In for paint

Is that kind of corrosion hard to find in an inspection?
The NAVY had their T-34s on phase inspection schedule every 13 weeks. they didn't discover it until they had several failures.

Mag skins, not my favorite :)

How concerned would you be buying a Beech that had been repainted?
Really would depend upon who did the job, and how they did it. what they used. and how old it was.
Beechcraft wasn't the only aircraft that the wrong method of treatment was used.
I now care for a C-182 that was painted by SunQuest of PAE that is 4 years old and is showing corrosion at many of its seams, When they stripped it they use a pressure washer to remove the stripper and old paint, this drove the acid from the stripper into the seams and they never got it out. The owner paid 15k to have some one ruin his 182.
Beechcraft is not the only one that gets treated wrong, but they are more critical due to Mag skins being very active metal. remember that Aldine is a 6% solution of Chromic acid. and Magnesium will suck that up like a sponge.

What do you use on MAG alloy ? certainly not alodine?
Placing a drop of Aldine on MAG will immediately turn black. wen washed off will leave a etched spot. Magna dine (sp) thanks auto correct.will not, it simply leaves a stain like alodine does on aluminum.

OBTW... no one makes MAGNADINE any more. AS&S doesn't carry it nor does any Aviation supply store. Thanks EPA.

Think about it, you simply can't do a proper paint job on a beechcraft with out it.
http://saporitofinishing.com/processes/magnesium-aluminum
So we now use
http://saporitofinishing.com/processes/nh35
EPA compliant and doesn't work. unless it is in a very well controlled environment.
Poly Fiber E-2390 Magna-Dyne This product has been discontinued and is no longer manufactured by PolyFiber. There is no known substitute for this product. PolyFiber makes no guarantees as to how suitable any replacement is for your application. It is your responsibility to verify that a replacement product will work for your application. Is Mag Kote 19 the same Chemical conversion process, does it work the same, is it the same Mil-M-3171 class VI or use a another conversion to get the same results. The MSDS list it as some nasty stuff to use hope you take all the care in using it.

I was under the impression that all of these strippers are "nasty" health wise and to the airplane? Is pressure washing a standard way of cleaning stripper? I don't see how any power washer would do anything BUT drive it into seams and crevices? Is there supposed to be a neutralizing wash of some kind?

water is the neutralizer of today's paint removers.....and power washing is what they do.

water is the neutralizer of today's paint removers.....and power washing is what they do.
And when they use a pressure washer to force it into the lap seams, how does water get in there to neutralize it? IOWs how do you ensure it did ?

And when they use a pressure washer to force it into the lap seams, how does water get in there to neutralize it? IOWs how do you ensure it did ?
Tom....so, how's that happening?...and no water goes with it?

Let's think bout that for a moment.

What if you use a PH neutral paint remover? (it's neither acid, nor base)

What if you use a PH neutral paint remover? (it's neither acid, nor base)
Remember even clean water is an electrolyte, in time it will react with aluminum / magnesium.

Serious question with all the painting of the gear and wheel wells what did they do with the gear switches? Those things are b*tch to get out and reinstall aligned correctly. I can't imagine they love being painted

Serious question with all the painting of the gear and wheel wells what did they do with the gear switches? Those things are b*tch to get out and reinstall aligned correctly. I can't imagine they love being painted

Masking tape?

These are the limit switches that get closed by the gear fully extending. Not sure how well masking tape would work since you either get gear that isn't painted or the rubber cap painted to the gear or a painter that's a lot more clever than me and jacks the plane up so the gear is in an intermediate position for the paint :)

These are the limit switches that get closed by the gear fully extending. Not sure how well masking tape would work since you either get gear that isn't painted or the rubber cap painted to the gear or a painter that's a lot more clever than me and jacks the plane up so the gear is in an intermediate position for the paint :)
hmmm. ;)

All jets have some filler somewhere.

They would look really silly if the space between inspection panels and the skin cutouts weren't filled with sealant (proseal or equivalent) and painted over too.
They wouldn't look silly, they'd suffer from a little extra parasitic drag. It's usually called "aerodynamic sealant".

Most of the experts around this forum don't even know what alclad aluminum is let alone what sanding does to it.
Alclad is an aluminum alloy, usually sheet, that has a thin layer of pure aluminum , approximately .005 thick, clad to the surface. It adds corrosion resistance. So, you can imagine what sanding does to it. Question for you GA guys: Do any GA aircraft have chem-milled skins?

Alclad is an aluminum alloy, usually sheet, that has a thin layer of pure aluminum , approximately .005 thick, clad to the surface. It adds corrosion resistance. So, you can imagine what sanding does to it. Question for you GA guys: Do any GA aircraft have chem-milled skins?
sanding removes the cladding, so steps must be taken to restore the corrosion protection.
I don't know of any with chem-milled skins, but that is not to say there aren't any. (define GA) There may be some GA aircraft with chem-milled skins, but their cost is well into the 7+ figures, and not what I consider to be GA aircraft. (bugmashers)

I meant bug smashers.
If your lap seams have that much of a void, you are already set up for problems without stripper.

Capillary action will cause moisture to invade the seams.

I meant bug smashers.
If your lap seams have that much of a void, you are already set up for problems without stripper.

Have you ever seen a Cessna or Piper lap seam water tight?

Have you ever seen a Cessna or Piper lap seam water tight?

Never.

So how do you keep the stripper and water out of all the lap seams? Or is that a trade secret?

Never.

So how do you keep the stripper and water out of all the lap seams? Or is that a trade secret?
When you use liquid chemicals you don't.
My point was, using high pressure water to remove the old paint, it makes a very difficult choir more difficult.

You shouldn't blast high pressure water directly into a lapseam. First, you reduce the pressure, then you direct the spray at an angle as to not direct it into the lapseam. There are a lot of places you should never blast high pressure water into on an aircraft.

Last edited:
When you use liquid chemicals you don't.
My point was, using high pressure water to remove the old paint, it makes a very difficult choir more difficult.

You shouldn't blast high pressure water directly into a lapseam. First, you reduce the pressure, then you direct the spray at an angle as to not direct it into the lapseam. There are a lot of places you should never blast high pressure water into on an aircraft.

Appreciate the responses gentlemen. This is an informative thread!

I intuitively understood this as I have never used my pressure washer to clean either my airplane or any of my other vehicles. Just seemed a bad idea forcing water into places it really wasn't meant to go.

Coming back to paint, any views on SW Jetglo? My Aztec was painted using Jetglo about 20 years ago (Acryglo for the stripes). Paint is still in very good condition but Jetglo seems to be a bit brittle. No flaking or problems on the panel surfaces, but various protrusions are seeing the base and trim colours flake off in some places. Could be these locations were not prepped as well as the large areas, but wondering if the type of paint is a contributor?

Next step, of course, is how best to fix all those small areas including a few rivet lines where it appears someone got too enthusiastic with the polisher and took the paint off the heads?

Appreciate the responses gentlemen. This is an informative thread!

I intuitively understood this as I have never used my pressure washer to clean either my airplane or any of my other vehicles. Just seemed a bad idea forcing water into places it really wasn't meant to go.

Coming back to paint, any views on SW Jetglo? My Aztec was painted using Jetglo about 20 years ago (Acryglo for the stripes). Paint is still in very good condition but Jetglo seems to be a bit brittle. No flaking or problems on the panel surfaces, but various protrusions are seeing the base and trim colours flake off in some places. Could be these locations were not prepped as well as the large areas, but wondering if the type of paint is a contributor?

Next step, of course, is how best to fix all those small areas including a few rivet lines where it appears someone got too enthusiastic with the polisher and took the paint off the heads?

Never used it. But I would assume it to be a decent product. And yes, it could (most likely) well be that the prep work was lacking a little.

What's to stop any owner from disassembling their aircraft, stripping it, taking it to the local body shop and having them paint it? Reassemble, have an annual done, and go fly?

Pretty much nothing... I've seen several birds done that way.

Yes. I've seen petroleum jelly used, too. After the paint cures you just wipe it off.

When I get called out for paint repairs I get asked all the time, why I have a tube-o-lube in my paint repair kit. I usually just tell them, "I really love airplanes... like a lot". Some don't get it.

That is one nice looking airplane. Very good job. Thanks for the postings.

I saw your bird in the shop (while mine was being worked on) and it looked very nice. They seem like a top-notch crew there, and
I was very impressed with their work. I would definitely recommend them for anyone considering a new coat.

Back