I82R landing gear swivel

Jesse Willis

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse willis
Hello guys i have a 182 r im an a&p ! My right brake will not say pumped up !there is,fluid on the inside wheel well ive changed the brake line swivel inside the aircraft. Im told that the landing gear pivot itself are,known to crack . I have the manual but cant seem to get the pivot out of the wheel well! Can anyone help?

Hire a real A&P. I am not convinced that you are one.
Thanks for your input no comment im actually an IA! But i knw how to control my tounge. Hve a good day! Never hurts to ask for help apparently you dont know how either!

If you say so. I’ve just never met an A&P with such poor writing skills. Your posts read like something a six year old would write. I’d hate to see your log entries.

If you say so. I’ve just never met an A&P with such poor writing skills. Your posts read like something a six year old would write. I’d hate to see your log entries.
Whats your problem ? I didnt ask help with writing skills.

Hello guys i have a 182 r im an a&p ! My right brake will not say pumped up !there is,fluid on the inside wheel well ive changed the brake line swivel inside the aircraft. Im told that the landing gear pivot itself are,known to crack . I have the manual but cant seem to get the pivot out of the wheel well! Can anyone help?

Normally when the gear trunion is cracked where the brake line swivel attaches the leaking fluid pools in the belly on the airplane under the brake line swivel.

You have to pull the trunion and gear leg to properly inspect for the crack.

Normally when the gear trunion is cracked where the brake line swivel attaches the leaking fluid pools in the belly on the airplane under the brake line swivel.

You have to pull the trunion and gear leg to properly inspect for the crack.
Thanks for you input . I was trying to remove the pivot assy. it appears to be cracked just past where the swivel screws in. I have everything loose including the outer locking tab and nut but the pivot itself im having the issue getting out to replace . The manual is cut an dried on removal but apparently im doing something not right?

I know one that I'm convinced can't read. He's had his IA for 3 or 4 decades, so maybe it wasn't required back then. ;)

Seriously though, maybe he has vision problems or something, but I have never, ever seen him read instructions, even when I've shoved them in his face to help with something he was struggling with doing without them. Maybe he just doesn't like to follow instructions. Surely he has to write log entries.....

PS> I don't let him do work on my plane

Thanks for you input . I was trying to remove the pivot assy. it appears to be cracked just past where the swivel screws in. I have everything loose including the outer locking tab and nut but the pivot itself im having the issue getting out to replace . The manual is cut an dried on removal but apparently im doing something not right?

Have you removed the actuator?

Just out of curiosity, do you have the aluminum pivots or steel pivots? Early on Cessna used steel, then switched to aluminum. Here are images of both types.

Attachments

• Cessna-R182-TR182-Main-Landing-Gear-Pivot.jpg
    Cessna-R182-TR182-Main-Landing-Gear-Pivot.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Pivot, Steel.jpg
    Pivot, Steel.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 29
That locking tab & nut comes off and outboard spindle supposed to recess enough to get the pivot out . Thats what im having the issue with .

Whats your problem ? I didnt ask help with writing skills.

Jesse, you are correct. However, you have to understand something. Right or wrong, poor basic writing and/or speaking skills convey a lack of intelligence. In lesser circumstances, they also make someone’s question difficult to interpret. Advice on these sites is free. Sometimes that means it is worth what you paid for it. Other times, it means that a knowledgeable person may “throw in the towel” on replying with helpful information only because they get frustrated trying to communicate with someone who appears to be lacking in writing skills.

Number 25 shaft is supposed to slide in the pivot and allow enough room to pull it out but wont do it

Attachments

• 1535374593697600562534.jpg
    1535374593697600562534.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 15
Jesse, you are correct. However, you have to understand something. Right or wrong, poor basic writing and/or speaking skills convey a lack of intelligence. In lesser circumstances, they also make someone’s question difficult to interpret. Advice on these sites is free. Sometimes that means it is worth what you paid for it. Other times, it means that a knowledgeable person may “throw in the towel” on replying with helpful information only because they get frustrated trying to communicate with someone who appears to be lacking in writing skills.

You don't work with mechanics do you? Have ever worked with "knuckle draggers" in a structures shop? Many old timers can't even type but they are wizards with tools and can read a print...

Last edited:
The old timer was my farther , he died last year. He had a mauntenance buisness for 50 years. Im in lawenforcement but have all my ratings. I just bought this 182 . Hope that makes you feel better! Ill get the help i need elsewhere i dont need negitive people in my life or a bunch of sarcasm.god bless you though .

You don't work with mechanics do you? Have ever worked with "knuckle draggers" in a structures shop? Many old timers can't even type but they are wizards with tools and can read a print...

I absolutely have. Please re-read my post. I am talking about perception, and how it particularly affects the online forum environment. I know some people who can barely read and write that are mechanical geniuses. That’s why I included “right or wrong” at the beginning of my statement.

Oh boy. Have you checked the price of a new pivot? Shocking, it is. Might have to buy another R182 for parts.

There is a company offering repair of certain cracks now. I have no idea how successful the repairs are.

I hope he knew it was already cracked and got it dirt cheap. I saw in immaculate one a while back with a cracked pivot, for sale about half what it was really worth.

Yes ! I think i saw one on ebay for 16k

We had exactly the same problem you're describing. Soft brake, fill/bleed, and it comes back within a few days and there's brake fluid running down the gear leg. It was a cracked pivot - The aluminum pivots are much more susceptible to this than the steel ones.

Cessna will sell you one for $19K, and they'll send it to you... Someday. The date we were given was "Maybe August" in early May, IIRC.

We sent ours in to have this repair/mod performed instead. IIRC it was $4K and change, and about 5-6 weeks turnaround time. It's the best you can do, I'm pretty sure these are the only two options (aside from salvage/eBay).

Good luck.

Could be a bad flux capacitator.

But I couldn’t find an A&P to confirm or deny that.

Back