If You Were In The 1%, Which Private Jet Would Buy/Fly?

Since to me flying the plane to get somewhere is one of the joys of traveling, I would chose whatever the fastest, highest flying, longest range biz jet that would allow me to get a single pilot waiver on the type rating.

Making $400,000 gets you into the top 1% which isn't going to get close to covering a G550. Butttt, if I made enough to be in the market to buy something of the like I would take a G650 tomorrow.

Making $193,000 puts you in the top 1%
Making $93,000 puts you in the top 5%

per US Census Bureau

Last edited:
I would go directly for a Boeing 757..

article-2064355-0477F97C000005DC-4_634x380.jpg

Because a 777 is nicer. A wide body fuselage has a lot more volume for building out rooms. Pilot skill is measured by the balls on the billiard's table.

Well, the 757, 747, yadadada would all be nice, but in reality GA ramps can't accommodate such airplanes. Some will remote park, but that rules out thousands of smaller airports.
I would say the Citation X, but from a complete utility factor perhaps the Citation Sovereign. It can go east to west with pretty much a full load, and depart a relatively short runway in the summer doing that mission. Truly a versatile machine.
Too bad the Sovereign isn't a single-pilot airplane. I'll also agree about not going any bigger for the reasons that you state.

Since to me flying the plane to get somewhere is one of the joys of traveling, I would chose whatever the fastest, highest flying, longest range biz jet that would allow me to get a single pilot waiver on the type rating.

I believe that is the CJ4 at this time.

Too bad the Sovereign isn't a single-pilot airplane. I'll also agree about not going any bigger for the reasons that you state.

I want as small as I can that I need to haul 4-500lbs and 3500nm of fuel at .88M or better, and I want Hydrogen Peroxide JATO bottles...

I believe that is the CJ4 at this time.

SJ-30 beats it with 2500nm. That gets you across the Pacific safely on a good day, the CJ-4 needs a rare day to make it west bound. 3500nm gets you across most any day.

I want as small as I can that I need to haul 4-500lbs and 3500nm of fuel at .88M or better, and I want Hydrogen Peroxide JATO bottles...

There is a picture of an ercoupe arround here somewhere that matches that description...

SJ-30 beats it with 2500nm. That gets you across the Pacific safely on a good day, the CJ-4 needs a rare day to make it west bound. 3500nm gets you across most any day.

And if something breaks, you just call the local bank of abu dhabi service department to bring out a tech.

No fun??? Ever fly one, such as a Citation X ?

I bet he's never flown a Falcon 7X climbing at 6k Fpm ir cruising at .89 either. Biz av is some of the best flying out there. Dont you want to see the world from FL510?

And if something breaks, you just call the local bank of abu dhabi service department to bring out a tech.

They're not stupid, it will be a simple aircraft with mostly off the shelf already approved components using known engineering specifications; that's how you do this stuff low budget. I wish Morgan Freeman would say something in an interview with an AV Pub. I've hoped to meet him in Cannes and ask how his experience has been but haven't seen him there, and that's the only event like that I regularly end up at.

Last edited:
They're not stupid, it will be a simple aircraft with mostly off the shelf already approved components using known engineering specifications; that's how you do this stuff low budget. I wish Morgan Freeman would say something in an interview with an AV Pub. I've hoped to meet him in Cannes and ask how his experience has been but haven't seen him there, and that's the only event like that I regularly end up at.

I've seen it at CKM. The SJ30 looks sick in person

They just proudly announced their one (1) service center in europe :wink2: . The planes in production now are going to be substantially different from the conforming prototype Morgan Freeman was flying around (until it got bent a during a landing incident last week). A CJ4 is off the shelf supported by any Citation service center. A SJ30 at this point is a one-of.

Last edited:
Being an old Gulfstream guy, I'd have to go with the G650... just because of the smoothness of the wings lower surface and flaps ;) Nothing is as cool looking... but, cabin comfort, speed, and range are there too.

Is there anything that flies at least 250kts, can carry a typical passenger car or light truck onboard in a manner you can just drive in/drive off, and can land at typical small GA airports with runways 5,000' or less without underwear damage?

Is there anything that flies at least 250kts, can carry a typical passenger car or light truck onboard in a manner you can just drive in/drive off, and can land at typical small GA airports with runways 5,000' or less without underwear damage?

c17 :lol: Shorts 360 is close. C130, C295, q400, an26, an24

Last edited:
They just proudly announced their one (1) service center in europe :wink2: . The planes in production now are going to be substantially different from the conforming prototype Morgan Freeman was flying around (until it got bent a during a landing incident last week).

If you have a simple, standard construction, aircraft, with off the shelf components, you don't particularly need a factory support center, you need a good set of manuals for your local jet center to provide service. That they have opened a Jet Center recently in Europe is actually a positive sign of growth into the market. Pilots ding planes without it being the planes fault. He's been flying it for quite a while, so he can't be thoroughly displeased.

Alenia G222

TurboLET (too slow)

Casa 295

Last edited:
and it hauls ass

I've seen it at CKM. The SJ30 looks sick in person

Yeah, it does doesn't it, and it has legs. Ed Swearingen is no shoddy **** wit. He knows how to build a fast efficient, cost effective, plane. I wouldn't think he would put his good name with a crap manufacturer.

If it was a BedeJ-30, I would have more reservations.:lol:

That is very much incorrect. Look at IRS numbers.

Post #22.

He's correct on the 1%, off on the 5%. 50% isn't 'very much' incorrect, in fact, it's half correct.

I've seen those numbers before but I was amazed how little money you have to make to be in the much hated 1%. Before seeing a number I assumed it was people making many millions. The actual distribution looks entirely reasonable.... but I'm a dirty libertarian capitalist so...

Post #22.

He's correct on the 1%, off on the 5%. 50% isn't 'very much' incorrect, in fact, it's half correct.

Really?

You posted
Top 1%: $380,354
Top 5%: $159,619
Top 10%: $113,799
Top 25%: $67,280
Top 50%: >$33,048

He posted
top 1% $193,000
top 5% $93,000

Neither of which are correct. 0/2=0%

$193,000 doesn't get you into the 1% club, don't care what you or anyone says. Maybe you just post too quickly before reading the facts, who knows...who cares. This will set you up for another.:rofl:

Really?

You posted
Top 1%: $380,354
Top 5%: $159,619
Top 10%: $113,799
Top 25%: $67,280
Top 50%: >$33,048

He posted
top 1% $193,000
top 5% $93,000

Neither of which are correct. 0/2=0%

$193,000 doesn't get you into the 1% club, don't care what you or anyone says. Maybe you just post too quickly before reading the facts, who knows...who cares. This will set you up for another.:rofl:

I TOTALLY mixed up his numbers. I swore I saw $400,000 puts one in the 1% Looking back, my eyes must have read your 400k as part of his quote.

Last edited:
Pilatus PC-24 might be a good compromise for me on size/speed/performance/load.

I've seen those numbers before but I was amazed how little money you have to make to be in the much hated 1%. Before seeing a number I assumed it was people making many millions. The actual distribution looks entirely reasonable.... but I'm a dirty libertarian capitalist so...

You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

According to Kiplingers, in 2013 it took an AGI of $428,713 to be in the top 1%. Those 1% paid 38% of the federal income tax. Greedy bastards.

Now, AGI isn't 'salary' and to some extent not even equivalent to income. I am also not sure what the numbers are broken down for single filers vs. married or head of hoursehold.

1% is nothing because the mean is so low. The real power is really much more densly held than that. There's only one family name worth trillion$+, and a dozen or so in the hundreds of billions. These are the dynastic families from feudalism with titles of Aristocracy still passed down from Constantine during the transition of the Roman Empire from Saturnism to Christrianity/Catholicism. After they lost political power in the Magna Carta era, they took the wealth they didn't lose and created the capital markets we still use today.

Basically we are the Roman Empire, and currently think and act the same as during the Gladiator period, ruled by the same dynastic families.

The .0001% use the 1% to throw under the bus to the 99%.

Last edited:
You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

According to Kiplingers, in 2013 it took an AGI of $428,713 to be in the top 1%. Those 1% paid 38% of the federal income tax. Greedy bastards.

Now, AGI isn't 'salary' and to some extent not even equivalent to income. I am also not sure what the numbers are broken down for single filers vs. married or head of hoursehold.

Yeah, I also read the 1% earned 40% of the income, so they made out by only paying 38% of the taxes.

Yeah, I also read the 1% earned 40% of the income, so they made out by only paying 38% of the taxes.

According to the article I cited, they made 19% of the income and paid 38% of the federal income tax.

The top 5% make 34.4% of the income and pay 58.6% of the federal income tax.

Interesting fact, everyone who makes a profit ads to the national debt. For every dollar of profit created in the market, a dollar is created at the Federal Reserve to cover it, however there is nothing coving it, it's fiat currency, so it gets added to the debt. Income tax pays the service on that debt first. Look what happened to the rate of rise of the debt with Quantitative Easing. We owe them for every dollar they created, and they created trillions, and 85% of it is sitting in the Fed, not in the economy.

Our 'economic strength' is an accounting fantasy of making something out of nothing. But it doesn't, it makes it out of the suffering of "others" that we take from to cover our debt.

Last edited:
For range, speed and comfort (large cabin class) it would be either the Gulfstream G550/G650 or a Bombardier Global Express 5000/6000.

Um, you need to be higher than the 1% to buy/fly a private jet.

I think some most people don't realize how low the threshold for being in the 1% is, and how much to operate a jet costs.

But -but- but, Obama says that people making $250K are in the same league as millionaires and billionaires!

I've seen those numbers before but I was amazed how little money you have to make to be in the much hated 1%. Before seeing a number I assumed it was people making many millions

You think that is an innocent "mistake" promulgated by a certain Party?

But -but- but, Obama says that people making $250K are in the same league as millionaires and billionaires!

Actually they are. At $250,000 a year you have access to all the entertainment and quality of life features our society has to offer. You can afford a family, a plane, a house, and a boat, on $250,000k a year, you just can't have it to the levels of extreme excesses that a billionaire can. $250k a year I can afford to do everything I want, including hookers and blow, I just have to be ingenious to maximize the return.

Here's what billionaires get to do, they get to have a $300,000,000 yacht with a $3,000,000+ annual operating budget that they will be on for 18 days this year.

Back