iOS 8 - 2 hour download

Translation: Apple has lost their innovative spark, so they opened the platform to others hoping they'll write interesting and useful things for them.

Not sure I'd go that far. This is following pretty close on the heels of iOS 7 which was a pretty big change. The longer a successful system is in place, the less likely a huge transformational leap is going to come along. And when it does, most people will ***** and moan about it! (see Windows Metro)

Translation: Apple has lost their innovative spark, so they opened the platform to others hoping they'll write interesting and useful things for them.

I'm sure that's the funniest thing I'll read here all day!

It brought tears to my eyes...or that may have been because I've been crying so much because I upgraded....

So far I am very disappointed with this upgrade. Broke several things, including iCloud shared album access, email notifications, keyboard functionality and 4G data. Not to mention the lag in speed an of course many my settings that they (Apple) decided to change just for fun.
Sometimes I wish we could go back to iOS 6 which still worked half decent.

And I have not noticed any improvement/benefit of iOS8. So why did they release it? *scratch head*

Safari does seem to have multiple issues. Scrolling is slow on the iPad, it must often redraw images that you scroll back to, and when you click a link that opens a new window, ]the parent window will often be empty but will NOT automatically redraw.

That one is becoming a real PITA.

I also noticed that the address bar minimizes when scrolling down a page, similar to the behavior on the iPhone. Not a big deal, but it's another iPhone behavior that I'm not sure is necessary (or helpful) on the iPad.

This one is aggravating also because I keep pulling down the "notifications window" when attempting to maximize the address bar. I guess I'll develop better technique with practice to avoid this...my finger wants to go to the top, I need to train it to say in the middle.

Tim, I am right there with you, I do not understand why they had to do that to the iPad. And since we don't have iPhones, I rhought it was a bug and took me a while to figure (actually by mistake) that tapping on the top of Safari opens the afdress bar. :)
You could potentially disable the notification pulldown, couldn't you? (provided that crApple was smart enough to provide such option in the settings).

Another interesting iOS8 glitch.

This photo has been my wallpaper through two iPads now and not until last week did it ever orient 90 degrees off kilter. I haven't found a fix short of a hard reboot.

Maybe Apple is trying to tell me it's time for aerobatics training?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 10
8.1 is out, just loaded it. If it fixes a third of the bugs I'll be happy...half of 'em...I'll be ecstatic!!!

8.1 is out, just loaded it. If it fixes a third of the bugs I'll be happy...half of 'em...I'll be ecstatic!!!

sorry to hear of your permanent depression...

first thing 8.1 did was lock-up safari...

Cowman- Not sure exactly what rural broadband is but most satellite internet providers have an "unlimited data usage period". Some are post 2400 to 0500 and some 0300 to 0700 (lcl time). I do all of my Foreflight updates during that period and will do IOS 8 that way too to avoid overrunning my data cap. If you are not using a satellite provider, perhaps you have a local person who is.

Does anyone know the file size for IOS 7 .

Installed iOS 8 on my iPad Mini Retina a few days ago - mixed results so far.

Pros:

1) I like the predictive keyboard.

2) Safari seems a lot faster.

Cons:

1) Multitouch is buggy. 5 finger pinch does not always return to the springboard like it used to. 4 finger swipe does not always work to switch apps. And sometimes even individual button presses go unrecognized.

2) Just had my first Safari freeze while typing this the first time and lost everything I had typed.

3) somewhat weird cursor behavior from within Safari.

4) AirPlay has been a bit problematical. It had been working perfectly with our AppleTV but balked a few times Monday doing something simple. Then started working again.

Beyond that, everything else seems normal. Trying to get used to the new tab behavior in Safari, but I guess I'll adjust.

Will check Google about the Multitouch issues to see if it's a known issue.

Last edited:
Installed iOS 8 on my iPad Mini Retina a few days ago - mixed results so far.

Pros:

1) I like the predictive keyboard.

2) Safari seems a lot faster.

Cons:

1) Multitouch is buggy. 5 finger pinch does not always return to the springboard like it used to. 4 finger swipe does not always work to switch apps. And sometimes even individual button presses go unrecognized.

2) Just had my first Safari freeze while typing this the first time and lost everything.

I regularly experience all of those, well with the exception of safari being faster. Mine's slower. I think the irregularity of the "individual button presses" is the biggest frustration, followed closely by safari locking up while typing here and losing everything.

The other thing safari does regularly on my iPad is it only loads the part of the page that's visible on the screen. Scroll down and it's blank until that section loads...and it takes a second or two. Scroll back up and you lost what was previously above and have a blank screen again until it loads.

Prepare to find many more glitches, Eddie. Things that never happened when running 7. Mine has completely locked up on the homes screen a few times. Takes a hard reboot to fix it. I never had that happen before.

The other thing safari does regularly on my iPad is it only loads the part of the page that's visible on the screen. Scroll down and it's blank until that section loads...and it takes a second or two. Scroll back up and you lost what was previously above and have a blank screen again until it loads.

Weird. I have not noticed that yet with a lot of Safari usage.

Mine has completely locked up on the homes screen a few times. Takes a hard reboot to fix it. I never had that happen before.

Not yet! Knock on plastic!

Back