IFR flight plan @ waypoint

Mxfarm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Marc
How acceptable is it to plan, and pick up your IFR flight plan @ a fix or waypoint rather than the departure airport?

How acceptable is it to plan, and pick up your IFR flight plan @ a fix or waypoint rather than the departure airport?
As @FORANE states, perfectly fine in VMC. At my home port I prefer to pick up in the air as it is untowered, Echo at 700', and only a Charlie that is easy to vector away from until I get clearance.

Yep. As an example, the NOTAM'd procedure for AirVenture if you want to pickup an IFR clearance airborne out of Osh southbound is to file from Dells VOR (DLL), not KOSH, and to call Madison Approach to activate once you're over the VOR. Again the catch is you have to stay VMC from Osh to DLL which is roughly 60nm.

Last edited:
Absolutely acceptable but I have heard controllers (including the guys on Opposing Bases) suggest using an airport rather than some navaid or intersection. KDLL rather than DLL in @tsts4 's example. To them it just looks like a normal in-air pickup.

The key is to stay visual until cleared for the IFR flight plan.

My thinking was it would be better than a pop-up. Your in the system, and they should be expecting you, @ least as much as any other flight plan.

Absolutely acceptable but I have heard controllers (including the guys on Opposing Bases) suggest using an airport rather than some navaid or intersection. KDLL rather than DLL in @tsts4 's example. To them it just looks like a normal in-air pickup.
I know I might not be thinking about this correct - but does opening a your flight plan @ 11.5K' cause a bit of pause, or does the controller automatically :lol: know what your doing?

My thinking was it would be better than a pop-up. Your in the system, and they should be expecting you, @ least as much as any other flight plan.
I guess i‘m trying to understand why if you aren’t going the pop up route what’s the benefit of doing this? Why not just go ahead and file from your origin unless you’re wanting to create a composite flight plan?

I know I might not be thinking about this correct - but does opening a your flight plan @ 11.5K' cause a bit of pause, or does the controller automatically :lol: know what your doing?
Not as much of a pause as some random waypoint the controller might never have heard of.

The conversation is really no different than at 3.5K'.

I guess i‘m trying to understand why if you aren’t going the pop up route what’s the benefit of doing this? Why not just go ahead and file from your origin unless you’re wanting to create a composite flight plan?
There are a few reasons for VFR departures with remote in-flight pickups. Most common one is probably busy airspace. Between release delays and routings that maintain IFR separation requirements, one can find it far more efficient to depart VFR, get out of the busy area and then pick up the clearance. You want to use an airport where you plan to pick it up if for no reason other than the controller having it right there - because it's in their area - and not have to try to find it.

From the pilot side, might as well use an airport so you can look up the frequency to call.

There are a few reasons for VFR departures with remote in-flight pickups. Most common one is probably busy airspace. Between release delays and routings that maintain IFR separation requirements, one can find it far more efficient to depart VFR, get out of the busy area and then pick up the clearance. You want to use an airport where you plan to pick it up if for no reason other than the controller having it right there - because it's in their area - and not have to try to find it.

From the pilot side, might as well use an airport so you can look up the frequency to call.
I guess. I’ve done the in air pickup out uncontrolled fields due to the one in one out rule. This past Osh at our fuel stop I had to depart VFR and pick it up in the air or wait 30 mins to get it on the ground. But it was still my original flight plan—the departure point didn’t change, just my position in relation to it. I don’t see the benefit of refiling just to change the first fix unless you plan to travel a good distance VFR before picking it up and possibly into someone else’s airspace.

unless you plan to travel a good distance VFR before picking it up and possibly into someone else’s airspace.
Exactly. That's when you would use it.

If you look at the approach charts, my home base, KTTA is in RDU TRACON airspace. You can pull up the chart. RDU is 23nm NW. FAY is 37 S. GSO is 50.somehting NW. But if I am heading south, will immediately be in FAY's airspace (despite what the approach plate says, FAY handles the approaches into TTA Runway 3). Head westerly and I will be in GSO's airspace in about 20 NM.

I already know if I head south, I won't be speaking to RDU at all (even if I pick up on the ground) and FAY has my flight plan if I list KTTA when I call them after departure.

I'm not sure about GSO, but if I'm going to depart TTA VFR going toward them because it's the usual busy day at TTA, it's a complete wast of time to call RDU to be handed off to GSO in 2 minutes, so my first call would be GSO. Why not choose an airport that I'm certain will put my flight plan right in front of them?

Different strokes.

Last edited:
As @FORANE states, perfectly fine in VMC. At my home port I prefer to pick up in the air as it is untowered, Echo at 700', and only a Charlie that is easy to vector away from until I get clearance.
Unless the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the charlie tells you to stay out or addresses you without using your callsign, you can enter it as soon as you have established two-way communication with them. You don't have to wait for a clearance.

A situation in which I have found this useful is when departing from a high mountain range in VFR conditions to a destination that is in IFR conditions. Truckee (TRK) to the SFO area is an example. The MEAs in the TRK area are over 11,000 MSL, whereas getting out of there VFR only requires climbing to about 8,000 or so. Also, icing is often more of a problem in the mountains.

Unless the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the charlie tells you to stay out or addresses you without using your callsign, you can enter it as soon as you have established two-way communication with them. You don't have to wait for a clearance.
I was referring to picking up my IFR clearance, not entry into the Charlie.

Agree with the above that in-air pickups work well, and better than a pop-up since you skip a lot of the details on the air. In-air pickup with not allow you to jump the queue if there are delays in effect, such as ground stops. Your in-air pickup could possibly include a nice 60 minute hold or no clearance at all, if they can’t sequence you in.

Your in-air pickup could possibly include a nice 60 minute hold or no clearance at all, if they can’t sequence you in.
I can see that if your trying to get into a B or maybe a C - but not as likely to Smallsville USA<?>.

I guess. I’ve done the in air pickup out uncontrolled fields due to the one in one out rule. This past Osh at our fuel stop I had to depart VFR and pick it up in the air or wait 30 mins to get it on the ground. But it was still my original flight plan—the departure point didn’t change, just my position in relation to it. I don’t see the benefit of refiling just to change the first fix unless you plan to travel a good distance VFR before picking it up and possibly into someone else’s airspace.
YFR and ZFR are not supported in the US. Military can file them with an 1801 email to their Baseops. Until you have obtained your clearance, only a single center will have a copy, so if you fly out of the airspace controlled by the center that handles your departure airport, the controller won't be able to find your flight plan.

Exactly. That's when you would use it.

If you look at the approach charts, my home base, KTTA is in RDU TRACON airspace. You can pull up the chart. RDU is 23nm NW. FAY is 37 S. GSO is 50.somehting NW. But if I am heading south, will immediately be in FAY's airspace (despite what the approach plate says, FAY handles the approaches into TTA Runway 3). Head westerly and I will be in GSO's airspace in about 20 NM.

I already know if I head south, I won't be speaking to RDU at all (even if I pick up on the ground) and FAY has my flight plan if I list KTTA when I call them after departure.

I'm not sure about GSO, but if I'm going to depart TTA VFR going toward them because it's the usual busy day at TTA, it's a complete wast of time to call RDU to be handed off to GSO in 2 minutes, so my first call would be GSO. Why not choose an airport that I'm certain will put my flight plan right in front of them?

Different strokes.

KGSO is in Atlanta Center, KRDU, KTTA, and KFAY are all in Washington center. If you file off of KGSO, you will need to contact Atlanta center to pickup a clearance KGSO to KTTA. KBUY, KSIF, KSCRand KMTV are all a part of Washington center, but Atlanta center has an agreement with Washington center to handle flights from these airports.

It sorta works, but there are considerations with VOR and within 50 NM or so of a charted center boundary. It is better to pick an airport along your route and file your flight plan from the airport with a nearby VOR or waypoint/fix as your pickup point. By filing from an airport, even if you will overfly it, you can contact their approach control and be assured they will have your flight plan on file and you will be able to get your clearance.

I can see that if your trying to get into a B or maybe a C - but not as likely to Smallsville USA<?>.
Aspen airport is the one I read about for the issue of flow control as it applies to GA.

Perfectly acceptable if you can maintain vmc to the waypoint and aren't in class A, B, C or some other restricted airspace.
You can pick it up just fine in class B or C. You just need to be legally operating VFR there before you change to IFR.

KGSO is in Atlanta Center, KRDU, KTTA, and KFAY are all in Washington center. If you file off of KGSO, you will need to contact Atlanta center to pickup a clearance KGSO to KTTA. KBUY, KSIF, KSCRand KMTV are all a part of Washington center, but Atlanta center has an agreement with Washington center to handle flights from these airports.
Why? Out of GSO, call CD. Unless for some reason I want to fly the 50 mile trip to TTA above 10,000 I’ll never talk to Center.

You can pick it up just fine in class B or C. You just need to be legally operating VFR there before you change to IFR.
Yes but it sounds like he wants to take off vfr and not talk to anyone until he requests his clearance airborne.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of your question?

To me, it appears you may be adding to your workload when airborne with the chance you may not get "as filed."

I do this all the time. Back when our field was in ZTL territory, I could raise them on the ground and get an IFR clearance "upon entering controlled airspace." Now we're in the CLT approach airspace and they're harder to deal with. I file for an intersection far enough north to be in ZTL land and pick it up there.

I've also been told by BOS to go file with FSS for pop up clearances and once by GSO. Pretty much I file for where I am going to be in a few minutes and then go back to the ATC frequency and ask them to let me know when they get the strip.

Most of the time though it goes like this when I'm getting VFR advisories:

ME: Looks like it's getting IFR ahead, can I get IFR at 6000?
ZIN: Cleared to Culpeper via direct, climb and maintain 6000.

If I may ask, what is the purpose of your question?

To me, it appears you may be adding to your workload when airborne with the chance you may not get "as filed."
If I'm departing CAVU, but the destination is 1K' ceilings, I want to stay VFR until a point of my choosing. Flying central mid-west.

If I'm departing CAVU, but the destination is 1K' ceilings, I want to stay VFR until a point of my choosing. Flying central mid-west.
I'm curious why. Just a general preference for VFR? There are plenty of places where VFR vs IFR can make a significant difference in routing and other things (in both ways), but KPTS looks like in the heart of "Direct" country where there would be little difference in routing, time of flight, and pilot workload unless heading due north toward the MCI Bravo.

I'm curious why. Just a general preference for VFR? There are plenty of places where VFR vs IFR can make a significant difference in routing and other things (in both ways), but KPTS looks like in the heart of "Direct" country where there would be little difference in routing, time of flight, and pilot workload unless heading due north toward the MCI Bravo.
no certified IFR GPS.

Can you or have you done a "pop-up" clearance? A friend wants to know...:)

Simply pointing out that Washington center won't have or be able to obtain your flight plan due to how flight plans are distributed.

Simply pointing out that Washington center won't have or be able to obtain your flight plan due to how flight plans are distributed.
John, I understand that there will be distribution issues in terms of whether they already have it, but "unable to obtain" doesn't make sense to me.

John, I understand that there will be distribution issues in terms of whether they already have it, but "unable to obtain" doesn't make sense to me.
The distribution of flight plans is archaic in that they are only available to the center which they are originally filed with. Once the clearance is given, further distribution occurs, but if one is contacting ATC to retrieve their flight plan with the intent of obtaining a clearance, it has to be via the center it was filed with. If a tower or TRACON is part of the center distribution, controllers at those facilities are able to retrieve the flight plan via that center and issue a clearance. An example of a situation I worked on was a case when two aircraft with the same company decided to depart VFR and pickup their clearance enroute after departing from an airport that was near a center boundary, one was northbound, the other was southbound. The one going north contacted ATC and was able to obtain their clearance because the controller contacted was part of the same center/TRACON. The pilot going south, contacted the Center which had no record of the flightplan, so ended up air filing and complaining the flight plan was lost. It was never lost, just inaccessible to the center or any TRACON associated with that center.

The FAA has an order 7350.9EE that lists all the US airports the center that is used. IFR flight plans go to only the listed center. That enables filing companies to know which center to transmit the flight plan to. But there is no guidance document on which center is responsible for processing flight plans that have a non-airport point of origination. You might think that the charted center boundaries would be able to be used to figure out where to send these non-airport departure or pickup points, but that does not work, because centers have agreements between each other to handle areas that are within their neighbors charted boundaries. File with the wrong center and the flight plan may get rejected, with a not my job type error message. I got the FAA to publish what is called the Center Surface Boundaries so that flight plans from non-airport points of departure such as VOR, Waypoint, Fix-radial-distance, or Latitude-Longitude would be routed to the correct center that is responsible for handling the filing of flight plans and issuing clearances. All this comes into play when you file with a non-airport pickup point. If the pickup point is in a different center than the departure airport was filed at, controllers are unable to access the flight plan to issue the clearance.

These instructions in the 2024 Sun N Fun fly-in NOTAM are explaining how to do a VFR departure with an IFR pickup because of the inability for controllers in one center to not be able to retrieve proposed flight plans from the adjacent center. You can see what they are doing if you plot the center surface boundaries.

Destinations to the Northeast and East coast through Orlando Approach: Orlando Approach is unable to retrieve flight plan information or activate IFR clearances for aircraft requesting an IFR pick up that file off the Lakeland area airports. Aircraft departing VFR from the LAL area destined to the east coast or northeast must file a flight plan showing CAMBE intersection or X61 (Bob White Airport) as their departure point in order to receive airborne IFR clearance. Enter AIRFILE or IFR PICK UP in the remarks section of the flight plan. MONITOR first then contact Orlando Approach at or below 4,500 feet on 119.4. Remain clear of Orlando Class B airspace. Destinations to the North or Northwest through Jacksonville Approach: Jacksonville Approach is unable to retrieve flight plan information or activate IFR clearances for aircraft requesting an IFR pick up that file off the Lakeland area airports. Aircraft departing VFR from the LAL area destined to the north or northwest must file a flight plan showing either CGC (Crystal River Airport) or INF (Inverness Airport) as their departure point in order to receive airborne IFR clearance. Enter AIRFILE or IFR PICK UP in the remarks section of the flight plan. Approximately ten (10) miles south of CGC/INF, MONITOR first then contact Jacksonville Approach at or below 9,500 feet on 120.925.

Destinations to the North or Northwest through Jacksonville Approach: Jacksonville Approach is unable to retrieve flight plan information or activate IFR clearances for aircraft requesting an IFR pick up that file off the Lakeland area airports. Aircraft departing VFR from the LAL area destined to the north or northwest must file a flight plan showing either CGC (Crystal River Airport) or INF (Inverness Airport) as their departure point in order to receive airborne IFR clearance. Enter AIRFILE or IFR PICK UP in the remarks section of the flight plan. Approximately ten (10) miles south of CGC/INF, MONITOR first then contact Jacksonville Approach at or below 9,500 feet on 120.925.

Here is a link to a user content file that depicts the Center Surface Boundaries https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wKdCbZClnhHDn8p_qZpqzCbR43CbVAhV/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
The distribution of flight plans is archaic in that they are only available to the center which they are originally filed with. Once the clearance is given, further distribution occurs, but if one is contacting ATC to retrieve their flight plan with the intent of obtaining a clearance, it has to be via the center it was filed with. If a tower or TRACON is part of the center distribution, controllers at those facilities are able to retrieve the flight plan via that center and issue a clearance.
I guess I'm thick today. I'm not following.

I file a fight plan from Burlington (BUY is in Washington Center) to Winston Salem (INT is in Atlanta Center). Greensboro TRACON is in Atlanta Center. But they are the controlling TRACON for both BUY and INT. According to what you wrote, GSO would not have the flight plan departing from BUY (even though GSO controls approaches/departures there) because of the difference in Centers.

Or, is is just that, due to it's location, GSO TRACON is in the distribution channel for both Washington and Atlanta Centers?

How does all that affect the scenario you originally responded to: Filing out of TTA but not picking up until I'm talking to GSO? You were at least suggesting that wouldn't work because of the Center difference.
1710011602522.png

1710011610608.png

Back