If you won the lottery, what airplane would you buy?

If you have all the money then feeding a turbine at 8000 feet isn't so bad. You can't go much higher than that w/o oxygen for your family which spoils the comfort thing. You don't have a lot of range burning all that fuel either.

As I said, I wanna see the country, so higher isn't much of an issue. The tummies and bladders of those aboard would limit leg lengths to about four hours anyway, it's got plenty of range for me.

As I said, I wanna see the country, so higher isn't much of an issue. The tummies and bladders of those aboard would limit leg lengths to about four hours anyway, it's got plenty of range for me.

Endurance and range are different. It won't go as far in those four hours as other options that people look at.

How about buying a surplus military C 130 and retrofitting it as a luxury flying RV, complete with a garage for your Hummer and your motorcycles?

I've always thought that a turbine DC-3 retrofitted as a nice bedroom would work - except for the deck angle.

So you'd need to find a tricycle gear freighter . . .

and more on my point about lottery winners and happiness

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/28/15463411-can-500-million-make-you-happy-not-really?lite

A Cirrus and an EC-130 would be just fine.

But with PB at $500M I think I'd have some fun with some of the extra $. Maybe throw the FBOs within a few miles of here a few dollars to keep their 150s and Pipers maintained, pay their CFIs, and cover the aircraft fees for flight training for anyone and everyone. There's not a helicopter school within 100 miles of here so we'd remedy that with an R22 and an R44.

Now, what to do with the remaining $498,000,000...that my wife wouldn't object to.

If you won the lottery your misery would be just beginning.

Do some research on the outcomes of the winners of large amounts of money. It is an eye opener. Money does not buy happiness - but it sure buys divorces, lawsuits, alcoholism, drug dependence, and suicides..

Now, were the tooth fairy to drop some spare cash on me, most likely I would send Fat Albert the Apache out for a complete going over and freshening up and in the meantime I would buy a used Scout for fun flying. Meanwhile, I would continue to drive my 2001 Saturn, wear carpenters blue jeans, and claim that the lottery winner was some guy with the same name.
I happen to like my life the way it is.

I've often wondered - can you remain anonymous and collect a lotto prize? I see nothing on the back of the ticket that says that I give up my right to privacy, or that they retain the rights to print my likeness somewhere.

I've often wondered - can you remain anonymous and collect a lotto prize? I see nothing on the back of the ticket that says that I give up my right to privacy, or that they retain the rights to print my likeness somewhere.

Depends on what state you are in.

After winning the lottery I would purchase the Commander factory and move it to KTIX.
There I would create a new R&D department to develop an updated model that I would call the Commander 115X followed by the 116T.

As for living arrangements I would purchase some property at Mountain Air
in the mountains of North Carolina and my very own private island in the Bahamas known as Little Hog Cay.

My airplanes will consist of several different types for the different mission requirements.
Cessna Grand Caravan on floats - To fly the family to our new island home.
King Air 350 - To fly the family to Aspen and Telluride.
Commander 115 - Until I design and develop a newer model.

5493729551_c10284e288_n_d.jpg

Did I mention that a small boat to keep my Cessna on would be nice?
56634_1100896196.jpg

One of the issues with owning and flying a bunch of different planes is keeping proficient in them. When you're flying a 172, a Cherokee, and a Diamond, it's not too hard.

When you're talking about things that have broader ranges in capability, it gets harder. Maybe I'm just a wimpy pilot, but I hated having 7 different planes I flew in a week, especially since about the only thing they had in common was having two engines and retractable gear.

While the thought of having a whole fleet of planes for every day of the week sounds great, one must also fly a great deal to remain proficient. At 500 hours a year it was doable, but I found it a bit annoying. I'd feel off my game some days. Like why is this Aztec only makng 30" of manifold pressure instead of 45" (like the Navajo), or why can't I get the Navajo started by going to 10% N1 and flip forward the condition lever.

One of the issues with owning and flying a bunch of different planes is keeping proficient in them. When you're flying a 172, a Cherokee, and a Diamond, it's not too hard.

When you're talking about things that have broader ranges in capability, it gets harder. Maybe I'm just a wimpy pilot, but I hated having 7 different planes I flew in a week, especially since about the only thing they had in common was having two engines and retractable gear.

While the thought of having a whole fleet of planes for every day of the week sounds great, one must also fly a great deal to remain proficient.

I think it would actually help for things to be different in terms of flying characteristics. It's probably easier to stay proficient in a J-3 and a Lear, for example, than it would be to stay proficient in a Cheyenne and a 441. The similarities could serve to confuse things inside your brain.

However, you have a good point. It wouldn't be a good idea to have *too many* airplanes. Realistically, sometimes you'd be better off just riding in the back or having another qualified pilot/instructor up front. Differences in avionics can be almost as bad as differences in airplanes, too. If my lottery list was going to have both a small jet and a 182, for example, I'd pick a jet that had a G1000 instead of having to learn an entirely different system. Then, while V-speeds may be different, for example, they're all still marked in the same place and in the same way on the screen.

I do know I'd continue to retain my current flight instructor and get him trained on my planes, simply because he'll give me a workout every single time we fly and keep me from getting complacent.

If you had a J-3 and a Lear, by all means that makes more sense and the two are far enough apart. I'm looking more at the folks saying something like King Air/Caravan/helicopter/182/etc.. Even flying 500+ hours a year, they're all different enough flying wise for there to be mental contamination.

Ted is absolutely right. Dang...I'd have to fly more if I won the lottery.

If you had a J-3 and a Lear, by all means that makes more sense and the two are far enough apart. I'm looking more at the folks saying something like King Air/Caravan/helicopter/182/etc.. Even flying 500+ hours a year, they're all different enough flying wise for there to be mental contamination.

Yup - And that's why I probably wouldn't actually buy a G-V or the like even if I had the money. I'd go with a smaller single-pilot jet that allowed me to fly whenever I wanted and get into smaller fields, which would allow me to fly it a lot more and stay proficient. For those times that I want to go somewhere outside the range of my baby jet, I'd simply charter an airplane capable of the trip, and enjoy the ride in the back.

Okay, maybe I'd find something with a jumpseat I could ride on during takeoff and landing. :)

Exactly. Although Cessna has printed ads for them with a leather interior and a bunch of happy people who clearly said "Of course! Why would we ever want a King Air when we could spend almost as much for a plane that burns the same fuel while going slower, flying lower, unpressurized, etc.?" I think most people realize that's not a real sellable idea, as evidenced by the fact that I've only seen one Caravan used as a VIP transport (I think owned by Textron, who makes them), but I've seen lots of King Airs, jets, etc.
Our local FBO had one on charter for a while, it seemed to fly fairly regularly. I don't know what happened, but the owner sold it. I suspect the FBO was making money and he was losing money, but that's just a guess. It was really nice inside, but for the cost, you could buy a pretty nice used KA 200 and have two motors, pressurization and 50% more speed. :D

Our local FBO had one on charter for a while, it seemed to fly fairly regularly. I don't know what happened, but the owner sold it. I suspect the FBO was making money and he was losing money, but that's just a guess. It was really nice inside, but for the cost, you could buy a pretty nice used KA 200 and have two motors, pressurization and 50% more speed. :D

Seems that's what everyone else who considered buying one thought, too. ;)

Last I heard, the CEO of Textron had a decked out Caravan. The guy's a low-time pilot, who started off buying a T206, and then bought the Caravan because the only other upgrade he could make while staying within the current Cessna lineup was to a jet (not happening). Of course, he gets carted around in a Citation X all the time.

I wanna fly my family and lotsa stuff and I don't want them to be cramped. I wanna see the country when I go places so Caravan speeds and altitudes suit me fine. What are the operational capacity and limitations that should concern me?

Operating turbine at non O2 altitudes is not efficient. Turbine insurance is typically a large chunk of change. Turbines put a lot of Ag operators under.

Same discussion often transpires during buyer rep assignments, except it's Pilatus PC-12 vs King Air B-200. The planes have identical cabin dimensions.

After winning the lottery I would purchase the Commander factory and move it to KTIX.
There I would create a new R&D department to develop an updated model that I would call the Commander 115X followed by the 116T.

As for living arrangements I would purchase some property at Mountain Air
in the mountains of North Carolina and my very own private island in the Bahamas known as Little Hog Cay.

My airplanes will consist of several different types for the different mission requirements.
Cessna Grand Caravan on floats - To fly the family to our new island home.
King Air 350 - To fly the family to Aspen and Telluride.
Commander 115 - Until I design and develop a newer model.

5493729551_c10284e288_n_d.jpg

Did I mention that a small boat to keep my Cessna on would be nice?
56634_1100896196.jpg

They asked me about putting the T'wotter on amphibs on the back of the boat. I laughed and told him 3-4 million, but it would fix a couple other problems as well as give us a submersible cockpit.

Now isn't the Lottery just a tax on those that cannot do Math?

You have a significantly higher chance of being killed by a vending machine or by a stray coconut.

King Air C90, a Baron G58 or Seneca V and an SR22 or TTX. And maybe a new 172 just for the hell of it :yes:

Now isn't the Lottery just a tax on those that cannot do Math?

You have a significantly higher chance of being killed by a vending machine or by a stray coconut.

Story on the news tonight said something to the effect that the average person spends $55.00 per month on lottery tickets!:yikes: I didn't catch the whole story, but the $55.00 per month caught my attention, since I average less than a dollar per month, someone is spending over $100.00 to make the average.:dunno: The story said the people that play the most are the ones that can least afford it, not exactly high quality investigative journalism, but interesting.:D

Same discussion often transpires during buyer rep assignments, except it's Pilatus PC-12 vs King Air B-200. The planes have identical cabin dimensions.

For the owner pilot I see the appeal of the PC-12, but for the owner that rides in the back, I'd think the B-200 would get the nod.;)

For the owner pilot I see the appeal of the PC-12, but for the owner that rides in the back, I'd think the B-200 would get the nod.;)

If you don't mind just one engine, the back of the PC-12 is more comfortable.

They are the same size, but the PC-12 seems roomier. The floor is flat as opposed to the raised floor in the King Air.
With the door in front of the wing, the pilot doesn't have to climb over the passengers to get to the cockpit. Plus the 8th pax in the back isn't stuck sitting on the potty.

The guys at the shop call it the working man's 401K.

Story on the news tonight said something to the effect that the average person spends $55.00 per month on lottery tickets!:yikes: I didn't catch the whole story, but the $55.00 per month caught my attention, since I average less than a dollar per month, someone is spending over $100.00 to make the average.:dunno: The story said the people that play the most are the ones that can least afford it, not exactly high quality investigative journalism, but interesting.:D

Sop by sometime and I'll introduce you to the King Air 350 owners who formerly owned a PC-12. Until the fan quit one night at FL260 with a bunch of their wives returning from a tournament of some kind.

If you don't mind just one engine, the back of the PC-12 is more comfortable.

Sop by sometime and I'll introduce you to the King Air 350 owners who formerly owned a PC-12. Until the fan quit one night at FL260 with a bunch of their wives returning from a tournament of some kind.

I fly both the PC-12 and the King Air 200 for a living. I realize I'm "playing the odds" half the time. But if you are only going to have one, the PT6 is the one you want. Combine that with a 60 mile glide radius from FL260 and a 64 knot stall speed, the odds get better.

Probably something like a Saratoga or Bonanza to get a few hundred hours of good IFR time, or maybe straight to a Seneca. After I'm proficient and safe to move up, work up to a Citation, probably a Mustang.

And for fun local flights, an MD-520N. And something aerobatic, maybe an Extra 300L.

You pays your money and you takes your choice Significantly lower purchase price and better performance favor the twin, but added operating costs eliminate some of its advantage.
I fly both the PC-12 and the King Air 200 for a living. I realize I'm "playing the odds" half the time. But if you are only going to have one, the PT6 is the one you want. Combine that with a 60 mile glide radius from FL260 and a 64 knot stall speed, the odds get better.

Endurance and range are different. It won't go as far in those four hours as other options that people look at.

The only way the 208B makes sense is with a TPE331 Garrett.
Still take .5lbs per HP and figure your economics out, 208B is damn near $380hr to operate.

Lotto winnings, go look up my posting about the midgets, I'de get those 7/8th WWI bi planes, mount some paint ball guns and have some friends with my pilot friends!

Well, the numbers are out, and I'm buying my plane! Unfortunately, it's manufactured in China.

By Matchbox!

I'd believe that. There's a lot of lotto players in the scratch-offs and the like, and they usually are people who can't afford it, but hope to strike it rich.

I remember back when I was trucking, I went in the truck stop paying for gas. Some guy throws his scratch-off on the ground, saying "Damn! That was my last $20!"

Really? No wonder I can afford a plane.

I'd agree a PT-6 is as good as they come if you've only got one hanging out front. Of course, that PT-6 is overworked...

I've still yet to find the single engine transport category aircraft. There's a reason for that...

I'm still hoping a POA member comes back to this thread at some point and announces that they actually won something. It won't be me, that's for certain.

Darn it, the Mooney will have to wait...

It was fun thinking about what I would do beside an airplane though....so that was worth the $2. In no particular order, donations would have gone to

Trusts for the neices and nephews, paid off houses for brothers and sisters
Pay back my parents, with interest :)
NCSU business school
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Mount Vernon
Alzheimer research, in honor of my grandmother

Others, but they're escaping me right now.

Honestly, helping others was the part that was most fun to think about...

Last edited:
Back