!

NICE!
don't lose that plan

The most annoying change that I've discovered thus far is the addition of the new emoticon button on the keyboard. I keep hitting it when I trying to go to the "numbers & symbols" keyboard.

I'm sure I'll get used to it and learn to miss it but, right now, it's an aggravating PITA.

Oh, and another one, you can no longer kill the first safari window without first opening a second one. At least I don't see how to, the "x" is no longer there and only appears after the second window is opened.

It was always convenient to kill the existing site when going to a new one, and then the icon/bookmark screen appeared and you went on down the Internet superhighway.

I guess someone decided that was too easy, or I'm too stupid to figure out the new method.

There is a new "two finger pinch" now on safari that goes to the "tiles" of all open pages.

(Yeah, I know, my tech vocabulary sucks).

I updated everything last night on the iPad including foreFlight. No issues other then the update was huge and I had to delete a bunch of photos and apps to make space.

I am holding off on updating the iPhone for a few days since my iPhone with ForeFlight is my backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now I have to delete the U2 songs I don't want on my device.

The most annoying change that I've discovered thus far is the addition of the new emoticon button on the keyboard. I keep hitting it when I trying to go to the "numbers & symbols" keyboard.

I'm sure I'll get used to it and learn to miss it but, right now, it's an aggravating PITA.

Delete it in the Keyboard settings. Problem solved.

JKG

Oh, and another one, you can no longer kill the first safari window without first opening a second one. At least I don't see how to, the "x" is no longer there and only appears after the second window is opened.

You can view and close open windows in Safari by tapping the "windows" button on the far right-hand side of the address bar.

I preferred the old behavior, but perhaps only because that's what I was used to. The new behavior is more consistent with the Safari interface on the iPhone.

I have noticed that scrolling in Safari seems to be slower. I'm not sure that it is, but if I scroll down a page and then back up, Safari must redraw the page before I can see what I'm scrolling back to, which is a huge annoyance. This seems to happen on my iPad 3, but not my iPhone 5s, so perhaps it's a memory issue.

JKG

now I have to delete the U2 songs I don't want on my device.

In my case, the U2 album that was pushed appears on but did not download to my devices (it shows as being "in the cloud."). The push was annoying, though.

JKG

You can view and close open windows in Safari by tapping the "windows" button on the far right-hand side of the address bar

As you can with a two finger pinch.

But either way the number of steps req'd to perform an action just doubled.

Last edited:
Thanks but I don't see that option.

>settings

>general

>keyboard

>???????

There are two keyboards, keep following menus until you see the Emoji one listed and then swipe left to delete.

JKG

As you can with a two finger pinch.

But either way the number of steps req'd to perform an action just doubled.

It's one extra step. Closing the active window probably isn't necessary, but it's always been a habit of mine. As I said, they likely did it that way to establish consistency with the iPhone, but I honestly don't see the need to do that.

JKG

Last edited:
Back