Instrument Training: Who got training from their CFII in actual IMC?

Getting my current IFR candidate ready for his check ride. Nothing like a relaxing flight on a nice Fall afternoon. (No TSR, just clouds and rain...and a few bumps).
View attachment 56199
Lol!!! The first time I responded to this thread (several months back) the pic didn’t appear for whatever reason. Now....

1) if you were IMC I hope you had a quality radar, AND KNOW TRULY HIW TO USE IT.

2) if you visually picked your way around, you were not IMC.

My first instrument long cross country was in solid imc the entire flight from about a minute after take off. Got to our destination DA and saw nothing! Instructor calmly reminds me - execute the published missed. I do it. We hold for a couple laps. Then try again. This time landing pretty much at min. Got out, walked around, grabbed a Coke. I'll admit, I was pretty exhausted. Still had 2 more legs to go. That was 18 years ago but I remember that first real missed like it was yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have about five in actual now, including a couple of approaches down to 5-600. I ::really:: want a lot more actual experience before I go off on my own into the soup. Even with the rating, I'll probably grab a CFII on some foggy or otherwise benign IMC days to go practice. I'm still at the point where my heart jumps a little bit when I enter the cloud :eek:

Got a healthy bit, also did tons of work in a frasca without any visual at all, had two high time CFIIs, only screw up looking back was not just having one, both were partners and one did the plane work, the other the sim work, both high time ATPs, but too make chefs and all, still turned out fine though.

There’s nothing to get a pilot’s attention like flight training in actual, except flying solo in actual. The encompassing realization and stress that no one will get you out of it except you. Thinking about bad scenarios from equipment failures over hostile terrain in IMC that no amount of pilot skill will prevail over. There’s ways to simulate those things under foggles in VMC but they’re probably not worth their own inherent danger.

I got about 5 hours in actual durring my IFR training. It was extremely valuable.
I did a lot of training in the winter time after work durring night conditions.
One particular flight taught me some valuable lessons. Flying after work, I had not gotten much sleep the night before. I also did not have much actual IFR at the time.

After entering IMC I got so disoriented I couldn't keep the wings level. I told my CFII he was going to have to take over. He made me stay on the controls and had me watch the attitude indicator and as soon as a wing would drop he would tap the low side of the AI with a pencil and tell me to correct.
Making me battle through it was a very valuable lesson. Stay calm, follow your training.

As a follow up - We flew the next night in similar conditions. I was well rested and had no issues. It drove home the point not to be tangling with IMC when your not at your best.

I am very greatful to get IMC durring training.

You had a decent CFII! There’s a prominent philosophy these days of not taking flight students through demanding situations and those that practice it exclusively loose much valuable experience that can be gained no other way. In fact it is widespread now throughout most education venues.

Last edited:
I got about 5 hours of actual including a couple down to minimums. Glad I had an instructor beside me, it was an eye opener the first time I went into the clouds.

I cannot imagine getting a IR rating and not have several hours in IMC. Foggles are just not the same as actual.

My CFI was great about always going up in IMC and never cancelling a lesson for clouds. Then he went out of his way to ask for a clearance to keep us in the clouds. My long cross country was in solid IMC into Class Bavo airspace for one of the legs.

By the time I was done flying in clouds was not a big deal at all. I really appreciate what he did for me because he definitely did not have to go out of his way to get me that IMC time.

Back