IFR Non-Towered Airport Departure Question

But the truth is there's no guarantee that you can reach the published departure control frequency from the ground.
...and unless you are very close in line of sight of one of the antennas (and we typically don't know where they are), it's not likely. Of course, don't forget to check the Chart Supplement - there just might be a direct CD frequency, like at this nontowered airport:

upload_2018-2-18_9-38-41.png

One habit I've gotten into when speaking with the last approach controller nearing my nontowered destination, is to ask if there is a good phone number to call them directly for a departure clearance (it's the reason I have a Bluetooth headset!). Another good question would be, "Can I reach you on the radio from the ground?"

I disagree V. We had an a remote at an non towered airport and it never was a problem. Biggest problem was IFR arrivals to the non towered airports we served that didn't cancel IFR. Then we had to hunt them down so we could clear another IFR for the approach. Now that sometimes took a bit of time.

At Destin we had the same deal, plus even VFRs there had to call us due to the airspace there. Destin though was worked by CD position, whereas the one above was an approach frequency.

Well sure, if you weren’t busy it’s not. It’s no different than a pop up looking to pick up an IFR and Approach can’t issue it yet. Even worse actually because you’ve got “when entering controlled airspace...” a void time, what to do if not by that void time, and a time check. Plenty of approach facilities delay issuing airborne clearances either due to separation or frequency congestion issues.

I had many occasions where I was talking to aircraft almost non stop for 30 minutes at a time. No way I would have time to issue some ground clearance out of a non towered field over an approach freq. Now, the majority of time, yes, it could be done.

Well sure, if you weren’t busy it’s not. It’s no different than a pop up looking to pick up an IFR and Approach can’t issue it yet. Even worse actually because you’ve got “when entering controlled airspace...” a void time, what to do if not by that void time, and a time check. Plenty of approach facilities delay issuing airborne clearances either due to separation or frequency congestion issues.

I had many occasions where I was talking to aircraft almost non stop for 30 minutes at a time. No way I would have time to issue some ground clearance out of a non towered field over an approach freq. Now, the majority of time, yes, it could be done.

Well, everywhere I was stationed were very busy facilities and we had no problems issuing clearances. Now if we had to delay a departure for a reason that wasn't a problem either as we always had IFRs "holding for release".

But, we were AIr Force so that's probably why we weren't so overwhelmed like you Army cats. ;);)

Well, everywhere I was stationed were very busy facilities and we had no problems issuing clearances. Now if we had to delay a departure for a reason that wasn't a problem either as we always had IFRs "holding for release".

But, we were AIr Force so that's probably why we weren't so overwhelmed like you Army cats. ;);)

Marines

I should point out that the status of our remote outlet is in flux. Some databases still show that we have one. The ForeFlight data driven aeronautical chart is one of them. But sometime in the past few years, the IFR low chart stopped showing the communications box. The same frequency gets you the same people, but the nearest outlet for it is now 138nm away.

So from my experience, the listing of a departure frequency in the A/FD is not even a hint that it can be reached from the ground, much less a guarantee.

A CD freq in the AFD is obviously the first thing you look for, but they're uncommon (though I was happy they finally replaced to godawful autodialer doohicky with a direct remote ground link to PCT at CJR).

Yep, and I have the numbers for a few approach controls as well (too bad, there's not a formal way those get published). The last time I had to do an IMC departure away from home I just asked the guy in the FBO how you got clearances there and he had the phone number. Asking for a number on the way in works as well.

If all else fails, you can call the 888-766-8267 number and hope your ATC facility isn't one of the obstinate ones who won't boogie with the ATC Clears Jazz.

Back