IFR Finally: At 63

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Who says old guys can't do it? A huge round of thanks to my friends on this site who helped me through my ups and downs (literally!).

6 years ago I started flying again after a 40 year break. With a lot of coaching from POA friends, a FlythisSim (with PilotEdge) at home, and my trusty SR22, I passed the written, the oral, and the IFR checkride all on the first try. In the past 6 years, I went from 65 hours to almost 700, all while working more than full time. I say this not to brag, but to show it can be done.

Again, huge thanks...to those who encouraged me when I wanted to quit, taught me how to get a medical with diabetes (thanks, Bruce Chien!), and told me when to file an ASRS when I did something stupid.

I'm no ace pilot. I'm just an average guy who stuck with it, even when it seemed impossible.

Now...I see a Commercial in my future (I'm told it's easier and more fun than IFR).

This site ROCKS!

Last edited:
Congrats old man! I can say that cause I'm older. ;)

Seriously well done!

Congratulations! I'm 58 and working hard on it.

Wonderful, encouraging story. I am 61and plodding along on my IR. You show all of us it’s possible if we just dedicate ourselves to the task.

Well done! This is one of those threads that makes this site a great place to hang out.
Now get out and find some clouds dammit! :D

Nice work. The instrument rating is no small task...hope you get to put it to good use!

very awesome...similar story with me. I got my PPL at 17, flew for a few years through high school and college. Graduated from college and got married. You know how the story goes after that.

35 years later (this past June) I passed a new 3rd class medical and then found a CFI who quickly got me current again (and competent). I remember I was really worried and questioned myself if I would be able to learn how to fly again. My CFI, who was great, encouraged me and said that it was like riding a bike - that it would come back to me quickly. And it really did. I think I "soloed" after about 8 hours of instruction and have several cross countries under my belt.

I have started IR training (took the written test about two weeks ago). I am really enjoying learning Instrument flying and it is true - it will definitely make me a much better pilot.

I bought an airplane and am flying it now on business trips. I was truly amazed how the new technology works in these airplanes. I am almost worried that I am going to forget my pilotage skills that I worked so hard to re-learn. It is just is too easy to use the tablet.

I do think I am so much more mature and professional now in my flying as compared to when I was 17 or 18 years old. I am not really sure if it is a wise thing to let a 17 year old kid take two boys on a 600 mile cross country flight to the beach for spring break (I did that). I am thankful I made it to 54 years old.

I am having the time of my life flying my little airplane (1981 Beech Sundowner). If there are any other old guys like me and Bob who are thinking about getting active again in flying, I say go for it - it really is not a hard process and it really is like riding a bicycle. In fact, if you are just in your 50's or 60's (or older) and have never had a PPL, still I would advise to go for it. It is not that big of a deal.

Congrats!

Never to old to chase the dream. Now go out and get that ticket wet!

Last edited:
Congrats..... I too took a break from flying....a 38 year break. I earned my PPL while in college and later married, had kids, and the priorities changed. At age 61 and with the encouragement of a few flying friends I got the medical and started looking for a CFI and rental plane. There were no local planes and the closest rental plane and CFI were an hour drive. After 8 hours of instruction I made my second solo. Now I own a half interest in a 172 at the local airport and have flown about 50 hours since starting back. I want the instrument rating as well and working on the x-country time requirements now. Good luck. You have much to be proud of.

That is simply just great! Congratulations!

Congratulations. Just gets to prove that age does not matter, competence does.
Good job. Now go bust a white fluff somewhere.

See ya in the clouds!
Oh wait, I guess not. :D

Congrats. A thread like this makes we want to go get my IFR currency back after 15 years at age 60.

Congrats on the new instrument rating!!! I am also 63 and working on mine too. I have been flying since the early 80's and wanted to get my IR but life just hasn't afforded the opportunity until now. I enjoy the instrument lessons but I have to admit I'm a bit frustrated right now trying to get lessons scheduled. My CFII is also a real estate agent and we have to work around his other work schedule. This past Saturday we had scheduled a cross country flight down to St Simons for lunch with the intent on lessons going and coming. Friday night I get a text from John saying he has to cancel in order to show a property. I called up a friend and we went ahead and flew down to St Simons for lunch and on down to Amelia Island after lunch, then back home. I put four fun enjoyable hours in the log book Saturday that sure would have been nice to have for instrument training. Hopefully the scheduling issues will improve after the holidays. Again, congrats on the IR accomplishment. I hope 2018 will see my IR too.

Congrats! You just took your flying skills to the next level and opened up more flying opportunities. Nothing like punching through clouds and breaking out lined up for the runway. Just always remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should, when it comes to weather.

Who says old guys can't do it?
*Stupid young people and chicken old farts.

My wife got her IFR rating earlier this year at 61. It probably took a little longer than it would have 30 years ago, but she did it.

*(NO, I'm not calling all young people stupid).

Congratulations Bob. Also, it is really good to see several "mature" people here who are getting back into flying!

63?! - who you calling old? Pishhh

Wow...does sound similar to my story. Congrats and keep going. The IFR sometimes seems impossible, even to younger folks. But just keep at it!

very awesome...similar story with me. I got my PPL at 17, flew for a few years through high school and college. Graduated from college and got married. You know how the story goes after that.

35 years later (this past June) I passed a new 3rd class medical and then found a CFI who quickly got me current again (and competent). I remember I was really worried and questioned myself if I would be able to learn how to fly again. My CFI, who was great, encouraged me and said that it was like riding a bike - that it would come back to me quickly. And it really did. I think I "soloed" after about 8 hours of instruction and have several cross countries under my belt.

I have started IR training (took the written test about two weeks ago). I am really enjoying learning Instrument flying and it is true - it will definitely make me a much better pilot.

I bought an airplane and am flying it now on business trips. I was truly amazed how the new technology works in these airplanes. I am almost worried that I am going to forget my pilotage skills that I worked so hard to re-learn. It is just is too easy to use the tablet.

I do think I am so much more mature and professional now in my flying as compared to when I was 17 or 18 years old. I am not really sure if it is a wise thing to let a 17 year old kid take two boys on a 600 mile cross country flight to the beach for spring break (I did that). I am thankful I made it to 54 years old.

I am having the time of my life flying my little airplane (1981 Beech Sundowner). If there are any other old guys like me and Bob who are thinking about getting active again in flying, I say go for it - it really is not a hard process and it really is like riding a bicycle. In fact, if you are just in your 50's or 60's (or older) and have never had a PPL, still I would advise to go for it. It is not that big of a deal.

We'll be thinking about you this next year. Good luck! If you don't make it in 2018, there's always 2019, and....

Congrats on the new instrument rating!!! I am also 63 and working on mine too. I have been flying since the early 80's and wanted to get my IR but life just hasn't afforded the opportunity until now. I enjoy the instrument lessons but I have to admit I'm a bit frustrated right now trying to get lessons scheduled. My CFII is also a real estate agent and we have to work around his other work schedule. This past Saturday we had scheduled a cross country flight down to St Simons for lunch with the intent on lessons going and coming. Friday night I get a text from John saying he has to cancel in order to show a property. I called up a friend and we went ahead and flew down to St Simons for lunch and on down to Amelia Island after lunch, then back home. I put four fun enjoyable hours in the log book Saturday that sure would have been nice to have for instrument training. Hopefully the scheduling issues will improve after the holidays. Again, congrats on the IR accomplishment. I hope 2018 will see my IR too.

Back