IF YOU HAVE IT....DON'T LET IT GO

Scotty-

I'm not sure who you discussed it with...i.e. The FSDO or a DPE, but....You MAY be able to take the CFI reinstatement ride. Here's how I figure:

§61.39(a)(4) says you must hold a 3rd class medical if one is required.

So is a medical required to exercise the privileges of a flight instructor certificate? No, and here is the FAA's guidance on the issue:

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch2,Sec11

See section 5-507.

"the FAA does not require a valid medical certificate from a certificated pilot who does not exercise privileges as a PIC or as a required crewmember during a practical test leading to the issuance or renewal of a flight instructor certificate. FSDO managers are encouraged not to direct ASIs to act as a PIC to permit an applicant to take the practical test for renewal or initial issuance of a flight instructor certificate if that applicant does not hold a valid medical certificate (reference §61.23(b))."

The FAA actively recommends ASIs and DPEs not act as PIC during a check ride--but they do not prohibit them from doing so. So provided you could find an ASI or DPE willing to act as PIC during the reinstatement flight, you could take the check ride.

If you're serious about persuing the reinstatement, and have a willing DPE, I may be able to help you if you contact me offline.

Scotty-

I'm not sure who you discussed it with...i.e. The FSDO or a DPE, but....You MAY be able to take the CFI reinstatement ride. Here's how I figure:

§61.39(a)(4) says you must hold a 3rd class medical if one is required.

So is a medical required to exercise the privileges of a flight instructor certificate? No, and here is the FAA's guidance on the issue:

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch2,Sec11

See section 5-507.

"the FAA does not require a valid medical certificate from a certificated pilot who does not exercise privileges as a PIC or as a required crewmember during a practical test leading to the issuance or renewal of a flight instructor certificate. FSDO managers are encouraged not to direct ASIs to act as a PIC to permit an applicant to take the practical test for renewal or initial issuance of a flight instructor certificate if that applicant does not hold a valid medical certificate (reference §61.23(b))."

The FAA actively recommends ASIs and DPEs not act as PIC during a check ride--but they do not prohibit them from doing so. So provided you could find an ASI or DPE willing to act as PIC during the reinstatement flight, you could take the check ride.

If you're serious about persuing the reinstatement, and have a willing DPE, I may be able to help you if you contact me offline.
Brad , Thank You...I guess the secret if finding a DPE that will do it...ones I have spoken to wouldn't- I might add I really haven't looked into it for about 6 years ...things do change , i'll take your advice and call again...adding that knowing what I know about the area it's probably not worth the time (which I have) and money (which I don't have) . I really made this post to let instructors that are current to stay that way. Thank you again , I do appreciate every comment. Scotty

Brad , Thank You...I guess the secret if finding a DPE that will do it...ones I have spoken to wouldn't- I might add I really haven't looked into it for about 6 years ...things do change , i'll take your advice and call again...adding that knowing what I know about the area it's probably not worth the time (which I have) and money (which I don't have) . I really made this post to let instructors that are current to stay that way. Thank you again , I do appreciate every comment. Scotty
Yeah, it's rare that inspectors or DPEs do reinstatement rides, let alone one where the applicant doesn't hold a medical. While the guidance doesn't encourage the examiners to act as PIC on a CFI check ride, it clearly doesn't prohibit it. Good luck. I'll also agree with others that there are ways to share your knowledge and wisdom with less experienced pilots that does not involve exercising flight instructor privileges.

What's the reg?

I emailed my DPE and he dug it out:

§61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.
(a) Operations requiring a medical certificate. Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, a person—

(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate—

(vi) When taking a practical test in an aircraft for a recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot, or airline transport pilot certificate, or for a flight instructor certificate...

Remember, that's the one where two different FSDO's said it would not be required for a CFI recertification ride in a Light Sport, since the intent was to be sure the applicant could act as PIC during the checkride, and that was covered by the driver's license in lieu of the medical for a Light Sport.

Back