In memory of Norman. Flown west... (Norm)

He was 78 according to a conversation a few weeks ago.

I feel it's right to share it here:
I enjoyed my days as a ramp rat then got my A&P and IA but I'm now feeling my age.

Do not worry for me. I will post as long as I am mentally capable.

When I can no longer do that I will hit the bed with the intention of permanent sleep.

Waiting for God's permission to close my time card.

I enjoyed his posts and input across the board. He will truly be missed. RIP, blue skies, and tailwinds!

3Ye38RA.gif

Wow. RIP.

BTW, is it really confirmed? Where's the source?

@timwinters was a long time friend of Norman.

From Tim:

"BTW...Norm was very hard of hearing and refused to wear hearing aids so one of his main pleasures were these online pilots' forums (he was also a train geek).
He was found dead at his computer."

From Tim:

"BTW...Norm was very hard of hearing and refused to wear hearing aids so one of his main pleasures were these online pilots' forums (he was also a train geek).
Thanks, 6PC. I was wondering the same thing. I take it he heard from Norman's family.

Sad news indeed... Tailwinds, Norman. :(

Ugh.

Blue skies, Norman. :(

RIP, I never had the privilege of meeting him in person, but I wish I had.

Blue skies and tailwinds Norm.

From Tim:

HIs last posts were just last Friday.

There's a very nice and detailed write-up on Cessna Pilot Society forums for Norm. I didn't feel comfortable reposting, but those that are a member there here is the link:
http://www.cessna-pilots.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=352773&page=1

Yeah, a buddy who's on "the MC" over there texted the news to me last evening so I went over there and read Jeff's tribute. It was quite the piece, as many of Jeff's are.

Hopefully Norman can see all the great things being said about him both here and there.

Last edited:
Wow, bummer...he and I were local and we were planning to meet up soon...and Norman was actually his middle name, btw.

Spooky, given what he posted. Still, it really does warm my tiny, bloodless, black little heart that we brought some joy to someone who's ability to get it otherwise was somewhat compromised.

How did I miss that he knew his days were coming to an end? I had no idea. I enjoyed his sense of humor and reasonableness. And his avatar.

To be clear, like so many on the forums, I never actually met Norm. We just bantered back and forth quite a bit on CPA, CPS and then here. Both CPA and CPS were/are far smaller more intimate communities than this one and we got to know each other pretty well before he even came over here. We also quite often cracked each other up behind the scenes by PM...we had a very similar take on various personalities and his humor could be especially wicked one-on-one.

He and I go back to at least 2003 on CPA.

I tried to call Norm a few times. Those were painful experiences, he was so hard of hearing the last 5 years or so that conversations were nearly impossible.

So we'd just keep bantering by PM.

One more time...

...R.I.P. my friend.

We've gone ahead and marked Ben and Norm as "Gone West". You'll see a ribbon on any of their posts that says it, or in their profile as well if you go there.

How did I miss that he knew his days were coming to an end? I had no idea. I enjoyed his sense of humor and reasonableness. And his avatar.

Norm posted often about him expecting that he was coming to the end of his days. He'd PM'd me about it after Ben had died with his theories of what might've happened as well as saying he didn't figure he had long left. I know what happened to Ben but was asked to keep it private, so I have.

None of us are getting out of here alive - that's the only certainty we have.

RIP, Norm.

Well I didn't know the guy personally but I liked him on the internet. So long sir.

Man, I am thick as a post. I didn't interpret that right.
upload_2018-3-14_9-16-57.png

That is sad news, enjoyed virtually conversing with him, I hope I made him laugh on occasion.

Any chance of copying the write up over here for those of us that are not CPS members?
I'll let @timwinters make that call.

I called Jeff Chipetine who wrote the CPS tribute (and who was probably Norman's best friend) and he graciously granted permission to reprint it here. As an aside, Jeff and Norm were pretty much both founding members over at CPS. Norm's member number is #8, Jeff's #71. Jeff, as you will see below, is quite the story teller:

EDIT: I also extended condolences to Jeff from all of us here because, as mentioned above, Norm likely considered Jeff to be his best friend.

I have a sad duty today.

Norm Echtinaw passed away a couple days back. He was found ‘at his computer ‘ by his former employer’s daughter Kerri. Kerri had called him and got worried when he didn’t return her call after a day or so.

I do not know the cause of death The last couple years Norm had at times intimated that he didn’t think he’d be around too much longer. Maybe he felt his time was coming along…

For those newcomers to CPS, Norm was a retired A/P and I.A., and long-term contributor to our discussions. Especially once he retired, he often would add his perspective and insights gained over many years of work in aviation. Norm was a founding Member here, and a solid supporter of our CPS since inception. Norm volunteered for our cause behind the scenes for years clearing new prospects for Membership on behalf of the Forum Board.

Norm’s last work gig was with Avante-Garde aviation. He worked alongside and for long-time friend John Johns (real name). John and Norm maintained their friendship beyond Norm's retirement, with lunch once a week, Sunday breakfasts, and every holiday Norm had a seat at their family table.

Norm also often had a seat at our CPS tables and gatherings. He was able to attend a good many of our annual get-togethers, and even showed up at Ocracoke once or twice. I remember him walking into the weeds at the airport at Ocracoke to enjoy a 'gentleman’s moment' and he came out bleeding from about 113 mosquito bites. You would think a guy trailing a contrail of cigarette smoke as dense as a DDT fog machine would have been left alone by the bugs. Funny stuff you remember.

Norm had been married a couple times, the last time successfully. In that respect, he was very much like any airplane owner.
wink.gif
He lost his wife maybe 15 years back. He has a single sister as a surviving relative.

After his wife died, Norm retired and then sold off his Honda Gold Wing motorcycle a few years later saying it didn’t appeal to him as much to ride solo. Might have also been a realization of eyesight and reflexes going downhill. At least he knew enough to get out on his terms.

Norm didn’t have much ‘stuff’ and was living mostly on Social Security in his apartment in Pontiac MI. He was very hard of hearing which made him a decent reader of lips, but he was for years lost in the conversation whenever we were in a noisy environment. He absolutely refused countless offers of hearing aids after trying a box-store pair for a month. Set in his ways, somewhat stubborn. He carried a Glock which often gave lots of us cause for pause.

My best times with Norm were ‘enroute’. Norm did enjoy flying and as several other CPS Members will attest, when equipped with ANR headsets, the grumpiness disappeared when his world of hearing was restored for those few hours.

Other than his daily interchange with us here at CPS (which he never missed), those flights/gatherings were his last real connection with the aviation life he once knew, and I like to think he enjoyed our company. He always seemed happiest when surrounded by his CPS family.

He had a decent eye for photography, and many of the pictures we’ve enjoyed in retrospect were courtesy of his lens. He used to make up a CD of pictures at the end of every trip. No more CDs I guess.

Other than CPS, he enjoyed the rail-road forums and spent some of his time ‘train-spotting’ which is apparently an activity that involves taking your car to railroad overpasses and photographing famous locomotives as they pass by. I always thought airplane people were a bit ‘special’ but train-spotting put things in perspective the first time someone mentioned it to me. He was crotchety at times, but he liked all of us so who is to say he had bad taste?
smile.gif

Norm smoked Winston’s like a chimney, and had a diet that would have killed off the Marlboro man in his 30s. He hung in tough longer than I had thought he might. Now he’s gone, and I’ll miss him. He was our friend.

I do know that Norm was very appreciative of the good-will and generosity of time he was shown by the folks that make up this gathering. He was always offered multiple seats for the fly-outs, and he got around to flying with many of us through the years. He usually was ‘a guest’ in a spare bed at our get togethers, and there was never a shortage of folks very quietly ensuring that the costs for him being in attendance were borne evenly, (and with a smile). Norm sometimes traveled commercially when no one was passing overhead, and thousands of Frequent Flyer miles were purged from CPS Member accounts to ensure he would be able to put in an appearance.

I know Norm would offer his thanks for those special moments with his CPS buds that made his life richer. Those folks that played a part in bringing a smile to his face did so in the best traditions of friendship, without recognition till this moment. A salute to you all for your decency.

I spoke with Norm a couple weeks back. Because of his hearing loss, conversations were always a bit jumpy, but he sounded decent at the time. He always had that smoker’s gravel in the background so if he was sick, I couldn’t tell.

John’s daughter Kerri had been overseeing his affairs for the last few years and will be calling me with more information as is practical. I’ll forward them here as received.

Many of us benefitted from Norm's counsel during his time spent in our company. He shared as best he could. I hope he rests easy.

----Jeff C.

Last edited:
A great tribute. Thanks for sharing it.

I called Jeff Chipetine who wrote the CPS tribute (and who was probably Norman's best friend) and he graciously granted permission to reprint it here. As an aside, Jeff and Norm were pretty much both founding members over at CPS. Norm's member number is #8, Jeff's #162. Jeff, as you will see below, is quite the story teller:

EDIT: I also extended condolences to Jeff from all of us here because, as mentioned above, Norm likely considered Jeff to be his best friend.

I have a sad duty today.

Norm Echtinaw passed away a couple days back. He was found ‘at his computer ‘ by his former employer’s daughter Kerri. Kerri had called him and got worried when he didn’t return her call after a day or so.

I do not know the cause of death The last couple years Norm had at times intimated that he didn’t think he’d be around too much longer. Maybe he felt his time was coming along…

For those newcomers to CPS, Norm was a retired A/P and I.A., and long-term contributor to our discussions. Especially once he retired, he often would add his perspective and insights gained over many years of work in aviation. Norm was a founding Member here, and a solid supporter of our CPS since inception. Norm volunteered for our cause behind the scenes for years clearing new prospects for Membership on behalf of the Forum Board.

Norm’s last work gig was with Avante-Garde aviation. He worked alongside and for long-time friend John Johns (real name). John and Norm maintained their friendship beyond Norm's retirement, with lunch once a week, Sunday breakfasts, and every holiday Norm had a seat at their family table.

Norm also often had a seat at our CPS tables and gatherings. He was able to attend a good many of our annual get-togethers, and even showed up at Ocracoke once or twice. I remember him walking into the weeds at the airport at Ocracoke to enjoy a 'gentleman’s moment' and he came out bleeding from about 113 mosquito bites. You would think a guy trailing a contrail of cigarette smoke as dense as a DDT fog machine would have been left alone by the bugs. Funny stuff you remember.

Norm had been married a couple times, the last time successfully. In that respect, he was very much like any airplane owner.
wink.gif
He lost his wife maybe 15 years back. He has a single sister as a surviving relative.

After his wife died, Norm retired and then sold off his Honda Gold Wing motorcycle a few years later saying it didn’t appeal to him as much to ride solo. Might have also been a realization of eyesight and reflexes going downhill. At least he knew enough to get out on his terms.

Norm didn’t have much ‘stuff’ and was living mostly on Social Security in his apartment in Pontiac MI. He was very hard of hearing which made him a decent reader of lips, but he was for years lost in the conversation whenever we were in a noisy environment. He absolutely refused countless offers of hearing aids after trying a box-store pair for a month. Set in his ways, somewhat stubborn. He carried a Glock which often gave lots of us cause for pause.

My best times with Norm were ‘enroute’. Norm did enjoy flying and as several other CPS Members will attest, when equipped with ANR headsets, the grumpiness disappeared when his world of hearing was restored for those few hours.

Other than his daily interchange with us here at CPS (which he never missed), those flights/gatherings were his last real connection with the aviation life he once knew, and I like to think he enjoyed our company. He always seemed happiest when surrounded by his CPS family.

He had a decent eye for photography, and many of the pictures we’ve enjoyed in retrospect were courtesy of his lens. He used to make up a CD of pictures at the end of every trip. No more CDs I guess.

Other than CPS, he enjoyed the rail-road forums and spent some of his time ‘train-spotting’ which is apparently an activity that involves taking your car to railroad overpasses and photographing famous locomotives as they pass by. I always thought airplane people were a bit ‘special’ but train-spotting put things in perspective the first time someone mentioned it to me. He was crotchety at times, but he liked all of us so who is to say he had bad taste?
smile.gif

Norm smoked Winston’s like a chimney, and had a diet that would have killed off the Marlboro man in his 30s. He hung in tough longer than I had thought he might. Now he’s gone, and I’ll miss him. He was our friend.

I do know that Norm was very appreciative of the good-will and generosity of time he was shown by the folks that make up this gathering. He was always offered multiple seats for the fly-outs, and he got around to flying with many of us through the years. He usually was ‘a guest’ in a spare bed at our get togethers, and there was never a shortage of folks very quietly ensuring that the costs for him being in attendance were borne evenly, (and with a smile). Norm sometimes traveled commercially when no one was passing overhead, and thousands of Frequent Flyer miles were purged from CPS Member accounts to ensure he would be able to put in an appearance.

I know Norm would offer his thanks for those special moments with his CPS buds that made his life richer. Those folks that played a part in bringing a smile to his face did so in the best traditions of friendship, without recognition till this moment. A salute to you all for your decency.

I spoke with Norm a couple weeks back. Because of his hearing loss, conversations were always a bit jumpy, but he sounded decent at the time. He always had that smoker’s gravel in the background so if he was sick, I couldn’t tell.

John’s daughter Kerri had been overseeing his affairs for the last few years and will be calling me with more information as is practical. I’ll forward them here as received.

Many of us benefitted from Norm's counsel during his time spent in our company. He shared as best he could. I hope he rests easy.

----Jeff C.

Very nice tribute, heartfelt. I'm going to miss Norm, had a few PMs from him now and then. I think we'd get along well if we had ever met.

RIP Norman.
Will miss your jokes in the Friday 'Joke Day' section. The "Harley in the Ditch" one really cracked me up.

I was thinking about Norm some last night, and something occurred to me.

My grandmother had dementia in her final 5 years or so, which got progressively worse. I always recall her having a bad memory, but by the end her brain was effectively a pile of mush. Her hearing probably didn't help. But she was in a nursing home after a fall that broke her back and didn't have much to do besides whatever activities were dreamed up for the other old and dementia-ridden people in there. She really went downhill once she ended up there, even though it was where she needed to be. She never learned to use a computer.

I've often wondered since then (been 11 years since she died) how those of us who know how to use computers and have the internet might fare when we get older since we have internet forums to keep our brains going. Perhaps Norm was a positive indication. Obviously still had his wits about him and it seemed his body was what gave out, not his brain. But good on him for enjoying his life as best he could.

His posts about his looming death seemed depressing to most of us, but it seemed that he was just being realistic and accepted it. We're all going to die one day, many of us just like to think otherwise.

Back