Instrument Panel finish

the400kid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FLAAV8R
While having some new equipment added to my Commander 114, I had the avionics shop paint the metal panels a light gray in a satin finish, they used a PPG automotive paint.

While the job looks great, I'm not all that thrilled with the satin finish. Although it's not a high gloss, it is a bit shiny.

Any recommendations on how to cut down on the sheen, through the use of a fine sandpaper or chemical treatment?

New paint...

Why is it an issue on the panel? Or did they do the “dashboard” area in it?

Maybe use a scotch brite or steel wool.

no steel wool should ever be used on an airplane- ever never ! Corrosion issue if it rubs on aluminum it will leave behind “steel dust” deep down in the pores of the aluminum.

I’d think you were right that scotchbrite would cut the sheen but it’s going to go from looking freshly painted to janky as all get out looking fast doing it that way...

I powdercoated my new aluminum panel in the 172 a light grey. It's between "flat" and "Matte" and doesn't shine at all.

Jamey_Szalay_N2686U_Improvements.jpg

through the use of a fine sandpaper or chemical treatment?
FYI: any time you break the surface of the paint it tends to get dirty faster and more difficult to clean. A repaint with a flat paint would be a better recourse if possible. On occasion, we would have a panel flat paint flash shiny spots and the only long term fix was to initially repaint it vs trying to "dull" the areas.

FYI: any time you break the surface of the paint it tends to get dirty faster and more difficult to clean. A repaint with a flat paint would be a better recourse if possible. On occasion, we would have a panel flat paint flash shiny spots and the only long term fix was to initially repaint it vs trying to "dull" the areas.

Dismantling the panel to repaint would be an awful lot of work. I was hoping an easier solution would be suggested but guess I'll just learn to live with it.

I was hoping an easier solution would be suggested
FWIW: in the process of cleaning old instrument panels with a pencil eraser or Mr Clean magic eraser one thing I noticed was both tended to dull the paint as it cleaned. While it may cause other issues perhaps see if using either one would dull the shine with minimal paint damage?

FWIW: in the process of cleaning old instrument panels with a pencil eraser or Mr Clean magic eraser one thing I noticed was both tended to dull the paint as it cleaned. While it may cause other issues perhaps see if using either one would dull the shine with minimal paint damage?

That may actually work. I'll try it in an out of sight spot, thanks.

You want it to look a certain level of nice given that you paid to have it painted. You’ll never like the way it would look if you scratched it up with steel wool, scotch brite, etc

If it is just too shiny pull the overlay and have it scuffed and repainted a matte or flat.

You want it to look a certain level of nice given that you paid to have it painted. You’ll never like the way it would look if you scratched it up with steel wool, scotch brite, etc

Don't ever, ever, ever I mean EVER even think about ever even ever not even in your dreams ever Ever EVer EVEr EVER not even ever ever not once think about using steel wool. Ever!
Not ever!

Nice looking panel Stan.

Did you have this panel custom cut to fit the PFD?

Is it aluminum?

I powdercoated my new aluminum panel in the 172 a light grey. It's between "flat" and "Matte" and doesn't shine at all.

Seriously?

Considering they cover entire cars with vinyl, why not?

Ive never covered one in vinyl, but wouldn't be afraid to. I've always just powdercoated or painted them.

Nice looking panel Stan.

Did you have this panel custom cut to fit the PFD?

Is it aluminum?
Thanks, Kelvin. It's an STC'd aluminum panel by Avion Research. The 172 is a '63 172D which had a "shotgun" panel, and I did the panel upgrade project in 2000-2001. The AI and DG were replaced with Garmin G5s two years ago by the new owner.

Here's a "before and after" of the original 2001 upgraded panel.
N2686U_Old_New_Panel.JPG

Hey Stan,

I notice you have a STEC 20/30 in there using it with the G5s and the 650. I assume you have GPSS. Do you find that the STEC follows the flight plan or approach on the 650 a little laggy or loose? We have the same thing in the club plane except it's a 430 and it's kind of laggy in the way the STEC follows it.

Hey Stan,

I notice you have a STEC 20/30 in there using it with the G5s and the 650. I assume you have GPSS. Do you find that the STEC follows the flight plan or approach on the 650 a little laggy or loose? We have the same thing in the club plane except it's a 430 and it's kind of laggy in the way the STEC follows it.
Hi Brian,

Jamey, the new owner who bought the plane in 2018, had the G5s and 650 along with a new ADS-B Out Garmin transponder installed in New Jersey so I didn't get to fly it after he made those upgrades. He sent me that photo and said he was very pleased with the upgrades; he does have GPSS, so I assume he's happy with the tracking performance. I'm sorry I don't have more details.

You can spray it with a matte clearcoat from a rattle can. Several flat products are available.

If you do overspray with matte...try a small area first. You would NOT want to have the clear matte suddenly react with the existing color and bubble it...BTDT (on a car, not a plane...).

Good call. Another golden rule is that you can put a higher sheen over a lower sheen (gloss over a flat), but you can’t go the other way - it won’t adhere properly and will peel/ crack.

FWIW...doing a new panel for my 172. Used a matte finish. We'll see how it flies once I get it back in the plane...:)

Note: G5s were photoshopped in...it's going into a 172K.

Attachments

• newpanel.png
    newpanel.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 22
Back