I'm getting a Tesla in the morning!!!

I just doubled my position in TSLA!

My plan is for it to split 10 for 1, giving me 20 shares.

Then do it again, giving me 200 shares.

Then climb up to $350/share.

At that point, sell and buy two Tesla 3's for a total of under $500 invested.

What could possibly go wrong? :dunno:

I just doubled my position in TSLA!

My plan is for it to split 10 for 1, giving me 20 shares.

Then do it again, giving me 200 shares.

Then climb up to $350/share.

At that point, sell and buy two Tesla 3's for a total of under $500 invested.

According to Elon... absolutely nothing. Start picking your colors and options. ;)

This was just now a suggested new story for me on my portfolio page:

18160738990_2c61561199_c.jpg

Great minds and all that!

It's the Camaro that's for rednecks. You see wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy more guys wearing wife beaters in Camaros than Vettes. in fact, I've never seen a guy in a wife beater get out of a Vette.

3rd gens lol. I have a 5th gen and I'm far from a redneck.

As soon as they roll out something with a battery that will hold up to at least 10 years use and recharge fully in 30min or less with a 250mi range I'll be really interested.

I think that's coming in the next decade too, I really do. Right now the cost and battery limitations make it not worth it for me.

That's pretty much where Tesla is today.

They obviously can't prove that the battery lasts 10 years yet, but there are people with 100'000 miles on the car with less than 5% degradation.

I have a 2.5 year old Model S P85 with 23000 miles on it, and zero degradation to date. Miles is more of a factor than time.

So I can see no reason for the battery not to last 10 years unless you drive > 250'000 miles in that time.

The 30 minute charge time isn't a big deal. By far the majority of people spend less time waiting for charges in a year than they spend at gas stations in a year.

Actually, the state of California mandates that all electric cars have a 10 year battery warranty. Most manufacturers understand that the batteries won't go that long and will need replacing before 10 years is up, so they build the cost of the replacement battery into the cost of the car. It's part of the reason EVs cost so much.

The good news is, when your battery croaks in say 7 years, it will likely be replaced with a battery that is more advanced and have more power. If the next battery lasts at least another 7 years, that means you get 14 years of driving before having to actually buy another battery. Most people will have traded by then.

Actually, the state of California mandates that all electric cars have a 10 year battery warranty.

The 10/150,000 CARB mandated warranty is only for Hybrids (PZEVs), not pure BEVs. Basically, they don't want the battery to conk out and the car operate only on Gasoline, effectively operating as a non-PZEV vehicle.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

--Carlos V.

The 10/150,000 CARB mandated warranty is only for Hybrids (PZEVs), not pure BEVs. Basically, they don't want the battery to conk out and the car operate only on Gasoline, effectively operating as a non-PZEV vehicle.

--Carlos V.

And what is their definition of "conk out"? If it works but only has 80% of the capacity it started with, what then?

I bought a cayman one morning instead. I saved over fifty grand by not buying a telsa . Gas is cheap. (There's a world wide glut now. ) after ten thousand miles, The cayman is a wonderful road car, the PDK with paddles is just right and its a much better handling car than a vette. The vette is better for a straight line tire burn but so what? I think eventually the Telsa will be a huge success as the price comes down and is refined more. I would not bet against elon , he's a bright genius.

So I drove a Tesla yesterday. They had an event here in Austin and I had an invitation. I've got to say, it's an amazing car. I've owned lots of cars and widely varying designs as well.

It seems like Tesla has removed all the stupid frustrations of car ownership and just left you the good bits. It's exactly what you want transportation to be without all the bull ****. It also seems to be every bit as quick as my GSXR1000. Acceleration and handling were better than the Ferrari F430 I drove recently.

I have no reason to buy one. I work from home, only commute to the airport once a week and drive the wife's SUV with the dogs on the weekend. But if I commuted to an office everyday, I'd have one on order by now. I'm sold.

There are number of 250,000 mile Volts running around with good batteries. The Volt never uses more than 85% of the battery, so until the battery degrades 15% the driver won't notice anything.

--Carlos V.

I did not know that. I thought it was all cars with a battery. Oh well.

There are number of 250,000 mile Volts running around with good batteries. The Volt never uses more than 85% of the battery, so until the battery degrades 15% the driver won't notice anything.

That last bit is not true.

My Ford Fusion Energi also doesn't use the last 15% of the battery, but that doesn't mean that as the battery degrades it'll go lower - That is REALLY BAD for Li-Ion and LiPo batteries, and is the reason they don't use the last 15% in the first place. The software in the car simply won't dip into the last 15% to avoid damaging the battery.

So, after the battery has been degraded 15%, I (or a Volt owner) will be able to use 70% of the battery instead of 85% of the battery.

That last bit is not true.

My Ford Fusion Energi also doesn't use the last 15% of the battery, but that doesn't mean that as the battery degrades it'll go lower - That is REALLY BAD for Li-Ion and LiPo batteries, and is the reason they don't use the last 15% in the first place. The software in the car simply won't dip into the last 15% to avoid damaging the battery.

So, after the battery has been degraded 15%, I (or a Volt owner) will be able to use 70% of the battery instead of 85% of the battery.

Same with a Tesla - you don't get access to the top 10% or bottom 5% of the underlying 18650 cells. That's to extend the life of the battery. But when there is degradation - it shows up immediate.

The Tesla battery does have an infinite-mile 8 year warranty, but it doesn't cover degradation. It does cover you doing something stupid though, like fully discharging the battery and have the battery sit without a charge for 6 months.

So I expected going in that my battery will be degraded 30% or so after 10 years, but based on the evidence so far I think it's probably going to do quite a bit better than that. Maybe 10 to 15%.

Either way, I still doubt Tesla would replace a 30% degraded battery even within the 8 year warranty, unless it's misbehaving in another way.

Same with a Tesla - you don't get access to the top 10% or bottom 5% of the underlying 18650 cells. That's to extend the life of the battery. But when there is degradation - it shows up immediate.

The Tesla battery does have an infinite-mile 8 year warranty, but it doesn't cover degradation. It does cover you doing something stupid though, like fully discharging the battery and have the battery sit without a charge for 6 months.

So I expected going in that my battery will be degraded 30% or so after 10 years, but based on the evidence so far I think it's probably going to do quite a bit better than that. Maybe 10 to 15%.

Either way, I still doubt Tesla would replace a 30% degraded battery even within the 8 year warranty, unless it's misbehaving in another way.

The nice thing with Tesla, though, is that they're offering upgrades. You can upgrade your Tesla with the new 90kWh battery they just came out with a couple of years ago. However, Elon Musk himself said it's not worth doing every time - It makes more sense to wait a while and let your battery degrade some and then do the upgrade if you so choose.

To the Tesla, or other EV owners out there: have you ever run your battery down completely and had the car strand you? Or is this something that doesn't really happen in the real world, given the fact that you know you are in an EV, and you plan accordingly?

To the Tesla, or other EV owners out there: have you ever run your battery down completely and had the car strand you? Or is this something that doesn't really happen in the real world, given the fact that you know you are in an EV, and you plan accordingly?

I've been down to 0 miles and 2 miles on the meter once (Tesla Model S), but never stranded.

Two main reasons for that:

1) You have a LOT of control over energy consumption. So much so that you can drive a Model S and get 425 miles of range, or you can get 150 miles of range - totally depending on your driving style. So if I'm e.g. 10 miles from a charger with 9 miles remaining, I just drive slower and I know I can still make it.

Now of course if you're 50 miles from a charger with 10 miles remaining, then you planned badly - find at least a 110v outlet or you're going to have to call Tesla's roadside assistance to send you a tow truck.

2) Tesla lets you sometimes go a few miles past zero. Some people have gotten as far as 30 miles after zero (while others have shut down right after zero). I haven't been as brave to try it on mine though.

Last edited:

To the non-Tesla, or other GV owners out there:
have you ever run your tank down completely and had the car strand you? Or is this something that doesn't really happen in the real world, given the fact that you know you are in a GV, and you plan accordingly?

:D Just sayin'. ;)

And yes, I've run my petroleum-powered vehicles out of gas a few times in my life... I don't have to worry so much about my current car though, I'd have to run both the tank AND the battery dry to be stranded! :thumbsup:

To the non-Tesla, or other GV owners out there:
have you ever run your tank down completely and had the car strand you? Or is this something that doesn't really happen in the real world, given the fact that you know you are in a GV, and you plan accordingly?

:D Just sayin'. ;)

p:

The biggest difference between EVs and non EVs, is for a non EV, if you can make it to a gas station, even just barely make it, you can gas up and be on your way in a few minutes. And, if you don't make it, you can hoof it to a gas station, get a gallon in an <overpriced> gallon jug and get the vehicle going.

If you run out of EV juice, it will take you a few hours to be on your way, if - that is - you can find a place to let you plug in. And if you are on the side of the road, you will need a very long extension cord to reach to the house nearest you.

The biggest difference between EVs and non EVs, is for a non EV, if you can make it to a gas station, even just barely make it, you can gas up and be on your way in a few minutes. And, if you don't make it, you can hoof it to a gas station, get a gallon in an <overpriced> gallon jug and get the vehicle going.

If you run out of EV juice, it will take you a few hours to be on your way, if - that is - you can find a place to let you plug in. And if you are on the side of the road, you will need a very long extension cord to reach to the house nearest you.

That's the genius of the Chevy Volt. Run the battery down and the gas engine takes over. For a lot of people it's a pretty slick solution.

If running out of gas is something that happens a lot to you, you should probably rethink your choice of vocation... :yikes:

If you really do run out of charge in an EV - call a tow truck. It's not a big deal. I think Tesla provides free towing during the warranty period anyway.

You'd similarly have to call a tow truck on a gas car if your alternator, 12V battery, starter motor, fuel injection etc. fail. And a lot of high-end vehicles don't even come with a spare tire either these days. So if you get a flat - you're calling a tow truck as well.

Sure, you're inconvenience for an hour or two. But if you run out of gas next to the side of the road on some remote highway it will likely strand you for the same length of time as well.

That's the genius of the Chevy Volt. Run the battery down and the gas engine takes over. For a lot of people it's a pretty slick solution.

That's why I like my Ford Fusion Energi - I can drive electric most of the time, but I have *no* range anxiety.

And, I get all those benefits in a good-sized car that looks normal. I'm not a big fan of the weird looks of most electric cars.

If running out of gas is something that happens a lot to you, you should probably rethink your choice of vocation... :yikes:

Nah, I kinda like running out of gas and gliding down. I meet lots of interesting people that way. :D

Actually, the purpose of my original question was just something I wondered about.

And... For the record, I have not run out of gas in any vehicle since that hot date I had in my old Chevy back in the college days... Memories. :)

That's why I like my Ford Fusion Energi - I can drive electric most of the time, but I have *no* range anxiety.

And, I get all those benefits in a good-sized car that looks normal. I'm not a big fan of the weird looks of most electric cars.

No kidding!! The Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiev and the BMW i3 are geek mobiles on steroids! If anybody thought the Prius screamed "I am a green weenie with a pocket protector, or flower in my hair!" these cars scream- "I hate cars and I only drive this because my recumbent bike has a flat!!!"

As a life long car fan, all these cars make make me want to puke when I see them. That's why the Teslas are a breath of fresh air. A reminder that electric cars don't have to look like ****.

No kidding!! The Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiev and the BMW i3 are geek mobiles on steroids! If anybody thought the Prius screamed "I am a green weenie with a pocket protector, or flower in my hair!" these cars scream- "I hate cars and I only drive this because my recumbent bike has a flat!!!"

If it weren't for the distinctive DRLs and funky rims on my e-Golf, you wouldn't be able to distinguish it from a regular Golf.

--Carlos "MQB Chassis" V.

I saw a Tesla the other day with California plates. Not the vehicle I would choose for such a trip.

Next month I turn in my 3 year lease for my Ford Fusion Energi. I enjoyed the EV lifestyle but now that gas is back down I went to an SUV as I need the space and there's no real options with an EV SUV. I think my best MPG was 119.9 MPG, 1308 miles on 10.91 gallons. Not too shabby!

You know when you get all excited and post stuff like this, you appear to be on the same page as the general populace with regards to plane crashes and people flying in "death traps".

Go ahead, post every single Tesla fire you can find. It's easy because every single one of them has been reported in the national news. Then compare them to the numbers of Teslas that have been built.

When you have finished that. Post up all the people that died because a Tesla spontaneously caught fire while driving.

Yep, Teslas are total death traps, but since I already fly one, I figured I'm no worse off. :thumbsup:

I saw a Tesla the other day with California plates. Not the vehicle I would choose for such a trip.

Why not? The "gas" is free thanks to the Supercharger network, the car is comfortable, and you basically are going to stop about as often as you'd like anyway - At least, that's what I hear from owners, that by the time you need a charge, you also need a break so it works out quite well on road trips.

Go ahead, post every single Tesla fire you can find. It's easy because every single one of them has been reported in the national news. Then compare them to the numbers of Teslas that have been built.

Not to mention that every one of the (what is it, four now I think?) people who has had a Tesla fire, has bought another Tesla. They're that good.

Back