Inability to Google

Paulie

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
paulie
Why are there so many people that instead of googling or looking at a MM or IPC instead expect strangers to do research for them on this forum?

That’s really a silly question...I mean it is an online forum. People are here to ask questions. Everyone knows the same questions get answered over and over. It’s not a big deal. This forum would be pretty dead if people didn’t come here to ask questions.

If your bothered by someone’s question don’t answer it. Pretty simple. That mentality ruins a good forum environment like this.

OK next time I need a part number i'lI ask here and hope someone doesn't just pull a number out of their but.

These kind of forums are usually not a very satisfying place to spend time for people who take themselves too seriously. ;)
Especially since the departure of R&W, Ed, and a few others...

Why are there so many people that instead of googling or looking at a MM or IPC instead expect strangers to do research for them on this forum?

Why don’t you use some of your Google-fu to research and find your answer instead of asking on POA.

And when you find it, I’m gonna want to know in a couple weeks and will prolly ask on here, cuz I’ll forget, or be lazy, or just want to connect with folks.

I say that with 100% joy and humor, don’t take it the wrong way.

If no one ever asked the question, there would be no results in the google search. I can't count the number of times I've googled something and found someone else before me was brave/lazy/desperate enough to ask the question.

As to trusting internet answers, trust but verify. What SGOTI says shouldn't be taken for gospel, but could be used as a starting point. For example, most regulatory questions asked here are generally answered with sources. From there you can verify he answer.

I always considered online forums like POA to be a place to discuss differing points of view on a subject, to seek opinions on gear, to delve into the grey, to ask for interpretations on something written that might be difficult to understand, to set folks straight on Alabama not being in the southeast, to engage in friendly banter, etc.

I do not consider them to be the place to ask a basic question that can be easily answered using published material or even google.

I believe that might be what @Paulie is saying. And if so, I agree.

When you walk in to a cocktail party, do you stand around googling on your phone or do you walk up to someone, maybe ask a question, and get a conversation going?

PoA is an aviation cocktail party in a way...

When you walk in to a cocktail party, do you stand around googling on your phone or do you walk up to someone, maybe ask a question, and get a conversation going?

PoA is an aviation cocktail party in a way...
yup....lots a cocktails here. :eek:

Why didn't you Google that question instead of asking us?

I dunno, did you try Googling that question?

Alabama is not in the southeast? Then where the **** is it???

That’s really a silly question...I mean it is an online forum. People are here to ask questions. Everyone knows the same questions get answered over and over. It’s not a big deal. This forum would be pretty dead if people didn’t come here to ask questions.

If your bothered by someone’s question don’t answer it. Pretty simple. That mentality ruins a good forum environment like this.

Additionally, when you ask a question you might get a magazine article from 1977 out of my own personal collection that you might not be able to find online that provides further information...you know, like the one I just posted in the thread that the OP seems so ****ed off about. Christ...

Additionally, when you ask a question you might get a magazine article from 1977 out of my own personal collection that you might not be able to find online that provides further information...you know, like the one I just posted in the thread that the OP seems so ****ed off about. Christ...
Christ is returning.....;)

Eyyyy Paulie you from New Jersey?

One thing that would help people like the OP (and me) is if people will put some thought into their post TITLE.
If the title is not half-way descriptive of the problem/question then people who are not interested in that won't find out til they are trapped reading at least the 1st post. Or, after a while they skip over such posts and those only get answered by folks with lots of free time or strong levels of curiosity.
A title like "I can't believe this" or "3rd time this month" does not tell you much about what the thread is about.

I find value in the questions and answers.

It helps me to recognize what people don’t understand and find new ways to explain it to my clients.

For me the FAR/AIM is a sleep aid and I often don’t know where to look.

I may not know how to ask the question on Google that will give me the answer I am looking for.

I often learn things trying to find an answer to questions posed on POA.

The FAA has a room full of attorneys who may interpret the words in the FARs differently than I do.

Perhaps when I know it all I will be less interested in questions and answers.

Back