I think it's time to quit Hertz

Chrisgoesflying

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisgoesflying
I know we have several car rental woe threats on here but my previous four experiences with Hertz just became more and more bizarre so here is another one.

First, I have been a Gold member with them for over a decade, usually had no issues with Hertz, renting cars from them once a month on average (more in the summer, less in the winter). But this has changed recently.

Case 1: Booked a car at the Hertz airport location several weeks in advance. When I get to the counter, I was informed that they had no cars available, despite my booking. They didn't even bother calling to let me know earlier that day. They offered that I could wait around the airport and MAYBE someone will bring back a car that night and I could have it. They also started educating me about how I should book a pre-paid rate, that way my car is 100% guaranteed since it's paid for. I was mad, obviously, and told them that since I haven't paid for the reservation in advance, I'll first check other agencies at the airport. The manager told me to not bother, the entire airport is booked out, even other agencies. I didn't believe him. I walked to the next counter, which was AVIS and sure enough, they had a car available and I drove off with an AVIS rental instead.

Case 2: Arrived at an airport where I didn't have a reservation in the late evening hours (10PM). Went to the Hertz counter asking for a car and was told they had nothing available but would have one in the morning. I said I will ask other agencies first and was told the same thing as in Case 1, not to bother because the airport is booked out. Didn't believe them, went to Enterprise and they had a car for me.

Case 3: Remember Case 1, I had to go back to that same location. Well, since they told me to book a pre-paid rate to guarantee my booking, I booked and pre-paid with Hertz three weeks in advance. I arrive at the Hertz counter to once again find out that they had no cars available. Similar to last time, they told me to stick around and MAYBE another car comes back in later in the evening but four people are in front of me already waiting. I told them to refund my pre-paid car and I'll go elsewhere. They said since it's pre-paid, they can't do it. I would have to wait and only if no car becomes available in the next 6 hours (it was 4PM and they wanted me to wait until they close at 10PM), I could call the customer service line and request a refund, plus, as usual, they told me to not bother with other agencies because they're also booked out. So, I asked them if the FBO had a Hertz car, as I know they usually have 1-2 Hertz cars on standby. Although I flew in commercially that day, I did have my plane parked at the FBO as I flew in with my plane to catch the commercial plane a few days prior, which I explained to the Hertz manager. He said that the FBO also doesn't have any cars (I think he didn't believe my story about having a plane sitting at the FBO to be honest). I didn't believe him, so I called the FBO and they told me that they have a car (same class I booked) in the lot and I could have it if I wanted it. They call the Hertz manager, telling him that I will get the car. So, I go back to the counter, call out the manager, mildly cursing at him and calling him a lier. He then instructs his staff to put together the contract, he went into the back room to hide, the staff gives me the paperwork and the FBO staff picked me up at the terminal.

I wish the story was over here, but it isn't. A few days later, I returned the car about 10 minutes prior to the deadline. Later that day, I get the receipt from Hertz showing I returned the car an hour late and they charged me for an extra hour. Luckily, I didn't actually depart that day due to weather and smoke so I just took an Uber back to the hotel. I had the Uber receipt showing the time the Uber driver picked me up, which was more than hour earlier than what the Hertz staff claimed I returned the car at. I wrote to some executives at Hertz (found their email addresses via LinkedIn), telling the above story, included the Uber receipt and a few days later, although no comment from anyone, I received a refund for the late return fee.

Case 4: I booked a Tesla (never drove one so wanted to try it out) with Hertz a few days in advance at an airport I had to go to for my Transponder and Altimeter recert. Pre-paid once again. I get to the counter and was informed that they don't have the Tesla available. The staff was nice enough, explained they only have one Tesla which was due that morning but the customer didn't return it. She upgraded me to a large SUV and all was good, so I thought.

I refuelled the car before I got back to the airport. However, as I arrived at the airport, there was a thunderstorm brewing up just west of the airport in my flight path so I decided to wait it out. Since the car wasn't due yet (actually it wasn't until the next morning), I took the car to Starbucks and then drove back to the Airport again. It was a grand total of 14 miles. The needle went from full to in between full and the first tick (7/8 full) so essentially I used 1/16th of the full tank.

When I get to the counter to return the car, another staff member was at the counter. Nobody was in front of me, but the employee was on the phone so I stayed back two steps from the counter, thinking he's on the phone with a client. Well, I quickly noticed that he is on his cell phone, speaking in Indian (or whatever their language is called). I step forward, he kept ignoring me for 5 full minutes while finishing up his personal call. When he hung up, no "sorry" or anything.

The staff went outside with me to check in the car and looked at the fuel level saying since I didn't fill it up, they will have to charge me $3.50 per liter to fill it up. I said that's fine. Later that day, I get my receipt with nearly $70 in fuel.

When I filled the car earlier that day, it was at the 7/8 full mark and all it took was less than 10 liters. In between the full and 7/8 mark, it should logically be even less than that. I once again wrote to the same executives at Hertz, telling the above story and once again, no comment from anyone, just today receiving a refund for the fuel.

So, long story short, I think Hertz lost me as their customer, at least until one of the other rental companies **** me off enough.

They all suck, but Hertz seems to be the worst right now. Feels like death throes.

Wasn't it John Cougar Mellonhead that sang, "Hertz so good?" :D

Firefox + AdGuard + AdBlocker = No YouTube ads, or any ads at all.
Get out of the Chromoverse!!
Or just the Brave browser, without having to bother with any of the other stuff.

National for life for me. I guess until Enterprise ruins them so bad that I can't stand them anymore.

The manager told me to not bother, the entire airport is booked out, even other agencies. I didn't believe him. I walked to the next counter, which was AVIS and sure enough, they had a car available and I drove off with an AVIS rental instead.

Don't you just hate it when people outright lie. We once asked a dealer to find us a specific vehicle in a manual transmission. The next day we happened to be in a town 30 miles away and stopped by a dealer and he had exactly what we wanted. While we were test driving it, I got a call from the first dealer telling me that he checked and there were none within 500 miles. I just loved telling him we were sitting in one 30 miles away.

Hertz gold plus for a long time, but prices are higher than a giraffe’s nose and service lower than a snake’s belly such that they’re no longer competitive for my business.

They all suck. And to add almost any service industry interaction I've had lately has sucked. Ever since the lockdown I've talked to more managers at restaurants about service than the previous 15 years combined.

I have had good luck with turo for rentals however.

If it’s not within a reasonable Uber ride,I’m not going there. Rental cars are just a pain. Customer service is not part of the process. You need them more than they need you. Just a thought.

Or just the Brave browser, without having to bother with any of the other stuff.

I do other things that requires Firefox.
How does that work? Seriously
Desktop: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Mobile get it from whichever store
After install and opening it for desktop click on the little puzzle looking piece in the upper right corner...
...manage extensions.
Should be under recommended, or you can search for them.
Similar for mobile version.

Boom. Done.

Firefox + AdGuard + AdBlocker = No YouTube ads, or any ads at all.
I use Pihole. No ads on any browser, and it cuts down on snooping by the Amazon devices as well.

I was (and still am) Herts Presidents Circle (or whatever they call their top tier). Avis sent me a status match offer about 15 years ago. I gave them a try at PHL (the worst airport on the planet to rent a car at). They gave me a BMW 5 series for an upgrade from mid size and their corporate rate was way under Hertz. They were and have been 100% better and they still honor my corporate rate after I've retired. I loathe Hertz

Well, since they told me to book a pre-paid rate to guarantee my booking, I booked and pre-paid with Hertz three weeks in advance. I arrive at the Hertz counter to once again find out that they had no cars available.

So, Hertz knows how to take reservations, but don't know how to hold reservations...

Happy to see one other old guy here...:lol::lol:
I grew up on Seinfeld. I was 2 when the episode first aired in '91. Doubt I remember the episode from that, but I guess I've graduated to old?

About four years ago I had my small child with me. I had reserved a car and a child seat. They had the car but not the seat, and just told me that reserving a child seat does not actually guarantee you one. Meaning that it would have been illegal for me to drive away in the rental.
I had to leave wife and kid there and drive to a WalMart to buy one, then come back.

IMPO, It all has to do with the person working the counter and whether are they willing to go the extra effort.

While back, I interviewed a young lady for a sales position. One of her former jobs was working for Marriott, where she taught new employees customer service and customer relations. As she put it, I had to teach common sense things. "The one issue she brought up is people don't know how to say, "I am sorry we made a mistake, let me see how I can fix this for you..."

You want 'old'? I still associate Hertz with O.J. running through the terminal ...

I would be trying to describe to some folks what it was like to jumpseat between Texas and Alaska every month.

When I would get to the part where I would say there were times I had to do the O.J. Simpson thing across the airport to get to a flight, folks would look at me strange and take a step back.... ''You would murder people at the airport.??...'' :nonod::lol:

Not that they are necessarily any better than the rest but I've always seemed to have reasonably good luck with National. YMMV.

I would be trying to describe to some folks what it was like to jumpseat between Texas and Alaska every month.

When I would get to the part where I would say there were times I had to do the O.J. Simpson thing across the airport to get to a flight, folks would look at me strange and take a step back.... ''You would murder people at the airport.??...'' :nonod::lol:

Do you own a Ford Bronco? :dunno:

You want 'old'? I still associate Hertz with O.J. running through the terminal ...

Generational gap stuff.

On a family trip with my kids we ended up with connecting gates on opposite ends of DEN, and very tight timing to make it.

I mentioned that we might have to do an O.J. to make it to the flight.

My kids were appalled at my comment.

<edit> I see Zeldman beat me to it!

IIRC Hertz was also in the aircraft rental biz. Cessna in the ‘50’s. Somewhere I have an ad.

Bellanca’s early ‘70’s.

I can remember when I was renting cars frequently, Hertz was the top of the heap. That was a long time ago… it sounds like they’re still at the top, just a heap of something else.

The last couple of cars I’ve rented have been through Sixt in the U.K.; they don’t suck. For anything else in the past 5 years or so it’s been Uber or the occasional taxi.

Sixt if its available, Avis otherwise. I tried Hertz on the last trip and the whole process felt scummy.

Sixt if its available, Avis otherwise. I tried Hertz on the last trip and the whole process felt scummy.
Haven't physically tried Sixt yet, but have a couple reservations pending for trips later this year. What's nice is they will status match Hertz President's Circle (maybe Gold, idk) and their prices are much lower. Also I like that I can pick "BMW or similar" rather than the standard rental fleet.

Back