I'm OK, but plane is broke.

I can't help but notice the cowling is in primer..:confused::confused:.

I am guessing this is not the first rodeo for this plane..:dunno::redface:

Nope. Years ago it was flipped on a storm. But she likes to fly. Just one of those planes that just won't die.

I have a whole lot of questions about that.

Why did the axel cups that protrude thru the strut not hold the wheel in place?

there is no way possible to have the wheel leave the strut with them in place see the page from the 100 service manual.
Item 9 (axel bolt) would have to be removed the cups Item 12 would have to be missing before items 13 and 14 could get loose.

other wise your strut is broken off at the wheel attachment points.

It looks like something about 3/8" diameter is what sheared. Assume that to be the through-bolt.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2013-07-14 10.00.11.jpg
    2013-07-14 10.00.11.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 329

there is no way possible to have the wheel leave the strut with them in place see the page from the 100 service manual.
Item 9 (axel bolt) would have to be removed the cups Item 12 would have to be missing before items 13 and 14 could get loose.

My thoughts as well Tom which is why I asked. Seems it would be very hard to loose the wheel and axle without the fork being broken.

Looking at Alphadog's pics... The fork is ground down...... This repair is gonna cost ALOT more then 1000 dollars...:yes::hairraise::yikes:

I don't think my 150 had the caps that pass through the fork like your saying. I *think* just the thru bolt attached it to the fork.... which is what this appears to be.

Its all moot at this point, the fork is worthless. I'd be very curious if the engine mount is bent, not just the firewall. How well is the spinner lined up with the cowling opening now?

Last edited:
I don't think my 150 had the caps that pass through the fork like your saying. I *think* just the thru bolt attached it to the fork.... which is what this appears to be.

Its all moot at this point, the fork is worthless. I'd be very curious if the engine mount is bent, not just the firewall. How well is the spinner lined up with the cowling opening now?

To my untrained eye, it looks ok. My mechanic didn't say anything about it when he checked it out. Won't know for sure until tomorrow. Fingers crossed until then.

To my untrained eye, it looks ok. My mechanic didn't say anything about it when he checked it out. Won't know for sure until tomorrow. Fingers crossed until then.

well good luck.

at the very least
wheel, axle, tire & tube
nose pant with aluminum door thingy
used strut with fork

Hard to believe after all of that there was no prop strike.

No ding on the prop tips?

I'll agree that extensive firewall and engine mount inspections are in order.

I might even want to pull the engine mount away from the firewall and make sure the washers & bolts aren't hiding any cracks

I'd also look to see if the departing pieces struck the bottom of the airplane denting the fuselage, stab or elevator.

Looking at Alphadog's pics... The fork is ground down...... This repair is gonna cost ALOT more then 1000 dollars...:yes::hairraise::yikes:

Not really, the lower portion of the strut is about 150 bucks from Wentworth, the strut repack kit is about the same and about an hours work.

The whole strut comes off the 150 by drifting out one roll pin, after the pressure has been released.

relieve the pressure by removing the filler valve
drift out the roll pin, remove from aircraft.
remove the scissor bolt (any one of three)
Remove the keeper at the bottom of the upper strut
pull the strut apart.
clean and replace the "O" rings and bushings as necessary.
reassemble in reverse order.
fill with hydraulic oil.
fill with N2.
go fly.

Last edited:
As a companion thread to, "On the ground, did not die", who here has had top make this call or text? It happened to me last night :sad:. Night flight with instructor. Second landing at KEBT. Came in low and short. Nose wheel hit leading edge of runway, nose wheel broke off, and we went skidding down the runway for 200 yards. We were able to move it off the runway and to a tie down spot. No prop strike :rockon:!!! Mechanic came out this morning. First look appears only the wheel and the fork were damaged. Got lucky on this one. Talked to the FAA inspector this morning. He said it will probably be written up as in incident, but is going to check out the plane tomorrow morning.

Sounds like you caught your instructor napping :)

I still can't believe there wasn't a prop strike. How much clearance was there between the prop and the pavement sitting grinded fork?

well good luck.

at the very least
wheel, axle, tire & tube
nose pant with aluminum door thingy
used strut with fork

I had the nose pant taken off, just in case something like this happened. Maybe I jinxed myself. Hopefully the strut is ok. It moved like it was supposed to and there was nothing leaking out of it.

I still can't believe there wasn't a prop strike. How much clearance was there between the prop and the pavement sitting grinded fork?
strut extension= 2.5 "
tire and wheel = 6"

prop ground clearance 12-14" normally

Sounds like you caught your instructor napping :)

My instructor was talking to me the entire time. Even he was surprised we hit short. Prop was fine. No dings, or anything. As soon as he hit, my CFI grabbed the yoke and held it back. Rode the fork all the way to stop. Prop was probably 6-8 inches off the ground after the wheel came off.

I had the nose pant taken off, just in case something like this happened. Maybe I jinxed myself. Hopefully the strut is ok. It moved like it was supposed to and there was nothing leaking out of it.

Show me anywhere it says you can remove 1 wheel pant.

the W&B pages of the owners manual says they all come off or all three are on. they only give one weight and one arm for the item "wheel pant"

The lower portion of your strut is toast.

the W&B pages of the owners manual says they all come off or all three are on. they only give one weight and one arm for the item "wheel pant"

The lower portion of your strut is toast.

All 3 are off.

Show me anywhere is says we can't. Measure the weight and arm then calculate it out....

FWIW mine has a figure for the nose and a figure both mains on the equipment list.

Show me anywhere is says we can't. Measure the weight and arm then calculate it out....

FWIW mine has a figure for the nose and a figure both mains.

Cessna's weight and balance portion of the owners manual is the FAA excepted method to do the W&B of a 150/172/182/etc.

any thing else requires a field approval or STC. which will not be given because of the existing data in the Owners manual.

FWIW mine has a figure for the nose and a figure both mains on the equipment list.

That I would have to see.

Cessna's weight and balance portion of the owners manual is the FAA excepted method to do the W&B of a 150/172/182/etc.

any thing else requires a field approval or STC. which will not be given because of the existing data in the Owners manual.

Hog wash. You need an STC for every antenna then.

My old flight school/CRS ran all the fixed gears without nose pants because they where easily damaged with the Wheel Horse

What does your Owners manual W&B section say about removed items?

This is contrary to the later versions that have the removable equipment in the owners manual and a place to enter the removal and replacement. The later manual has only one entry for wheel fairings it's either all or nothing.

thank for showing your W&B sheets, ya live ya learn.

Wouldn't the Type Certificate Data Sheet have the final word on that?

It does really, the TCDS requires the owners manual and all other placards to be in the aircraft when flown. Cessna does their W&B in the owners manual. each time the aircraft is flown the pilot must comply with FAR 91 by doing the math of using the graphs by entering the Weight at each station and adding the moments, then locating the point on the graph. to see if the aircraft meets its CG limits

??? White Industries or any salvor has a pile of those laying around, can't imagine paying over $1000 installed.

What does your Owners manual W&B section say about removed items?

This is contrary to the later versions that have the removable equipment in the owners manual and a place to enter the removal and replacement. The later manual has only one entry for wheel fairings it's either all or nothing.

thank for showing your W&B sheets, ya live ya learn.

Indeed. "all or nothing" rule of thumb clearly doesn't apply to everything. We can remove an ELT, revise the W&B and fly (90 days) without it, the nose pant in this case isn't much different IMHO.

SOP is to remove the INOP equipment physically, placard as necessary, make a log entry stating why, and add a temporary W&B/Equipment List Revision, even without an MEL.

Did you mean KETB, West Bend?

Indeed. "all or nothing" rule of thumb clearly doesn't apply to everything. We can remove an ELT, revise the W&B and fly (90 days) without it, the nose pant in this case isn't much different IMHO.

SOP is to remove the INOP equipment physically, placard as necessary, make a log entry stating why, and add a temporary W&B/Equipment List Revision, even without an MEL.
The ELT wasn't a part of the aircraft's production certificate, the wheel pant is/was.

Back