If you won the lottery, what airplane would you buy?

MultiMediaWill

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Will
I am dreaming about winning the Powerball lottery this week and I was brainstorming what airplane I would buy. I think I would buy the King Air 350. What would you buy?

Honestly I like my current plane.

However if I was going to spend money on a new plane, it would be a turbine thunder mustang.

WalterpoweredThunderMustang_1.jpg

Or maybe a turbine Nemesis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqZOuATiZeU

I'd keep my R182, I'd buy either a Meridian or a TBM for a personal traveler, a NetJets share in a Citation X and an Extra 300 for fun. Maybe a King Air or small Citation, but I still like flying the little planes.

I don't know the exact model number, but the Beechcraft Bonanza that is certified for aerobatics. :yesnod: That would be my starter plane to get more ratings in.

I'd eventually work my way up to a turbine DHC-2 on floats and a TBM-850 for traveling.

I'm not much of a traveler. Of course, winning the lottery would change that. Right now, I'm more of a pattern dweller(or as my buddy calls it, a "circuit freak"). I think I would go the Jay Leno route and collect every GA plane that's ever given me that feeling. Grumman Tiger, Ercoupe, Globe Swift, Mooney Mite, Thorpe T211, Tri Pacer, Aeronca Chief, Douglas DC3, the entire RV line....

I'm not much of a traveler. Of course, winning the lottery would change that. Right now, I'm more of a pattern dweller(or as my buddy calls it, a "circuit freak"). I think I would go the Jay Leno route and collect every GA plane that's ever given me that feeling. Grumman Tiger, Ercoupe, Globe Swift, Mooney Mite, Thorpe T211, Tri Pacer, Aeronca Chief, Douglas DC3, the entire RV line....

Sure, why not? I am a traveller, a long range amphibian one. My number 1 in the stable is a PBY.

Having the better part of 425 mill, I'd consider starting a museum (or buying one) and outfitting it with everything from a Wright Flyer to current aircraft, all in good flying condition. If built right, the museum becomes self sustaining and I can sit back and enjoy the toys in the stable.
Personally, I'd really love a Beech Starship. I might have to make Burt an offer he can't refuse.

If you won the lottery your misery would be just beginning.

Do some research on the outcomes of the winners of large amounts of money. It is an eye opener. Money does not buy happiness - but it sure buys divorces, lawsuits, alcoholism, drug dependence, and suicides..

Now, were the tooth fairy to drop some spare cash on me, most likely I would send Fat Albert the Apache out for a complete going over and freshening up and in the meantime I would buy a used Scout for fun flying. Meanwhile, I would continue to drive my 2001 Saturn, wear carpenters blue jeans, and claim that the lottery winner was some guy with the same name.
I happen to like my life the way it is.

P-51 for weekend fun and an Epic LT for traveling.

I'd keep my R182, I'd buy either a Meridian or a TBM for a personal traveler, a NetJets share in a Citation X and an Extra 300 for fun. Maybe a King Air or small Citation, but I still like flying the little planes.

:yeahthat:

Can't add to perfection. ;)

Same as today: something for which I would have the time and energy to remain proficient.

Hard to say exactly. King Air, Cheyenne, MU-2 all seem like good choices. Something that's reasonable on costs but can also handle short strips, etc.

Might even do a 421, but if I won the lottery I'd be looking for more speed.

i think i would do about the same!

I'd buy the plane I fly, a P-180.

It can hold the whole family. It can go fast enough to cover the country in an easy day and high enough to get over any but the worst weather. The biggest selling point for me is it's single pilot so I wouldn't have to worry about keeping someone on retainer or having to cancel my plans because someone else didn't feel good or whatever.

Just load up the fam and shoot across the country for the weekend.

One drawback is its a bit of a runway hog. Really wants 5,000.

Do some research on the outcomes of the winners of large amounts of money. It is an eye opener. Money does not buy happiness - but it sure buys divorces, lawsuits, alcoholism, drug dependence, and suicides..

I would take on the challenge...

I'd buy a Twin Otter for shorter hops and perhaps a Phenom as a small single pilot jet.

I'll admit that I'd have to start small and work my way up - I'd probably end up in a smoking hole otherwise.

TBM 850 or a Phenom 300 for traveling with my family. I'd trick out my Beech Sierra and keep that too though.

No doubt about it. I'd get a Lockheed L-100 with the executive pod in the front and room for my vehicle in the back. Good speed, trans-oceanic range, great short field capability and I could easily meet the insurance experience requirements. :D

Pilatus PC-12NG with a CFII pilot to ride with me for a couple hundred hours. I'd keep the 170B, and add a Cessna 185 and a Beech B36TC for short hauls. I'd probably sell the Pathfinder. Oh, i'd need a Bell JetRanger too. :) That would cover it all for me.

I'm up for the challenge.

Last edited:
After giving further thought, I'm thinking KA200.

Only one?

This would be a good starter - local fun with the motor off, and decent cross country capability (lacking in my current ride).
320px-Stemme_%281233100789%29.jpg

Plus some kind of amphib... Why drive to the yacht club?
2.jpg

That's what happens when you're living in a culture where money is the primary measurement of everything. (Listen to your own comments when talking - you 'value' your friendships, what is something 'worth,' etc - it's insidious) People are brainwashed to believe money is the solution for all their problems. In reality money, regardless of the quantity, is just a tool like a wrench or a flashlight or flaps or toilet paper. The real solution to your mental happiness is who you are regardless of the money situation - if that's effed up, money won't fix it. A large pile of money simply removes other people from being able to control your life in a money based culture.

How many millions is the powerball now? 400 million? More?
Nothing much would change. People wouldn't really be able to tell the difference. Fix some stuff that needs fixing. No hangar full of glitzy super jets. It would be more like a private piece of land with minimal changes and a bunch of parts to put together something fun and slow to fly. Besides, you get more flying time at 60mph on a coast to coast flight at treetop level than you ever would in those screechy mach .9 jets in low earth orbit.

God help the Barnstormers servers if I win the lotto....

Id probably get a L-39, amphib caravan or twin otter and something aerobatic like an extra 330 or pitts s2c. For longer distance travel i would just charter a learjet or something and probably just airline if going overseas.

300px-Bret_Cox_L-39_-_Reno_Race_-58_.jpg

caravan-1-floats-canaca.jpg

6026.jpg

500px-Learjet.jpg

It depends on how big of a lottery it is. There have been several threads started already on this.

It's hard to say. My interest in flying has shifted more toward purely recreational, and and at present I enjoy flying trikes more than I enjoy flying anything else. So I guess it would depend on where I was at aviation-wise when the money came in.

-Rich

Several friends have jets and turbo-props that I can fly for gas now, but don't. I might fly them a bit more, but probably not. The reason I own the plane I have now is that it's perfect for what I like to do. But I'd probably hire a guy full-time to polish it.

Could a really nice 195 tip the scales? Well, maybe.

You didn't say how much the lottery was -

Anyhow my first choice would be a helicopter not an airplane - Bell 407

Then I would buy an airplane - Beech Staggerwing :D

I'd buy a helicopter too. Seeing as I can already afford to fly airplanes but helos are just too expensive at the moment.

Cessna Mustang. If cash left over, add a Grand Caravan on floats. Then a Bonanza A36 and a Carbon Cub for extra fun. Am I broke yet??

As a low-time sport pilot who has finally had the chance to start building time this year, my wish list is pretty benign. I'd go with a new LSA (probably a CTLS) that I could both fly the snot out of, and also use as a platform to get my full PPL in. From there, who knows?

Do some research on the outcomes of the winners of large amounts of money. It is an eye opener. Money does not buy happiness - but it sure buys divorces, lawsuits, alcoholism, drug dependence, and suicides.

I've often wondered how much of that was due to actually winning the money, versus the typically lower-class backgrounds of people who habitually play the lottery to begin with. (That's not intended as snark, but a serious observation.)

king air c90, embraer phenom, husky, and a ranch with my own runway (inst procedures included), and fuel farm.

Lots of fun plane options such as P-51 but for a more practical lifestyle I think I'd go for a fully decked out Beech 18. The fuel and maintenance would cost more than the airplane pretty quickly.

Call me a fair weather pilot, but I'd have some other much higher priorities than buying another airplane. Specifically, funding at least one start up business I've been dreaming about for years. I would, however, use a portion of the money to build a nice combination hanger and R&D facility at the airport.

Super Decathlon. Or maybe a Husky or a Carbon Cub. BTDT with the turboprops and jets. They might occasionally be handy for travel but not so much so for fun.

Trying to choose an airplane with that cash is like a fat kid trying to decide if he wants cake or ice cream. I would probably get a Carbon Cub and/or Cessna 180 on floats.

Back