Intentional Actual

BarryCooper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BarryCooper
Making small talk with my instructor a couple of weeks ago, he randomly asks to see my logbook. After giving it a thumb-thru, he asks how do I have almost 500 hrs but only 17 hrs actual instrument time. That got me to thinking....if I really ever wanted to be hired, besides finishing my CPL (passed the written last summer), I will probably need 75 hrs of actual. Soooo, my next trip to the beach, I chose an altitude that had me in the soup for 2 hrs. No precip, just a stable OVC35-55 layer.

Am I nuts?

Usually any professional job will want 75 hours of actual and/or simulated. It doesn’t have to be all actual. But the more actual you have, the better IMO.

Usually any professional job will want 75 hours of actual and/or simulated. It doesn’t have to be all actual. But the more actual you have, the better IMO.

For a first job?

I'd say as long as you have like 100hrs actually by the time you hit 2k TT

For a first job?

I'd say as long as you have like 100hrs actually by the time you hit 2k TT
I was just looking at a Caravan operator and they want at least 75 actual for PICs. For SICs it’s probably less than that.

Making small talk with my instructor a couple of weeks ago, he randomly asks to see my logbook. After giving it a thumb-thru, he asks how do I have almost 500 hrs but only 17 hrs actual instrument time. That got me to thinking....if I really ever wanted to be hired, besides finishing my CPL (passed the written last summer), I will probably need 75 hrs of actual. Soooo, my next trip to the beach, I chose an altitude that had me in the soup for 2 hrs. No precip, just a stable OVC35-55 layer.

Am I nuts?

Yes. If god had wanted you to fly he would have given you wings, lol. Go forth and playeth in the goo until thou haveth thy 75 hours.

I was just looking at a Caravan operator and they want at least 75 actual for PICs. For SICs it’s probably less than that.

Damn still on OE and you're looking at SE jobs? :rofl:

I kid!

Jebus, in this climate they are asking that? Are they paying six figures?

Am I nuts?
No. You’re having fun.

Am I nuts?

When I lived in Texas I would get up and be at the airport before sunrise. Usually in the summer the clouds would be around 1000 feet broken, so I would go up in a 172 and do a couple approaches. Around 8am the clouds would break up or go up higher and the fun would be over.

Cripes, you want actual come here. We get lots and lots of actual. Only problem is some of that actual has actual ice in it.

I have to believe their requirement for 75 hours of actual is incorrectly written. Here's the requirement from https://iflysouthern.com/job/pilots/:

"75 Hours Actual Instrument Time with no more than 25 hours simulated instrument time"

I'm pretty sure what they mean is that you must have 75 hours of instrument time (actual or simulated), with no more than 25 hours of simulated counting toward that. So, at least 50 hours of actual actual.

Otherwise, literally as written, it means that if you have >25 hours of simulated you are automatically disqualified from this position, even if you have 1000 hours of actual. Which clearly can't be what they mean.

Cripes, you want actual come here. We get lots and lots of actual. Only problem is some of that actual has actual ice in it.
While that's true, I was able to maintain IFR currency in Michigan year-round without ever asking someone to be my safety pilot. Out here it is MUCH harder to do that. Partly because of ice, which is a problem for more of the year, both because of the colder climate and the higher MIAs, but also because most of the time when it's IFR here, it's VLIFR and you're not getting back in, period. Often times the conditions are so widespread that there is no legal alternate to file. And during the summer there are long stretches where there just isn't any IMC suitable for flying approaches for hundreds of miles. This is in the interior far from the ocean or the Great Lakes, of course. Coastal New England is a different ballgame and sometimes I envy folks who live there... except when the Nor'easters hit!

I have to believe their requirement for 75 hours of actual is incorrectly written. Here's the requirement from https://iflysouthern.com/job/pilots/:

"75 Hours Actual Instrument Time with no more than 25 hours simulated instrument time"

I'm pretty sure what they mean is that you must have 75 hours of instrument time (actual or simulated), with no more than 25 hours of simulated counting toward that. So, at least 50 hours of actual actual.

Otherwise, literally as written, it means that if you have >25 hours of simulated you are automatically disqualified from this position, even if you have 1000 hours of actual. Which clearly can't be what they mean.

Yes, that struck me too. Poorly written that requirement is.

Back