If you have to land on the interstate.....

Say u loose engine, and the only place suitable to land is the interstate rt beneath u, u have time to choose to land with the traffic flow, or against it. Which one would you choose and why.

Go.

Perpendicular. :popcorn:

That way you can clear vehicle traffic left, and right, both lanes. Cool huh.

I've always thought about with traffic and to come in with extra airspeed - the first guy/gal that sees you in the rear view mirror is going to brake. Even though it makes no sense, that's the reaction for drivers when they panic. If they slam the brakes I'd like to have enough speed to level out at 10-15' to glide over them if needed. If not needed it's just a bit longer of a landing zone. Who knows if it'd work... makes me feel better to say I'd try it though.

A guy had no problem merging with rush hour traffic on I-75 not far from my house a few years ago. No damage to aircraft, cars or anything else

If your successful and it's a quick fix will THEY let you fly it out? Does insurance pay the tow. Has any one pulled this off

If your successful and it's a quick fix will THEY let you fly it out? Does insurance pay the tow. Has any one pulled this off

That would depend on the jurisdiction and any obstructions that would be in the way but yes it has been done.

Back