I should have words, but I don't...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
My wife's brother committed suicide Friday evening. We were awakened Saturday morning by a phone call from my wife's mom. I've been on a lot of bad phone calls in my life, but I would very much be quite happy to never hear another one like that one.

As folks have dug in to figure out the story, it matches so many stories of this sort of thing. I'm not going to get into details now, maybe later. But I know this. His ex set out to destroy him, and succeeded. He had a role in it as well, of course.

Memorial looks to be on Friday, with a later interment at Ft. Logan National Cemetery.

He leaves behind two daughters who he hasn't seen or been able to communicate with (illegally), for years. He desperately wanted to be a part of their lives and a good father. I doubt they'll even be allowed to attend the funeral.

Ugh, sorry to hear this. My condolences to you, your wife, and the family.

Deepest condolences. Sorry to hear

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear. Thoughts with you and family.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I am sure there's a number of us here who have had someone close to us make that choice. Sometimes they are "the last person we could have imagined...". One most often doesn't know the full depth of the demons someone is coping with.

My sincere condolences to you, your wife and your family Nate.

Gotta be so hard on his mother, and sister, too. Anyone thinking about it, stop for a day, break your routine, maybe think on the pain that's gonna reverberate beyond you.

Sorry to hear. Sounds a lot like my brother's suicide. His ex wasn't set out to destroy him, but her divorcing him was enough. Combine that with depression and he had a hurtle in life that in his mind was insurmountable.

Condolences Nate. My wife's brother did that last year. People/relatives left behind are always the ones who suffer.

That's terrible, Nate. I'm bad with words of consolation and they always seem repetitive. Just know I'm truly sorry for the loss. Especially for your wife. Very sad, indeed.

Nate at a loss for words...the mind boggles. Sorry for your loss. Suicide never makes sense to others but it is relief for them.

Sorry to hear that Denverpilot, it is hard to figure the choices people make. He made the choice he did for the reason he did, on some level one must respect that. Condolences...

This is the worst possible way to lose a loved one.

Did someone do or say the wrong thing. Did someone miss a sign. That's all unknowable.

Best to focus on the blessing he was while in your life. Celebrate that. And hope that his decision brought him the peace he was looking for.

Prayers.

Condolences to you, your wife, and the extended family. I've said this before to many people, those closest don't see any signs and those removed aren't invested. Cannot see the tree through the forest. And most times, there aren't any we as nonprofessionals would see.

Sorry to hear of you and your wife's loss, Nate.

Similar situation in our family 27 years ago. Still feeling ramifications today. You can never make sense of the decision.

I got that phone call from the mom of my best friend.

Friends and family will spend a lot of time wondering, "How did I miss it?" and "What could I have done?" There are no answers, it's a tough break for you and your, and his, family. My best wishes to you all.

Sincerest condolences to you and your family. I can't even imagine the difficult call or grief. Prayers to you and your family.

Takes a special kind of evil person to try and purposely destroy someone's life like that. Very sad. Sorry to hear that, I hope his ex gets a taste of her own medicine.

When my son was in Boy Scouts, a scout in his troop also committed suicide. It's a difficult thing to accept and process. You and your family have my condolences.

To add insult to injury, we received word that my Great-Uncle Jack passed away today, too.

In his case, he lived a long and happy life, but it still makes for probably the worst Labor Day weekend anyone here has ever had. We all called him "Uncle Jack" and he was one of the nicest men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Things aren't great when you know you're going to be juggling funerals on your schedule.

Additionally we learned that one of our longest life-long friend's mom also was hospitalized this weekend, her body is shutting down from cancer...

And another friend's kid was arrested a few weeks back for an incredibly ridiculous charge, I won't go into here, that'll probably be tossed before a jury ever hears it... but our friend is having to pay an attorney to defend his kid... and we have known him since I was 18. I've known the kid since he was a pre-teen.

And I thought IT sucks sometimes. I think I'll take my little first world "problems" back after this weekend without much complaint. Sigh.

It has been a weekend, and it isn't over yet.

Back