Interior upgrade PA28 warrior

ZackJ

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
inferno8428
my Latest project with my bird is upgrading the interior - got a local upholstery store to quote me a reasonable deal on leather upgrades. On ripping out the insides I was surprised to find that the wall panels did not have plastic backing - Infact they were this vinyl - cardboard material. Does anyone know where I could purchase sheets of this material for my upholstery individual to fabricate panels?

I wanted something more custom with diamond stitching, calf leather - usual quotes for these would range around 7k for material alone, then another 2-3 for labor. This guy is charging a little cheaper than airtex and also Includes labor. Hopefully if this works out, I’ll post pictures!!

Material I pulled out looks like this...

Attachments

• C1F13F6E-9151-4DEF-BB6C-79B214A972F9.jpeg
    C1F13F6E-9151-4DEF-BB6C-79B214A972F9.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 105
Any material you get needs to have those burn certs. Without them your new interior is unairworthy.

I guess airtex is alright for the cost but I am not overly impressed with their quality. There is something nice about having a one off interior In an otherwise ordinary airplane.

don’t forget to add insulation behind the interior panels. Trust me, you’ll appreciate it down the road. But remember the burn cert requirement.

I guess airtex is alright for the cost but I am not overly impressed with their quality. There is something nice about having a one off interior In an otherwise ordinary airplane.
I am considering TnWings. Has anyone used them? any reviews?

https://www.airtexinteriors.com/

I did my interior with their products. Very satisfied.
I purchased my plane 2 years ago and am only starting to get around to interior now. They put an airtex interior in my plane in the late 90's and it has NOT withstood the test of time. The carpet is shedding a disgusting dry-rotted foam all over and the wall panels are falling to pieces. I will NOT be putting airtex in my plane after I rip out the remains.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good avionics shop in southern CA? preferably in the Riverside or Orange county area???

I purchased my plane 2 years ago and am only starting to get around to interior now. They put an airtex interior in my plane in the late 90's and it has NOT withstood the test of time. The carpet is shedding a disgusting dry-rotted foam all over and the wall panels are falling to pieces. I will NOT be putting airtex in my plane after I rip out the remains.
This is the first complaint like this I've read about Airtex interiors...usually the complaints are just that they aren't as nice as a fine custom shop's work. Can you tell which of the Airtex materials were used in the wall panels...was it vinyl, standard cloth, or one of the premium fabrics? Mounted on the corrugated poly backing board, or were they using a different board material in the 90s? Do have any pics of the wear you'd be willing to share? Any unusual usage or storage parameters for the aircraft that would have led to accelerated wear on the interior?

Sorry for all the questions...was just about to pull the trigger on an Airtex interior for mu PA28, but now yoi've got me worried.

This is the first complaint like this I've read about Airtex interiors...usually the complaints are just that they aren't as nice as a fine custom shop's work. Can you tell which of the Airtex materials were used in the wall panels...was it vinyl, standard cloth, or one of the premium fabrics? Mounted on the corrugated poly backing board, or were they using a different board material in the 90s? Do have any pics of the wear you'd be willing to share? Any unusual usage or storage parameters for the aircraft that would have led to accelerated wear on the interior?

Sorry for all the questions...was just about to pull the trigger on an Airtex interior for mu PA28, but now yoi've got me worried.
Vinyl, mounted on the poly backing board. I can get some pictures, I looked around and didn't find any on hand currently.

Plane was always hangared, but not temperature controlled.

It's not available for Piper's but Selkirk will be my next interior. I also replaced my crappy carpet with a pre-cut vinyl floor from SCS interiors and I was quite impressed with it.

@MuseChaser

Here's some pictures of the airtex interior. I'm sure it was poorly installed, but even so I'm not a fan. You can see the thin nearly-useless rubber insulation on the sides and the lumpy interior with the board behind it. The carpet is shedding foam at an unbelievable rate. I'm in process of removing it all and will have a separate thread on the progress of my interior.
IMG_4604.JPG IMG_4609.JPG IMG_20191228_141939.jpg

I didn’t replace the carpet, only the panels. Behind the panels I put 1 in thick closed foam insulation (FAA burn cert and all), looks nothing like your pictures. If I get out to the hangar today (need to shovel snow away from door so it doesn’t become block ice) I’ll see if I can get good photos. I’m happy with the Airtex, but next time (if ever) I’ll pay someone with more practice to install it.

Mine is vinyl & cloth. I did the door years ago to see if I liked the colors. When I did the interior (2011) turns out the cloth had been put into the premium category but as a previous customer, I got the rest of it at the original price.

I put Airtex in my 65 Mooney with original interior. It was way lighter and smelled so good. Go for the leather.
Airtex is not premium but is nice and won’t trap moisture like the old stuff. It is reasonably durable but I think the carpet could be the weakest link. It is just a bit too low rent so don’t expect it to hold up.

Some shops use Kydex a burn certified plastic backing for side panels

My dad put airtext in the Cadinal about 14 years ago including side panels and seat covers (no carpet or headliner), the airplane is almost always hangered but FWIW its holding up pretty well, there are no pulled stitches or holes. The pilot seat looks (used every flight right) almost the same as the back seat (used rarely) except a few more scuffs here & there. The sidawalls are sheet aluminum with the upholstery pulled over the edges, it has those automotive snap thingys that hold it to the airplane's frames.

Last edited:
Interior upgrade update!
Man this is painful - and I haven’t even received the upgraded leather.

Back