Instrument Check Ride - What exactly happens?

Seems to me that the worst case would be the DPE says "well, corporate just called you, and they need you to fly a different route today. Here's what we're going to do." And you adjust and move on. Recalculate whatever you need to before the flight, and go. Besides, once you get up in the air, you're going to get diversions, disabled instruments, etc. I don't see how being maybe over prepared has a downside, except for the work put into it.

I printed out all of the screenshots from the different weather forecasts for my first checkride. This was January, so not unreasonable. The DPE said "that's a lot of stuff", and I replied that weather was one of my weaker things, so I always did a pretty thorough check of that. He thought it was a great idea, asked a couple of questions, and the weather part went quick. Oh, and he advised not telling the DPE what my weak points were, as "some of them might be jerks".

My instructor suggested we do a lot of our training at the airport where the DPE operates out of. It's not far away and has a more varied set of approaches than my home field anyway. We spotted him doing a checkride the day before mine and introduced ourselves. He said he was looking forward to flying in the Navion and told me to bring a prepared flight plan to Norfolk. He also intimated that all our approaches would be at the departure airport. My instructor and I flew all the approaches there one more time and I worked up my flight plan. I don't know if the instructor looked at it or not (he probably did) but it didn't need any correction.

If you could get ahold of anyone who flew with the DPE (assuming same airport) then I suspect the flow would be the same.

For mine it was depart KFDK to KMRB for the ILS, then to the MRB VOR for a hold followed by the VOR approach. Departed that landing and did the partial panel and UA stuff and then the RNAV5 back into KFDK. The oral portion was 3 hours but at least 45 minutes was dealing with paperwork and making sure that was all right. I was using the FBO's plane and the DPE is one of the FBO owners so I just had to prove I knew how to read the logbooks for essential equipment and such.

The main part is that I really want to get a mental picture of what the check ride looks like so I can double check that I'm not missing things. For example, I've done a Circle to Land once. What percent of my time should I spend on Circle to Land vs DME Arc at this point? Should the CFII remember things like that? Yeah - but things aren't perfect. At the end of the day I'm the one on the hook for it. So I'm making my own list of things that I need to drill / work on.

If you could get ahold of anyone who flew with the DPE (assuming same airport) then I suspect the flow would be the same.

Exactly what I'm doing. I now have a list of 4 DPE's and am interviewing pilots who used them. Don't want to twist this into another DPE thread, but I've found that the DPE's around here vary quite a bit. No one "hands out" a passing grade. But some are running their practicals with a bent not so much of accessing skills, but in doing what they can to make it hard because unless it is a high level of difficulty and pain they're not doing their job. One DPE stated that he knew if he was going to pass or fail someone in the first few minutes - not exactly fairly assessing each part of the ride. Another one purposely rattles candidates hard - not with task overload, but with snarky, disapproving comments, etc. Now, if I need proficiency to fly with my mother in law that would be appropriate.

Will I end up flying 1/2 day to a DPE to get a fair, drama free evaluation? Yes, if that's what it takes.

PIC scheduled my ride as soon as I booked the instructor. The instructor not from this immediate area said he was unfamiliar with the DPE (and wasn't able to scope him out) so that's why we decided to drop in for a visit. Fortunately, mine was thorough but immensely fair. I remember two things from it. The first was an approach to uninitialized attitudes that I had never experienced. Usually, my instructors over the year have me close my eyes and put my head down while they make a bunch of turns and swoops and things to disorient me. This one just had be close my eyes and then commanded me to try to make a few turns etc... I guess until I was and then had me recover. I found it way unnerving and I guess led me to understand what spatial disorientation really is.

Goes without saying, YMMV. I expected my checkride to be several hours of flying, similar to my long XC, under IFR, ETC. Boy was I wrong :p

Mine went extremely fast. I'm old and slow, so what seems like warp speed to me might be child's play to a younger fella :cool:

Briefly - we took off, climbed to 2k, foggles on, 2 bouts of unusual attitudes, recovered, direct to a neighboring field less than 10 miles away for an ILS approach with 2 turns in the unpublished hold while in bound. After a touch and go, we went missed with "alternate" missed approach instructions. While enroute to my missed approach way point, my G5 HSI failed along with my attitude indicator and I had to do compass turns to line up for VTF for a localizer approach when my iPad failed. After executing missed, we returned to our departure field (magically all my failed equipment came back to life) and we did an RNAV CTL and Bob's your uncle.

Questions? Comments? Snide remarks? Oh, and the oral prior was about 2 hours and there were times where I threw out "I have no frigging idea, but I can take an educated guess and give my reasoning" and or "let me peruse the FAR AIM and get you a definitive answer (depending on the nature of the question). And I quickly got the impression not to BS the BS'er. He seemed to appreciate my candor. :)

The main part is that I really want to get a mental picture of what the check ride looks like so I can double check that I'm not missing things. For example, I've done a Circle to Land once. What percent of my time should I spend on Circle to Land vs DME Arc at this point? Should the CFII remember things like that? Yeah - but things aren't perfect. At the end of the day I'm the one on the hook for it. So I'm making my own list of things that I need to drill / work on.
No time percentages, but make sure you’re reasonably comfortable with all operations. If you’ve only done something once, best to do it again.

One DPE stated that he knew if he was going to pass or fail someone in the first few minutes - not exactly fairly assessing each part of the ride.
He is fairly assessing each part of the ride, but an applicant’s overall competency can normally be assessed pretty quickly. The applicants that are going to bust are generally sloppy fliers (well, probably isn’t the right word), so eventually they exceed ACS tolerances far enough that it’s blatantly obvious, even to them.

yes, surprises happen, but the results are generally very predictable.

Last edited:
What percent of my time should I spend on Circle to Land vs DME Arc at this point?

Do you have any published DME arcs in your area? If not, I wouldn't bother... it's my understanding DPEs aren't allowed to make one up on the fly; it has to be published. I wish I could cite a source, but I'm lacking an official reference...

Do you have any published DME arcs in your area? If not, I wouldn't bother... it's my understanding DPEs aren't allowed to make one up on the fly; it has to be published. I wish I could cite a source, but I'm lacking an official reference...
Yes, that's an odd feature of the ACS: Task V which covers interception and tracking of courses:

While the applicant is expected to be able to fly DME Arcs, they may be selected for testing only if they are charted and available.
I had a DME in my plane and I never turned it on during the ride.

While the applicant is expected to be able to fly DME Arcs, they may be selected for testing only if they are charted and available.
And yet, I was asked to fly one. I suppose if he failed you on that you could protest, but honestly flying an unpublished DME ARC is no harder than flying a published one. If you need help with which way to turn, just draw it. I like to draw unpublished holds as well.

CTL is more mental...you can step through that on the ground just as well as in the air. It's basically flying a VFR pattern, although lower than usual, and entering from a different direction. The tricky part is getting from where you are at any given time to the MAP. It's a mental exercise as much as anything.

Arc's are hard to understand without flying them, although a simulator, even XP11, works very well for this too.

That's disappointing to hear about the DPE's @WDD . I've used the same DPE for both mine and he was very fair, apart from the arc thing lol. The other guy I'm aware of in our area also gets good reviews. I suspect the one saying he knew in the first few minutes meant that he could tell how prepared a student (oops...learner) is in the first few minutes, and from that can guess how likely they are to be able to complete the tasks.

@WDD I’m in the same boat. Sorta. Shopped for a DPE, found one. Now waiting on a date. Now trying to understand what the ride will be like.

@WDD I’m in the same boat. Sorta. Shopped for a DPE, found one. Now waiting on a date. Now trying to understand what the ride will be like.
I expected the ride to be several hours, akin to my long cross country with my instructor. Boy, was I wrong. Wham, Bam, Thank you Ma'am was more like it. Be prepared for back-to-back-to-back approaches, some equipment failures, unusual attitudes. Feel free to slow the pace down by asking for a few turns in a hold or some delay vectors to catch your breath. Hopefully you won't need it. No shame if you do.

Ah - didn't know there was that much latitude with the DPE. Good to know, as well as good to know I need to get the "profile" of the DPE the CFII would recommend.
I mean, there are two ways to look at this. Are you trying to pass an exam, or are you trying to demonstrate to someone that you're a competent IMC IFR pilot? Richard Feynman had a thing about understanding something vs memorizing something. I think too many people get bent out of shape trying to memorize answers to an exam vs just knowing the material. If you're scared you may fail the checkride you're not ready to be playing in the clouds. You have to be ready for that day when conditions go from "easy IFR" to low IFR on your route.. maybe you left late, headwinds were worse, the airport you're going to goes below minimums and you have to go to your alternate, and on the way there in the soup you lose your radios. I'd rather fail my IR ride then pass because I memorized out what "John Smith" always does for his rides. Loss of control and unintended IMC continue to be top causes of accidents for GA

Study, build that self confidence (fly with your CFI, safety pilot, etc.), and you'll do fine

The main part is that I really want to get a mental picture of what the check ride looks like
It's just a guy sitting next to you who's going to ask you to do a couple instrument related things. Don't overthink it too much. At the end of the day they're making sure they're giving a ticket to a safe pilot

I just had one last Friday… here’s exactly what happened:

took off VFR from KFOK and DPE played controller giving me runway heading to 600ft then climbing left turn to 3000ft. He asked me to put on foggles at 300ft. Then he told me to fly direct CCC and fly the published hold one lap. Then we did some unusual attitudes and recoveries. Then he gave me a heading to intercept the RNAV-A at KHWV circle 33. I circled at minimums. Then landed. Taxi back and takeoff with another DPE devised DP and then vectors for the KHWV RNAV 33 at which point he put suction cups on my primary instruments and I had to use partial panel. Then at minimums I got cut off by vfr traffic. He told me to fly the missed. Then he called approach and negotiated vectors for the KFOK ILS 24 which we took down to minimums and then landed.

For each approach I pulled up the plate and briefed it. I used my autopilot a few times while getting setup but hand flew 95% of the flight.

It was fun, got a temp certificate and I’m on my way…

any questions?

Congrats! No Arc? No timed turns?

An Arc is very rare unless one exists at your home AP. I wouldn’t count on it. Timed turns is also hit-or-miss from talking to DPEs.

I know one DPE that makes you fly four or five approaches (one coupled and/or “fast”) - I think that is very unfair.

Congratulations!!

now get out there and fly. I still remember my first solo ifr flight not long after my instrument checkride. I was thinking the whole time “this is so cool”

Congrats! No Arc? No timed turns?

Timed turns are not a required task listed in the ACS. They are simply a tool that can be used to make turns when performing Task VII D, Approach with Loss of Primary Flight Instrument Indicators (i.e. "partial panel"). Therefore, they are a common training item, but won't (usually) be explicitly tested on the practical test.

DME arcs can only be tested if they are published. They cannot be arcs made up by the DPE, although I've certainly heard of exactly that happening. For me, the closest published arc is on an approach to an airport about 45 nm away, so needless to say arcs don't often get tested on checkrides here.

I know one DPE that makes you fly four or five approaches (one coupled and/or “fast”) - I think that is very unfair.

That is well beyond the scope of the instrument checkride. I would not be using that examiner after the first time they did that, and would have informed the FSDO.

I wrote this document about my checkride, more than a few years ago. I hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instrument Checkride notes:

PREFLIGHT:

I walked outside to the airplane, and began pre-flight prep. Typical pre-flight process, just be thorough, and if you don't use a checklist, be sure to grab it and read it before you announce that you're ready to go inside the airplane.

I missed checking the pitot heat. So I reached in, turned on the master and pitot heat. I grabbed the pitot tube with my hand and verified that it became warm in 15-20 seconds.

I had on my lapboard a SAFETY pre-flight briefing paper. I went through it and he appreciated that I did. https://www.faasafety.gov/files/gsl...82/6.5 Passenger Safety Briefing JanFeb07.pdf

After start-up, be thorough, then turn on avionics. Check the dates on the face of the Garmin 430 for expiration dates. Point them out. On the next page, the Garmin shows the status of the CDI. Honestly, I've never read that page before. He asked me questions about it, and I faked my way through it. I got lucky. I didn't fool him though, and in the post-flight briefing, he asked me to get more familiar with that page and exactly what it means.

Next, I said over the intercom: “Falcon Clearance Delivery, this is Cessna 9945Q, looking for IFR Clearance.” He replied to me with an IFR clearance to CGZ via Mesa1. I read it back, and was sure to mock using my fingers to set the Transponder code.

ROLLING OUT:

Begin by getting the airport diagram on your lap. Immediately on rolling, check your brakes. Talk-aloud while you check your instruments on rolling. Head to the runup area, and note Falcon's new procedure, to announce on ground when you've completed your runup.

In the runup area, be thorough, check everything and set everything.

I used a pre-departure briefing, and he appreciated this. In no way in real life would I read this to a passenger. It borders on too much information to me. I'm afraid I'd freak them out:

This will be a normal takeoff. We will departing on runway 4R with an initial altitude of 4,500 feet. We will depart climbing at 75kias. If we have any problems before rotation or within the first third of the runway, we will abort. Standard emergency procedures will be used in the event of engine failure without adequate runway remaining. Best glide is 65 KIAS. We won’t even think about returning to this airport unless we are at 1,000 AGL. Any questions or comments?

The takeoff was normal, and at 500' agl I turned to 220 for the Mesa1 departure. It was upon beginning the turn that he asked me to wear the foggles.

ENROUTE:

His departure clearance to 4,500 was amended in-flight to 3,500 so we “won't have to bother with them”. (Class B airspace). Upon reaching 3,500 I said out loud: “pitch, power, trim, mixture”.

I tuned in ASOS and copied it prior to IFNUR.

As we closed in on TFD, he said, “Cessna 45Q, upon reaching 14DME TFD, arc to the West.” I acknowledged and wrote it on my kneeboard in my own shorthand. We did a very small DME-arc. At 15 DME, he asked when I was turning for the DME arc. As if impatient. I said I'd turn for the arc beginning at 14.5. That satisfied him. I guess I should have said this out loud after receiving the instruction and acknowledging it. Something such as: “I was just given an arc to fly. We'll begin turning-in one half mile prior.” I turned-in at rolled out at 13.9 DME. I flew the arc for a short time. Then I was directed to fly direct to TFD.

FIRST APPROACH:

He then said: “Cessna 45Q, Stanfield VOR is out of service. State intentions.”

There are three approaches, and two of the three need the Stanfield VOR. Only the GPS can be flown without, and I replied that I'd request the GPS approach to CGZ. He replied: “Cessna 45Q, expect the GPS approach to Casa Grande”. I loaded and began the approach, and began flying to the hold. Then he asks, “What are you approved to do?” (not his exact words). I replied back explaining that I've been told to expect the approach, but not cleared for it. “What if you're not cleared when we get there?” Then we'll hold, query ATC and expect further instruction. My replies were satisfactory.

Then he says: Cessna 45Q, winds are unavailable at Casa Grande. This begins a discussion where we descend to circling minimums, locate the wind sock, and choose the correct runway on which to land. So now the GPS approach is a circling approach.

Then he says the radios seem to not be working. So I went through the drill:

Me: Phoenix Approach, this is Cessna 45Q, how do you hear

Him: There's no answer

Me: I've checked my wiring to my headset and I try again.

Me: Can you please use your headset and try to get an answer from them?

Me: Let's try hailing on 121.5

Me: I'm changing my code to 7600.

Him: When will we approach the airport?

Me: After one turn in the hold.

I haven't said this yet, but he managed “the stack”. Also, on the way out, he asked me to tune to the practice area frequency. I told him I didn't know it, as my instructors have always managed this aspect of flight. He seemed puzzled over this, but accepted it, and had me dial in (122.85?) and set it up for him.

I followed the GPS approach as the GPS told me to. I had the Nav page with the purple trace on my screen, and it went well. We did a teardrop entry, and then did the hold. Upon reaching the beginning of the descent, he pulled out two post-its and covered the AI and the DG. Upon this happening, I said: “Phoenix approach 9945Q. We've lost our vacuum and are making the GPS approach no-gyro.” He reminds me the radios aren't working. I repeated, saying “9945Q, transmitting in the blind. No gryo to Casa Grande. On the GPS approach.” His reaction made me feel as if this mock communication was unnecessary with respect to the checkride, but it wasn't noted as a bad thing. We made the approach to circling minimums. He handled the radio calls. He had me come visual and we observed the windsock. We circled and landed on Rwy 5. I did a no-flaps landing, and floated somewhat down the runway. (for which I later got a scolding). Just a memo that instrument training makes one sometimes forget that you actually have to land it!

The circling GPS approach resulted in a touch-n-go. He said TFD and the radios and instruments are all now working. The post-its were removed. He said to climb to climb to 3,500 and go direct TFD. I climbed 500' and began a standard-rate turn back to TFD. He asked me to put the foggles back on. He said the radios are now working, and that I was to expect the VOR approach.

SECOND APPROACH:

The stack was empty. We climbed to 3,500 and did a VOR approach. He asked me what type of hold entry I was planning. I said parallel. The VOR approach was full-panel with nothing odd. Resulted in a miss. We missed and returned to TFD. He said to expect the ILS.

THIRD APPROACH:

The stack had two in it, and we entered at 4,500. It was quickly amended to 4,000 as the stack was quickly emptying. We did two turns in the hold to accommodate the stack, then did the ILS. One error I made during the ILS. Crossing the VOR at 3,500, the glideslope began to come in. I was going to just fly 3,500 to intercept the glideslope. He says, calmly, “Follow the procedure.” I look quickly, and see that the procedure is to descent to 3,200 THEN intercept the glideslope. I initiate a quick descent to 3,200, level off and then intercept the glideslope. The ILS was flown to the minimum. He then had me touch-n-go.

In the post-flight briefing he indicated I followed the glide slope beautifully but my left/right corrections were too much. I believe it was my zeal to keep the localizer from drifting too far that drove me to the borders of overcorrection.

HEADING HOME:

He didn't ask me to re-foggle. Just asked me to turn to 330, and climb to 3,500. It was as if the checkride was almost over. Then, a couple of moments later, as if it had been overlooked, he asked me to put on the foggles, and we did three unusual attitude recoveries. On the first one, he handed me the plane back straight and level! The fact that I didn't put a straight and level plane into an unusual attitude by mistake was later noted as very good.

We overflew Chandler, on the way to FFZ. He handled all the communication. I took the moment VFR to relax a little, but do keep in mind, the checkride isn't OVER. You are still being evaluated.

LANDING:

We did a normal landing on 22L, and had the rare pleasure of watching a B-17 taxi by us on Delta. It's moving slowly and blocking our normal path. Tower says: “45Q, you're approved to stop on the runway to wait for the B-17 that's on Delta.”.

I took them at their word, and answered back: “45Q will be full-stop on the runway as the B17 passes.” Verbally, I said I was executing the post-landing checklist, and did so, pulling out the list from the pocket, raising the flaps, and touch everything else as appropriate. The B-17 clears our path, and we begin the taxi back to Classic. He quizzes me on my checking of the instruments during the taxi back. I tell him I have been watching the turn coordinator during our taxi to make sure it's properly functioning. (well, maybe that's a lie.) Then I say the altimeter is still registering an acceptable altitude, the VSI is zero, the airspeed is zero. I'm scolded for not executing a post-landing checklist. I explained that I did so while stopped on the runway waiting for the B-17, and that I even said I was doing so, out loud. He accepted my correction without question. Probably the B-17 was a distraction.

Get ready to flame away or start the eyerolls but when the chief pilot learned who the DPE was going to be for my ride, he said "here's how the ride is going to go, first it's going to be the ILS at Orange County...then the..." I cut him off and said I didn't want to know. He seemed confused. I told him that once I was cut loose, the day would come where a plan might fall apart, and I'd need to be prepared to shoot any approach at any airport without a ton of notice. If I couldn't do that at this point, then I shouldn't have an instrument rating.

So, I showed up for the the rating without much of a clue as to what was coming, and it was fine. Sure enough, years later, I'm trying to get into N07, only to find the WX was well below the forecast, low enough to make my planned alternate a possible non-starter, and wouldn't you know it, my VERY loosely planned Plan C (MMU) had a NOTAM'd ILS (localizer or GS out of service, I can't recall which). Without WAAS, I couldn't fly the RNAV to LPV mins, so Plan C was toast. I'm glad I held myself to that standard prior to the check ride.

I fully realize opinions will vary, and yes, there is time to get more proficient after the ride, but in my case, I didn't wanna squeak by, passing only because I was overly-briefed on the approaches we'd be flying.

I do get that the PPL is a license to learn, however, IFR gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself. For that reason, I'd argue that it's better for the ride to be indicative of a tough, but realistic, IFR flight.

I do get that the PPL is a license to learn, however, IFR gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself. For that reason, I'd argue that it's better for the ride to be indicative of a tough, but realistic, IFR flight.

They are both lessons to learn. Both the PPL and IFR practicals ensure on that particular day you can fly the plane and make decisions to the ACS standards, it's really up to all of us to continue to learn and to help other pilots learn by our experiences. I was told that my IFR skills were likely as good as they'd ever be when I finished my check ride. Nope, here we are a couple years later and the practice and experience I've done since then have made me a much more capable IFR pilot.

After start-up, be thorough, then turn on avionics. Check the dates on the face of the Garmin 430 for expiration dates. Point them out. On the next page, the Garmin shows the status of the CDI. Honestly, I've never read that page before.

So many people I fly with don't even glance at that page. They just quickly press Enter twice once the database page comes up. I try to break them of that habit, because that test page has some very important things to verify before an IFR flight.

As we closed in on TFD, he said, “Cessna 45Q, upon reaching 14DME TFD, arc to the West.” I acknowledged and wrote it on my kneeboard in my own shorthand. We did a very small DME-arc.

This sounds like you mean an ad-hoc arc, which is no longer allowed. You did say the checkride was more than a few years ago, it may have been allowed then. But wouldn't be today (though it still happens).

One error I made during the ILS. Crossing the VOR at 3,500, the glideslope began to come in. I was going to just fly 3,500 to intercept the glideslope. He says, calmly, “Follow the procedure.” I look quickly, and see that the procedure is to descent to 3,200 THEN intercept the glideslope. I initiate a quick descent to 3,200, level off and then intercept the glideslope.

I wouldn't call this an error. I'd call it good decision making on your part, and is how I would fly the procedure in real life. Why perform multiple power/trim changes when one is all that's necessary? Stay at 3500 until GS intercept, assuming you're below the glideslope at that point, which you imply you were. The published altitude is a MINIMUM altitude in 99+% of cases, after all. I wouldn't think most DPEs would have any problem with this, but it has been about 3 years since I taught anyone for an IFR rating. However, I have run a dozen applicants through multiengine ratings in the last year, and I have them fly the single-engine approach in exactly this manner, and have never heard of an issue from the examiner (but then I primarily use just one DPE).

Anybody else have opinions on this, for a checkride?

So many people I fly with don't even glance at that page. They just quickly press Enter twice once the database page comes up. I try to break them of that habit, because that test page has some very important things to verify before an IFR flight.
It also helps to know how the CDI/HSI is connected. If it's an analog connection, then almost everything could look OK upon a quick glance even though there's a broken wire somewhere. If it's a digital connection then everything should look right or everything should look wrong.

Also, how many twist the OBS on that self-test screen? How many check for satellite status?

What value do you see in that? Either the signal status is good enough, or the GPS will alert you if it's not.
In case the previous renter disabled SBAS? Or in the case of non-WAAS, aren't you supposed to check for RAIM status? (I was a student pilot well after WAAS so I'm not completely up on those procedures)

This sounds like you mean an ad-hoc arc, which is no longer allowed. You did say the checkride was more than a few years ago, it may have been allowed then. But wouldn't be today (though it still happens).

I wouldn't call this an error. I'd call it good decision making on your part, and is how I would fly the procedure in real life. Why perform multiple power/trim changes when one is all that's necessary? Stay at 3500 until GS intercept, assuming you're below the glideslope at that point, which you imply you were. The published altitude is a MINIMUM altitude in 99+% of cases, after all. I wouldn't think most DPEs would have any problem with this, but it has been about 3 years since I taught anyone for an IFR rating. However, I have run a dozen applicants through multiengine ratings in the last year, and I have them fly the single-engine approach in exactly this manner, and have never heard of an issue from the examiner (but then I primarily use just one DPE).

Anybody else have opinions on this, for a checkride?

All good, except: There are approaches where intercepting the G/S early will lead you to bust an intermediate min. altitude. Some time back a number of air carrier pilots got busted for this. So while I generally agree with your procedure I teach students to announce the min. altitude for the each segment of the approach so the examiner will know that the student knows not to bust the segment min. altitude while sliding down the slope.

In case the previous renter disabled SBAS? Or in the case of non-WAAS, aren't you supposed to check for RAIM status? (I was a student pilot well after WAAS so I'm not completely up on those procedures)

I don't think that the satellite status page is going to tell you anything obvious about the SBAS selection, is it? I found some pictures online of that screen, and nothing stands out to me.

The RAIM check on a non-WAAS unit is on another page.

All good, except: There are approaches where intercepting the G/S early will lead you to bust an intermediate min. altitude. Some time back a number of air carrier pilots got busted for this. So while I generally agree with your procedure I teach students to announce the min. altitude for the each segment of the approach so the examiner will know that the student knows not to bust the segment min. altitude while sliding down the slope.

Yes, the problems were at LAX where they had numerous intermediate stepdown fixes that were positioned on a 3 degree glidepath. So, on hot days, altimetry errors would cause a violation while on the glideslope.

But that wasn't the case here, unless of course the CGZ ILS design has dramatically changed since @Rgbeard flew it, which I doubt (I do see that the HILPT altitude has increased from what he described). Nor is it the case in the vast majority of ILS approaches. I agree that verbalizing this is appropriate on a checkride, I just take (slight) issue with the DPE in this case implying something was wrong with the way he flew it (and also implying that if he didn't get down to the published intercept altitude, it would likely be a bust).

Yes, the problems were at LAX where they had numerous intermediate stepdown fixes that were positioned on a 3 degree glidepath. So, on hot days, altimetry errors would cause a violation while on the glideslope.

But that wasn't the case here, unless of course the CGZ ILS design has dramatically changed since @Rgbeard flew it, which I doubt (I do see that the HILPT altitude has increased from what he described). Nor is it the case in the vast majority of ILS approaches. I agree that verbalizing this is appropriate on a checkride, I just take (slight) issue with the DPE in this case implying something was wrong with the way he flew it (and also implying that if he didn't get down to the published intercept altitude, it would likely be a bust).

I agree with your assessment.

Back