iOS 13

That didn't work.

2 things:

1) turn off the switch that says: "Ask Before Running". If this is ON, when you cancel the alarm you'll get a prompt that asks you if you want to run the automation. That prompt disappears after a few seconds if you don't click on it quickly enough. Not something I'm able to do when I wake up.

2) Change "Get Current Weather at Current Location" to "Show weather in my current location".

I also changed from "Wake-up" alarm to "Any" alarm so I could test it.

Now, when the alarm signals and I turn it off, it will start the Weather Channel app and display the current weather. BUT, because the phone is locked when all this happens, it asks for my fingerprint or PIN before it will start the Wx app. Next step is to figure a work around for this.
This did work.

This morning the alarm went off, I snoozed it. It went off again and I turned it off. I was prompted to unlock the phone and as soon as I did the current wx is popped up on the screen. This will come in handy in a few months. When I see the temp in the single digits or lower I can jus say “forget it” and go back to sleep.

This did work.

This morning the alarm went off, I snoozed it. It went off again and I turned it off. I was prompted to unlock the phone and as soon as I did the current wx is popped up on the screen. This will come in handy in a few months. When I see the temp in the single digits or lower I can jus say “forget it” and go back to sleep.

Wouldn’t it be easier to use a widget?

Tom

Got the regular iPhone 11 on Monday. The battery lasts forever and I love the camera. The size is a little too big though. I wish they would have kept the phone the same size as the 6 and 7

For those with the 6s: AVOID!

My work issues everyone 6s iPhones. Everyone who updated their 6s is having problems with dropped calls, or "No Service" notifications when there should be cell service. Resetting the network stops the problem for 3 or 4 hours, then it returns.

Apple says its a problem with our carrier. Verizon says its a problem with the IOS.

I'm finding a few bugs here and there, but overall it seems to work okay on my X.

I have it on my 8 and don't see any problems. I haven't put it on our 8 Plus yet.

Aside from the Messages annoying misfeature, no major issues on my 6S+. Text select/cut/copy/paste seems wonky and inconsistent somehow, but then again, it always has been.

I've noticed a few things that were annoying at first, which is pretty standard for a major OS update... And all the stuff that was annoying last year has been second nature for 11 months at least.

My big annoyance right now is that the default photos view hides things like receipts and such. Well, when I go back looking for a receipt I want to see it! :mad: But when I'm looking for other things I'll probably appreciate it.

I upgraded my iPad last night, and I honestly completely forgot until now, so it certainly didn't affect anything on today's flight.

iPohne 8, with iOS13.1.2

This seems to have started with the v13 update:

For no apparent reason, the phone will start playing music. This isn't Pandora starting on its own, it's the music app starting a random song that's stored on my phone. This morning it happened while I was checking the news/weather/sports. The phone simply started playing something from my music library. Sometimes I'll hear it start while it's laying on a table or when I pull it out of my pocket, but this is the first time it's happened while I was holding it.

I've looked through as many settings as I can think of, but haven't been able to figure this out. It seems to happen at least once a day, but I can't see any connection to what might be happening when this starts.

Any ideas?

Heh. I'm glad my SOP is "default deny". I got an alert today: Music can't access cellular data. No kidding... except Music was not running, nor have I ever run it.

Our devices all went up relatively cleanly.

The new way to place the cursor tries to select words instead, and it is highly annoying if you’re very proficient at editing the old way.

The iPad mini 2 didn’t make the cut, which is odd. It nearly keeps up with the mini 4 on anything normal other than ForeFlight. Even Garmin Pilot is fine on it. Mini 4 is only slightly more responsive.

I use both minis extensively so the UI differences can be a touch annoying also. The mini 2 is significantly better on battery life, not feeding a hungry processor and screen. It’s also a ton more convenient to remap the physical mute switch to stop screen rotation if the switch is thrown instead of having to change it via swiping down into control panel. It also doesn’t interrupt the current app if it’s playing media. Losing that switch was a backward step in UI.

Nothing all that interesting in it so far.

Been playing with some software that sees what Apple tracks if Find Friends is on. That’s interesting. Becomes very inaccurate when stationary to save battery. I’m apparently wandering many acres away from home while I sleep. LOL.

ditto on the cursor/try-to-edit-I-DARE-you placement ... of COURSE you want to select the whole word! There, I did it for you. dammit, NO!

The iPad mini 2 didn’t make the cut, which is odd. It nearly keeps up with the mini 4 on anything normal other than ForeFlight. Even Garmin Pilot is fine on it. Mini 4 is only slightly more responsive.

I had to look to see if they dropped support for the Mini 3 (they did). That was the beginning of Apple's poor design in the Mini line - The only difference from the 2 was that it had the fingerprint sensor for Touch ID, so all of the other hardware was already a year old. The Mini 4 was, likewise, a year old hardware-wise when it came out. It's why I didn't buy a Mini for five years, when normally I'm an upgrade-every-two kind of guy. I hope they don't make that mistake again.

My Apple email client on the phone and iPad no longer refresh automatically. I found a lengthy chain of irritated messages about it on the Apple boards and toward the end a user said deleting the client and reinstalling worked. I tried it and it's better but still not updating regularly.

Apple's mail clients for both osx and ios went into the "considered harmful" pile for me years ago.

I'm narrowing down the "why does music start playing automatically", but still no resolution and still not able to reliably recreate the problem.

This morning I looked at someone's twitter feed, and there was an embedded video (probably cats, I don't remember). I started the video, muted the sound, then stopped it and scrolled past it. A few seconds later the iPhone started playing something from my locally stored music library. I was able to get this to repeat a couple of times, but not every time.

I had to look to see if they dropped support for the Mini 3 (they did). That was the beginning of Apple's poor design in the Mini line - The only difference from the 2 was that it had the fingerprint sensor for Touch ID, so all of the other hardware was already a year old. The Mini 4 was, likewise, a year old hardware-wise when it came out. It's why I didn't buy a Mini for five years, when normally I'm an upgrade-every-two kind of guy. I hope they don't make that mistake again.

Apple doesn’t see forced obsolescence and bloated OSes to be a “mistake” anymore. If they ever did.

I'm narrowing down the "why does music start playing automatically", but still no resolution and still not able to reliably recreate the problem.

This morning I looked at someone's twitter feed, and there was an embedded video (probably cats, I don't remember). I started the video, muted the sound, then stopped it and scrolled past it. A few seconds later the iPhone started playing something from my locally stored music library. I was able to get this to repeat a couple of times, but not every time.

I finally had this one the other day in the car. Phone wasn’t plugged into the vehicle but I assume it attached via Bluetooth so I’m suspecting something fuggered in the Bluetooth code. Any Bluetooth pairings when yours happened? I don’t use Apple Music but there’s no way to get rid of it.

Apple doesn’t see forced obsolescence and bloated OSes to be a “mistake” anymore. If they ever did.

I finally had this one the other day in the car. Phone wasn’t plugged into the vehicle but I assume it attached via Bluetooth so I’m suspecting something fuggered in the Bluetooth code. Any Bluetooth pairings when yours happened? I don’t use Apple Music but there’s no way to get rid of it.
No BT connection that I know of. I do normally have it turned on, but there was no external speaker and I was not in the car. I have seen some online comments from people saying they've seen the same behavior as you mentioned, though.

In my case, I can be sitting inside, pull out the phone to catch up on POA messages about giant marshmallows, scroll around to check some scores or whatever, then my phone simply begins playing music from my phone-stored library. It seems to be related to when I start an embedded video with sound, then stop it. About a minute later, something deep inside the phone thinks it's still supposed to be playing sound and decides the first sound file available is in my music library.

It's called progress, Nate. Try to keep up. ;)

Sounds like Microsoft when they got fat and old. LOL. Pretend obsoleting things was progress.

“Apple: The phone for rich white guys and their kids who we milk with planned obsolescence...!”

That reality probably terrifies the Californian marketers there. LOL. Not what they’ll be pushing soon for Black Friday ads. LOL.

Even Cook barely shows up to product announcements anymore. Ha. They’re that good.

Sounds like Microsoft when they got fat and old. LOL. Pretend obsoleting things was progress.

“Apple: The phone for rich white guys and their kids who we milk with planned obsolescence...!”

No, it sounds like the entire computer industry pretty much forever. If you want to go back to typing BASIC programs on a green-on-black monitor and thinking an 8MHz 6502 is the bees knees, go ahead. The rest of us actually LIKE it when we get new software features, which in turn require new hardware from time to time.

FWIW, I use an iPhone X. It works just as well as it did brand-new, despite being 2 years old. I'm going to wait to replace it for another year - And this will be the first time I've ever kept a phone for 3 years. But, what's happening is that the smartphone market is maturing, things aren't progressing at as fast of a pace as they did in the beginning. I may keep the next one for three years too.

My personal laptop is a MacBook Pro that's seven years old, and can still run the latest and greatest Mac OS X just fine. Laptops have been around for much longer, and the amount of new "stuff" for the hardware to take care of each year is quite a bit lower than for the much-younger smartphones, which as I said are maturing now.

No, it sounds like the entire computer industry pretty much forever. If you want to go back to typing BASIC programs on a green-on-black monitor and thinking an 8MHz 6502 is the bees knees, go ahead. The rest of us actually LIKE it when we get new software features, which in turn require new hardware from time to time.

FWIW, I use an iPhone X. It works just as well as it did brand-new, despite being 2 years old. I'm going to wait to replace it for another year - And this will be the first time I've ever kept a phone for 3 years. But, what's happening is that the smartphone market is maturing, things aren't progressing at as fast of a pace as they did in the beginning. I may keep the next one for three years too.

My personal laptop is a MacBook Pro that's seven years old, and can still run the latest and greatest Mac OS X just fine. Laptops have been around for much longer, and the amount of new "stuff" for the hardware to take care of each year is quite a bit lower than for the much-younger smartphones, which as I said are maturing now.

Marketing wank. Total marketing wank. Your smart phone is “dealing with” OS bloat. Not new features. They’re not what’s taxing the thing.

Case in point. The mini 2 and 3. The ONLY thing that even makes the CPU work hard is ForeFlight. 99% of the software in apps for those isn’t bothering them at all. EXCEPT that the OS doesn’t fit into the cheap ass RAM amount Apple put in them. That was a total dick move on their part. Their competitors had 4-6 GB at the same time.

They know EXACTLY what they’re doing. They even have dumb you convinced a device is outdated at *2* years. LOL. No. It’s just a pocket computer. If the laptops can last seven, so can the phones. They’re literally the same electronics on the inside.

They absolutely WANT to build throwaway devices. Minor OS features that use an additional GIG or more of OS code is just sloppy crap, and all that’s being updated on the hardware is the cameras now. And that’s about done. LG has the best camera out and Google and others beat Apple by a couple of years to post processing images heavily so Apple can add those and pretend they innovated one more time, but they’re running out of things to do. Unless someone beats them again and they copy it, again.

Microsoft of the early 2000s. Copy and steal. That’s all Apple’s got now. And adding RAM they should have put in the last go around. Oooh. Stunning. LOL.

If you want to be insanely bored and unimpressed you watch an Apple product announcement live stream these days. Some dude who you never saw before who spends most of his time on a golf course will pretend to be Jobs in a dark room and you’ll want a nap sometime in the middle.

The days of “one more thing...” definitely died with Jobs.

How’s that marketing of iPads as desktop replacements of last holiday season going? LOL. Surface handed them their ass on that one. Like you said, apps aren’t able to do that.

Boooooooring corporate Apple and their anti-right-to-repair stance. Yawn. Have another Budweiser and grab some nice New Balance and head to Costco with your iPhone. That’s their reality now. Not going to get the excitement of their 1984 themed corporate revival back. Genius Bar, McDonalds Burger Flipper, about the same level of skill now. If you can boot it and see it’s broken and shove it in a shipping box, you can be a “Genius”.

Certainly no Louis Rossmann levels of electronics skill working anywhere near any Apple Authorized Repair places. We figured this out when Apple banned Microcenter from swapping out hard drives in Macs in order to maintain their “Authorized” status.

Of course bending a pin back to fix a machine the Apple Genius said would cost $500 and take five days and the machine had to be shipped away, isn’t exactly very high on the electronics knowledge totem pole. LOL. “Oh look, a pin is bent.”

Marketing wank. Total marketing wank. Your smart phone is “dealing with” OS bloat. Not new features. They’re not what’s taxing the thing.

Case in point. The mini 2 and 3. The ONLY thing that even makes the CPU work hard is ForeFlight. 99% of the software in apps for those isn’t bothering them at all. EXCEPT that the OS doesn’t fit into the cheap ass RAM amount Apple put in them. That was a total dick move on their part. Their competitors had 4-6 GB at the same time.

They know EXACTLY what they’re doing. They even have dumb you convinced a device is outdated at *2* years. LOL. No. It’s just a pocket computer. If the laptops can last seven, so can the phones. They’re literally the same electronics on the inside.

They absolutely WANT to build throwaway devices. Minor OS features that use an additional GIG or more of OS code is just sloppy crap, and all that’s being updated on the hardware is the cameras now. And that’s about done. LG has the best camera out and Google and others beat Apple by a couple of years to post processing images heavily so Apple can add those and pretend they innovated one more time, but they’re running out of things to do. Unless someone beats them again and they copy it, again.

Microsoft of the early 2000s. Copy and steal. That’s all Apple’s got now. And adding RAM they should have put in the last go around. Oooh. Stunning. LOL.

If you want to be insanely bored and unimpressed you watch an Apple product announcement live stream these days. Some dude who you never saw before who spends most of his time on a golf course will pretend to be Jobs in a dark room and you’ll want a nap sometime in the middle.

The days of “one more thing...” definitely died with Jobs.

How’s that marketing of iPads as desktop replacements of last holiday season going? LOL. Surface handed them their ass on that one. Like you said, apps aren’t able to do that.

Boooooooring corporate Apple and their anti-right-to-repair stance. Yawn. Have another Budweiser and grab some nice New Balance and head to Costco with your iPhone. That’s their reality now. Not going to get the excitement of their 1984 themed corporate revival back. Genius Bar, McDonalds Burger Flipper, about the same level of skill now. If you can boot it and see it’s broken and shove it in a shipping box, you can be a “Genius”.

Certainly no Louis Rossmann levels of electronics skill working anywhere near any Apple Authorized Repair places. We figured this out when Apple banned Microcenter from swapping out hard drives in Macs in order to maintain their “Authorized” status.

Of course bending a pin back to fix a machine the Apple Genius said would cost $500 and take five days and the machine had to be shipped away, isn’t exactly very high on the electronics knowledge totem pole. LOL. “Oh look, a pin is bent.”

Apple is so "ungreen" with its business practices its only a matter of time before the swamp and enviro terrorists target them.

For those with the 6s: AVOID!

My work issues everyone 6s iPhones. Everyone who updated their 6s is having problems with dropped calls, or "No Service" notifications when there should be cell service. Resetting the network stops the problem for 3 or 4 hours, then it returns.

Apple says its a problem with our carrier. Verizon says its a problem with the IOS.

I loved my 6S, great phone, but like most things only as long as you don’t mess it up downloading apples bloat ware for planned obsolescence.

Apple is so "ungreen" with its business practices its only a matter of time before the swamp and enviro terrorists target them.

They won’t because they all have idevices as its part of uniform for their group identity, just like having some crazy hair color or a Chavez shirt.

Frankly not being able to easily replace a battery is a joke, as is making bloat ware for every update, running what these OSs do and ForeFlight shouldn’t require much beyond what a iPhone 4 could do power wise. And that’s not even getting into the fact these things are made in china where the only thing they care less about than human rights is the environment.

They won’t because they all have idevices as its part of uniform for their group identity, just like having some crazy hair color or a Chavez shirt.

I truly LOLed loudly in the open work area outside my office at work.

I only scared the handful of people still here today who didn’t WFH and didn’t have their “I wish my bosses knew what drywall is...” headphones on.

Hahahaha! Che shirts! LOL LOL LOL.

I walk up to people with those on and say, “I too, like mass murderers...” and just stare at them to see what they say. Hahaha.

Chuckling at the boot loader during the upgrade on the work Mac (it went last) with a rotated monitor... stupidity reigns in the software world.

2589297ad0cad4e83e131a8d5e22b758.jpg

The stupider the software, the longer I’m employed. Not too worried it’ll get smarter before I retire!

Today’s fun... deciding if it’s Mac Outlook 2016 or GSuite at fault when one of the TWO users crazy enough to run Mac Outlook walked in and said it stopped downloading their mail.

And secretly wanting to kill my co-worker for pushing the user to that as a “solution” when they switched to Mac a month ago.

Just say NO to Mac Outlook. Two companies worth of crap in one experience — then don’t hook it to GSuite or you add a third. Gah.

“Well for now I can use GMail in a browser...”

Please do. Please. Or switch to Mac Mail. Which will hit the GSuite download limits on your 9.5 GB mail account... for ten days in a row and lock you out of your GSuite account for 24 hours each time...

Which is probably what Outlook did but it SUPPOSEDLY has native non-IMAP support for GSuite nowadays.

IT is fun they said. (Questionable) Good pay they said. (True) Lots of great challenges to put your mind to, they said. (False. Just workarounds for morons at bigger companies who can’t write decent code, or in the case of these three idiot companies, recognize that users PAYING for their crap don’t want stuff like download limits on their frogging mail accounts. We pay you HOW much for this, you idiots?)

Yeah, new features are totally free and don't use any system resources at all. :rolleyes:

Case in point. The mini 2 and 3. The ONLY thing that even makes the CPU work hard is ForeFlight. 99% of the software in apps for those isn’t bothering them at all.

Nor would I expect it to. Many apps do really simple stuff. If you want a gadget that does more than really simple stuff, it's going to require some horsepower.

If you're only using apps that don't do much, then no, you don't need to upgrade. You don't need iOS 13 at all! Just keep using it. It's not like Apple stops it from working.

If you want the latest and greatest features, you aren't gonna get 'em on six-year-old hardware, be it Apple or Android. Even in the mature PC market, six year old hardware is going to be somewhat lacking on brand-new software.

They know EXACTLY what they’re doing. They even have dumb you convinced a device is outdated at *2* years.

I'm not the one who has to resort to name calling to support my argument...

LOL. No. It’s just a pocket computer. If the laptops can last seven, so can the phones. They’re literally the same electronics on the inside.

No, they aren't. Similar in some ways, yes - But the laptops have an Intel-based chipset and the mobiles use an ARM-based SOC. One is geared toward speed, one is geared toward power efficiency and small size. But you know that, so I don't know why you're saying such silly things.

:rolleyes:

Apple has been post-processing camera images for many years.

And yes, iOS does copy Android sometimes. Android copies iOS a lot as well. It's not as cut and dried as the old PC OS "wars" where Apple had an undeniably superior product with a marketing department that couldn't market their way out of a wet paper bag, vs Microsoft who copied everything but knew how to sell.

It's called competition... And I, for one, am happy for it. They're keeping each other on their toes so that they don't suck. Neither would be nearly as good as they are right now without the other.

Tim Cook and most of his minions are pretty boring and uncharismatic for sure, especially compared to Jobs. But that doesn't prove your point. Now you're merely frothing at the mouth.

Genius Bar, McDonalds Burger Flipper, about the same level of skill now. If you can boot it and see it’s broken and shove it in a shipping box, you can be a “Genius”.

Certainly no Louis Rossmann levels of electronics skill working anywhere near any Apple Authorized Repair places.

And if you're Apple, that's probably a smart move. It's not like finding people who are good enough with a soldering gun to repair things on the scale they're currently manufactured is easy.

But, the Geniuses are there to ensure it's not a software problem (which is much more common than actual hardware problems) and if it is, fix it. If it's hardware, send it out. I would guess that it's also not economical to keep enough parts on hand to even do major-component-level repairs. Hell, way back in the early 90s when I worked at a retailer that did repairs, literally half the facility was taken up by spare parts storage. That doesn't make any business sense at all, especially in the higher-end malls where Apple stores are generally found.

And it's awfully unfair to those people to call them burger flippers. Your hyperbole has run amok.

Hokay. Now we're well off into the weeds. Where did this even come from? Even enviro-nut-case group Greenpeace ranked Apple the 2nd-best on most recent Guide to Greener Electronics. They're operating on 100% renewable power, have drastically reduced the amount of materials used in their packaging and switched to nearly all recycled content, and they've reduced the amount of toxic materials used to produce their devices. They used to be pretty average, but these days they're among the more environmentally friendly mega-corporations. But none of that has anything to do with anything previously discussed in this thread. :dunno:

I guess that probably offsets a bunch of their planned obsolescence and inefficient repair policies.

Yeah, new features are totally free and don't use any system resources at all. :rolleyes:

RAM apparently. Mini 2/3 1G, Mini 4 2G. Which awesome feature used up a Gig and couldn't simply be disabled? Do tell. This will be good.

If you're only using apps that don't do much, then no, you don't need to upgrade. You don't need iOS 13 at all! Just keep using it. It's not like Apple stops it from working.

We'll see when security updates end, that's the real "must stop" date for any OS these days.

If you want the latest and greatest features, you aren't gonna get 'em on six-year-old hardware, be it Apple or Android. Even in the mature PC market, six year old hardware is going to be somewhat lacking on brand-new software.

Running Win 10 on an eleven year old laptop, runs fine. Like you said, you're running a seven year old MacBook also, mine is 11 years old and also working fine.
It's a conscious decision to treat tablets like they're phones, and to sell phones for $1000 every two years. Apple isn't the only manufacturer doing it, but they're usually claiming that they're a "better value" than the others... which, they're really not.

I'm not the one who has to resort to name calling to support my argument...
That wasn't a name, that was an adjective! :)

No, they aren't. Similar in some ways, yes - But the laptops have an Intel-based chipset and the mobiles use an ARM-based SOC. One is geared toward speed, one is geared toward power efficiency and small size. But you know that, so I don't know why you're saying such silly things.

From the programming standpoint they're IDENTICAL. We were talking about bloatware, right? What caused the Mini 2/3 to be dumped? That's RAM. The OS bloated to fill it.

Where Apple cheaped out on their SOC was in RAM, and I'd have to go check some interior photos, but I don't think they're even using RAM-on-die in the iPad Mini 2/3 chipset. (Doesn't look like it. RAM went on the die at the A8.) Wasn't even a SOC. Just a standard board with a CPU surrounded by WiFi and other chipsets.

Nevertheless, they chose to put the absolute minimum RAM in the Minis, and still do... which apparently was the real cut-off point for iOS 13. The processors are reasonably fast dual-core with reasonable benchmarks.

And yes, iOS does copy Android sometimes. Android copies iOS a lot as well. It's not as cut and dried as the old PC OS "wars" where Apple had an undeniably superior product with a marketing department that couldn't market their way out of a wet paper bag, vs Microsoft who copied everything but knew how to sell.

It's called competition... And I, for one, am happy for it. They're keeping each other on their toes so that they don't suck. Neither would be nearly as good as they are right now without the other.

Android hasn't copied much from Apple in quite a while, other than the camera notch. LOL.

Tim Cook and most of his minions are pretty boring and uncharismatic for sure, especially compared to Jobs. But that doesn't prove your point. Now you're merely frothing at the mouth.

Not sure where you saw any "frothing". If you don't want a tech discussion, don't have one.

And if you're Apple, that's probably a smart move. It's not like finding people who are good enough with a soldering gun to repair things on the scale they're currently manufactured is easy.

"Soldering gun..." Bwahahaha haven't done much pro electronics board work... um, ever... have you? Nobody's been using soldering guns since surface-mount came out a couple decades ago. And no, it's not hard to find board level techs in any city... on the planet... Louis has 12 of them working for him, and other than companies shipping the jobs overseas, finding board techs to work SMD is a nothingburger. Hobbyists do it with cheap hot air pencils and microscopes in their garages compete with reflow ovens these days. So yeah, not hard people to find.

But, the Geniuses are there to ensure it's not a software problem (which is much more common than actual hardware problems) and if it is, fix it. If it's hardware, send it out. I would guess that it's also not economical to keep enough parts on hand to even do major-component-level repairs. Hell, way back in the early 90s when I worked at a retailer that did repairs, literally half the facility was taken up by spare parts storage. That doesn't make any business sense at all, especially in the higher-end malls where Apple stores are generally found.

And it's awfully unfair to those people to call them burger flippers. Your hyperbole has run amok.

In the TECH world? Hell yes. Burger flippers. They don't even know enough to be hired as a Jr. IT person at most companies, because the company IT guy or gal has to know software and hardware basics, as well as network and other basics, AND must know it cross platform. If all one knows how to do in IT, is check an Apple device for a software issue and toss it in a shipping box, you're not getting hired anywhere. LOL.

Absolutely a Burger Flipper. MOST of them wouldn't get past the resume' stage here, let alone get an interview with only "Apple Genius" on their resume'. We can't even use them without basic Windows and maybe even some Linux skills as a JUNIOR staff member PLUS Mac skills. No way. Everywhere is a mixed shop now. That's way too much OJT. You'd have to be much more well rounded in tech than that to actually work in tech.

Mac, PC, Linux, Networking basics all required... and in this shop AWS, HP Network gear, and Dell server gear, AND MAYBE surprise us with a little commercial class Xerox printer and their hacked up Linux controller experience, or experience with Avaya Phone gear, no matter how small, a plus. That Xerox thing would be a total bonus, though. LOL!

Oh yeah, medium fluent in bash, powershell, or something that shows you can write basic scripts for automation, also a bonus.

Brownie points if you can plan a datacenter for space, equipment racks, power requirements for the electrician, network cabling plant for the building, conference room equipment, and what to do first when acquiring another company... but that's really just showing off that you want the Senior Engineer/Sysadmin title. :) But you'll have to earn the white hair with stuff like taking an angle grinder to the racks that someone else ordered wrong, out in the parking lot, to make the servers fit...

A security cert would also be nice. Or experience with PCI, FedRAMP, NIST Framework, whatever. We'd take what we could get. It ain't hard to figure out a candidate's weak spots.

Apple Genius == Burger Flipper without a whole bunch of the above checkboxes in addition to their "I booted it and it doesn't work" skillset. It wouldn't just be a challenge to get them up to speed hiring them, it'd be downright cruel.
Booting a Mac and saying "Yup, it has a problem!" doesn't cut it... anywhere in real tech work. LOL![/QUOTE]

For fun, here's what iFixit says is inside a Mini 4... they've been threatened with cease and desist orders from Apple lawyers numerous times...
  • Apple A8 APL1011 SoC, with SK Hynix H9CKNNN8KTBUSR 2 GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
  • SK Hynix H2JTDG8UD1BMR 16 GB NAND flash
  • NXP Semiconductors 65V10 NFC controller
  • NXP Semiconductors LPC18B1UK (Apple M8 motion co-processor)
  • Apple 338S1213 audio codec
  • Universal Scientific Industrial 339200045 Wi-Fi module
  • Broadcom BCM5976 touchscreen controller
  • Texas Instruments 343S0583 touchscreen controller
And... batteries and a display. So yep, SOC in the Mini 4... with super wimpy RAM. Again.

I chuckled at SK Hyinx RAM and Flash... that's incredibly cheap junk memory. I shoved some of their RAM in a desktop I cared literally nothing about a couple years ago. Price point and quality was dirt cheap.
Not sure why they found two separate touchscreen controllers. That looks like a mistake in the article.

For fun, here's what iFixit says is inside a Mini 4... they've been threatened with cease and desist orders from Apple lawyers numerous times...
  • Apple A8 APL1011 SoC, with SK Hynix H9CKNNN8KTBUSR 2 GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
  • SK Hynix H2JTDG8UD1BMR 16 GB NAND flash
  • NXP Semiconductors 65V10 NFC controller
  • NXP Semiconductors LPC18B1UK (Apple M8 motion co-processor)
  • Apple 338S1213 audio codec
  • Universal Scientific Industrial 339200045 Wi-Fi module
And... batteries and a display. So yep, SOC in the Mini 4... with super wimpy RAM. Again.

I chuckled at SK Hyinx RAM and Flash... that's incredibly cheap junk memory. I shoved some of their RAM in a desktop I cared literally nothing about a couple years ago. Price point and quality was dirt cheap.
Not sure why they found two separate touchscreen controllers. That looks like a mistake in the article.

I don’t get the RAM thing, well chicken or the egg, if it wasn’t for bloat ware would you even need more than 1gb?

I don’t get the RAM thing, well chicken or the egg, if it wasn’t for bloat ware would you even need more than 1gb?

RAM is the ultra fast storage an operating system uses for the stuff that needs to happen “right now”. For simplicity sake in this discussion, if you power it off, anything in it is gone.

Flash is slow, exceedingly slow compared to RAM, longer term storage for data.

Operating systems do various tricks to maximize bringing everything possible into RAM and guessing what will be needed by the processor before it needs it. If the processor has to wait for something to be fetched from flash, it’s an eternity in compute time.

The assumption I’m making without running a simulator or messing with debug tools on iOS, is that the iOS operating system finally bloated to a point it either barely or won’t fit into 1 GB of RAM. So every app has to wait to push some unused chunk of the OS out of RAM to get the app data.

That’s massively oversimplified but generally accurate and would explain why Apple dumped the Mini 2 & 3 support for iOS 13. But not the 4. It has 2 GB.

Apple has always been stingy on RAM in mobile devices.

Android devices have oodles of the stuff but also suffer from the manufacturers not having proper upgrade channels built for the OS. Pixel changed that.

So you COULD run new versions of Android on their device if you could just figure out how to get it IN there. And then some hardware device doesn’t work because that manufacturer built a custom driver.

Both pretty much treat the consumer paying $1000 for a device like crap, just in different ways. LOL. These flagship things are cranked out for about $200 each at this point. Buying one that the maker promised to support for ten years really isn’t outrageous at the capitalization levels of these companies. You’re going to drop it and crack it too, so right to repair and repairability would also be significantly important. I can have a Dell fixed on site by a tech in a truck for a song, money wise. No shipping sensitive data away.

As it is today, tack on about 30% to the price of any Apple gadget for AppleCare+ if you want a couple of shots at being a klutz. LOL. Samsung has similar. And drive it to them yourself, or ship it. expose your company data to their unseen repair facilities, if it’s broken so far it can’t be wiped, etc. Or be able to watch the Dell tech in person. Apple really needs to fix this. Shipping away machines that are sealed is a massive security breach waiting to happen.

And of course the cellular carriers will sell you insurance too... LOL. It’s all an industry saying “We know we stopped engineering mobile devices to survive mobile use, you pay for it...”

Gorilla Glass version 47 will be out soon I hear. Joking of course. Because glass is a brilliant thing to make a mobile device out of. Hahaha.

Thinner ! Thinner ! Thinner ! Yelled the morons. Then put the things in a $50 rubber case. LOL.

The slow acceptance of the consumer of various things in tech fascinates me:

- Rental software that’s never done. Weekly updates on your bandwidth dime.
- Incredibly fragile mobile devices.
- Consumer paid device insurance that costs almost as much as buying a new device, but is easier for those on the monthly payment plan for life thing who can’t drop $1000 at any time in their budget.
- Less and less interesting features added to mobile devices at keynotes and people still acting like it’s interesting enough to camp out for the keynote and the devices. That was always stupidly silly anyway, but now it’s almost pitiful.
- Rental phones on multi year payment plans. Nobody does this on laptops I hope, but I suppose they probably do. Just on a credit card instead of owing a carrier.
- Carrier data plans being more important than phone service. Ha. And the various legal ways out of calling something that’s actually limited, “Unlimited” AFTER Verizon LOST that lawsuit. Lawyers are amazing.
- The ridiculous number of music outlets and still the record labels managed to survive because now they’re the aggregator they pretended to be when Apple tried to disrupt them. Meanwhile video went the opposite way and the distribution systems took over making shows and Networks only remain relevant by forcing bundling. LOL. Imagine music doing that. “You want this album from Artist A you have to buy Artists B and C also.” I shouldn’t give them ideas. Ha.
- Mobile gaming. Holy crap how do people have time and money for the massive flood of games? We have developers that judging by their discussions on our chat system that is ALL they spend money on. I get it, it’s like aviation, but it’s a game... and the numbers are pushing $1000 a year or more easily with most of them. NOT including monthly fees or in game purchases. Just the initial games.

The other one that surprised me is podcasts. Apple literally created the tech that enabled the things. Made them accessible. Easy to find. Etc. Then fell insanely far behind in app quality for playing them. Even on iOS. Castbox and others put their app to complete shame on their own platform. You think you’d be proud of something if your former product is in the name. Then they also trashed iTunes.

iTunes was long in the tooth for sure but they could have fixed it at any time. Somewhere they lost their pride in creating that one too. Apple Music? Not great. Okay. But not great. Verizon is giving it away for life at this point on certain phone plans. For being the first company to bust the recording industry channel wide open, they sure went a sad direction on that. Less catalog, higher prices, it all zipped right past them, especially the streaming subscription thing.

Lots of stuff they made out of thin air, they just totally missed where it was going in recent years. Other stuff unheard of like insurance for a phone? They were on it. So strange.

Quite a bit of it is they lost their moxie for risk and a huge talent in Jobs. They make plenty of money still, but so does Budweiser. LOL. Nobody reaches for a Bud Light when seeking out something new and interesting. Haha.

Interestingly Microsoft seems to have attracted a younger engineering crowd and leadership willing to risk again. The Surface lineup is fairly impressive. HP and Dell still yawners. Lenovo, a couple interesting things. The Carbon series is pretty impressive.

MacBook Pro once was way ahead, it’s not anymore. Quality is slipping too. Four of our corporate ones have been back to Apple now of the current generation.

Mac Pro - always overpriced forever, but insanely so now. Everyone I know doing high end editing work has built a Hackintosh with better hardware at half the price. If not at work, at home for sure. If they haven’t just replaced whatever software they were editing with altogether.

RAM apparently. Mini 2/3 1G, Mini 4 2G. Which awesome feature used up a Gig and couldn't simply be disabled? Do tell. This will be good.

No feature has to use a gig to make a gig no longer usable. It's the straw that broke the camel's back, some feature that only requires 100k but puts it past the point of reasonable usability.

And, let's be honest, there's a pretty good chance 13 would *run* on a 2 or 3, but that it is simply horribly slow and a bad user experience. Since UX is the butter on Apple's bread, they're not gonna ship something that's a bit rancid.

Android hasn't copied much from Apple in quite a while, other than the camera notch. LOL.

Not true... But I'm not going to go look at who came up with what feature, when. Hell, I was listening to TWiT recently and they were saying how Android had nothing new this year and everything had been copied from Apple.

Not sure where you saw any "frothing". If you don't want a tech discussion, don't have one.

Not much of a "discussion".

In the TECH world? Hell yes. Burger flippers. They don't even know enough to be hired as a Jr. IT person at most companies, because the company IT guy or gal has to know software and hardware basics, as well as network and other basics, AND must know it cross platform.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have made SO much money as an IT consultant purely because NOBODY is "cross platform". In fact, when my company was a measly three employees, I was on retainer with a Fortune 500 company because they literally had nobody who was cross platform!

And just because they only work on Macs doesn't mean that they have no other skills, it merely means they prefer to work on Macs or work for Apple or work in a retail environment instead of an office environment or...

Did they say that both controllers were in the same unit?

Apple builds so many units that they do sometimes use multiple vendors' parts in different units... And they have multiple different companies building the same product sometimes as well.

Thinner ! Thinner ! Thinner ! Yelled the morons. Then put the things in a $50 rubber case. LOL.

A $50 rubber case that triples its thickness.

The slow acceptance of the consumer of various things in tech fascinates me:

- Rental software that’s never done.

Software that's "never done" has been around since software existed, and long predates software-as-a-service.

- Incredibly fragile mobile devices.

Meh... Not THAT bad. I wouldn't go dropping an iPhone onto concrete on purpose these days like I could with my original iPhone... But if I drop this one in the sink it's not fried either.

- Consumer paid device insurance that costs almost as much as buying a new device, but is easier for those on the monthly payment plan for life thing who can’t drop $1000 at any time in their budget.

Looks like AppleCare+ is less than 20%... Not "almost as much as buying a new device".

- Mobile gaming. Holy crap how do people have time and money for the massive flood of games? We have developers that judging by their discussions on our chat system that is ALL they spend money on. I get it, it’s like aviation, but it’s a game... and the numbers are pushing $1000 a year or more easily with most of them. NOT including monthly fees or in game purchases. Just the initial games.

How on earth are they finding that many games that actually cost money???

Most mobile games now are freemium, and get you on the in-app purchases. Get you hooked on the first 100 levels, then make harder levels and sell "boosters" you have to use to get past them. There's definitely some psychologists working on this stuff now too.

Interestingly Microsoft seems to have attracted a younger engineering crowd and leadership willing to risk again.

Satya Nadella has done, and is doing, a fantastic job as Microsoft's CEO for sure.

No feature has to use a gig to make a gig no longer usable. It's the straw that broke the camel's back, some feature that only requires 100k but puts it past the point of reasonable usability.

Duh. Bloat is bloat. If there isn’t enough RAM to not swap, you either write more efficiently or you just pretend the hardware is the problem and screw the buyer into buying new. Whole industry has people convinced hardware goes stale like bread, or that it wasn’t a willful decision to write stuff that isn’t efficient with older hardware. Throw it away, there’s always next year’s model! LOL.

You still didn’t list any amazing features that 13 got that a) couldn’t be disabled on older hardware, and b) made it so worth it, it’s worth buying a newer device with only one more Gig of RAM and a slightly faster processor for $1000.

Incremental never ending upgrades. Rental software and hardware. And the general public thinks it’s normal. That’s the amazing part.

“I need a new phone. This one is slow.”

Nah. You just need better vendors. But you won’t find them. They don’t exist anymore.

And, let's be honest, there's a pretty good chance 13 would *run* on a 2 or 3, but that it is simply horribly slow and a bad user experience. Since UX is the butter on Apple's bread, they're not gonna ship something that's a bit rancid.

LOL LOL LOL. 13 was in beta for what, a year? And still had three MAJOR security problems in the first MONTH? Yeah. UX is great so far. Update quick. It’s literally dangerous.

“You’re holding it wrong.”

Apple pretends to care about UX but really any company that glues devices shut and doesn’t offer data recovery in the modern world, not even by a trusted third party (of which there are thousands capable — they won’t even offer a referral to one with a disclaimer that they’re not involved) truly doesn’t care. Just fact.

That and any company who’ll tell someone they need a $500 repair for a bent pin anyone willing to look who has a screwdriver and a brain can see...

Yeah. Bad UX for sure. ONLY IF you KNOW how the rest of the industry handles repairs. If you don’t? They seem like nice folks.

Not true... But I'm not going to go look at who came up with what feature, when. Hell, I was listening to TWiT recently and they were saying how Android had nothing new this year and everything had been copied from Apple.

Surprised you still watch Leo. I quit when he was going through his divorce and showed his dick pics he had on his work laptop for his girlfriend. LOL. Sleaze.

I have made SO much money as an IT consultant purely because NOBODY is "cross platform". In fact, when my company was a measly three employees, I was on retainer with a Fortune 500 company because they literally had nobody who was cross platform!

You know that just means they’re a really stupid company, right? LOL. If a Fortune 500 can’t find well-rounded experts to hire, something was very very wrong with them. Big time. That or they didn’t like having staff and liked the temporary nature of consultants better. Some do that for the book cooking. You’d know, I wouldn’t. But we’ve never had trouble finding IT experts who were multi-platform at any company I’ve worked at, including “Fortune 500” and privately held.

And just because they only work on Macs doesn't mean that they have no other skills, it merely means they prefer to work on Macs or work for Apple or work in a retail environment instead of an office environment or...

You didn’t read very accurately. Read the statement you clipped again and see what I actually said. There’s a key word in it. “Only”.

Did they say that both controllers were in the same unit?

Apple builds so many units that they do sometimes use multiple vendors' parts in different units... And they have multiple different companies building the same product sometimes as well.

Very rare for anything other than screens, according to the people who actually take them apart and repair them at board level. Rare enough it’s almost never over the entire product line.

I was just impressed at their low parts count, but it was in response to your comment that they use SOC stuff. That’s relatively recent. Mini 2/3 were mostly discrete. Mini 4 is definitely SOC. Which is nifty but not particularly revolutionary or anything. Even their SOC is “kinda” SOC.

True SOC is something like the ESP8266-E12. That’s a nifty device, but nobody will be building a tablet out of it. I have a few on their way here from China. Gotta love cheap electronic crap from China via AliExpress for hobby stuff!

A $50 rubber case that triples its thickness.

Yup. Stupid isn’t it? Just build the things in a proper case for mobile use to start with.

Software that's "never done" has been around since software existed, and long predates software-as-a-service.

But it wouldn’t stop working if you didn’t pay the monthly bill. That’s the fun of the modern tech industry. The traditional view of tech purchases for a business are that they give an advantage and are an asset. Now they also add a permanent liability to the books that can’t be paused or stopped. Free money no matter if the vendor doesn’t deliver anything that adds value.

Apple isn’t the biggest bad guy at all in the rental software game. Mostly because they don’t write much popular software. Niche stuff.

Microsoft on the other hand. Renting Office. Absolutely brilliant. That crap hasn’t been truly good, ever. And new features? LOL. Nope. Nothing amazing. But rents it out now per user, monthly. I need to write some software people will pay monthly for that never changes. Cash machine. Hahaha.

Meh... Not THAT bad. I wouldn't go dropping an iPhone onto concrete on purpose these days like I could with my original iPhone... But if I drop this one in the sink it's not fried either.

Oh it’s that bad. In the phone world anyway. I could throw any wired or mobile phone against a wall as hard as I could throw it when I started in telecom. And it would still work afterward. Fragile is fragile. Glass is glass. No matter how much “Gorilla” Corning adds to it. Hahaha.

Looks like AppleCare+ is less than 20%... Not "almost as much as buying a new device".

It’s 30%. And 2 x 30% per incident to do two replacements. You do have to read what I say not what you assume I said, but that probably explains why you say it’s a rant. Ha. Every word.

How on earth are they finding that many games that actually cost money???

Most mobile games now are freemium, and get you on the in-app purchases. Get you hooked on the first 100 levels, then make harder levels and sell "boosters" you have to use to get past them. There's definitely some psychologists working on this stuff now too.

Hell if I know! LOL. They all talk about what they buy at the annual Steam sale and throughout the year and I count it up and it’s impressive. I suppose they think the same thing about me paying $500 to fill an airplane with gas to fly to nowhere around here in flyover country. “Where’d you fly to?” “Pueblo.” LOL.

Satya Nadella has done, and is doing, a fantastic job as Microsoft's CEO for sure.

Yup. That OS still completely kicks Apple‘a ass for built in corporate control functionality and centralized management. Like Apple’s still is, and easily will remain, over a decade, maybe two, behind. Even though we don’t and can’t yet trust it because of various non-tech political reasons, Azure AD is really damn impressive when linked to corporate AD. Centralized worldwide auth and control? Amazing tool. We have a partial deployment of it for licensing keys and it’s frogging so far ahead of any other auth and control system for an OS, it’s amazing. And then add in EASY pre-login VPN mandates if you have to go that far (most places don’t, but for those who do... impressive) and damn, that’s a system that’s incredibly easy to pass a security audit with.

Apple repackaged a Linux LDAP server, poorly. Hahahaha. And it never worked right. They’re absolutely clueless about back-end or servers. Single Apple ID is sooooo utterly broken. Nobody works with a single ID anymore. Everyone has work, home, and other.

Which reminds me. You thought maybe they fixed that a mobile device could handle two control keys in iOS 13 at one point. I should go try and turn on forced device management on my second GSuite account attached to this device and see if it barfs on it, as it has for years. Only the iOS devices keep us from using that feature on that particular GSuite account. The Android devices happily handle multiple workspaces controlled by the information owner.

Have some other coding to do right now. I’ll see if iOS 13 blows up with two GSuite control keys later this weekend if I get to it on the to-do list.

And before that a pet and extra treat for the rescue pup girl. Today is five years since she first came to visit the house with the rescue representative to make sure we had a good home for her. I love writing about and talking about tech stuff, but in the end I don’t give a damn about any of it compared to real life. Tech is just tech.

Fun toy and can make a lot of money if used right, but usually just used as a dumb terminal. Most companies would operate just fine with green screens and decent data entry screens ha. No mouse needed. :)

She almost gets it.

“I don’t want to buy a new phone!”

On monthly payments. Every two years.

Until she stops, she’ll keep paying the marketing guy who just argued against his own customer’s better interests to the press.

And the press guy lapped it up so hard he didn’t notice he made a statement at the beginning of the article and then gave exactly the opposite examples of what he said. LOL.

The only entities better at making excuses about their work than big software companies are government and weathermen.

The best false premise is the most obvious one. There’s no one or the other required between quality and features. That’s the big lie the software industry has everyone convinced of.

If it sucks, don’t release it.

“We can either add a lane to the bridge or fix the fact that we built it wrong and it’s about to fall down, not both.”

In any other engineering discipline, that’s how you get sued. You have contractual obligations to meet standards.

Which is why software engineering, isn’t real engineering. It won’t be until it has that level of discipline and customers contract for standards to be met.

The amazing part is cyber security insurers and lawyers haven’t figured out how to put the liability for security holes in OSes back on their makers yet. That’ll be a red letter day that changes a whole lot in software.

It’ll happen eventually. When a tool breaks when utilized as expected and hurts the operator of the tool, the manufacturer is sued.

It’s coming. Not sure when consumers will demand it, but it’s coming.

You can see a dim lightbulb of the idea starting to make it into Congressional pea-brains in the video of Zuckerberg getting questioned. They’re just beginning to figure it out that big tech is a danger to all without any liability for its actions.

Duh. Bloat is bloat. If there isn’t enough RAM to not swap, you either write more efficiently or you just pretend the hardware is the problem and screw the buyer into buying new. Whole industry has people convinced hardware goes stale like bread, or that it wasn’t a willful decision to write stuff that isn’t efficient with older hardware. Throw it away, there’s always next year’s model! LOL.

So, if you're given the choice between writing something that takes advantage of your latest and greatest hardware vs writing something that's optimized for hardware that's several years old, what would you do?

If you have a finite amount of developer resources in house, do you use them to make an existing feature work perfectly on every device you've ever sold, or do you use them to create new features while maintaining an acceptable level of reliability and compatibility on the last few generations of hardware?

If you think your answers will be any different than Tim Cook's, maybe you should go to Apple's board and tell them how much better you'd do. If your answers are correct, they're sure to hire you!

You still didn’t list any amazing features that 13 got that a) couldn’t be disabled on older hardware, and b) made it so worth it, it’s worth buying a newer device with only one more Gig of RAM and a slightly faster processor for $1000.

I haven't had time to even pay attention to much of what's in it. I upgraded as of 13.1.2 and it's worked just fine. It's got automatic dark mode, but other than that I haven't had a chance to notice much difference. Shortcuts sounds like it could be really cool but I literally have not opened it once yet.

In addition, many times the improvements are new API calls under the hood, and I'm not currently a registered iOS developer.

Given those two things, I could hardly give a detailed answer on new features... So I didn't.

Incremental never ending upgrades. Rental software and hardware. And the general public thinks it’s normal. That’s the amazing part.

So you'd prefer they just stop working on them and sell the original iPhone for 10 years? :dunno: :rofl:

LOL LOL LOL. 13 was in beta for what, a year? And still had three MAJOR security problems in the first MONTH? Yeah. UX is great so far. Update quick. It’s literally dangerous.

So you're saying they should have spent more developer resources on compatibility with older hardware, and less on security? :dunno:

Apple pretends to care about UX but really any company that glues devices shut and doesn’t offer data recovery in the modern world, not even by a trusted third party (of which there are thousands capable — they won’t even offer a referral to one with a disclaimer that they’re not involved) truly doesn’t care. Just fact.

No, it's not. Apple has done more to make backup simple and effective than any other company, so that its users shouldn't have to work with data recovery services. You have to try hard to not back up your Apple gear these days. If you need a data recovery service, that's your own fault.

Surprised you still watch Leo. I quit when he was going through his divorce and showed his dick pics he had on his work laptop for his girlfriend. LOL. Sleaze.

I never watched him, and I'm not aware of what you're talking about... And frankly, I don't care. He hosts entertaining, informative shows and is very good at what he does.

You know that just means they’re a really stupid company, right? LOL. If a Fortune 500 can’t find well-rounded experts to hire, something was very very wrong with them. Big time. That or they didn’t like having staff and liked the temporary nature of consultants better. Some do that for the book cooking. You’d know, I wouldn’t. But we’ve never had trouble finding IT experts who were multi-platform at any company I’ve worked at, including “Fortune 500” and privately held.

Well, I must admit I have had some bad experiences with them from the customer perspective! :rofl: But really no different than any average company of that size, sadly.

We were the only IT consulting firm there that I was aware of. The IT people I was working with on-site were all full-time employees.

Also, sorry, I don't really believe you when it comes to everyone being cross platform everywhere. IME, that's quite rare. Most companies don't give two ****s if their IT people are cross platform. They usually only use a single major platform, and if they do use multiple platforms generally have specialists in each platform and managers who are aware of what's going on on both platforms but don't have the skills to actually administer machines on both platforms. Companies that use multiple platforms and are too small to support specialists on both are pretty rare in general. Telecom may be different.

You didn’t read very accurately. Read the statement you clipped again and see what I actually said. There’s a key word in it. “Only”.

Here is the statement I clipped: "In the TECH world? Hell yes. Burger flippers. They don't even know enough to be hired as a Jr. IT person at most companies, because the company IT guy or gal has to know software and hardware basics, as well as network and other basics, AND must know it cross platform."

It does not contain the word "Only". Going back to the previous post, the "only" place where you used the word "only" was where you said you wouldn't interview them if the "only" thing on their resumé was Apple Genius. I never disagreed with that. I disagreed with your original assertion that they're no better than burger flippers.

Very rare for anything other than screens, according to the people who actually take them apart and repair them at board level. Rare enough it’s almost never over the entire product line.

Hence, why I said "sometimes." It does happen occasionally.

That’s the fun of the modern tech industry. The traditional view of tech purchases for a business are that they give an advantage and are an asset. Now they also add a permanent liability to the books that can’t be paused or stopped. Free money no matter if the vendor doesn’t deliver anything that adds value.

OTOH, up until recently I was working with a piece of server software that was very expensive - Depending on the size of the license, it could easily run into six figures. You know what helped our business a lot? Coordinating loans to buy the software. Said vendor is now offering SaaS - And now the clients don't have to worry about maintaining a(nother) server - It ran best using on-premise bare metal, which is becoming somewhat rare these days!

I think the SaaS trend has come about due to maybe 80-90% of organizations not having the ability to keep the correct expertise on hand to not only deal with various desktop support issues, but also to ensure the security of their networks and servers. When the bean counters look at giant up-front expenses *AND* the liability risk of having potentially insecure servers because that one guy who you hired for infosec turned out to not know what he was doing, SaaS makes a LOT of sense.

I'm not saying I like it - But I absolutely understand it.

Apple isn’t the biggest bad guy at all in the rental software game. Mostly because they don’t write much popular software. Niche stuff.

I'm having a hard time even thinking of anything Apple does in the SaaS space? iWork is free for anyone who buys Apple hardware, which is a requirement to run it, so it's essentially free for everyone. Their creative stuff is, likewise, something that is purchased and isn't available under a subscription model to my knowledge. Their OS is likewise free.

If anything, they were the last big holdouts on the rent-everything-for-one-low-monthly-fee. The Apple Music streaming service was something they were pretty much forced to do to compete with Spotify et al. I still buy my music and don't subscribe to any streaming services.

Microsoft on the other hand. Renting Office. Absolutely brilliant. That crap hasn’t been truly good, ever. And new features? LOL. Nope. Nothing amazing. But rents it out now per user, monthly. I need to write some software people will pay monthly for that never changes. Cash machine. Hahaha.

Hey, at least they put the entire UI through a blender every so often so that they can sell a bunch of training materials for the new version! :rolleyes: :rofl:

Back