IFR departure with weather in front of you

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Air mass TS 5-10 miles from departure end of the runway. Is there an accepted way to get ATC to expedite you turning on course, Preferably before takeoff?

Air mass TS 5-10 miles from departure end of the runway. Is there an accepted way to get ATC to expedite you turning on course, Preferably before takeoff?
Tell them you are not going to fly through it. They'll either give you something around it or not release you

Usually, I am at a controlled field. Do I tell tower to tell Departure?

Don't accept a clearance you are not willing to fly. Tell the tower you need a different heading after takeoff. They should be able to work something out with approach. If they say unable, that means approach told them no.

Do u have terrain to deal with? If not I’d let tower know what you’re looking for.

Do u have terrain to deal with? If not I’d let tower know what you’re looking for.
No terrain. Just a question that popped into my pea brain the other day. Saw a jet depart the other day and it almost immediately turned to avoid the TS. Never had the issue, yet. Just preparing for the eventuality.

BTDT many times. Just spit it out. Tell them what you need to do and if that won't work for them you'll have to delay your takeoff. It helps to have weather radar. :cool:

What dturri said, I have done it a few times.

The only time this could have happened to me, the tower alerted us.

5 to 10 miles is pretty dang close! Not sure I would take off heading for a TS, 5 or even 10 miles out. I’ve seen some pretty wicked winds ahead of a thunderstorm. I get the jest the question though. Just ask, like everyone else said.

Don't accept a clearance you are not willing to fly. Tell the tower you need a different heading after takeoff. They should be able to work something out with approach. If they say unable, that means approach told them no.
There was a heavy Aer Lingus A330 departure from New York that got into a bind over this.. ATC couldn't figure out why they accepted the clearance if they couldn't actually fly it..

As others said, just ask them. We tend to overthink these things as though there is some special code. There isn't.

A few years ago I was at Myrtle Beach for the day. Departing IFR, I picked up my clearance. When I read it back, I added, "will you be able to vector me around those storms to the north?" "That won't be a problem," was the reply.

Contacting Departure after takeoff, they vectored me west of the storms. Eventually I got an amendment to my clearance, inserting direct to a fix which would keep me away before proceeding on course.

One could be even more proactive than I was though. Look at the chart, find a fix that works, and ask for it. I'd still ask for it with CD even though they might defer until I was in the air.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back