Importing an experimental from Canada to the US

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
A quick search uncovered a fair bit of interesting things about importing a certificated plane from Canada to the US, but I am curious if it is possible to import an e-ab from Canada to the US.

Is it even possible? What would be involved in the process? Is it different for Canadian Ultralights (like early Kitfoxes) vs larger airplanes (like a Murphy Moose)?

I haven't looked into importing an EAB, but the RV-10 that AOPA gave away was built and registered in Canada, so there is a process.....

It’s done all the time. I think the Canadian registration has to be canceled and the FAA notified. Then you have to hire a DAR and get a new AWC. A new US registration completes the process.

Is it even possible? What would be involved in the process?
Yes possible. Since there is no common E/AB rules between countries its a bit different than with a TC'd aircraft. Basically, you comply with the same standard paperwork process but you will need to start at square one to get the AWC. Think of it as the same process you go through if you built the aircraft in the US. All the same requirements apply in order to get that Canadian E/AB legal to fly here. Look for an experienced DAR who has done it before and you shouldn't have any issues provided the aircraft checks all the required boxes.

Back