If you have to land on the interstate.....

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Say u loose engine, and the only place suitable to land is the interstate rt beneath u, u have time to choose to land with the traffic flow, or against it. Which one would you choose and why.

Go.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No debate at all. With traffic. Your stall speed is close to highway speed. Cars who see you behind you will stop, cars in front will keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this topic was resolved years ago?

Neither unless the road is wide open...you don't get to kill people on the ground in an attempt to save your own arse.

I go for the grass in the middle if there is any and then with traffic as second choice.

If I'm alone in the airplane I go for most survivable without endangering others. If I have passengers I figure they are just as important as the people driving on the interstate.

The "correct" answer is with traffic.

That said, it always seemed to me it's better against traffic so they can see you coming and part ways.

With traffic. I don't need someone texting to head toward me at 60 mph and take me out after a successful emergency landing on the freeway.

eman model 1200 mobile landing system

images

I like it..

That said, it always seemed to me it's better against traffic so they can see you coming and part ways.
That's my thought as well, but I can also see someone coming to a screeching halt as u touchdown rt in front of i

60-100mph approach/touchdown speed + 70 mph highway traffic speed head on = 130-170 mph impact. You make the call.

They barely manage to eventually part for an ambulance with a siren coming slowly from behind, and you think dozens of cars are going to magically part at a closing speed of over 100 miles an hour?

This is actually a great question, I ask myself this question quite frequently as I like to stay over highways/interstates when I fly longer cross country.

They barely manage to eventually part for an ambulance with a siren coming slowly from behind, and you think dozens of cars are going to magically part at a closing speed of over 100 miles an hour?

That's sort of my point. An ambulance is coming from behind you, much like an airplane would be.

Absolutely with, unless you like being in an aluminum can heading toward a car with a 150 mph closure rate.

With the the traffic and be ready to dodge a car in front of you if they freak out and hit the brakes. Regardless, off the road as quickly as possible, even to the point of sacrificing this stupid airplane that just tried to to kill you.

That's sort of my point. An ambulance is coming from behind you, much like an airplane would be.

The point is an airplane coming from behind wouldn't be noticed so the traffic would keep going clearing the way assuming no traffic. Those behind you would only need to slow...

Regardless, off the road as quickly as possible, even to the point of sacrificing this stupid airplane that just tried to to kill you.

As Rod Machado explained in a talk I was at about 12 years ago, the most expensive plane you've likely flown is worth about $100.

That is the insurance deductible (if any), on your policy.

What if it's your own arse and five passengers? Or your own arse and your 13 year old daughter sitting next to you?

Of course you are going to do everything to save everyone's life and going with traffic if the opportunity presents itself...but if you are suggesting that it is OK to knowingly plow down others on the ground in attempt to save people that took that risk with you or you opted to expose to that risk is OK...that is sick and inhumanly selfish IMO.

$100 - a great way to put it...the airplane is least of your concerns. I will trash it all to pieces in order to get safely stopped on the ground again if it betrays me.

Last edited:
With the traffic... I don't need to worry about landing on an interstate. We have one 4 lane road in town and its about 10 miles long, down town to the airport basically. As a matter of fact don't think there is an interstate within 500 miles or so....:)

Of course you are going to do everything to save everyone's life and going with traffic if the opportunity presents itself...but if you are suggesting that it is OK to knowingly plow down others on the ground in attempt to save people that took that risk with you or you opted to expose to that risk is OK...that is sick and inhumanly selfish IMO.

Of course a rural interstate isn't the same as rush hour around a city. Use judgement.

Hey, it's all about numero uno. Besides, if someone decided to be driving on my emergency landing strip just when I needed to land there, that's their fault.

Landing against traffic at highway speeds? It baffles my mind why it would even cross your mind.

Exactly, not to.mention those idiots who might decide to slow down since look there is a plane in my rear view mirror (If they manage to look in the mirror in the first place ...away from grabbing pocket monsters )

I don't think it really matters these days since practically everyone has their nose in their phone and won't see you coming anyway.
Isn't that the truth.

Exactly, not to.mention those idiots who might decide to slow down since look there is a plane in my rear view mirror (If they manage to look in the mirror in the first place ...away from grabbing pocket monsters )

They won't see you in a rear view until you're touching down.

If you were forced to swerve your car into another lane, would you choose the oncoming lane, or the one going your direction?

If you were forced to swerve your car into another lane, would you choose the oncoming lane, or the one going your direction?
As could also be said when landing with traffic. The speed differential is much less, but so is time to react. In all liklyhood you may only see the airplane for a second or less. Oncoming, assuming the driver is paying attention, may have significantly more time.

I'm not arguing the correct answer here, as I've stated that in an earlier post. I'm just responding to your post about "baffling your mind."

As could also be said when landing with traffic. The speed differential is much less, but so is time to react. In all liklyhood you may only see the airplane for a second or less. Oncoming, assuming the driver is paying attention, may have significantly more time.

I'm not arguing the correct answer here, as I've stated that in an earlier post. I'm just responding to your post about "baffling your mind."

They have one second to react, if they see you they are behind you, and their reaction won't be to accelerate into you. I touchdown at something like 75-80mph.

Back