Information about Amelia Earhart's location.

The TIGHR project has accumulated an amazing amount of data, but what I found with them has me fairly well convinced that their theory is wrong. I believe she had to ditch at sea somewhere near Howland Island, then floated for a few days until the airplane sank.

The most convincing pieces of data to me are radio based:
1) That she reported flying at 1000' under the clouds while searching for Howland.
2) That winds blowing from the east on a NW course would make it less likely for the course to have been south or east of the island.
3) That the weather reported at Howland was cloudy to the north and clear to the south
4) That she only had a 50W GE transmitter
5) That at a 1000' antenna height, the horizon is about 32 miles away.
6) That there was an increasing signal strength received by the USCG ship Itasca several hours before dawn culminating in a very strong signal in the hour before communications was lost
7) That Nikumaroro Island(Garner Island) is more than 400 miles away from Howland.
8) That the combination of distance, horizon, transmitter strength and signal strength make it very unlikely she was near Nikumaroro Island.
9) That the combination of transmitter strength and signal strength practically require that she was within 75 miles of Howland.

There are those who find solace in her landing on an island, surviving and fighting to survive. But the most likely result is that her plane is resting under thousands of feet of water to the NW of Howland Island where prevailing currents would have caused it to drift.

Like I've said before, I don't think we are going to get to her in time.

Well, aren't you quite the pessimist.

th

The TIGHR project has accumulated an amazing amount of data, but what I found with them has me fairly well convinced that their theory is wrong. I believe she had to ditch at sea somewhere near Howland Island, then floated for a few days until the airplane sank.

The most convincing pieces of data to me are radio based:
1) That she reported flying at 1000' under the clouds while searching for Howland.
2) That winds blowing from the east on a NW course would make it less likely for the course to have been south or east of the island.
3) That the weather reported at Howland was cloudy to the north and clear to the south
4) That she only had a 50W GE transmitter
5) That at a 1000' antenna height, the horizon is about 32 miles away.
6) That there was an increasing signal strength received by the USCG ship Itasca several hours before dawn culminating in a very strong signal in the hour before communications was lost
7) That Nikumaroro Island(Garner Island) is more than 400 miles away from Howland.
8) That the combination of distance, horizon, transmitter strength and signal strength make it very unlikely she was near Nikumaroro Island.
9) That the combination of transmitter strength and signal strength practically require that she was within 75 miles of Howland.

There are those who find solace in her landing on an island, surviving and fighting to survive. But the most likely result is that her plane is resting under thousands of feet of water to the NW of Howland Island where prevailing currents would have caused it to drift.
Your math in #5 seems off to me. Unless the receiving antenna was installed in a well.

I can’t remember when I actually learned about Amelia, HS or later but our HS was excellent on everything including history. My daughter got the new Amelia Earhart Doll they’re selling for her Barbie Doll collection recently -it’s gotta be around here somewhere...

Last edited:
I can’t remember when I actually learned about Amelia, HS or later but our HS was excellent on everything including history. My daughter got the new Amelia Earhart Doll they’re selling for her Barbie Doll collection recently -it’s gotta be around here somewhere...

Throw it in the tub and see how long it floats.
Then extrapolate.......

Divorce Barbie: Just a regular Barbie, but it comes with all of Ken's stuff.

reported...everything....just everything...

If we can't find an airliner full of people lost at see a couple years ago with all our modern technology, why do we think we can find a tiny Lockheed Lodestar lost at sea in the 1930's? Let it go....let it go....

If we can't find an airliner full of people lost at see a couple years ago with all our modern technology, why do we think we can find a tiny Lockheed Lodestar lost at sea in the 1930's? Let it go....let it go....

It would be even harder if it was an Electra.

Not sure that’s a good argument. We can find wooden ships lost 300 years ago.

Makes some sense if it's 1937 and you're a lesbian.

http://www.ncbuy.com/news/20030225/0-newly-discovered-amelia-earhart.html

In the letter, written before the two were married, Earhart outlines the terms she wants for their marriage.

She writes: "I want you to understand I shall not hold you to any midaevil [sic] code of faithfulness to me nor shall I consider myself bound to you similarly."

Earhart also talks about avoiding any hard feelings, "should you or I become interested deeply (or in passing) in anyone else."

:devil:

It would be even harder if it was an Electra.

Oops! My bad... I always equate the Electra with the later version that was a turboprop passenger airliner.

Last edited:

Could have sworn I said the same thing 5 pages ago. Pretty sure if my quote could get lost in this thread. Amilia could be lost at sea.

That airliner was found. Problem was everyone was looking in the wrong place, where it was supposed to be. Captain went way off course, somehow incapacitated his copilot, fight crew and passengers (probably climbed and decompressed the aircraft) and then ditched in the Indian Ocean. Pieces of the wreckage have been washing up ever since.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/mh370-malaysia-airlines/590653/

Back