Information about Amelia Earhart's location.

Hello, wsuffa, if Amelia and Fred had made it to an island, one of first things to do knowing planes would be searching for them, would gather rocks, and driftwood and make very large SOS letterings all over that island. Also, would be prudent to land that plane on the reef in a direction that would skid the aircraft upon the beach from the reef so that it would be visible from the air. this is just common sense 101.

Let's assume it was polished like no airplane has ever been polished before or since. A shine that would put the mirror on the Palomar telescope to shame.

Would that matter if the airplane had been at the bottom of the ocean for a week before anyone (other than one Coast Guard cutter) showed up to look for her?
Nobody knows how well that aircraft landed in the water. If landed well it could have floated for very long time, weeks or longer according to sources I've read and can find again for you. That plane was fitted with many extra fuel tanks in the wings and cabin. All well sealed and leakproof. When empty could have provided lots of flotation for very long time.

Ok folks, lets be nice to the new guy.

One of my professors in college did a lot of research about Amelia’s disappearance. There is enough circumstantial evidence that supports an alternate scenario.

We may never know exactly what happened to Amelia and Fred, but I, for one, happen to think it is possible that the history books are wrong.

Let's assume it was polished like no airplane has ever been polished before or since. A shine that would put the mirror on the Palomar telescope to shame.

Would that matter if the airplane had been at the bottom of the ocean for a week before anyone (other than one Coast Guard cutter) showed up to look for her?

Stop with the logic, would ya?!

QXQhs8v.jpg

Ok folks, lets be nice to the new guy.

One of my professors in college did a lot of research about Amelia’s disappearance. There is enough circumstantial evidence that supports an alternate scenario.

We may never know exactly what happened to Amelia and Fred, but I, for one, happen to think it is possible that the history books are wrong.

Well since the history books don’t all agree, it’s a safe bet that at least some of them are wrong.

Tigerfish, do you have any idea how hard it would be to successfully ditch a plane in an ocean? Add in other factors beyond just ditching as well. Sea conditions, time of day (or night), weather, instrument error, Mental state, pilots experience, fuel...the list goes on and on. The chances of her ditching the plane with no damage is microscopic.

In all likelihood, if she ditched in the ocean it was probably unsuccessful. The plane probably broke up and sank in short order. If they were injured in the crash, they probably went down with it.

If they were able to get out of the plane and get a raft set up before the plane sank then maybe they survived for what...a week? 3 at most? That's assuming they didn't get injured during the ditching.

As far as seeing a submerged airplane, if it was in water, even in one piece it'd be hard, if not impossible to spot depending on the seabed and depth. Even in shallow water (And I mean shallow. If it's 15ft down I'd be surprised if you could see it from the surface), when it hits the seabed its going to kick up sand and dirt that will settle on the horizontal surfaces, killing the reflectivity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Come on, folks. You’re forgetting what you know about pilots. This flight was a planned way for Amelia and Fred to ditch not their plane, but their spouses, and disappear to their own tropical island love nest.

Come on, folks. You’re forgetting what you know about pilots. This flight was a planned way for Amelia and Fred to ditch not their plane, but their spouses, and disappear to their own tropical island love nest.

Oh, I always thought that she enjoyed a nooner from time to time, not a Noonan.

She is beautiful!!
Tigerfish, do you have any idea how hard it would be to successfully ditch a plane in an ocean? Add in other factors beyond just ditching as well. Sea conditions, time of day (or night), weather, instrument error, Mental state, pilots experience, fuel...the list goes on and on. The chances of her ditching the plane with no damage is microscopic.

In all likelihood, if she ditched in the ocean it was probably unsuccessful. The plane probably broke up and sank in short order. If they were injured in the crash, they probably went down with it.

If they were able to get out of the plane and get a raft set up before the plane sank then maybe they survived for what...a week? 3 at most? That's assuming they didn't get injured during the ditching.

As far as seeing a submerged airplane, if it was in water, even in one piece it'd be hard, if not impossible to spot depending on the seabed and depth. Even in shallow water (And I mean shallow. If it's 15ft down I'd be surprised if you could see it from the surface), when it hits the seabed its going to kick up sand and dirt that will settle on the horizontal surfaces, killing the reflectivity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Hello AmazonChitlin, here is a terrific video of takeoff and landing of replica of Amelia plane.
Lockheed Electra (Model 10) - Flight Demonstration and Airshow / on youtube..

landing speed is 55 knots / 60 mph. Calm seas at time of Amelia landing. Her plane loaded with additional fuel tanks almost all empty. These tanks were very well sealed and would be very difficult for any substance to get inside these tanks. Technicians have said the plane could have floated almost indefinitely.

Hello AmazonChitlin, here is a terrific video of takeoff and landing of replica of Amelia plane.
Lockheed Electra (Model 10) - Flight Demonstration and Airshow / on youtube..

landing speed is 55 knots / 60 mph. Calm seas at time of Amelia landing. Her plane loaded with additional fuel tanks almost all empty. These tanks were very well sealed and would be very difficult for any substance to get inside these tanks. Technicians have said the plane could have floated almost indefinitely.
more stuff.. -----
However, we do know that the swell was uncharacteristically calm around Howland that morning, so the chances are that Earhart ditched successfully,
PACIFICWRECKS.COM Leave Amelia Alone
by Michael John Claringbould / Aerothentic Publications / NR16020 had a total fuel capacity of 1,151 gallons (4,357 liters) in ten tanks in the wings and fuselage. 80 gallons (302.8 liters) of lubricating oil for the engines was carried in four tanks.

more stuff.. -----
However, we do know that the swell was uncharacteristically calm around Howland that morning, so the chances are that Earhart ditched successfully,
PACIFICWRECKS.COM Leave Amelia Alone
by Michael John Claringbould / Aerothentic Publications / NR16020 had a total fuel capacity of 1,151 gallons (4,357 liters) in ten tanks in the wings and fuselage. 80 gallons (302.8 liters) of lubricating oil for the engines was carried in four tanks.
more stuff. -- A detailed engineering report was prepared by a young Lockheed engineer named Clarence L. (“Kelly”) Johnson to provide data for the best takeoff, climb and cruise performance with the very heavily loaded airplane. The maximum speed for the Model 10E Special at Sea Level and maximum takeoff weight was 177 miles per hour (284.9 kilometers per hour), a reduction of 25 miles per hour (40.2 kilometers per hour) over the standard airplane. The maximum range was calculated to be 4,500 miles (7,242.1 kilometers) using 1,200 gallons (4,542.5 liters) of fuel..

Amelia wasn't the best pilot. An airplane like the Electra has a paper thin nose fairing and big radial engines out on the wing. Odds are when she ditched, the nose collapsed inward at the same time those big engine cowlings caught the water and slammed the airplane to a halt. Amelia probably suffered a pretty bad impact, as did the airplane. She could have died right then.

But assuming she lived, the airplane's empty weight was in the 6500 pound range. Given the stated fuel capacity and empty tanks, the airplane had about 10000 pounds of buoyancy in the tanks, for a net positive buoyancy of ~3500 lbs. It is likely that some tanks would have been breached in the event of a water landing, and, besides that, all of the tanks were vented, and some would have begun taking on water, reducing buoyancy more and more as time went on. Once those tanks took on 350-400 gallons of water, the Electra sank. Maybe the airplane floated for a few hours. Maybe for a day. But I can't think of a single landplane that remained afloat for more than a few hours after a ditching at sea.

It could just be as simple as the people who said they burned the airplane and buried the bodies were telling the truth. Not a lot of engineering required for that.

The fault was more of the navigator's fault than Amelia's. True, she might have been little more than an average pilot with good financial backing, but it was her navigator that goofed up. Or so I heard...

The fault was more of the navigator's fault than Amelia's. True, she might have been little more than an average pilot with good financial backing, but it was her navigator that goofed up. Or so I heard...

...from the survivors?

My grandmother told me once that this was apparently a popular theory at the time of her disappearance.

Read a little about Amelia’s marriage and you’ll see why. :)

http://www.ncbuy.com/news/20030225/0-newly-discovered-amelia-earhart.html

In the letter, written before the two were married, Earhart outlines the terms she wants for their marriage.

She writes: "I want you to understand I shall not hold you to any midaevil [sic] code of faithfulness to me nor shall I consider myself bound to you similarly."

Earhart also talks about avoiding any hard feelings, "should you or I become interested deeply (or in passing) in anyone else."

:devil:

Doesn't really make sense though. If it were such an open arraignment there would be no need to fake your death to get out of it.

Not for hubby's sake, but she was very much in the public eye.

Years ago I was at Sun-n-Fun when Judy Rice announced she was departing on her around the world tour. She introduced me to her navigator Fred. I immediately asked Noonan?

Hello, wsuffa, if Amelia and Fred had made it to an island, one of first things to do knowing planes would be searching for them, would gather rocks, and driftwood and make very large SOS letterings all over that island. Also, would be prudent to land that plane on the reef in a direction that would skid the aircraft upon the beach from the reef so that it would be visible from the air. this is just common sense 101.
More stuff. just located this info regarding Amelia and Fred on Gardner island..-----In October of 1937, as the first step in a colonization plan designed to relieve overpopulation in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands colony, Lands Commissioner Henry E. “Harry” Maude, assisted by Cadet Officer Eric R. Bevington, and accompanied by 19 Gilbertese “delegates” made a visit to the Phoenix Islands. In his book, Of Islands and Men,Maude says, of Gardner Island (Nikumaroro), that “the island was thoroughly explored from end to end.” A more accurate account of this first documented visit to the island since the Earhart disappearance in July, 1937, is provided by a diary kept by Cadet Bevington. -----

Everybody wants their 15 seconds of fame. He got his and now maybe he'll just go away.
Hello, found more stuff, in 1892 19 or more islanders were brought to and settled upon Gardner island to begin growing coconut palms.. also built some structures of sort. This according to wikipedia.

More stuff. just located this info regarding Amelia and Fred on Gardner island..-----In October of 1937, as the first step in a colonization plan designed to relieve overpopulation in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands colony, Lands Commissioner Henry E. “Harry” Maude, assisted by Cadet Officer Eric R. Bevington, and accompanied by 19 Gilbertese “delegates” made a visit to the Phoenix Islands. In his book, Of Islands and Men,Maude says, of Gardner Island (Nikumaroro), that “the island was thoroughly explored from end to end.” A more accurate account of this first documented visit to the island since the Earhart disappearance in July, 1937, is provided by a diary kept by Cadet Bevington. -----

Hello, found more stuff, in 1892 19 or more islanders were brought to and settled upon Gardner island to begin growing coconut palms.. also built some structures of sort. This according to wikipedia.
How does that information help? :confused2:

Back