I thought the airports would be empty today

Sunday will be even worse.

Next year I'm flying home the Tuesday after thanksgiving. I could have sworn last year nobody flew on Friday, maybe I'm misremembering.

Lots of folks fly on Friday. Especially when the discussions around the family table can be "challenging".

Thursday is the quiet day. Sunday is the worst day.

The airlines likely adjust prices to try to even the loads.

Thursday was an empty airport/airwaves day around KVJI. FBO closed.
Today (Friday) was like a weekend day, meaning moderately busy.

A lot of people just fly somewhere to get together with family for turkey day. That one day is quite enough and they only want to get back to their own saner life as soon as they can. Not everyone wants to spend a four day weekend with their dysfunctional family. That’s why they moved away in the first place. That is why the day after thanksgiving is a busy travel day.

One time I was jump seating back to Alaska on New Years Eve. On the flight from Minneapolis to Anchorage, there was 6 passengers on the plane.

I believe it was a 757. With 6 passengers. The FA asked if I wanted to sit up front. I did for the meal, then went back to an exit row to lay down and sleep.

Even Minneapolis-St Paul Airport felt virtually empty.

Flying commercial on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day is awesome. Never busy.

I decided against flying myself for Thanksgiving due to high winds at 1000', almost 0 at the surface and an LLWS airmet. After driving 3.5 hours to the big airport and the unwashed masses, I think I'll brave the turbulence next time.

I had a nice experience on American on my way back from Watertown. I used my blue retired USAF ID upon check in. When I placed my credit card on the counter for the $25 baggage fee, Roger the check in guy said, "you can put that away, I took care of it for you. That's the perk of having another retired military guy working here."

So thanks Roger, I'll remember that.

I just get uncomfortable when they say "thanks for your service." I have no answer and to say "you're welcome" is disingenuous, at least for me.

I always just say thank you. Don't hear it much though, but I don't advertise it either when I go out in public.

Flying commercial on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day is awesome. Never busy.

Another example — flying internationally from LA to Sydney Australia, departing Christmas Eve. Not many people want to miss Christmas Day entirely, and that’s pretty much what happens. You depart on the 24th, the 25th is reduced to only a few hours en route, due to the international date line. I slept right through Christmas Day, and arrived on the 26th. Sleeping was easy because seats were empty.

Back