iOS 8 - 2 hour download

I've spent probably two hours on my ipad since updating since it's been a boring rainy/foggy day here.

Lots of bugs here and there but especially in Safari. Some operations that used to work fine in safari are now excruciatingly slow, like scrolling thru images. I was searching earlier today for 182 nose wheel pants and scrolling thru the images actually locked up and crashed safari multiple times.

If you haven't already upgraded, I'd suggest waiting.

I'm flying tomorrow, we'll see how ForeFlight does but I haven't noticed any issues playing with it on the ground today

Turning off "Frequent Locations" in the iOS privacy settings has consistently crashed the Settings app on both my iPad and iPhone, even after wiping both devices and reinstalling iOS 8 from scratch. Fortunately, only the app crashes, and the "off" setting appears to stick despite the crash.

Safari does seem to have multiple issues. Scrolling is slow on the iPad, it must often redraw images that you scroll back to, and when you click a link that opens a new window, the parent window will often be empty but will NOT automatically redraw.

I also noticed that the address bar minimizes when scrolling down a page, similar to the behavior on the iPhone. Not a big deal, but it's another iPhone behavior that I'm not sure is necessary (or helpful) on the iPad.

And just now, I've encountered some oddities with the cursor position while typing in the text entry box for this post.

iOS 7.1.2 was working very, very well, so these bugs sure do stand out, but they're far from significant. I suspect that Apple will start squashing them within the next couple of weeks.

JKG

Thanks but I don't see that option.

>settings

>general

>keyboard

>???????

Then "Keyboards >" at the top...

The next page allows you to select alternate boards including other languages. Emoji is one of those choices

Another tip is that it is here where you can create shortcuts for typing. For example, I have a shortcut "ggm" that will auto expand to my gmail address, and "omw" expands to"On my way!"

Turning off "Frequent Locations" in the iOS privacy settings has consistently crashed the Settings app on both my iPad and iPhone, even after wiping both devices and reinstalling iOS 8 from scratch. Fortunately, only the app crashes, and the "off" setting appears to stick despite the crash.

Safari does seem to have multiple issues. Scrolling is slow on the iPad, it must often redraw images that you scroll back to, and when you click a link that opens a new window, the parent window will often be empty but will NOT automatically redraw.

I also noticed that the address bar minimizes when scrolling down a page, similar to the behavior on the iPhone. Not a big deal, but it's another iPhone behavior that I'm not sure is necessary (or helpful) on the iPad.

And just now, I've encountered some oddities with the cursor position while typing in the text entry box for this post.

iOS 7.1.2 was working very, very well, so these bugs sure do stand out, but they're far from significant. I suspect that Apple will start squashing them within the next couple of weeks.

JKG

I have experienced all of that...except the "frequent locations" bug...lots of issues.

I have experienced all of that...except the "frequent locations" bug...lots of issues.

Change the Frequent Locations setting (off or on), and then tap the back arrow to return to "System Services" and see if it crashes. It crashes 100% of the time for me.

I had ForeFlight 6.3.2 crash once while flight planning on the map. There also appears to be a bug that is causing the default HUD fields to show up on the plates and taxi diagrams.

JKG

via WiFi on my iPad.

over 3 gig file size

Showed 1.6GB in iTunes when I let it handle the download from the MacBook Pro.

Being on rural broadband with a data cap, I just LOVE it when they drop 3Gb updates on me.

I feel that pain. I took the MacBook and iPad and iPhone to the office to do the update. Total download time, 5 minutes. 100 Mb/s Metro Ethernet delivered via fiber. Wheeee. Haha.

Grandfathered on Verizon's unlimited plan for $25/mo here!

Have the droid phone set up as a wifi hotspot and I regularly see 20mbps down and 12 up at the house. I regularly go thru 30+ GB/mo.

It's sweet and I plan to do everything in my power not to lose it!

I hate you. I'm one of the idiots who let that plan go figuring they'd cancel it anyway, just prior to the lawsuit that made them keep them.

Got it, thanks!

That little MF'er is gone!

LOL. Mine too. Don't like that button there.

I hate you. I'm one of the idiots who let that plan go figuring they'd cancel it anyway, just prior to the lawsuit that made them keep them.

And you don't even have to root the phone anymore to turn it into a free wifi hotspot like you used to...Verizon lost that lawsuit too.

Until about a year ago, you had to pay Verizon an add'l $25 (or so) a month to use your phone as a hotspot. But, if you rooted the phone and changed one setting, the phone no longer checked to see if you had a "subscription" when you fired up the hotspot.

I can't get used to the 'history' button being to the left of the url bar.

And you don't even have to root the phone anymore to turn it into a free wifi hotspot like you used to...Verizon lost that lawsuit too.

Until about a year ago, you had to pay Verizon an add'l $25 (or so) a month to use your phone as a hotspot. But, if you rooted the phone and changed one setting, the phone no longer checked to see if you had a "subscription" when you fired up the hotspot.

Not true, and hasn't been for years on VZ. I've been using all of the iOS devices as hotspots for so long now, without paying anything extra for doing so, I can't even remember how many years this hasn't been the case on VZ. It was true for a short time in the iPhone 2/3 era.

Not true, and hasn't been for years on VZ. I've been using all of the iOS devices as hotspots for so long now, without paying anything extra for doing so, I can't even remember how many years this hasn't been the case on VZ. It was true for a short time in the iPhone 2/3 era.

It was true on the Androids until the Family Share plan came into being a couple years ago. I've got the Verizon bills to prove t!

It was true on the Androids until the Family Share plan came into being a couple years ago. I've got the Verizon bills to prove t!

Interesting. I can't comment on that. It went away in iOS back when Apple (I assume) decided to stop maintaining all the extra code to ask the carrier what they wanted the device to do. I distinctly remember it being tied to an iOS update... I think... Maybe. :)

Just got a new iPad Mini Retina 16GB and the first thing it wanted to do was update to iOS 8. I figured, what the heck. 27 minutes here at the McD but not McD WiFi, fast Xfinity free trial in the shopping center.

As Loren said, yes it was on droid phones. I don't know exactly when the requirement ended. What I do know is that in January 2013, when I got my new phone, I had to root it. Chris' phone is identical so I'd check her's occasionally to see if it would let me turn on the hotspot (unrooted). The first time it did was April of this year...but it'd been three of four months since I last checked. So this changed, in our area, about the first of this year.

Maybe it was a regional thing. :dunno:

Last edited:
My iPhone 5 won't let me turn on the hotspot today, on vz

I don't have the family share plan because I still have unlimited data and only 700 min/mo 'twixt two phones. The family share plan does indeed include wifi hot spot capabilities according to their website so it's a feature that is a part of that plan. Otherwise, it was an add'l $25/mo (as you know).

It says I need to call vzb or visit a website to enable this feature. It is on a large business plan

Ohhhh wait. I wonder if the grandfathered unlimited plans block the hotspot to try to get you to upgrade?

Ohhhh wait. I wonder if the grandfathered unlimited plans block the hotspot to try to get you to upgrade?
Someone I know told me that he had the unlimited Verizon plan but it wouldn't let him use his phone as a hotspot so he went to another plan. He said he wished he had known about rooting his phone at that time or he would have stayed with the unlimited plan. Apparently you were able to use the hotspot with a rooted phone. Anyway I think that was the gist of what he told me.

Last edited:

I think this might be it. I have an older family share plan (started in 2006-7) under AT&T that always gets comments from the CSR's that they cannot beat with the current plan.

I just checked my iphone5 and to set up a personal hotspot, I am directed to contact AT&T via voice call or a website.

The grandfathered unlimited plan doesn't allow the hotspot. I'm the the same boat. But you can enable hotspot on an unlimited plan by paying an extra $40/month. That gets you unlimited 4G LTE. I don't have it, but I think it's something I can turn on and off by the month as I need it, so I might be trying it in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grandfathered unlimited plan doesn't allow the hotspot. I'm the the same boat. But you can enable hotspot on an unlimited plan by paying an extra $40/month. That gets you unlimited 4G LTE. I don't have it, but I think it's something I can turn on and off by the month as I need it, so I might be trying it in November.

My phone, and my wife's, both droids, started allowing it about the first of this year. Verizon lost that lawsuit back in 2010 (I think) but kept playing the "pay us more" game anyway. Quality corporate ethics.

Edit: the FCC ruling prohibiting Verizon from charging extra and/or blocking aps was the summer of 2012.

Last edited:
Safari has locked up tight three times while posting a reply here since the upgrade. The only fix is a forced reboot of the iPad.

I'm not liking this **** at all. What a horribly buggy update.

Hopefully the patch will be released soon.

Safari has locked up tight three times while posting a reply here since the upgrade. The only fix is a forced reboot of the iPad.

Hmmm....haven't seen that glitch but, honestly, I've been using Chrome more for POA. It will glitch occasionally, but it just goes away when it crashes. On reboot, it lets me restablish the last session. Vimeo vids seem to be the common theme in Chrome crashes.

The other browser I like on the iPad is Dolphin. That's pretty reliable.

My phone, and my wife's, both droids, started allowing it about the first of this year. Verizon lost that lawsuit back in 2010 (I think) but kept playing the "pay us more" game anyway. Quality corporate ethics.

Edit: the FCC ruling prohibiting Verizon from charging extra and/or blocking aps was the summer of 2012.

My understanding is that the ruling only applied to new plans. Grandfathered plans are subject to the rules in force when you signed, which did not permit tethering.

That being said, I rooted a droid and got it and nobody said anything, but I didn't pull enough to cause anyone problems.

No problems on the iPad2 so far, but the iPhone5 locks up occasionally where the touchscreen and home button don't respond. I can get out of it by pushing the sleep button, but it's very annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the ruling only applied to new plans. Grandfathered plans are subject to the rules in force when you signed, which did not permit tethering.

From an article written in August 2012 right after the ruling came down:

Verizon's 4G LTE network is built on top of wireless bandwidth that Verizon bought from the government (specifically, the C Block of 700 MHz spectrum) a long time ago. That purchase came with a restriction called the Open Access Rule, which says anyone using it to provide service "shall not deny, limit, or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice on the licensee's C Block network." That means as long as you're a paying customer and using their equipment, Verizon can't keep you from spreading the wireless love to your iPad, your laptop, or any other device you own.

My wife, Karen, installed iOS8 on both her iPhone 5c and her iPad 2 a few days ago.

Says a few items are "a little different", but no real issues yet.

I'll probably wait a while longer for my 5s and iPad Mini, for the inevitable bug fixes.

Dude, never download .0 of any software! :goofy:

Dude, never download .0 of any software! :goofy:

Man, you got that right! Four lock-ups this morning while I was laying in bed sipping on my first cup of coffee. Safari twice, the homescreen once, and the AP news ap once. All took a hard reboot except for the homescreen.

I sitting at my laptop now shopping for a BRS system for my iPad to save it when it crashes!

:goofy:

My IPC this coming Friday might be interesting! Though ForeFlight has yet to crash and I will have paper backup with me.

Three devices upgraded. Didn't do clean reinstalls. Nothing of interest happening. Works here. No problems. Nothing of interest IN the upgrade either, really.

I think most of the improvements are under the hood and will come into play with Yosemite and the implementation of extensions as app developers take advantage of them.

Not supposedly a big change to the UI, which in general us a good thing.

I think most of the improvements are under the hood and will come into play with Yosemite and the implementation of extensions as app developers take advantage of them.

Not supposedly a big change to the UI, which in general us a good thing.

Translation: Apple has lost their innovative spark, so they opened the platform to others hoping they'll write interesting and useful things for them.

Back