I need a new video card

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Currently, I'm running a 3-monitor setup using the on-motherboard graphics "card" and the Pluggable USB to HDMI solution. That has worked for about 1 year, but a few issues are popping up that pushing me towards needing a better solution.

And my need for more monitor space is growing.

I'd like to hear suggestions on what GPU card to get. Various parameters are
  • Eventual expansion to 6 monitors, with minimum fuss, but minimum 4
  • Budget: $350 or less
  • Outputs: HDMI or DVI or both (this is what my monitors are now, I don't want to buy new ones just for connectivity)
  • Chipset: Don't care, as long as it's one of the mainstreams
  • Manufacturer: A known brand with good history
If I'm forgetting something that would help with the suggestions, ask.

6 monitors? WOW! I did not think one machine could handle that many.

Other than running possibly 3 AMD video cards, I am out of ideas. They usually have an HDMI and another HDMI like connector on them for two monitors.

David

I've got a GEForce GT740 that I've been happy with...

Oh, wait, I was first supposed to say "get a Mac".... :D:D

Would someone take pity on me and tell me why anyone would need to have 6 monitors.

Would someone take pity on me and tell me why anyone would need to have 6 monitors.

Could involve cole slaw, looking left, a Comanche Pilot, a Bryan pilot, a Sac Arrow or even a body bag the way POA has been goign lately. :D Other than that, I have no clue. or a flight simulator maybe? hmm....

David

Why do you have a problem with that? If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, please go elsewhere.

That's gonna be a lot of dongles.

I just wanted to say dongle.

Why do you have a problem with that? If you don't have anything constructive to contribute, please go elsewhere.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend nor do I have a problem with it. I really was more curious and wanted to learn what I was missing.

I like being able to have key programs running and in view all the time; I am at two monitors now, but am adding two more Real Soon Now. I get it.

Bet Mike is watching parts sourcing sites in real time. Just a guess, uneducated.

---

I remember when you'd walk into the office at a wrecking yard (we called them that, then, no offense, Mike), and you'd hear the constant monotone chatter of the leased-line parts line, people looking for parts, "Screaming chicken hood seventyone Trans-Am, Screaming chicken hood seventyone Trans-Am, Screaming chicken hood seventyone Trans-Am" and see the guy lunge for the phone to jump on and be the first to say, "I got one" and make the sale.

If you don't actually need all 6 monitors on one computer, have you considered getting an additional computer for the additional monitors you want to have?

With a fast network connection between multiple computers and some sort of remote desktop you could get multiple monitors without dealing with multiple keyboards (other than starting/setting up the extra computer(s)).

Depending on your video card and monitors, check out display port MST technology, most of the Dell U series monitors support this.

Multiple displays on single DisplayPort connector[edit]
DisplayPort 1.2 added support for Multi-Stream Transport (MST), enabling multiple monitors to be used via a single DisplayPort connector. This function requires either monitors that are capable of DisplayPort 1.2 daisy-chaining, or use of a DisplayPort MST Hub. The first MST hub became available in September 2013, enabling up to 3 displays to be connected to a single DisplayPort connector.[

I like being able to have key programs running and in view all the time; I am at two monitors now, but am adding two more Real Soon Now. I get it.

Bet Mike is watching parts sourcing sites in real time. Just a guess, uneducated.
And more. The list is expanding to: Car auctions, order manager (making sure I'm meeting commercial customer order commitments), new phone system that has PC Workstation tie-ins, accounting package, inventory of new cars, etc.

Having these windows hidden by other windows is a pain. Eventually having all this up so that I can maintain situational awareness by glancing should help improve my work efficiency.

I asked for 6 to had room for expansion. I have 3 now and could use a 4th easily. A 5th would be ideal.

Screens along the bottom row will be for the "active" work. Upper level for monitoring of various activities.

What caused the question in the first place is something about my current bubble-gum-bailing-wire setup is causing one of the 3 to go offline periodically. I can limp okay with 2... but once you've had the extra desktop space, it's addicting.

I remember when you'd walk into the office at a wrecking yard (we called them that, then, no offense, Mike), and you'd hear the constant monotone chatter of the leased-line parts line, people looking for parts, "Screaming chicken hood seventyone Trans-Am, Screaming chicken hood seventyone Trans-Am, Screaming chicken hood seventyone Trans-Am" and see the guy lunge for the phone to jump on and be the first to say, "I got one" and make the sale.

We had one of the hoot-n-holler lines too. And it worked for the tech of its day. Now that's all internet based.

I joined the biz in 1995 when all we had was the holler lines, Wyse-60 dumb terminals, and a "server" machine with a 486 chip.

It's extremely fascinating how my industry has adopted different info techs and made them a successful part of our business.

Last edited:
Mike, I have a video card that I will be retiring soon. I am currently at work so I do not know what exact brand and model it is or whether it supports 2 or 3 monitors. I will get you the information when I get home.

Back