Incident at Oshkosh

benhar77

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
benhar77
Listening to FISK this morning, sounds like there was an incident at the airport. At 8:08, a medivac was inbound. Hope everyone will be okay! :(

441093b3a8cd9d2d6a6d93e3953d7618.jpg

The view from our campsite. Word is that a twin caught a wingtip, cartwheeled and burned.

Airport is closed. :(

Was the twin departing 36 perhaps?

Latest is it was a Meridian that crashed, not a twin. Probably the "Malibu" in the LiveATC MP3.

Better yet, people walked off the plane. No word on injuries, but there were apparently 5 on board.

Latest is it was a Meridian that crashed, not a twin. Probably the "Malibu" in the LiveATC MP3.

Better yet, people walked off the plane. No word on injuries, but there were apparently 5 on board.

Good up hear that folks were able to walk away.

Jack Roush back in town?

Last edited:
Appears plane ahead of Malibu took its time getting off runway, forced a change of the Bu's clearance from green to orange dot and whatever happened happened.

Assuming it was a Meridian, do many turbines do the Fisk arrival to 27? I've never been to airventure.

Last edited:
Appears plane ahead of Malibu took its time getting off runway,

Don't know the facts, but so many flight school trained monkeys tend to pull out on the runway, all "lined up and waiting" and then sit there for about 30 seconds setting their DG, re-reading the checklist or whatever before rolling. OSH is not the place for that stuff.

Hope everyone is OK (saw the pics that clearly the plane is not OK)

I'd be willing to bet that more people have died from not following a checklist than from taking their time going through a checklist but I agree with you, sitting on the runway is not the place to dilly dally.

Don't know the facts, but so many flight school trained monkeys tend to pull out on the runway, all "lined up and waiting" and then sit there for about 30 seconds setting their DG, re-reading the checklist or whatever before rolling. OSH is not the place for that stuff.

I'd be willing to bet that more people have died from not following a checklist than from taking their time going through a checklist but I agree with you, sitting on the runway is not the place to dilly dally.

Just wish so many would go thru their pre-takeoff checklist before pulling out on the dang runway. Takes about 3 seconds to set your DG and go.

Just wish so many would go thru their pre-takeoff checklist before pulling out on the dang runway. Takes about 3 seconds to set your DG and go.

:yeahthat: I've always done it that way from earliest training. But then, my instructor drilled that into me.

John

Sad deal.

Wonder if I can get a discount on my insurance with an Airventure exclusion.

Piper Malibu base to final, landed on top of an Rv 4. Two fatal, seven people involved. Two walked away
I was just texted with this

That's ugly. Sad to hear. Did they collide in the air or did the Malibu land on top of the RV?

Reason #1 I don't fly into these events. Hopefully everyone is ok.

If you can fly your own plane ok, there's nothing to worry about. People who fly in here are always worried about everyone else, but about 99% of the stuff that happens at Oshkosh is the pilot's own fault.

I've flown in three and out two times just this week. I've got at least one more trip in and two out to go. I've probably flown in and out of here two dozen times during the show. Yes, there will be chuckleheads who aren't on their game, but if you're on yours you'll be fine.

Flying into Oshkosh should be on every pilot's bucket list.

Why would you be setting a DG on the runway? Do it on the way out to the runway.

:yeahthat: I've always done it that way from earliest training. But then, my instructor drilled that into me.

John

Same here. My training was 20+ years ago, but it was always if you're on the runway, you're rolling to go (unless told to taxi to position and hold<-I'm that old :lol:)

Flying into Oshkosh should be on every pilot's bucket list.

It's on mine!

Even though I haven't been behind the throttle for about 12 years, I've read and re-read the NOTAM about 5 times, watched the approach videos, and have been listening to LiveATC all week. If you're prepared, it doesn't seem that hard.

I feel better prepared than some pilots I've heard! :rofl:

Same here. My training was 20+ years ago, but it was always if you're on the runway, you're rolling to go (unless told to taxi to position and hold<-I'm that old :lol:)

My PPL instructor took it a step further and said you don't even call the tower for clearance until you are 100% ready to go.

Why would you be setting a DG on the runway? Do it on the way out to the runway.

I do that. But others teach to set on the runway to verify heading with the actual runway numbers. Remember the Teterboro crash? Worst case, spend 3 seconds doing it on the runway, not 30 seconds going thru your whole checklist.

See and avoid applies at all times, but yes unless given position and hold one has no business just sitting at the end of an active runway. Most towered airports I've been to will call you out on that, even if the airport is essentially empty.

Last edited:
Reason #1 I don't fly into these events. Hopefully everyone is ok.

Meh, it happens a couple of times a year, but when you consider the density of operations, it's in line with accident rates anywhere/anytime.

Sounds like people are quick to blame the pilot that got crashed into. Yes, I agree that sitting on the runway is no place to mess around. You have to be ready when you taxi out. What about the landing plane? Doesn't he have a working set of eyes to see a plane sitting at the end of the runway?

but yes unless given position and hold one has no business just sitting at the end of an active runway. Most towered airports I've been to will call you out on that, even if the airport is essentially empty.

Rampant at uncontrolled airports - especially those with lots of flight training.

Sounds like people are quick to blame the pilot that got crashed into. Yes, I agree that sitting on the runway is no place to mess around. You have to be ready when you taxi out. What about the landing plane? Doesn't he have a working set of eyes to see a plane sitting at the end of the runway?

No blame, just a somewhat off topic comment. Sorry for the thread drift

Also, isn't this a controlled field? Who gave out landing clearance before the runway was clear (or did the aircraft land without clearance)?

I do that. But others teach to set on the runway to verify heading with the actual runway numbers. Remember the Teterboro crash? Worst case, spend 3 seconds doing it on the runway, not 30 seconds going thru your whole checklist.

All you're doing is verifying the runway you are going on is the runway you intended to depart from. Nothing wrong with a checklist while getting on the runway, if it's used as a checklist, not a do-list.

Sounds like people are quick to blame the pilot that got crashed into.

From every news report I've read, this accident involved a collision between the Malibu and earth, not the Malibu and another aircraft.

Also, isn't this a controlled field? Who gave out landing clearance before the runway was clear (or did the aircraft land without clearance)?

Ever flown into OSH during the airshow? They have a waiver for reduced separation in order to accommodate the number of aircraft flying into and out of there.

I do that. But others teach to set on the runway to verify heading with the actual runway numbers.

That's kind of odd, though, considering there are two numbers in a runway number and three in a heading. Aren't you better off setting it to your compass?

From every news report I've read, this accident involved a collision between the Malibu and earth, not the Malibu and another aircraft.

OK thanks. Early reports were that there was some sort of runway incursion.

Back