Instrument check ride discontinuance

Thanks. If I could ask a follow up, who is it that generates AD's?
The FAA generates ADs through the (usually) normal rulemaking process. Essentially, something comes up: a failure, service reports from mechanics, the need for the manufacturer to get some additional profit, that brings it to the FAA Attention.
I am trying to figure out from the posts here. It seems these are per aircraft model (and I'm guessing may even be a range of manufactured years? Like a Cessna 172 SP made between 1962-1973 etc.?)
Most seem to be done by model and serial number in my experience. Note, it's not as simple as "A 1978 Cessna 172" to lookup. Each part on the plane can potentially have an AD on it. You have to look at anything issued that MIGHT apply. There was, for example, an AD on a certain set of serial numbers on a certain fuel pump that might have been installed on an engine that might be on my plane.

but as an example would it be generated by Cessna to address a problem, then vetted by FAA and at that point FAA generates an AD? Or do the manufacturers create them and the FAA just maintain the list of (suggested, or mandated?) AD's?
The source is varied. Used to be manufacturers were proud to NOT have ADs but between liability concerns and the fact that some ADs are profit makers, this has changed.

There is a database of ADs: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/
But as I described above, it's not just the matter than you can type your N-number in and get a list of all that might apply.

That's quite an over-exaggeration. The applicant should have maintenance logs available which demonstrate compliance with all active ADs. They are not required to even know the content of the AD, nor obtain the bulletin containing the AD itself, but rather have evidence that a mechanic signed off on the AD's compliance.

I see nothing wrong with what the DPE did.

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with a DPE wanting an applicant to exhibit knowledge of ADs. I've been away from instructing while I was at the airline and just getting back into it. Things have changed, obviously, and I think I'm studying more than the 3 students I have catching up and refreshing myself on everything. Fun times, gets me out of the house though lol.

This post is absolutely worthless without pics. Furthermore the FAR explicitly states that proof of AD's are NOT required when sectional leggings are worn during the instrument checkride. [I think it says that somewhere...still looking]

img_4992-png.58825

I'm still looking too.

At the picture in your post, not for the FAR.

The DPE is a petty bureaucrat. He certainly "can" ask for this, it's well withing his authority. But it's a small industry, I'd make sure word gets around and other potential applicants know he's more focused on minutia than pilot competency.

But as an owner, I'd never own a plane without an AdLog subscription. It's like $30 a year and makes tracking all this stuff really simple.

LOL yeah, but it wasn't a flight school plane, was her dad's. Perhaps the CFI should have known as he instructs for the flight school, but if so I'm sure it was just an oversight on his part.

Or maybe the flight school just wasn't aware.

The FAA generates ADs through the (usually) normal rulemaking process. Essentially, something comes up: a failure, service reports from mechanics, the need for the manufacturer to get some additional profit, that brings it to the FAA Attention.

Most seem to be done by model and serial number in my experience. Note, it's not as simple as "A 1978 Cessna 172" to lookup. Each part on the plane can potentially have an AD on it. You have to look at anything issued that MIGHT apply. There was, for example, an AD on a certain set of serial numbers on a certain fuel pump that might have been installed on an engine that might be on my plane.

The source is varied. Used to be manufacturers were proud to NOT have ADs but between liability concerns and the fact that some ADs are profit makers, this has changed.

There is a database of ADs: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/
But as I described above, it's not just the matter than you can type your N-number in and get a list of all that might apply.

Thanks very much for all those answers! That was the info I was looking for!

Back