IFR SIM

KKissmann

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KKissmann
I just started my IFR training (only two lessons in) when would it be suggested that I can start using my flight schools sim for my training?

I don't see any reason you can't start using it right away for basic instrument flying.

Talk to your instructor about how and where it fits into their syllabus.

I used it for procedures and holding patterns. I could not visualize holding patterns in the airplane so my CFI suggested the Redbird that way we could pause, reset, and talk about the procedures. It made a world of difference. It's pretty hard to reset and pause in the airplane. Plus we could bang out a lot more approaches inside the sim,

I would suggest you avoid takeoffs and landings in the simulator. They're unlikely to be realistic or useful tests, and may just waste time. I found it more helpful to do approaches and then cancel the simulation when on final (and runway in sight).

What kind of sim? I'd say yes if it's part of the syllabus or if it's just a procedures trainer like the G1000 sim. I did the Cessna-King program and my flight school had an AATD (Redbird FMX). My first 14 hours were in that Redbird before I transitioned to the airplane to complete my training.

As has been mentioned, I found the sim to be useful only in a few cases, similar to those mentioned. Especially, trim is wildly different in a sim, and you'll have to figure out what to do about that.

The only place I really found it better than a real airplane was for instrument failures and other emergencies. You can do approaches faster, but only some of the issues are the same, and the dynamics go quite differently when hand flown. In reality, I had a much easier time in the sim than in a real airplane flying an ILS. The sensations are very differently disorienting in a real airplane, and I never suffered any disorientation whatsoever in the sim.

Your instructor is the authority here. The sim should satisfy a goal in your instruction.

As has been mentioned, I found the sim to be useful only in a few cases, similar to those mentioned. Especially, trim is wildly different in a sim, and you'll have to figure out what to do about that.

The only place I really found it better than a real airplane was for instrument failures and other emergencies. You can do approaches faster, but only some of the issues are the same, and the dynamics go quite differently when hand flown. In reality, I had a much easier time in the sim than in a real airplane flying an ILS. The sensations are very differently disorienting in a real airplane, and I never suffered any disorientation whatsoever in the sim.

Your instructor is the authority here. The sim should satisfy a goal in your instruction.

My experience was just the opposite. IIRC we only did a few approaches in the Redbird and that was right before we transitioned. The syllabus was focused more on attitude flying and basic navigation at that point. I agree about the trim though. I had a devil of a time keeping the sim in trim which made hand flying a real chore. I found flying the airplane a piece of cake by comparison.

My instructor and I would do the sim in the morning learning a new topic(holding, VOR approach, ILS approach, NDB approach, etc) then went out and did it in the actual airplane that same day after lunch. Seemed to work out well and cut down on the teaching in the airplane.

Look into American Flyers. Their IR course comes with Sim training you can download for FSX. I've found it useful. Of course you can't log it but it can be very helpful especially if you take a break from instruction for a few months...

Look into American Flyers. Their IR course comes with Sim training you can download for FSX. I've found it useful. Of course you can't log it but it can be very helpful especially if you take a break from instruction for a few months...

Good idea! Thank you

I used it for procedures and holding patterns. I could not visualize holding patterns in the airplane so my CFI suggested the Redbird that way we could pause, reset, and talk about the procedures. It made a world of difference. It's pretty hard to reset and pause in the airplane. Plus we could bang out a lot more approaches inside the sim,

Absolutely for holding patterns and procedures, tracking VOR radials, etc...

I would say that because it's not all that realistic, things like flying the ILS are better left to the real airplane. The "visual" part of it is great on the sim... getting your orientation, figuring out why the needle is going the direction it's going, using the available instruments in the cockpit to determine your position such as DME/VOR... how and where to spin the OBS or HSI... but it doesn't feel right compared to the real thing. But working on things in the sim will help your brain get accustomed to the tasks needed when you get into the real airplane.

As well, a home sim doesn't hurt... I used a basic sim at home and it really helped... and it was free:)

Sim is great for learning key concepts since it's cheaper and easy for an instructor to reset and have another go. If you blow a holding pattern entry in the sim you can pause, review what happened and quickly redo it.

On the downside I find the sims a lot harder to fly that the actual airplane. The full motion ones used by the airlines are amazing. The typical GA ones not so much.

Back