I'm getting a Tesla in the morning!!!

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
Well, one share of Telsa Motors, anyway! ;)

A few hundred dollars had accrued in an online brokerage account, so I figured I'd get "invested" in a company that is, shall we say, interesting.

If all goes well, my plan is to someday cash in my share and buy a Tesla!

What could possibly go wrong? :dunno:

You had me going until I opened the thread. Best of luck with the investment.

I was in Longmont Colorado last week and saw a Tesla there. What a cool car. I have not seen any in the area I live.

If and when they get down to the $35k range, I'll get interested.

There is an announcement coming along those lines.*

Just have to nurse our '05 Honda Element along until then!

*Apparently announced: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a12983/35000-tesla-model-iii-coming-in-2017/

Ouch. That's going to hurt. The status symbol of the discerning environmentalist is now attainable by the unwashed masses. Can't imagine this will bode well for the resell value of the model S either.

You had me going until I opened the thread. Best of luck with the investment.

I was in Longmont Colorado last week and saw a Tesla there. What a cool car. I have not seen any in the area I live.

Really, wow. Here in California they are now super common and nobody even notices them anymore. I will pass more than one every time I drive anywhere. From all accounts, (I personally have not driven one) they are fantastic cars. Many say they are the best car they have ever had. People here have no problem ponying up the cash. It is a lot of cash too.

I'm waiting for mine too. The one that costs a lot less.

This is excellent news and great for the car industry. The BMW i3 is expensive, at $48K for a nicely loaded one. If you try to go off grid with this car, you are looking at a $50-$70K upfront bill (including house solar panels). But, depending on how much you drive, it could be worth it.

Fast Eddie, you can pick up your Tesla and Cirrus Jet all in the same year :)

I'm waiting for the $35k model 3. I see at least 2-3 Teslas per day on the road out here in Phoenix.

A friend of mine has one. I have to say i was pleasantly surprised. I was anticipating an "electric car" type of exceleration , and its anything but. Very smooth, and extremely fast! Ive driven just about every type of performance/luxury car made, and this was up there with the best of them.

Ouch. That's going to hurt. The status symbol of the discerning environmentalist is now attainable by the unwashed masses. Can't imagine this will bode well for the resell value of the model S either.

This is so true

A friend of mine has one. I have to say i was pleasantly surprised. I was anticipating an "electric car" type of exceleration , and its anything but. Very smooth, and extremely fast! Ive driven just about every type of performance/luxury car made, and this was up there with the best of them.

Search on YouTube for "Tesla Insane Mode." 0-60 in about 3 seconds. I want one, I just don't want to pay for one! Driving a Ford Fusion Energi now so I can get some electric car goodness and no range anxiety without having to pony up for the Tesla. Nothing else meets my range requirements yet.

Search on YouTube for "Tesla Insane Mode." 0-60 in about 3 seconds. I want one, I just don't want to pay for one! Driving a Ford Fusion Energi now so I can get some electric car goodness and no range anxiety without having to pony up for the Tesla. Nothing else meets my range requirements yet.

A Vette will do a 3sec 0-60 and still get 30mpg at 80mph, hold it's value better, don't have to deal with waiting while it charges and it costs a fraction of the price.

I like the Tesla car much better than the Tesla stock.

Absolutely the most fun car I have ever mashed an accelerator pedal on.

By the time your stock would buy a Tesla you might have to choose between the Tesla car or Tesla electric airplane.

Contemplating pulling the trigger on a new S 70D. Thanks in advance for your portion of the Federal Tax Credit and all of the "subsidized" electricity!

A Vette will do a 3sec 0-60 and still get 30mpg at 80mph, hold it's value better, don't have to deal with waiting while it charges and it costs a fraction of the price.

While the Vette is certainly a capable sports car, I'm think you're looking at two different types of buyers. The Tesla is more like a high tech luxury sedan that happens to accelerate nicely.

Audi gave me some Audi swag to drive a Model S and be interviewed about it. What a hoot of a car. I just couldn't see spending the money on it and got a volt at a third of the price.

Were I in the market for a supercar I'd buy a Vette. 90% of what the fastest supercars can do at a quarter the price. A value in the book of Steingar. And they're pretty spanky.

Contemplating pulling the trigger on a new S 70D. Thanks in advance for your portion of the Federal Tax Credit and all of the "subsidized" electricity!

We're all getting what we can however we can. That's how the game is played.

We're all getting what we can however we can. That's how the game is played.

Not here. In all my years of paying taxes, I've gotten a grand total of $250 in tax credits - which was less than what I paid in sales tax on the new furnace. So I am still in the red on that deal.

Do you see the upside of Telsa stock in the cars? or Powerwall and other "non vehicle" products?

And we all know car manufacturers never exaggerate the numbers......

Well if both Tesla and Chevy are exaggerating, then the Vette is still faster, which is more the point. Also the Lingenfelter Vette wasn't a manufacturer number. That was a test run. And my C5, the numbers are within a tenth of what that site says, so I'm willing to say 3.0 is probably correct. Still slower than my bike though.

Well if both Tesla and Chevy are exaggerating, then the Vette is still faster, which is more the point. Also the Lingenfelter Vette wasn't a manufacturer number. That was a test run. And my C5, the numbers are within a tenth of what that site says, so I'm willing to say 3.0 is probably correct. Still slower than my bike though.

What I really, really want is a merger of both. I want fully electric, drop top Vette! Sadly, GM, or anybody else do not have that planned for me.

Do you see the upside of Telsa stock in the cars? or Powerwall and other "non vehicle" products?

I basically hold to the "Efficient Market Hypothesis", tempered with some "Random Walk" and a smidgeon of intuition.

So, I think a given stock is always priced correctly at any given point in time and almost exactly as likely to go down as to go up - its in the nature of markets.

Just buying on intuition and "buzz" and Elon Musk. Some companies I just want to be a part of.

I think the Powerwall will end up having applications as yet undreamed of - I'm imagining one installed in my travel trailer! And the cars do seem to be ahead of the curve. But of course everyone else knows what I know, so all that's reflected in the price of the stock already.

What I really, really want is a merger of both. I want fully electric, drop top Vette! Sadly, GM, or anybody else do not have that planned for me.

The big issue with the electrics is range and recharge. I just drove (ugh) from Wisconsin Rapids back home to Grand Rapids on one tank in my C5, and still had 100 miles until empty. And it only took me 3 minutes to fill up.

How far can you go on a 3 minute charge?

The big issue with the electrics is range and recharge. I just drove (ugh) from Wisconsin Rapids back home to Grand Rapids on one tank in my C5, and still had 100 miles until empty. And it only took me 3 minutes to fill up.

How far can you go on a 3 minute charge?

Here's a rather humorous take on the gas vs. electric issue:

http://teslaclubsweden.se/test-drive-of-a-petrol-car/

There are just so many drawbacks to gas cars, I'm not sure they'll catch on. ;)

250 mile range is all those have? That's worse than I thought. And puts me right in the middle of Cook County when the battery goes dead. And how long do I have to sit in that **** hole while it recharges?

PIREP?

Just planning for when the Element finally bites the dust!

Love the Fusion Energi. I'm averaging about 66 mpg overall, and saving $75-$100/mo in gas costs compared to my old car (Volvo S60 T5). And yes, that is after correcting for the extra cost of electricity.

Gas mileage will vary depending on how much you can drive it as an EV. I think the rated EV range is 21 miles, but you can do better than that if you drive it right. It's also better in warmer weather than colder weather.

Speaking of cold weather, one of my favorite features is "preconditioning." I have "go times" set at 8:10 AM each weekday. Prior to that time, it uses electrical power from my house to heat the cabin, seats, and steering wheel so that it's toasty warm when I get in and leave for work in the winter. It'll do the same in the summer, cooling the cabin and seats. Pretty sweet.

After the EV miles are used up (battery down to 20%), it functions just like a regular hybrid, combining gas and electric power for a bit over 40mpg and about 600 mile total range.

The only notable physical differences from the regular Fusion except for the weirdness under the hood are the little "Energi" tag on the trunk, the charge port just forward of the driver's door, and about half the trunk space filled with battery. But, it's a nice, normal-sized car.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the engineering on this. It's got the second-best range among affordable (sub-$50K) plug-in hybrids behind the smaller Volt. If you're a geek like me, you can get lots of info about the car's systems on its three LCD screens, but if you're not a geek you'll still be quickly comfortable driving this car, as they've gone to great lengths to make it feel like you're driving a normal car, minus the engine noise and shift-bumps that aren't there. When the engine does start, it's very quiet and there is no indication other than sound and the tach (if you have it displayed) coming alive - You don't feel it at all.

As for charging, I only have an L1 charger (120V), it takes about 6.5-7 hours for a full charge. Depending on the places you want to go and the timing, you might do better by installing an L2 (240V) charger, which will give you a full charge in 2-2.5 hours and is somewhat more efficient (about 82% vs. 72% for the L1). The cost of charging is about a buck for me (7 kWh or so at 13c/kWh). I'm on a flat-rate electrical plan, if you have an off-peak plan you can actually tell the car when your cheap rates are and it'll automatically start charging when the cheap rates kick in.

There's an iOS (and presumably Android) app for the Energi that lets me lock, unlock, remote start, check charging status, etc. from anywhere in the world - The car has a built-in cell connection that's free for the first 5 years to enable the app. The Energi models (C-Max and Fusion) are the only Fords that have this function.

Also on the remote start - It has two-way communication with the key fob, so a few seconds after you hit the buttons to start the car, you get an indication of whether the car started successfully.

I could go on - There's a ton to say. Let me know if you have any questions!

250 mile range is all those have? That's worse than I thought. And puts me right in the middle of Cook County when the battery goes dead. And how long do I have to sit in that **** hole while it recharges?

Tesla has a network of "superchargers" they're deploying across the country along the interstates. They can do an 80% charge in 20 minutes. Stop to stretch and pee, and keep on going.

Oh, and they're FREE. Does GM give you free gas for your Vette?

I pretty much need a minimum of 200 miles of range to make a BEV make sense. That's why I bought a PHEV. My range is about 600 miles between what's in the battery and what's in the tank, and I can fuel up like any other car.

If the Teslas were more affordable, I'd be on one like flies on stink.

Last edited:
Oh, and they're FREE. Does GM give you free gas for your Vette?

$60,000 used for a Tesla S
I paid $25,000 for my Vette, used.

I've put about 45,000 miles on it since I bought it. At 25mpg avg (and yes, that's what I average) I've burned about 1800 gallons. Even at an average of $3.50 for premium, I've only spent $6300 in fuel.

$25,000 + $6300 = $31,300
Subtracting from $60,000 I still have $28,700/8200gallons/200,000+ miles of "free" fuel left.

You sound like one of those people that thinks it's better to keep paying interest on a mortgage because of the tax deduction.

Bit of a hijack, but...

...under certain circumstances it can be.

I will fail to ever see how spending, say $5000 in interest in order to get $1000 back in taxes is ever a good thing.

I will fail to ever see how spending, say $5000 in interest in order to get $1000 back in taxes is ever a good thing.

Not far from my exact scenario:

Let's say you owe $100,000 at a fixed rate 3.75% with a 30 year term.

Uncle dies, leaves you $100,000. (This part is fictional.)

Option 1: pay off loan.

Option 2: invest the $100,000 and use the monthly interest to pay the mortgage each month. 4% return should be realistic, albeit with some risk.

Option 2 advantages:

Advantage 1: keeps the deduction, leaving more of your own money in your pocket year after year.

Advantage 2: with inflation, you're paying off that loan with smaller and smaller dollars - hugely significant over 30 years.

Nothing wrong with Option 1 if you're philosophically opposed to debt. And with Option 2 one must pay tax on dividends, unless one chooses tax free vehicles, which pay a lower rate.

But my point is that choosing Option 2 is hardly irrational. And one that I have de facto chosen, since I could pay off my small mortgage if I wanted to, but choose not to. Similarly, I always tried to make additional principal payments on past mortgages. On my current one, I no longer do, assuming there are more productive uses for that money.

Last edited:
But, that's a different animal. I'm talking about people who keep a mortgage solely because of the tax refund, not to reinvest it (or in their case, waste it on crap) into other avenues.

I never had a 3.75% mortgage, as mine was higher than that when I paid it off. I do have a 2.25% HELoC for emergencies, but that's been at a $0 balance for two years, and closes in 2 years. I am in the option one camp, though I suppose there's a bunch of calculus type equations based on age, earnings etc as to whether at retirement age it would have been better to pay off the mortgage in less than 7 years like I did, and then take that extra and invest it over the next 23 years. Or to not have that money to invest until the mortgage is paid off. So, make 0.25% for 30 years, or lose 3.75% for 7 years, and then make 4% for the next 23.

Time to bust out the calculator...

Edit: Ran some numbers.

I'm going to base this on the 7 year payoff (my case) and the fictional dead uncle, with the 3.75% and 4.0% numbers.
(Numbers below rounded)
A $100,000 loan will run about $460/month over 30 years.
$1355/month thrown at a $100,000 loan will pay it off in 7 years. Which is almost exactly what I was at.

Option 1
So, rather than pay the mortgage off with our $100,000 windfall we dump $895/month in with the windfall we could have paid in additional principal. At the end of the 30 years the investment is worth $950,000 - less the $66,000 paid in mortgage interest (and I'm ignoring taxes because it should be a wash on made vs deducted anyway) You net about $884,000. Not bad.

Option 2
Pay off the mortgage with the $100,000. Start the investment with $0 in windfall, but put $1355/month in at 4% for the next 30 years. At the end of 30 years that investment is worth $940,000, but $0 in interest was paid, so your net investment is $940,000. $56,000 to the better.

However, I don't have any rich dead uncles, so in my case we have the following:

Option 1
Take that $895/month and put it into a 4% investment. At the end of 30 years, my investment is worth $620,000 but I still paid $66,000 in interest, netting $554,000. Still not too shabby.

Option 2
Do what I did and bust butt for 7 years, and pay off the house. I paid out about $14,000 in interest, and at the end of 7 years have a big fat $0 in my portfolio. But for the next 23 years, I can dump $1355 into an investment and at the end of that 23 years it's worth $612,000 - less the $14,000 I paid, I am at $598,000 - or about $44,000 better.

Now we can get into arguing inflation and what $460/mo is now vs in the future, but I plan on my income never going up.

Also, this is all moot because what do we do as pilots with our extra money? Spend it on planes! :D

Last edited:
Back