I'm in hospital

I'm in the same boat with Ghery; have been too busy to be on the board this past week to even look online... I'd not have known about this if it weren't for Spike cluing me in on the phone. So, please accept my belated "sorry you're not feeling well, get better soon!" and "congratulations, I'm glad it all worked out well!!".

"Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

She just got the word 15 minutes ago that she's released from the hospital!:happydance::wonderwoman::rollercoaster:

Yup! We left the hospital at about 1:00. After dinner, she went upstairs and took a shower and washed her hair for the first time in days! I'm about to go upstairs and give her a Darvocet.:yes:

Yay. :)

It's amazing how a shower can make you feel so much better.

Darvocet eh? That is some good stuff. :D

Re: I'm in hospital - I'm here (sort of)

Morning, everyone! Leslie here; I wanted to say thank you so much for your kind thoughts and wishes over the past week! I wasn't up to typing much while in the hospital, but Grant would read your messages to me each day, and hearing from y'all made a world of difference in an uncertain and scary time. I could visualize many of you from Gaston's, 6Y9 and other venues; much easier to think of myself on the flight line with friends than in a hospital bed.

However, I did get some flying in - morphine and dilaudid given through an IV are much more cost-effective than 100LL these days, and I think it counts as IMC if you close your eyes :)

Because the docs weren't sure what was wrong, we didn't go for that lightweight laparoscopy procedure stuff, with just a couple of tiny incision holes for instruments :no: - noooo, I got the extra value size full laparotomy, complete with a pretty long abdominal scar and surgical staples. I should get the staples out in about a week and a half or so, and I'm learning how to get up and around by not using those stomach muscles, so they can heal and reconnect - and let all the internal incisions heal too. That's not easy (try it sometime - you don't know how much you use those muscles until you can't), and Grant's done very well in jury-rigging some exercise equipment and kitchen chairs so I have something like a side rail by the bed to pull on.

Full recovery will be a while, but returning to somewhat active duty will likely take about 4 weeks or so. First two weeks will be pretty much laying on life's brake pedal - shuffling about home-bound, no heavy lifting, lots of bed rest, no car rides, no work, et al. Other activity will probably be allowed afterwards as I can handle it.

I am bummed about having to strike Oshkosh and Alaska this year, although everyone tells me that now is the time to take it easy and heal properly - last thing we need is to get up into Northern Canada and have a bunch of internal stitches bust from turbulence with no quick access to a hospital.

Bright side is I'll finally have time to read all of the POA postings in between darvocet-induced naps, one of which is coming on now... I took about an hour to type this, and I'm tired, so it's back to bed - but Grant and I will keep you posted.

The Bahamas will feel very good after all this :yes:.

Many thanks again, Leslie

Remarkable, really, how reassuring it is to read your post, Leslie. Do glad you are home and on the mend.

It really does stink when someone who is part of my second family is hurt or hurting. Do not push it, just let Grant pamper you as only he can do. My experience has been that, no matter how much we try, us guys usually do about 10% of what our Goddess-like mates do, so let Grant have a little "catch-up."

And Alaska and OSH will be there when you're ready!

However, I did get some flying in - morphine and dilaudid given through an IV are much more cost-effective than 100LL these days, and I think it counts as IMC if you close your eyes :)

Glad to hear you're home Leslie. OSH and Alaska can wait for later--you rest up and heal. I can tell you're gonna be fine, because that little quote above is the funniest dang thing I've read in a long time! :rofl: :yes:

Leslie, pay attention to those lifting limits!!

DO NOT pick up anything until they say you can, unless, of course, you LIKE having abdominal surgery. :eek: You can get an incisional hernia in a flippin' heartbeat if you try and pick up stuff before your belly is ready to do that.

They "forgot" to tell me to not, and next thing ya know, there it was. It took TWO additional surgeries to get it fixed. :(

Welcome back in person, Leslie. Nice to see you up and about, even if you're not at full speed. Soon enough, you'll be chasing Grant around....

Glad you're on the mend, Leslie!

I've never had that surgery (or any, thankfully... but I'm still young). My mom's had abdominal surgery before, complete with staples and all. Afterwards they had her on morphine. Good stuff! It was really funny seeing my mom high.

Rest up! You need it! And this is a time where you get to go against brainwashing and say "Drugs are gooooood!"

Leslie,

It's so good to hear from you. I'm happy to hear that you're finally home. Take it easy. Grant's a good man...and he'll take care of you. You'll be back at it before you know it.

Jason

"Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

She just got the word 15 minutes ago that she's released from the hospital!:happydance::wonderwoman::rollercoaster:

I'm late but I was gonna say QUICK go home and clean up the house!! Glad your out Leslie! I was wondering why it was gonna take so long to recuperate I was thinking hmm a few small holes but now I understand.

As for the Darvocet and Booze :no: Dosen't anyone remember Karen Ann Quinlen? Save it for later and just heal!

Last edited:
Nope, no alcohol here for a while, although one of my sisters dropped off a box of margarita-flavored Jell-O for me :)

Leslie

I'm late but I was gonna say QUICK go home and clean up the house!! Glad your out Leslie! I was wondering why it was gonna take so long to recuperate I was thinking hmm a few small holes but now I understand.
Yeah, I estimate the incision at about a half foot, and there are a good 25 staples visible, not to mention all the subcutaneous sutures!

I just saw about the hospital stay. Hoping for a speedy resolution and best of luck to both of you.

Well, Leslie went to the surgeon today for a followup and to have the staples removed. Things are looking good enough that we're going to try to do one day at AirVenture this year. Our FBO is running a King Air C90 up there on Wednesday, 7/30, so we've taken a couple of seats on it. A stairway and largish seats should make it a lot easier on her. I'll look into renting one of the mobility carts so she doesn't get all tired out, since she definitely won't be fully recuperated by then.

Unfortunately we leave Oshkosh at 1800, so we won't be able to do the party. Hopefully we'll meet up with some of you there, though!

She's been out to the airport TWICE since she was released from the hospital! Every time she has a doctor's followup, I make a point to run her by so she can see some planes and say "Hi!" to our friends there.

She's been out to the airport TWICE since she was released from the hospital! Every time she has a doctor's followup, I make a point to run her by so she can see some planes and say "Hi!" to our friends there.

nothing makes you heal faster then saying hi to the airplanes.

Great plan for AirVenture. I hope that comes off without a (st)hitch. Yuk, yuk, yuk. Get well soon, Leslie. I can't imagine what it's like to be off flight status. Make sure your man is EXTRA special nice to you. You deserve it.

GRANT -- GET TO WORK!!!!!

Great plan for AirVenture. I hope that comes off without a (st)hitch. Yuk, yuk, yuk. Get well soon, Leslie. I can't imagine what it's like to be off flight status. Make sure your man is EXTRA special nice to you. You deserve it.

GRANT -- GET TO WORK!!!!!
Yes she does. Maybe I'LL be extra nice to her, too!:rofl::blowingkisses:

Be good to Leslie, Grant. Statistically the women will be the ones nursing us....supporting us.....burying us..... :O

Always. Just got back from taking her to see her Dad. And on Sunday we went out to the airport to look at planes. Shame there were so few flying on a beautiful day!

Always. Just got back from taking her to see her Dad. And on Sunday we went out to the airport to look at planes. Shame there were so few flying on a beautiful day!

Flying helps recovery faster than looking! :yes:

Glad she's doing well! I hope to see you both next Wednesday at Osh!

Flying helps recovery faster than looking! :yes:

Glad she's doing well! I hope to see you both next Wednesday at Osh!
She can't yet even step up to get into the SUV, much less the plane. In the King Air, however, the steps should make it easy!:yes:

Look forward to seeing you Wednesday.

Re: I'm in hospital - update

Morning, everyone. An update at 4.5 weeks post-op:

It was great to see all the PoAers at OSH for Wednesday's lunch. Glad we picked up that mobility cart - I don't think I would have made it more than an hour without it!

Stopped by the airport on Friday, saw our favorite 182 on the line, and I wondered: have I healed enough to get in it? Got the key to check, and while I stepped up rather than my usual hop, I was successful!
woohoo1.gif
Got in the seat, able to bend and adjust seat position and fuel tank switch on the floor, full pedal reach, far right controls (flaps, air) and seat belt use all OK.

Set up time with an instructor next weekend; get reacquainted with the procedures, and make sure I can go through all the necessities in the air as well as on the ground.

Still have some lifting restrictions, but it sure felt good to be in the left seat again. All that rest time (not easy for me to just sit; ask Grant) is paying off.....

Leslie

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back