Intercepting a Bearing, RMI

Camp2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Osirus
Hello,

Could someone kindly explain, in detail, how the intercept angles match the RMI indications as shown in the attached pdf? I dont understand it at all. thank you.

kindly see attached pdf.

Attachments

• Intercepting_Bearing.pdf
    108.8 KB · Views: 50
Is this for a written? There are no longer any RMI questions on the instrument written.

Bob

Ahh thats good to know. However, I think I do have to know it because it is appears to be a currency requirement. (https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to...you-need-an-ipc-instrument-proficiency-check/)
Um... there is no mention of an RMI in that article. The regulaion requires "intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems." That can be GPS, VOR, LOC, ILS, etc, etc. You pretty much do that on every single instrument approach you fly and it does not require an RMI to be installed in your aircraft.

Edit: That said, the secondary CDI on installations like the G1000 at just like an RMI, so it's helpful to understand [Edit: Deleted]

Last edited:
Hello,

Could someone kindly explain, in detail, how the intercept angles match the RMI indications as shown in the attached pdf? I dont understand it at all. thank you.

kindly see attached pdf.

Where did you get this POS of a question? It is poorly worded, and B is actually wrong, the upper right indicator shows the aircraft about to intercept a bearing TO the station, not FROM.

Where did you get this POS of a question? It is poorly worded, and B is actually wrong, the upper right indicator shows the aircraft about to intercept a bearing TO the station, not FROM.
Yeah. I just looked closely. They are screwed up.

Um... there is no mention of an RMI in that article. The regulaion requires "intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems." That can be GPS, VOR, LOC, ILS, etc, etc. You pretty much do that on every single instrument approach you fly and it does not require an RMI to be installed in your aircraft.

Edit: That said, the secondary CDI on installations like the G1000 at just like an RMI, so it's helpful to understand [Edit: Deleted]

Thank you for the response. I thought its the same principle regardless of Navaid.

Its from Jeppesen. I was thinking it was wrong as well.

Thank you for the response. I thought its the same principle regardless of Navaid.
It is. But it's more about the RMI than the navaid. Do you have an RMI? If not, it's irrelevant.

An RMI is a pointer which always points directly to a station. It might be a GPS waypoint or anything else. Fortunately, navigation in the real world is much easier than on the old quizzes. Let's make it modern - here's a G1000.
upload_2019-8-5_12-18-33.png

We are GPS direct to KTTA (my home base). That's the magenta needle. It's a CDI.
NAV 1, however is tuned to the Liberty VOR. That's the cyan needle.
Basically, it's just an RMI and all it is doing is pointing to the VOR station. To go direct to the VOR (using the RMI pointer, all that would be required is to aligh out heading with the pointer. To intercept the 150 degree radial to LIB, we turn toward he needle. Since we can't urn on a dime, at 330, we would be paralleling.

upload_2019-8-5_12-36-54.png

Having completed the turn we can see that our heading is now 330, but the station is about 7 degrees off to our left. We would, as in the olden days of ADF and RMIs, turn past the cyan needle and intercept.

But most of us wouldn't do that in the real world. I wouldn't. My use of the RMI is pretty much limited to flying a nonprecision VOR approach for practice. I'd have the approach loaded in the GPS, fly the magenta line, but have the RMI tuned to the VOR to monitor the required raw data.

Hello,

kindly see attached pdf.
I'm in a big hurry right now, so I'm sticking my neck out here... not reading beyond A because that looks correct. You're west of the NDB (tail of II needle), Your heading will intercept the 255° at 30°. When I log in next I'm sure someone will have pointed out the error of my ways. :rolleyes:

I'm in a big hurry right now, so I'm sticking my neck out here... not reading beyond A because that looks correct. You're west of the NDB (tail of II needle), Your heading will intercept the 255° at 30°. When I log in next I'm sure someone will have pointed out the error of my ways. :rolleyes:

thank you....I think I see it now. Its confusing because the second thinner arrow (ADF pointer?) is not required and its just simply noise and they do not say this in the question. I also agree that B is wrong.

thank you....I think I see it now. Its confusing because the second thinner arrow (ADF pointer?) is not required and its just simply noise and they do not say this in the question. I also agree that B is wrong.
The push buttons in the bottom corners select VOR or NDB ADF. All four set the same way. Usually the II is set to NDB ADF, I set to VOR.

First of all, the first sentence of the question is not in English... The rest is OK.

When referring to magnetic bearings, I was taught and have always referred to them as "Bearing From" and "Course To."
All of the answers are correct except B is obviously wrong and should be (Course) Bearing To.

D. Should likewise also be "Course To."

By default, the single line pointer is always ADF and the double line pointer is VOR/GPS. In this case, the settings are reversed. That adds to the confusion, I'm sure.

This stuff is still relevant, since even an electronic HSI will have single and double line pointers...

All of the answers are correct except B is obviously wrong and should be (Course) Bearing To.
Yep, having looked at them all now, I agree.

By default, the single line pointer is always ADF and the double line pointer is VOR/GPS. In this case, the settings are reversed.
Everywhere I've been the || was usually set to ADF. Never had GPS on an RMI though.

When intercepting, the head of the needle will move down (toward the tail of the airplane) and the tail of the needle will move up. Remembering this will keep you from being confused about whether you're moving closer to the bearing or already past it.

When intercepting, the head of the needle will move down (toward the tail of the airplane) and the tail of the needle will move up. Remembering this will keep you from being confused about whether you're moving closer to the bearing or already past it.

Yep. That is pretty much all you need to know.

All that push the head and pull the tail crap has confused pilots for a hundred years...

Yep. That is pretty much all you need to know.

All that push the head and pull the tail crap has confused pilots for a hundred years...
I never could use either version. One ADF lesson (no RMI) during my training ended with me saying "your airplane" to my CFI and refusing to take the controls for the rest of the flight. This was a big problem because my home base had an off-airport NDB Approach so I couldn't even "cheat" by homing. It wasn't until I was working on my CFII that I figured out the solution which worked for me - when in doubt turn to parallel the course. The needle will point to the course line, making interception, correction or confirmation easy. On the approach, It only takes a few seconds to do.

I practiced teaching the technique to a friend who also had NDB approach issues. He ended up flying them better than I.

Just in time for GPS :D :D

When referring to magnetic bearings, I was taught and have always referred to them as "Bearing From" and "Course To."

I don’t ever recall hearing that. Not saying it’s wrong, but I always used “bearing to/from”. The important thing was to specify which to avoid confusion.

Back