I Like Guns

I'm guessing even with our second amendment rights, it would be tough to find a functioning privately owned RPG in the US :D

Mmmm.... Not really. Does Shotgun News still exist? They aren't advertised directly, but typically there are (or were quite a few years ago actually) a few people with multiple listings in the classifieds and maybe a box ad for bulk military ammo that can set you up. The ones I knew you'd be looking for a Montana prefix. You do need to know a few names though.

About the only person that tries to claim a Glock is DAO is Glock. For all intents and purposes they shoot like a single action only gun. If there is a round in the chamber of a Glock the striker is mostly cocked. When you fire the striker moves a little further back but barely.

When you say SA, I assume you mean Springfield Armory. Their XD line is single action only. The striker is always cocked. To fire the striker is simply released, it doesn't pull back a little further like a glock does.

To me it appears the rage is moving more towards single action only designs.

I just don't see a reason for it. I see no advantage to a DA/SA gun versus a single action only Springfield XD. The less steps required from draw to fire, the more I prefer the gun. A XD only has one condition you carry it in, chambered and cocked.

The advantage to a DA/SA system is 2 fold:
1- It can be stored hammer down on a round, and not require cocking. I have no attachment to this, and think it is a little foolish, but some like it.

2- More importantly, it has 'second chance' ability, which the US military apparently found important when shopping. Basically, if you drop the hammer on a 'bad' primer, you can try again without cocking.

Mmmm.... Not really. Does Shotgun News still exist? They aren't advertised directly, but typically there are (or were quite a few years ago actually) a few people with multiple listings in the classifieds and maybe a box ad for bulk military ammo that can set you up. The ones I knew you'd be looking for a Montana prefix. You do need to know a few names though.

Well I shoulda figured that Henning would know someone who could get me an RPG :D.

2- More importantly, it has 'second chance' ability, which the US military apparently found important when shopping. Basically, if you drop the hammer on a 'bad' primer, you can try again without cocking.
If I drop the hammer on a round and the round does not fire - I have no interest in trying again. I'll be spending that time chambering a new round.

If I drop the hammer on a round and the round does not fire - I have no interest in trying again. I'll be spending that time chambering a new round.

When shopping around for a replacement to the 1911, the US military thought differently. I can see definite advantages, particularly in the heat of battle. If you are just pulling the trigger over and over and it just doesn't fire once, it'll take longer to rack-tap-bang than if it goes off on the second strike.

I personally don't care either way. Centerfire ammo is reliable these days, i don't think I've ever had a problem that was fixed by pulling the trigger again. I own both a SAO and a SA/DA (1911 and a CZ-75), and like both equally.

So is this SA/DA debate the gun equivalent of High vs Low wing????

Sounds like. I have an SA/DA on my Sphinx and like it just fine. Cock the hammar and the trigger is light smooth and predictable. Even in DA you can still get a combat accurate shot off.

This thread has me wanting a P22 with laser sight. Actually went and held one today - nice gun!

Allan

The P22 *is* a nice feel in your hand, although IMHO it's actually too light for decent target shooting. It's great for Mary's hand, though, and certainly easy to conceal.

I still like my 9mm better. Best of all, I can shoot the P22 all day for less than what it costs to shoot for 30 minutes with the S&W.

Hehe - good comparison!

Bottom line is that you do what works for you. That's all that matters. Some people like single-action, some like double-action; some like revolvers, some like automatics; some like it hot, some like it not; so forth and so on.

Whatever you're most comfortable with. Personal preferences.

Sounds like. I have an SA/DA on my Sphinx and like it just fine. Cock the hammar and the trigger is light smooth and predictable. Even in DA you can still get a combat accurate shot off.

What's a Sphinx????

Agreed that a good DA/SA is a proven combination. The push to SA-only is driven by less-trained, less-gun-savvy recruits in Law Enforcement.

What's a Sphinx????

Its a Swiss made CZ-75 clone of excellent quality.

Agreed that a good DA/SA is a proven combination. The push to SA-only is driven by less-trained, less-gun-savvy recruits in Law Enforcement.

I would only add that a good SA only pistol like the 1911 or Browning Hi Power is a very proven combination with the potential for the best triggers going, especially on the 1911.

Its a Swiss made CZ-75 clone of excellent quality.

OK -- thanks!

I would only add that a good SA only pistol like the 1911 or Browning Hi Power is a very proven combination with the potential for the best triggers going, especially on the 1911.

I suppose I should be more specific -- I meant the new crop of "SA only" such as the new DAK by H&K, Glock Style, and SIG. These triggers have long creep, higher pulls, and are simply not as smooth as a true DA/SA with a hammer.

What's a Sphinx????

sphinx_2000_1.jpg

SA/DA argument is just for getting warmed up. The real argument is which caliber to select. Of course it's a stupid argument 'cause everyone with at least half a brain knows that 45 is the way to go.:D

Very nice!!!
But is there a smaller version? ---- Maybe called the Sphinx-ster:rofl: in a .380 maybe.
Sorry -- some idiot was going to say it, I thought I'd do the honors:blush:

I CC like some of the others. My heart is in my 1911's. I like all of them. I carry a Colt Officer with a little comfort and trigger work. I also cross over to the "Dark" side every now and then. Depending on mood and place. I have a .45 acp M30 and a .40 M27 this little puppy will fit anywhere. The full-size M22's are just to big to conceal easy.
My "main squeeze" is my 1911 Colt lightweight Commander. I have had an accuracy job with a lot of other work. Clark Custom Guns did all of the work while doing their Meltdown dehorn. The gun has a brushed hard chrome finish. Don't even get me going on long guns. My son and I love guns too.
DSC_0744.jpg
DSC_0742.jpg

John

Last edited:
Santa brought me a new Armalite M-15 NM:target:, been wanting one of those for years. I can hardly wait for the weather to warm up and break it in.
Now to go shop for all those accessories:rolleyes:.

So just out of curiosity, and being a southpaw. Did any gun manufaturer actually make a lfet handed version of their semi auto pistol? I don't mean just left handed safeties etc, I mean a left side ejector port and all.

So just out of curiosity, and being a southpaw. Did any gun manufaturer actually make a lfet handed version of their semi auto pistol? I don't mean just left handed safeties etc, I mean a left side ejector port and all.

Nope, you're relegated to being a freak....

My "main squeeze" is my 1911 Colt lightweight Commander. I have had an accuracy job with a lot of other work. Clark Custom Guns did all of the work while doing their Meltdown dehorn. The gun has a brushed hard chrome finish. Don't even get me going on long guns. My son and I love guns too.
DSC_0744.jpg
DSC_0742.jpg

John

That's quite a meltdown job...makes a Kimber Ultra RCP look positively square.

Vontresc,

The Walther P-5 has a left handed ejection port and is ambi friendly. Other ambi friendly guns are the HK P7, and CZ-85B.

While Walther P-5's have been discontinued for years, they are now coming in in good numbers as German polic trade ins. Most are in excellent condition and the prices have come way down on them. I would highly recommend this gun to anyone, not just lefties.

Last edited:

Pete
There are right handed people and there are -------wrong handed people.:D

Well I like being sinister :D

And I only own lefty friendly firearms.
Rem 700 BDL
Browning 12 Ga BPS
Belgian 12 Ga double

Well I like being sinister :D

And I only own lefty friendly firearms.
Rem 700 BDL
Browning 12 Ga BPS
Belgian 12 Ga double

Everybody is born right handed. Only a select few overcome the handicap. :D

Savage 110CL (left hand bolt)
Mossberg 500A 12 Ga (safety is under the thumb, works for either)

Everybody is born right handed. Only a select few overcome the handicap. :D

Savage 110CL (left hand bolt)
Mossberg 500A 12 Ga (safety is under the thumb, works for either)

Hey, isn't that like "all babies are all born male, and when the Doctor holds them upside down and spanks them ,the "weinie's" fall off the dumb one's.:yesnod:

Sorry girls ---JUST KIDDING:blush:

Is anyone interested in a Colt .45 Combat Elite?
4295030523_011b65720f.jpg

I haven't had any luck even priced at well below market value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hummmmmm,

Those are all "Girley" guns.....

I carry a Smith & Wesson 500:D

And how often do you practice with your personal hand cannon? :rolleyes:

If you look back to the first personal firearms in Europe (we're talking mid-15th century or so), they were called hande cannonef(I felt obligated to use an "f" instead of an "s" :)).

I don't know why I bring that up, other than that it made me happy the first time I heard it.

If you look back to the first personal firearms in Europe (we're talking mid-15th century or so), they were called hande cannonef(I felt obligated to use an "f" instead of an "s" :)).

I don't know why I bring that up, other than that it made me happy the first time I heard it.

Of course! The mechanism worked exactly the same as the larger, more expensive forebears.

Handguns were not practical for ready carry until cartidges, however.

Is anyone interested in a Colt .45 Combat Elite?
4295030523_011b65720f.jpg

I haven't had any luck even priced at well below market value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure I can't afford it, but I'll bite...how much?

:yikes: :rofl:

There ya go- proof that guns don't make you sexy... not even a Wii guitar controller can make you sexy (if you aren't to begin with). :D

Holy bleep - that is a Wii guitar, isn't it! I hadn't looked that closely before (out of concern for my sanity).

Ha. Hahahahahahahahahahaha. That is just...wonderful. :D :D

Hummmmmm,

Those are all "Girley" guns.....

I carry a Smith & Wesson 500:D

Wimpy I say! Go for the one true crew served hand cannon, the Desert Eagle 10" in 50AE.

Wimpy I say! Go for the one true crew served hand cannon, the Desert Eagle 10" in 50AE.

The .500 S&W is a more powerful round than the 50 AE.

Having shot both, I'd still take a nice suppressible 1911, or CZ-75 over the Desert Eagle any day.

Back