If I buy an ipad, how long before it becomes obsolete?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
If I purchase a new ipad for the sole purpose of using Foreflight and nothing else (no web-surfing, no downloading music/videos, etc.), about how long do you estimate it would last until I would have to buy a new one? I like to think it would be at least 3 years if not more. For ipad/foreflight users (or any other electronic flightbag program), how long have you had your ipad?

Another question is, would it be a good idea for me to purchase an ipad with the cellular capability for backup even though I intend to use Stratus whenever I fly. (Cellular is not required for an ipad to function as a GPS if a Stratus is used, but it sounds like it may be a good idea in case the Stratus were to fail).

Ive had mine for 6 years (II)
I have prob had FF for most of that
No cellular svc
Yes Stratus

Im not sure you could rely on the data plan while airborne.

PS Stratus; not sure I'd buy another.

My iPad3 is obsolete. Apple has stopped supporting it.

I recommend buying a 128gb as my 16 is unable to handle all the data bases. If you want music, FF, apps. You need data space.

I plan on buying a Pro 9.7 in a few months and dumping the iPad 3.

I'm probably going to settle for the 32gb (I don't believe the Pro comes with any less storage). While my question about "no websurfing or downloading" was hypothetical, the primary reason is to install Foreflight and use it as an inflight GPS. I may download some songs here and there, but nothing exetreme.

I believe I want the Pro 12.9. It's a big beast, but it should make the movable map easy to see. :D

Why do you need to replace it after it's a few years old? Foreflight doesn't need the latest and greatest machine to operate on. Save yourself some money and hang on to your gadgets...even after they've been succeded. o_O

My cell phone made my iPad obsolete. I got a new iPad air from a training event last year. I gave away the iPad after I finished the class. I Don't need an iPad, cell phone and a paper chart for back up is all I use.

Why do you need to replace it after it's a few years old? Foreflight doesn't need the latest and greatest machine to operate on. Save yourself some money and hang on to your gadgets...even after they've been succeded. o_O

Well this was the answer I was looking (and hoping) for. I've never owned an ipad or use an EFB so I'm a bit ignorant. Once I buy it, as long as it'll run Foreflight just fine (or whichever EFB I use), I'll keep it for the next 20 years no matter how outdated it becomes. :)

So here's the skinny on apple iphones and iPads. They are continually being updated and after enough time passes they will be developing the new software for the newest best hardware. That means in time your device, while still functional, will be slow and clunky.... or possibly you will find yourself unable to update to the newest version and take advantage of the new features.

If you buy the current newest thing you have at least 2 years of the device being fairly "fresh" and snappy. I would say up to 4 years of it still being perfectly usable if you're not fussy. Maybe longer if you're stubborn/far more patient than I am.

I've been running Foreflight since they came out. I typically replace my iPad after about 3 years. I don't have to, I just do.

I've never had a cellular Ipad. I just update when I'm home. Financially, I think that I'm either breaking even or a little ahead.

Every pad out there gets outdated in about 2.5 years or less, doesn't mean u can't run it, it means they are less secure, and the power hungry apps newer will make it sluggish. Doesn't matter if u aren't visiting questionable sites or opening up email with attachments that promises a zillion dollar that your great great grandfather left for u in South Africa. I don't have an iPad, but have 9 various models of computers at my home, they all run just fine, gets slower with newer apps, this about it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've had mine (iPad 3, I believe. Not sure. WiFi only) since Christmas 2012. While its not obsolete, it is slowing down. I can get one more year out of it but anything after that is just torturing myself. I have the most up-to-date OS available.

I think its a 64gb version and I have plent of room (14gb (+hundreds of HD pics) or so available). That's with almost every type of chart and approach plate available for all 50 states.

Its primarily used for FF and light browsing of the web/youtube. That's it. If like to use it for more but Apple's commie limited-access OS and the nature of the unit itself makes it more of a paperweight when I'm not flying.

My iPad Air from late 2013 runs ForeFlight and anything I need for work such as PDF annotation and mail just fine. I want to upgrade to a Pro because the Pencil will make writing down clearances, ATIS, and so on easier.

I wouldn't get the big Pro. I mount my iPad on the yoke and it already blocks too much of my panel. The 12.9" Pro is also a bit bulky for my regular use.

The cellular model has a built in GPS that works even if you don't activate the cellular data service. That would be handy as a backup to your Stratus. But not $100 worth of handy for me.

My iPad is 32GB and its tight with ForeFlight and FltPlanGo both installed and some charts loaded. Get a bigger one.

I got an ipad mini 4 with 128gb of storage in December. Probably won't ever use it all, but just in case haha.

If you update your OS and continue to download the latest apps or updates, the iPad will get slow. While I don't use FF on my antique iPad 2, it's as fast as it ever was. I updated the OS one time in its lifetime early on so a new app would be downloadable, and that's it. I'm pretty much locked in to the 100 or so apps I had originally downloaded, but I'm cool with that. I have my iPhone 6s+ for newfangled stuff.

Tablets are just going through the same process PCs went through 15-20 years ago. A pace of technological improvement that makes machines increasingly faster and software increasingly complex to use up the new resources. The old guys stay viable for longer but start showing their age. But like the PC, it starts to slow down eventually.

I am on my third iPad in 5 years.1st gen to 3rd gen to Mini 4. 1 to 3 was pretty much necessary. Latest versions of apps were no longer compatible. 3 to Mini was a bit more of a deliberate choice - I wanted a Mini next and figured my 3's resale value was in a good sweet spot and going to drop a lot if I waited much longer - but it was starting to get slow. I'd guess the current pace is in the 2-3 year range depending on your level of use.

I used a mini for a few years (it had already been out for a while) until I noticed it started getting sluggish. I now have a mini 3 (same processor as 2 but with fingerprint security). I've used it for a year or so, and it's holding up well.

If you want to download a lot of states, I recommend getting a 32GB. I have a 16, and it does what I need. My phone is an iphone 5s 16gb, and space is a problem with foreflight. I love my stratus 2. If you want a gps backup, get a bad elf. You can always shove it in the port if your stratus goes down.

Mine is about six years old, an original - I run FF and a Dual app,which supports an external GPS receiver. No other apps. Works fine, but I'm in IT and not that interested in "play" apps. For FF only, you should get multiple years of use, as I have.

I have it in a ruggedized case, and it sits on my kneeboard, doesn't slide around. I've thought about a mini, but, except in the approach phase, the iPad is my primary nav guidance, VMC or IMC. For practical purposes, the panel mount G-530 is my backup, so I prefer the larger format of the full size device.

Your iPad will be obsolete on the day you buy it. In fact, Apple should just put a dumpster right outside their front door so customers can toss their iPads into it as they leave. It would make things much more efficient.

Serious reply: I like to get the cellular models simply for the internal GPS. It works just fine. Never seen a need to buy another GPS to connect to it. Only used the cellular connection once.

I think apple is planning on updating/revamping the ipad sometime this year. Some reports say March, so say April or may.
So depending on your timeline (or preferences) it might be best to wait.

My iPad3 is obsolete. Apple has stopped supporting it.

Mine isn't :) Still going strong since 2012, so it's been 5 years. Not having the latest iOS version does not mean it's not completely usable yet.

But to answer your question: yes, it's at least 3 years, more realistically 4-5 years.

Just don't downLoad (don't know why the damn thing capitalized the L, anyway).....any of the new operating systems they keep "improving". I had an older iPad, about 4 years, bought a stratus, something technical forced me to do an upgrade. Damn thing ran so slow as to be almost unusable. Bought a new iPad Air to run FF, it seems to be OK, but when browsing on safari it is constantly detecting errors on the page and reloading. Planned obsolescence BS.

Mine isn't :) Still going strong since 2012, so it's been 5 years. Not having the latest iOS version does not mean it's not completely usable yet.

But to answer your question: yes, it's at least 3 years, more realistically 4-5 years.

Oh, it still works. I'm on it now, but I have noticed a significant difference with FF between the 3 and my Air 2. Loading FF, zooming, searching airports..... The 3 just drags where the Air pops right up.

I firmly believe the more Apple updates iOS, the worse they make it. I think it's on purpose to compel hardware upgrades myself. No money in support. What better way to make a sale then slowing down a users productivity, right?

After 5 yrs on my 3, it is getting "slow and clunky". I have gotten a lot of use out of it.

Depends on if you always mindlessly install all the iOS updates.

My iPad is running a older iOS, runs everything just as fast as my coworkers new iPad, now I don't have emoji icons, not sure what effect that has on the saftey of flight, or even Internet and Netflix lol

Just FYI, if u are not updating to the latest version, you are opening yourself to zero day attacks. Albeit less prevalent on ios devices, still there. If u don't update, do yourself a favor and don't do mobile banking from it.

Mine is about six years old, an original - I run FF and a Dual app,which supports an external GPS receiver. No other apps. Works fine, but I'm in IT and not that interested in "play" apps. For FF only, you should get multiple years of use, as I have.

I have it in a ruggedized case, and it sits on my kneeboard, doesn't slide around. I've thought about a mini, but, except in the approach phase, the iPad is my primary nav guidance, VMC or IMC. For practical purposes, the panel mount G-530 is my backup, so I prefer the larger format of the full size device.

I'm not interested in apps either. The primary reason I'm getting one is to use Foreflight. I may do a bit of youtubing but that's about it.

The airplane I fly has no GPS installed whatsoever. Has two Navcoms, but the closest VOR station is well over 50 nautical miles away.

If I purchase a new ipad for the sole purpose of using Foreflight and nothing else (no web-surfing, no downloading music/videos, etc.), about how long do you estimate it would last until I would have to buy a new one? I like to think it would be at least 3 years if not more. For ipad/foreflight users (or any other electronic flightbag program), how long have you had your ipad?

Another question is, would it be a good idea for me to purchase an ipad with the cellular capability for backup even though I intend to use Stratus whenever I fly. (Cellular is not required for an ipad to function as a GPS if a Stratus is used, but it sounds like it may be a good idea in case the Stratus were to fail).
not quite sure what you mean by 'obsolete'. I bought a used, original iPad mini with the cellular option 4-yrs ago and it's still working. I've used ForeFlight on it in the past with no issues. i think an iPad with the cellular option is a wise move. treat the tablet well and I would expect it to last many more than 3-yrs. my wife is still using an iPhone 4S and I have an iPhone 5.

Just FYI, if u are not updating to the latest version, you are opening yourself to zero day attacks. Albeit less prevalent on ios devices, still there. If u don't update, do yourself a favor and don't do mobile banking from it.

Not worried.

Good suggestion about not accessing financial accounts from a non-updated device. Perhaps the same precaution would apply to accessing email, since email accounts are widely used for resetting lost passwords on other accounts.

I plan on buying a pro 9.7 this year and will more than likely never update it unless FF comes out and says I must.

It's a dedicated FF device as is my Air 2.

I semi-retired my iPad One when both Apple and Foreflight dropped support for it. It's still fine for watching Netflix and Youtube, and listening to audio books.

I replaced it with a Retina iPad mini purchased used from Gazelle. My understanding Apple is phasing out support for non-retina iPads. My iPad mini is cell capable, but I didn't get a sim card. iPads without a sim card socket don't have gps, and the gps in my iPad is insanely great.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/06/goodbye-a5-ios-10-ends-support-for-iphone-4s-ipad-2-and-more/

WARNING: I love my gadgets.

I have a 6 yr old iPad velcro'd to the console on the passenger side. It's a moving map, and a backup AHRS. It's slow to start, and slow to load, but once up, FF keeps up fine. (It does take time to switch from one function to the other in FF, which is why it's just a moving map.) It's too old to update the OS anymore, which is probably a good thing. It has a cellular chip in it, but it's always connected to my Stratus 2. FF is the only app installed in it these days.

I also run a 2 yr old iPad mini 4 with FF. That one also has a cellular chip in it,which I like, because I'm sure to be able to get weather data if there is no wireless available. I've used it to file IFR flight plans while getting coffee on the way to the airport. Just handy to have those capabilities when you need them. I normally have the mini on my yoke, and connected to the Stratus as well. My wife uses it to shop online in bed at night, and to read books. At 32GB, it isn't enough room to hold all the data for all 50 states. I plan to upgrade in about a year, and let my wife keep the old one.

I also have an old (slightly damaged) iPhone 6+ (but not running FF). In the plane it sits in a cradle tucked into that little gap between the OAT on my left and the corner of the glareshield. I use it for my checklists. (Using CheckMate.) I also use an E6B app on it, as well as an IFR timer app. Also very handy.

Lastly, I have my iPhone 6 (normal size) running FF. I don't use it in the plane, except to text my wife before I take off and after I land. I guess, since I have FF on my iPhone, I don't really need the cellular chip in the iPad mini, but I think when I bought it I was still using an Android phone.

And before you all start throwing rocks, yes, I have paper charts in the plane.

I've been wondering this question lately myself. I have been happy using a Samsung tablet, but if I proceed much further into the commercial realm I will need FF. I've been looking at the Ipad Mini 4, but have thought of holding off until the next is released. I've heard rumor we may see something yet this year.

There are different philosophies on this, but in general mine is to buy the latest and greatest, get a pretty good amount of storage, and then run it for 3-4 years. If you buy an older model you're already going to be timing out early.

The real issue is that whether you want to update or not, the apps you run WILL start requiring new iOS releases and you'll be stuck on old versions, which eventually become unsupported.

One way or another you'll be upgrading the hardware on some kind of cycle; I prefer to keep the hardware longer and upgrade less often, so I buy the newest product out there and get plenty of storage so it doesn't get painful to use. For the record I have the iPad Pro 9.7, Air 2, and a Mini 2 (which is getting long in the tooth now and will need to be replaced in the somewhat near future.)

Tablets are just going through the same process PCs went through 15-20 years ago. A pace of technological improvement that makes machines increasingly faster and software increasingly complex to use up the new resources. The old guys stay viable for longer but start showing their age. But like the PC, it starts to slow down eventually.

I am on my third iPad in 5 years.1st gen to 3rd gen to Mini 4. 1 to 3 was pretty much necessary. Latest versions of apps were no longer compatible. 3 to Mini was a bit more of a deliberate choice - I wanted a Mini next and figured my 3's resale value was in a good sweet spot and going to drop a lot if I waited much longer - but it was starting to get slow. I'd guess the current pace is in the 2-3 year range depending on your level of use.

The world we live in? where we have to throw away a perfectly good device because the developers are FORCING you to upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite the tech geek and I love new gadgets but I ran a speed test, (Network and processor) on my new Ipad and my old ipad air and guess what? Not much of a difference in speed even with the same apps. We are being duped folks!

I have a Windows 10 machine and a Windows XP and 7 Machine, I build my own PC's. I never update them, in fact I prefer not to because sometimes it freezes my machines or makes them unusable.

#1. Don't open attachments that you don't know who they are from.

#2. Stay away from Websites that are questionable.

#3. Always scan USB memory cards that you put into your machine to get files from.

Those three things are way more important than the recent updates you might install.

The world we live in? where we have to throw away a perfectly good device because the developers are FORCING you to upgrade. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite the tech geek and I love new gadgets but I ran a speed test, (Network and processor) on my new Ipad and my old ipad air and guess what? Not much of a difference in speed even with the same apps. We are being duped folks!
I'm not sure how my post triggered this. There is no question my first Gen iPad was getting slow and would not run the latest versions of the apps I want to run when I bought my iPad 3. And my choice of trading in my iPad 3 because I wanted a Mini was just that, my choice. One I am happy with.

Duped? Maybe. So what else is new? I was at a presentation given by Bill Gates. If I recall correctly it was the rolllout of Office 95 or maybe 97. "Our job as software developers," he said, "is to make your new, fast hardware seem slow." I just think we are just in a similar growth spurt with tablets. The PC's memory and speed improvement eventually slowed its pace (at least for the typical software consumers use) and I expect tablets to eventually do the same. I would not be at all surprised, for example, to find my Mini will last far longer than my 1st Gen and that my new Samsung Android tablet will outstrip the usefulness on its Asus predecessor.

Of course, if you think ForeFlight v.5 is has everything you want, your iPad 1 will be just fine.

Identify your iPad from the Model Number on it's back:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201471

Mine is an A1430 from early 2012. It's iOS cannot be updated nor can FF be updated because neither is supported anymore.
I'm replacing this iPad this year because it acts clunky and frequently freezes up.

For flying, I went too long with this particular iPad, even though it still functions sorta well on other things.

I plan on buying a pro 9.7 this year and will more than likely never update it unless FF comes out and says I must.

It's a dedicated FF device as is my Air 2.
You will like that pro 9.7! I have had a mini 3 on my yoke for a couple years. I was intrigued with the new screen specs of the pro 9.7...

Wow. I'm loving this thing. It has taken me a few tries to get it positioned exactly like I wanted on the ram horn yoke but now that it's set I love it. Looking at approach plates is so much better with the extra screen real estate.

And equally important I find that that the 9.7 isn't too large to get in the way, if positioned correctly.

Back