IF YOU HAVE IT....DON'T LET IT GO

Scotty

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jay-ATP_1979
NOTICE TO ALL INSTRUCTORS.....DON'T LET YOUR FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR RATING EXPIRE..EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE IT... I did on January 31, 2010. I've was told I would regret it and I do. We were moving at the time and I had made up my mind I had no business instructing...now I'm retired and unable to get a medical for more than one reason I can't " reinstate " my rating....PLEASE keep yours , someday you might want it.. If I only help one of you instructors out there this post will have been worth it...Scotty PS. This message is for all of the pilots that fly AIRLINES, COROPRATE, CHARTER, ETC. We need new young pilots trained....someday hopefully you will instruct again...Smooth flying to all of you.++ I'm sorry for the confusion, this is my first post... When your instructor rating expires you have to " reinstate " it and that requires a medical...If your not expired you can " renew " your current rating...all responses are appreciated....

Last edited:
American Flyers is the gift that keeps on giving!

American Flyers is the gift that keeps on giving!

I've used Gleim many times, it's ok. Used AOPA last year for the hell of it. Very good w/ excellent videos. Might try Amer Flyers next time though, that one time fee sounds good.

I've used Gleim many times, it's ok. Used AOPA last year for the hell of it. Very good w/ excellent videos. Might try Amer Flyers next time though, that one time fee sounds good.
Thank You for keeping yours current..My problem is medical...you can't " reinstate " without one, mine is gone forever. Scotty

Thank You for keeping yours current..My problem is medical...you can't " reinstate " without one, mine is gone forever. Scotty

Sorry about your situation Scotty. I spent 24 years at an airline and did no instruction to speak of during that time but kept it current. I've done a some since then but not much lately as I wasn't getting any students at the flight school (too many CFIs there) and I wasn't about to hang out at the airport all day like I did in the past. Been there done that.

King program is also a good one, did my last renew with them, my first renew via refresher, good experience and it also renewed that TSA nonsense.

Sorry about your situation Scotty. I spent 24 years at an airline and did no instruction to speak of during that time but kept it current. I've done a some since then but not much lately as I wasn't getting any students at the flight school (too many CFIs there) and I wasn't about to hang out at the airport all day like I did in the past. Been there done that.
88 Thank you for your kindness. I was is a similar situation in the corporate world for 31 years.

Me too. When I flew corporate 135, my CFI was renewed for 4 decades by "personal recognition" from the FAA. Now I don't have that luxury.

It's not a great course, but it's not terribly painful to go through, and like you said that one time fee is pretty cool. I think I've renewed five times on 99 bucks.

The better programs might be worth it for people more dialed in to GA. I figure it'll take a hell of a lot more than an online refresher course to get me back to even remotely competent, so I might as well just go through the motions. Once I'm ready to get back into the instructing game again, I'll actually put my nose to the grindstone and do it right.

This April will be my first time renewing my CFI. I put way too much work into it to let it expire.
jordane thank you, I got mine when I was 24 and taught lots of students over the years...it is very well worth keeping ....thank you for your response...Scotty I hope your getting some ideas for the other posts, they are right on.

Thanks for the PIREP, Scotty. I'm not a CFI, but that is good information.

Scott,
You have no idea just how right you are. Mine expired last year while I was battling cancer, and I couldn't even hold the remote for the tv, let alone get online and do the renew! I instructed for 20yrs, and over 3k hrs. of dual given. The cancer/chemo has destroyed my life, I can't ride anymore, have tried flying with a former student. I could feel the airplane but just could not move the arms and feet to correct. (did feel good to go up though). Most days I shouldn't drive, but I do when necessary. (some days I can barely walk)
Anyway, you are correct in your original post.

Can you not teach sport pilots?
Sorry , thanks for your comment. I am a XX,XXX hour pilot that could only fly an ultra-lite that weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight excluding floats or other safety devices for use in emergencies.... fuel capacity no to exceed 5 us gallons, and has a power off stalling speed not to exceed 24 kts. legally.

This is a good thread right here at Thanksgiving. If you have your health (i.e. are healthy), you have a LOT to be thankful for!

So...I'll start. What does one do with a CFI and no medical? Other than just bragging rights with the card?

Why not? that is a good question, it's just our FAA rules. I've been told to get an add on rating like Glider Instructor but even there you have to sign that you have no know medical reasons that would keep you from flying...I feel great but in their eyes I have medical issues. It hurts but it's my fault...Scotty

This is a good thread right here at Thanksgiving. If you have your health (i.e. are healthy), you have a LOT to be thankful for!
Just spent some time at MD Anderson in Houston and came out great....I agree be thankful for what we do have.....Scotty

So...I'll start. What does one do with a CFI and no medical? Other than just bragging rights with the card?
A CFI can do any training where he is not acting as PIC....he can't do hood work let's say a private pilot wants help on x-wind to and landings..things like that..A CFI can do many things with no medical....by the way for bragging rights I still do hold an expired CFI....not much to brag about is it. You might someday get a BFR form an instructor with no medical...happy flying

Scott,
You have no idea just how right you are. Mine expired last year while I was battling cancer, and I couldn't even hold the remote for the tv, let alone get online and do the renew! I instructed for 20yrs, and over 3k hrs. of dual given. The cancer/chemo has destroyed my life, I can't ride anymore, have tried flying with a former student. I could feel the airplane but just could not move the arms and feet to correct. (did feel good to go up though). Most days I shouldn't drive, but I do when necessary. (some days I can barely walk)
Anyway, you are correct in your original post.
cfiiguy I'm sorry that a fellow pilot has to go through what you are going through, let me say I'm sorry for any person that has to do it. I hope you are hanging in there and at least having some fun on this site....there are a lot of fine people here and I only been here for 3 days and love it..can't fly but I sure can give an opinion about things right or wrong. My last flight I was PIC at 40,000 ft. had chest pains, they put a stint in me and that was my last flight....November 16 , 2007. I moved from my hometown to South Texas , if I were still up there I could get lots of flying..it makes me miss ...shall we say HOME. I wish you all the best Scotty

Which rule?
Call the FAA , tell them you have an " Expired " CFI how do I get it back...Throw in you can't get a medical...I don't know the rule because I haven't been in a book for years but if there is a way I wish to find it out.. thanks for your comment Scotty

I
Thank You....if you have a Cherokee 6 ,, it's a great plane ....have many good memories about my flying them.....Scotty
had a Six for almost ten years..... loved it. Then I realized I never had more than a pax or two....so I down sized to something a little bit sportier and faster. I now have a V35A. :D

Last edited:
Call the FAA , tell them you have an " Expired " CFI how do I get it back...Throw in you can't get a medical...I don't know the rule because I haven't been in a book for years but if there is a way I wish to find it out.. thanks for your comment Scotty

The rule is still there, but two different FSDO's interpreted it liberally to allow my renewal ride without one as long as I could act as PIC of the aircraft used - in my case a Light Sport - without a medical.

Details here: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/do-i-need-a-bfr.98766/#post-2157751

Me too. When I flew corporate 135, my CFI was renewed for 4 decades by "personal recognition" from the FAA. Now I don't have that luxury.
I was also renewed because of personal recognition from a very kind FAA inspector...he passed away a few years back and he is missed...I guess it's ok to name him out of respect Ted McAnally out Kansas City FSDO ( I sure hope I spelled his name right )>.....Scotty

Last edited:
A CFI can do any training where he is not acting as PIC....he can't do hood work let's say a private pilot wants help on x-wind to and landings..things like that..A CFI can do many things with no medical....by the way for bragging rights I still do hold an expired CFI....not much to brag about is it. You might someday get a BFR form an instructor with no medical...happy flying
You could still go up with a private pilot and help them work on crosswind landings. You just couldn't do it as a CFI, and the other pilot would need to be PIC. As I understand your situation, though, you have self-grounded, so the other pilot would need to be PIC in any case.

You could still go up with a private pilot and help them work on crosswind landings. You just couldn't do it as a CFI, and the other pilot would need to be PIC. As I understand your situation, though, you have self-grounded, so the other pilot would need to be PIC in any case.
Your right , I moved from my life long home to middle of nowhere , if I were back there I would be doing all the flying I wanted like you said....thank you for think of my situation ....Scotty

How about doing ground instruction? I don't think you need a medical for an AGI or an IGI.

How about doing ground instruction? I don't think you need a medical for an AGI or an IGI.
noahfong, that's a good idea , I think I will look into that...thank you for caring Happy safe flying.... Probably do it online or just do it to help someone..now I will go out and look...Scotty

Back