If you won the lottery, what airplane would you buy?

$425 million? Hmmm. Prob an Eclipse. Pretty simple airplane to operate. Its new. The bugs are worked out - but I'd still keep the Comanche though - and then also something like a Decathlon . . .. doors off low and slow over the beaches in summer - just above the inversion where its warm - and for some Acro. And keep the skills up. I can imagine that flying any jet the skills atrophy quickly since all you do is systems management. . .

Speaking of pizzing it all away . . . .

My law partner [people used to know what 'partner' meant, but now its all screwed up] is a high end estate planner - and his network includes lots of accountants. The bread and butter is estate and exit planning. But he occasionally gets the lottery winner.

We've had numerous 1-5mil winners and most of them stay pretty normal - they pay off their debts and invest whats left for retirement and live fairly comfortable - at least most of them.

It's the $15mil and up ones who are the most trouble. We have reached the point after 15 years in the practice area where we bring in old and broke lottery winners for counseling session with the new ones. Because the track record is not good - one guy stands out - won $85 million the late 90's - and was bankrupt by 2003. Took a $46mil lump sum option and literally did not invest in anything that ever paid him a dime. It is truly sad when that happens But he is the poster child and his stories are legend.

We use him as the LAST lottery winner - we bring in the smart ones first - and they explain how they got debt free, took care of family set up trusts for kids and grand kids and close friends that want to care for if needed. Then Charlie comes out and explains the dark side.

The rule we give people is take 10% of the gross winnings - not to exceed $10million - so if you win $85mil, and get $50mil lump sum, its $5million. And that is yours- play money. Buy what you want, trips, cars whatever - the balance - which ends up being about $30million, goes directly into a trust. Essentially all of it after tax - out of your hands. We set it up so the income gets paid out in most cases, which ends up being more than most can spend reasonably, so that there is a significant charitable contribution every single year. We encourage that at least 25% of the income thrown off go to charity. You'd be amazed at what charities are willing to do for big donors - the bling is embarrassing at times.

The goal is to prevent ever 2 bit con artist and conniving family member from sucking the person dry. You also establish at 3 person voting scheme for non-publicly traded investments so that the inventor with sure thing has to actually prove it.

We had one family set up half of their winnings into a trust which invests venture capital in Christian invenmtors with good ideas - also a micro loan operation for small business to expand - these all generated significant returns if not a lot of work.

Overall - the smaller winners tended to be the most successful with their winnings - and the folks who won HUGE were in the most trouble emotionally in the ensuing years. . .

That's what happens when you're living in a culture where money is the primary measurement of everything. (Listen to your own comments when talking - you 'value' your friendships, what is something 'worth,' etc - it's insidious) People are brainwashed to believe money is the solution for all their problems. In reality money, regardless of the quantity, is just a tool like a wrench or a flashlight or flaps or toilet paper. The real solution to your mental happiness is who you are regardless of the money situation - if that's effed up, money won't fix it. A large pile of money simply removes other people from being able to control your life in a money based culture.

"Money ain't got no owners, only spenders."

-Omar Little

Unless you're usually carrying a cabin-full of people as well as full fuel a 350 won't do anything that you can do in a B-200, and both planes will arrive within 10 minutes. BTDT numerous times in both. Nor do B-200 pilots require type ratings and the woodwork is full of B-200 pilots when you need a spare.

Same as OP, King Air 350.

Thinking this through - I don't think I'd buy crazy airplanes, at least not right now. Initially, probably a M201J and see how that goes.

All I want an airplane right now for is to get from point A to point B in a way that doesn'y involve getting legally married to a TSA goon. A Mooney would satisfy that just fine and isn't a crazy price. Maybe in the future it takes something with two engines or jets, but for now the Mooney is plenty fast enough.

But otherwise, would things change? Absolutely, there's no way to do it otherwise...

Everyone that says they wouldn't buy a jet has never flown their own jet.:rolleyes2: The only thing better than pushing up the power levers in a jet, is knowing it's your jet! :D Yes, it is an ego trip, but if you can afford it why not?:dunno: when I thought I could afford it, I had one. :D Glad I don't now. :yes: Turbo props are great are very useful, but as a guy at the airport told me on time when he was looking at trading his King Air for a Citation, "It sounds better at a cocktail party to tell people you fly a jet." :D
Since we are spending imaginary money, I would probably buy a CJ2+ or some other single pilot jet in addition to Charlene and the 182. :D

King Air 200 for travel.
Husky for fun - Tundra tires, floats, and skis.
Extra for adrenaline.

And while I was flying those, I'd contemplate my next few. :)

I've also thought that if I were to win the lottery and buy all these airplanes, that I'd like to do several Angel Flights (or other charitable flights) each week - That'd be my new "work". Flying is fun on its own, but sharing the joy and utility with others and helping them is much more satisfying.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

My law partner [people used to know what 'partner' meant, but now its all screwed up] is a high end estate planner - and his network includes lots of accountants. The bread and butter is estate and exit planning. But he occasionally gets the lottery winner.

We've had numerous 1-5mil winners and most of them stay pretty normal - they pay off their debts and invest whats left for retirement and live fairly comfortable - at least most of them.

It's the $15mil and up ones who are the most trouble. We have reached the point after 15 years in the practice area where we bring in old and broke lottery winners for counseling session with the new ones. Because the track record is not good - one guy stands out - won $85 million the late 90's - and was bankrupt by 2003. Took a $46mil lump sum option and literally did not invest in anything that ever paid him a dime. It is truly sad when that happens But he is the poster child and his stories are legend.

We use him as the LAST lottery winner - we bring in the smart ones first - and they explain how they got debt free, took care of family set up trusts for kids and grand kids and close friends that want to care for if needed. Then Charlie comes out and explains the dark side.

The rule we give people is take 10% of the gross winnings - not to exceed $10million - so if you win $85mil, and get $50mil lump sum, its $5million. And that is yours- play money. Buy what you want, trips, cars whatever - the balance - which ends up being about $30million, goes directly into a trust. Essentially all of it after tax - out of your hands. We set it up so the income gets paid out in most cases, which ends up being more than most can spend reasonably, so that there is a significant charitable contribution every single year. We encourage that at least 25% of the income thrown off go to charity. You'd be amazed at what charities are willing to do for big donors - the bling is embarrassing at times.

The goal is to prevent ever 2 bit con artist and conniving family member from sucking the person dry. You also establish at 3 person voting scheme for non-publicly traded investments so that the inventor with sure thing has to actually prove it.

We had one family set up half of their winnings into a trust which invests venture capital in Christian invenmtors with good ideas - also a micro loan operation for small business to expand - these all generated significant returns if not a lot of work.

Overall - the smaller winners tended to be the most successful with their winnings - and the folks who won HUGE were in the most trouble emotionally in the ensuing years. . .

I've also thought that if I were to win the lottery and buy all these airplanes, that I'd like to do several Angel Flights (or other charitable flights) each week - That'd be my new "work". Flying is fun on its own, but sharing the joy and utility with others and helping them is much more satisfying.
Last year at recurrent I was sitting in the break room chatting with some other pilots, one who had just finished Citation X initial. He said he had just bought a brand new airplane. When someone asked what business he was in he said that he was going to use it to fly charity flights. This seemed somewhat unbelievable but I looked him up and it was true!

http://texasjacobsonaviation.com/?page_id=7

Last year at recurrent I was sitting in the break room chatting with some other pilots, one who had just finished Citation X initial. He said he had just bought a brand new airplane. When someone asked what business he was in he said that he was going to use it to fly charity flights. This seemed somewhat unbelievable but I looked him up and it was true!

~~~ I looked at that web site and realized I know Grant and flew with him once in the first plane, the king air on a grace flight to midland and back. I think I even met Gloria, one of the patients mentioned on the site. I was at KGTU working on my CFI and the woman I was working with was flying with him when the king air was new.
Wow, he's doing really with it.

Geez, what's so unbelieveable about that concept? :(

Either the Eclipse, Cessna Mustang or Phenom 100-300. Traveling with my family would be the ultimate goal.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

I agree...

For me, it reinforces the idea that people have nearly unlimited desires. You cannot fulfill unlimited desires with limited means, even when the means are very, very large. The only hope is to have the discipline to limit the desires.

It's a lesson we'd all be better off learning...

Last edited:
Because we're supposed to let the gov't take care of these needs!:D

Oops...off to SZ....

My point is that's what I did, just with a plane that costs substantially less.

Geez, what's so unbelieveable about that concept? :(
People will tell you all kinds of stories which are occasionally large exaggerations. What would you think if out of the blue someone said that they had bought a brand new $20 million airplane to fly charity flights? Maybe I'm more suspicious.

People will tell you all kinds of stories which are occasionally large exaggerations. What would you think if out of the blue someone said that they had bought a brand new $20 million airplane to fly charity flights? Maybe I'm more suspicious.

I guess since I'm one of those people who'd do such a thing, I'd think his bank account is much larger than mine.

But I'm also guessing that, like me, he uses the plane for personal reasons, too. Of course, the first time I did this year was last weekend...

I guess since I'm one of those people who'd do such a thing, I'd think his bank account is much larger than mine.

But I'm also guessing that, like me, he uses the plane for personal reasons, too. Of course, the first time I did this year was last weekend...
All I can say is that I've been exposed to quite a few people who are not what they appear to be...

And not just here. :D

If I hit that Powerball lottery I'll give you guys a call. I like your approach. Quite similar to the discussions my wife and I have had.

~~~ I looked at that web site and realized I know Grant and flew with him once in the first plane, the king air on a grace flight to midland and back. I think I even met Gloria, one of the patients mentioned on the site. I was at KGTU working on my CFI and the woman I was working with was flying with him when the king air was new.
Wow, he's doing really with it.
That's cool. He seemed like a nice guy and very, very, enthusiastic.

I agree...

For me, it reinforces the idea that people have nearly unlimited desires. You cannot fulfill unlimited desires with limited means, even when the means are very, very large. The only hope is to have the discipline to limit the desires.

It's a lesson we'd all be better off learning...

Brian, the better take away is feeling absolutely blessed with what you have . . . . both materially and spiritually.

Its ok to want more- its a basic human emotion. Its what drives the economy, at least until the taxes become confiscatory. . .

He must not have been doing it as long as I have. ;)
According to his site he's been doing it since August 2010 when he got the King Air. He's really advanced through the airplanes quickly!

According to his site he's been doing it since August 2010 when he got the King Air. He's really advanced through the airplanes quickly!

Yep, about 1.5 years less than me. ;)

Only one?

This would be a good starter - local fun with the motor off, and decent cross country capability (lacking in my current ride).
320px-Stemme_%281233100789%29.jpg

Plus some kind of amphib... Why drive to the yacht club?
2.jpg

The Sea Ray pic looks like the Sebring show, a couple of years ago, before it started to shrink.
The glider might be at Sun-n-Fun, over at Paradise?? My first thought was Wallaby but the hanger looks out of place.

Surprised how many people picked the C208B,

I think they are a great flying plane (heck I fly one), but they have always seemed like work to me, fun work, but work.

I wonder how many of the folks who choose one have actually flown one or understand its operational capacity and limitations.

The glider might be at Sun-n-Fun, over at Paradise?? My first thought was Wallaby but the hanger looks out of place.
Given the German registration number, I suspect the picture of the Stemme is from somewhere closer to where it was built - but I could be wrong.

I wonder how many of the folks who choose one have actually flown one or understand its operational capacity and limitations.

I wanna fly my family and lotsa stuff and I don't want them to be cramped. I wanna see the country when I go places so Caravan speeds and altitudes suit me fine. What are the operational capacity and limitations that should concern me?

Probably not. I think many folks would find it surprisingly slow, and are probably expecting 200 knots and pressurization.

I wanna fly my family and lotsa stuff and I don't want them to be cramped. I wanna see the country when I go places so Caravan speeds and altitudes suit me fine. What are the operational capacity and limitations that should concern me?

If you have all the money then feeding a turbine at 8000 feet isn't so bad. You can't go much higher than that w/o oxygen for your family which spoils the comfort thing. You don't have a lot of range burning all that fuel either.

They are big and comfortable though, and probably more fun to fly than something like a king air.

If it were me i'd buy a pressurized turboprop for the trips, then keep a few fun piston planes around for myself.

Last edited:
If you want efficiency and ease in travel you go high and fast. If you want to actually see the countryside you go low and slow. It all depends on your goals.

Where's the fun? Unless they're on floats? Otherwise it's just a freighter.

If you have all the money then feeding a turbine at 8000 feet isn't so bad. You can't go much higher than that w/o oxygen for your family which spoils the comfort thing. You don't have a lot of range burning all that fuel either.

They are big and comfortable though, and probably more fun to fly than something like a king air.

If it were me i'd buy a pressurized turboprop for the trips, then keep a few fun piston planes around for myself.

How about buying a surplus military C 130 and retrofitting it as a luxury flying RV, complete with a garage for your Hummer and your motorcycles?

Where's the fun? Unless they're on floats? Otherwise it's just a freighter.

Exactly. Although Cessna has printed ads for them with a leather interior and a bunch of happy people who clearly said "Of course! Why would we ever want a King Air when we could spend almost as much for a plane that burns the same fuel while going slower, flying lower, unpressurized, etc.?" I think most people realize that's not a real sellable idea, as evidenced by the fact that I've only seen one Caravan used as a VIP transport (I think owned by Textron, who makes them), but I've seen lots of King Airs, jets, etc.

Back