Illegal ATPL Training?!

jarinawoz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jarinawoz
Dear All! I'm just before my ATPL theory, but I have a little problem: I made a deep search about the low-cost ATPL schools, and I've found that some of them don't provide any classroom training. Do you think it's normal (legal)? I don't really want to risk my licence and my money.
Thank you for your answer!

Is the ATP different from other certificates such as the private and commercial which require a signoff for the written and one for the checkride? Are these always provided by the same CFI or school?

Are you looking at part 61 schools? Most of them don’t have required ground training. Nothing illegal about it.

I would like to hear the explanation of why these places don't provide class room instruction.

Quick cliff notes answer:

The new ATP-CTP program requirement is set forth in Advisory Circular 61.138 and requires 30 hours of ground instruction covering a long list of topics within the subject areas of aerodynamics, meteorology and air carrier operations, and 10 hours of simulator time, six of which must be conducted in a Level C full-motion simulator.

The long boring FAA answer: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-138_CHG_1.pdf

I would like to hear the explanation of why these places don't provide class room instruction.

The new ATP-CTP program requirement is set forth in Advisory Circular 61.138 and requires 30 hours of ground instruction covering a long list of topics within the subject areas of aerodynamics, meteorology and air carrier operations, and 10 hours of simulator time, six of which must be conducted in a Level C full-motion simulator.

The long boring FAA answer: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_61-138_CHG_1.pdf
I’m assuming the OP is talking about post ATP-CTP training. There’s no formal ground school requirement after completing the CTP course.

Maybe they are only offering the ATP SEL/S that is not concurrent with a type rating?

I’m assuming the OP is talking about post ATP-CTP training. There’s no formal ground school requirement after completing the CTP course.

There is no training required period, beyond the CTP. And the CTP is only required for the multiengine rating.

In other words, there is nothing illegal about what these places are doing. Now if we’re talking about training at a different certificate level then the answer is maybe.

I'm not sure the OP is talking about training in the US.
This. Sounds like an international inquiry. For those curious ,"ATPL" and "Theory" are pretty good indicators of international students.

Probably just confusion about the terminology. ATP written and practical have nothing to do with CTP, aside from CTP being a prerequisite for ATP multi, and the fact that some CTP programs also include ATP stuff in their bottom line/cost. As an example, you can do the DAL CTP for $4799 without ATP written, or $4999 with it included. All they are doing there is facilitating the test on the last day, and providing you with Sheppard Air study material for the test. Nothing during the CTP week is built to prepare you for the ATP written. Additionally, they provide no option for the ATP practical, in this specific example (probably in part because DAL only requires ATP written, not practical, to be hired). There are other places that will do all, for a much increased cost, and complete your ATP practical in a level D sim. In other words, I can see how OP might have some confusion about this.

Back