In this thread we stray from the topic as far as possible.

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
I have been on the internet since before Al Gore created it and on forums like this when they were still called bulletin boards and were all in text.

I was reading a recent topic and the OP got upset that a few posts went off topic really only slightly and I felt they had a link to the original topic. Which saddened me a little since I wanted to hear more on the side topic and see more pictures.

Personally I love it when people get off topic I often learn more that way or at least find a new area I should research.

So to start things off I often wonder what that phone call would be like to the guy I rent the plane from if I dinged it up?

Anyone ever ding one up and have to make that call?

Did you ever wonder why people use a speakerphone for all of their phonecalls? I mean, are they unable to pick up the handset?

I have been on the internet since before Al Gore created it and on forums like this when they were still called bulletin boards and were all in text.

Yeah, I used to be on usenet back in the day, but not old enough to have been on arpanet. I'm still on some old fashioned mailing lists where the owners are curmudgeons and don't want to migrate to BBs.

As for the OQ, I'd be calling myself, and I wouldn't want to hear what I'd have to say.

Why in is there brail on the restroom signs to notify if it's male or female? How do blind people even find the signs or the restrooms if they can't see?

I have not had to call an airplane landlord, but boy, was it tough texting the mother of that girl in high school who got hysterical on our way to the clinic. I could not take it and just shoved her out the door on the corner of 5th and Main. Wonder if she decided to have the kid. Do you think I should track her down?

Why in is there brail on the restroom signs to notify if it's male or female? How do blind people even find the signs or the restrooms if they can't see?

Or on the drive up ATM? I have an aunt and uncle who are both blind I will have to ask them.

Or on the drive up ATM? I have an aunt and uncle who are both blind I will have to ask them.

Yeah, I always liked that one. Speaking of drive-up ATM's... I haven't been to one in years.

A little more East and I'm going flying. Thread drift to flying for a change.:D

Yeah, I used to be on usenet back in the day, but not old enough to have been on arpanet. I'm still on some old fashioned mailing lists where the owners are curmudgeons and don't want to migrate to BBs.

As for the OQ, I'd be calling myself, and I wouldn't want to hear what I'd have to say.

When I was in high school in the early 80s we had two computer classes one was Basic which we did on apple IIs and the other was APL using DECwriters that were connected to a major university. We wrote some crazy tic-tac-toe programs. You haven't lived until you played tic-tac-toe on green bar paper. :yes:

When I was in high school in the early 80s we had two computer classes one was Basic which we did on apple IIs and the other was APL using DECwriters that were connected to a major university. We wrote some crazy tic-tac-toe programs. You haven't lived until you played tic-tac-toe on green bar paper. :yes:

We had an apple ][e, and I remember programming basic on a number of TRS-80s. I even goofed around on a Timex Sinclair, just because it was so cheap. And yeah, pong on a green screen, that's living!

A little more East and I'm going flying. Thread drift to flying for a change.:D

I'm still running down the little hill, but am flying well now. I should graduate to the 125ft hill next time. Then I'll REALLY be skyin' :lol:

I'm still running down the little hill, but am flying well now. I should graduate to the 125ft hill next time. Then I'll REALLY be skyin' :lol:
Sweet. Pretty soon instead of running you will have people holding you down by the wires.:yes:

The Yum Yum shop in Wolfboro NH makes the best blueberry pie.

Speaking of Pong- my first "on the TV" video game had tennis (pong), hockey (pong with obstacles) and a form of breakout (pong with obstacles and a wall).

My dad was always an early technology adopter funny because he wasn't technical. He started out as an X-ray technician went into pharmaceutical sales and then quit it all to become a preacher. But always had to have the new tech.

I remember when he came home with a calculator it added, subtracted, multiplied and divided (no square root). It was $99 from Sears. He also had the cell phone that cost over a dollar a minute to use when you could get signal and it was in a big carying case the size of a lunch box. There was the laser disk to beta to VHS thing. On the computer side we never had a trash 80 but we had an early Tandy and I remember him turning it on and the C:\> coming up and him asking me now what.:rofl:

Last edited:
Did you ever wonder why people use a speakerphone for all of their phonecalls? I mean, are they unable to pick up the handset?
I wear hearing aids and a telephone handset sounds like sticking my head in a washing machine. With a speaker phone, I can hear most of the conversation. But please don't give me advice about telecoils or other devices. After 35 years of wearing the most expensive hearing aids availabale, I know what works for me, and what doesn't.

Speaking of old tech/new tech. The new tech of youtube makes complainabragging to your kids about old tech so much better. I was telling my 10 year old about the Coleco handheld video games, and found a youtube video demoing them. Barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways sounds pretty good after seeing those things...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgH9Pn2tq5s

My dog lost his collar yesterday. It's black. Let me know if you find it. Thanks.

Why is there braille on a drive-up ATM?
edit: I see that has already been addressed.

I wear hearing aids and a telephone handset sounds like sticking my head in a washing machine. With a speaker phone, I can hear most of the conversation. But please don't give me advice about telecoils or other devices. After 35 years of wearing the most expensive hearing aids availabale, I know what works for me, and what doesn't.

I'll violate the rules of this thread to say, yes, I can understand why a few people do it.

And, yes, I know enough about hearing aids and hearing loss to know that there is a wide spectrum of hearing loss and not every type is correctable.

But, I was talking about people with two functioning hands/arms and good hearing in each ear. I guess they just feel like sharing their phone conversations with their 50 closest co-workers.

Pay a guy to write a program for me, give him specific instructions, and he does it wrong. I am having to clean up his code. I get what I pay for though. He is charging me pennies.

My dog lost his collar yesterday. It's black. Let me know if you find it. Thanks.

Is it black have a ring on it with tags and such?

Nope haven't seen it.

Going to go rent the plane and do some looking though.

Pay a guy to write a program for me, give him specific instructions, and he does it wrong. I am having to clean up his code. I get what I pay for though. He is charging me pennies.

What did he write it in?

What did he write it in?

ASP.NET (VB.NET backend)

You enter your departure airport and your destination airport and it prints a kneeboard for the trip showing freqs. pattern altitudes, direct heading, NM, etc Just click and go.

Neatly on left 50% of a landscape layout so it can be folded on a kneeboard.

He mucked it up and I am unmucking it.

I can't remember the year, but my brother got that one for Christmas and I got the Mattel Electronics Football.

mattelfootball1.jpg

We played with those things for years.

Trivia: Supertramp's The Logical Song had some beeps from this game embedded in the song.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Movies/LogicalSong.htm

ASP.NET (VB.NET backend)

You enter your departure airport and your destination airport and it prints a kneeboard for the trip showing freqs. pattern altitudes, direct heading, NM, etc Just click and go.

Neatly on left 50% of a landscape layout so it can be folded on a kneeboard.

He mucked it up and I am unmucking it.

Sounds great well the unmucked version anyway. Can I suggest a feature. Post a rating of the bathroom facilities at every airport along the path of travel, how clean they are and if they have hand towels or those blasted air driers.

If you need help with the bathroom rating system let me know my wife has never been past a bathroom she didn't want to see the inside of. Makes for fun road trips.

Sounds great well the unmucked version anyway. Can I suggest a feature. Post a rating of the bathroom facilities at every airport along the path of travel, how clean they are and if they have hand towels or those blasted air driers.

If you need help with the bathroom rating system let me know my wife has never been past a bathroom she didn't want to see the inside of. Makes for fun road trips.

I hate those new dyson hand dryers where you have to slip your hands in and pull them out slowly.

" In this thread we stray from the topic as far as possible.'

Hmmmmm...

Is there life on Mars...:confused::confused::confused:

" In this thread we stray from the topic as far as possible.'

Hmmmmm...

Is there life on Mars...:confused::confused::confused:

More importantly does your POH spell out what is necessary for operation on MARS? :dunno:

I hate those new dyson hand dryers where you have to slip your hands in and pull them out slowly.

When I was a kid, 2nd grade maybe, I went to a birthday party and the birthday kid gave ME a present. I opened it up and it was a partially assembled plastic model of a car.

And I need to pick up cat litter on the way home.

When I was a kid, 2nd grade maybe, I went to a birthday party and the birthday kid gave ME a present. I opened it up and it was a partially assembled plastic model of a car.

And I need to pick up cat litter on the way home.

You can't write a book about that kind of love.

So to start things off I often wonder what that phone call would be like to the guy I rent the plane from if I dinged it up?

Anyone ever ding one up and have to make that call?

Do the new phone interchanges still maintain the huge banks of batteries to power the phone system when the power goes out?

God is omnipotent and whoever says otherwise is a moron.

Do the new phone interchanges still maintain the huge banks of batteries to power the phone system when the power goes out?

"interchanges" what are you 100 years old. :goofy:

I got to type back and forth once as a kid to some colleague of my dad's on ARPA net with an ancient teletype rig. It wasn't until I had a roommate running a dial in BBS that I had my next computer comms experience, and that would have been 20 years later in the mid 90s. Then came Usenet.

Back