I Like Guns

Ed,

If you want a .45 and .22, get a quality 1911 and a Marvel .22 adaptor to fit on it. They work great and are competition accurate.

Regarding legal carry. Its not the flying part that will get you, its the landing part. Stay out of states like NY, CT, NJ, MA, CA, IL, etc unless the firearm is carried in such a manner (locked, unloaded, seperated from ammo) in which some states demand. Even then you still could be in violation. Check state AND LOCAL laws as some cities are even more restrictive.

Last edited:
Ed,

If you want a .45 and .22, get a quality 1911 and a Marvel .22 adaptor to fit on it. They work great and are competition accurate.

I'll be happy to sell you my Marvel jam-o-matic. It's very picky on ammo. Some brands it likes and others, well, it jams a lot.

The Marvel design is okay, but, but...maybe 22 ammo production QC is lousy.

Anyway, get a Ruger or a CZ and be happy.

:eek:

As long as you like Soviet-style clunk factor, sure!

I'm ecstatically happy with my recent addition -- a Sig P229 in 9mm. :yesnod:

Hey, a Ruger 22 is most definitely not clunky. And my CZ 97B is "substantial" not clunky at all...(that's my story and I'ma stickin' toit).

On a side note, 9 mm is for kids - it bounces off of saran wrap. Get a 357 Sig if you really have to have that something in 9.:D

Last edited:
On a side note, 9 mm is for kids - it bounces off of saran wrap. Get a 357 Sig if you really have to have that something in 9.:D

OY!!!! :rofl:

You trying to start a high wing/ low wing fight?

How about this -- have someone shoot you in the leg with a 9mm and then show us where the bullet bounced off.... :rolleyes:

OY!!!! :rofl:

You trying to start a high wing/ low wing fight?

How about this -- have someone shoot you in the leg with a 9mm and then show us where the bullet bounced off.... :rolleyes:

Which leg?

Well, this will take awhile. I'll have to figure out how much saran wrap I need to safely complete this little evolution.

Tell ya what, I'll get back to you on this one. In the mean time argue about high wing/low wing or 9 mm vs 45. Okay?

:eek:

As long as you like Soviet-style clunk factor, sure!

I'm ecstatically happy with my recent addition -- a Sig P229 in 9mm. :yesnod:

Ruger semi-auto's except for the MK II (now MK III - yuck) are big and clunky, but very reliable. Please do not put CZ's in the same category. They are wonderfully designed pistols, both aesthically and functionally. They put Sigs to shame at a lower (but rising) price point and yes I have several examples of both. The Sigs are for sale.

Ruger semi-auto's except for the MK II (now MK III - yuck) are big and clunky, but very reliable. Please do not put CZ's in the same category. They are wonderfully designed pistols, both aesthically and functionally. They put Sigs to shame at a lower (but rising) price point and yes I have several examples of both. The Sigs are for sale.

Aww, come on -- I've tried a CZ and my less than Gorilla hands weren't up to the challenge. The Sig fits me (well, every SIG) like a well-worn shoe. :yesnod:

Jam-free, shoots where I point it, and has the sweetest DA/SA trigger I've ever pulled on a handgun.

(FWIW, I absolutely hate the new DA only triggers :frown2:)

Aww, come on -- I've tried a CZ and my less than Gorilla hands weren't up to the challenge. The Sig fits me (well, every SIG) like a well-worn shoe. :yesnod:

Jam-free, shoots where I point it, and has the sweetest DA/SA trigger I've ever pulled on a handgun.

If'n ya wanta pistol that shoots where you point it, go for the Springfield XD. I still think that design is unreal. Even an anti-gun nazi will shoot it to point of aim.:D

Last edited:
Ya'll need to come out to Vegas this week. You'd just love the SHOT show :D

If'n ya wanta pistol that shots where you point it, go for the Springfield XD. I still think that design is unreal. Even an anti-gun nazi will shoot it to point of aim.:D

A friend bought one and we spent some time at an indoor range.

For some reason the XD grip ate up the web between my thumb and forefinger.

:dunno:

Sure would be fun... but guns indoors feels somehow wrong to me. Kinda like airplanes on display.

Although I agree with the sentiment, we would almost never shoot if we didn't shoot indoors.

Between darkness and cold weather, our outdoor range is less-than useful most of the time.

The cool thing about the SHOT show is that you can see everything. All the manufacturers are there and they have all their brand new stuff. It's always interesting to see what's new.

Although I agree with the sentiment, we would almost never shoot if we didn't shoot indoors.

Between darkness and cold weather, our outdoor range is less-than useful most of the time.

I only ever shoot on weekends in winter -- but when it's really cold the session is abbreviated. :eek:

Auto target movers sure is nice, though... :yesnod:

If'n ya wanta pistol that shoots where you point it, go for the Springfield XD. I still think that design is unreal. Even an anti-gun nazi will shoot it to point of aim.:D
I love my XD. I have no interest in SA/DA pistols. I don't see the advantage in the confusion. The XD's single action only design is as simple as it gets. I like simple, especially when I'm likely to be rather stressed.

For some reason the XD grip ate up the web between my thumb and forefinger.
Weird. I've never heard that before. Do you shoot thumbs straight or thumb-over-thumb? I've never had an issue but I always shoot thumbs straight.

Weird. I've never heard that before. Do you shoot thumbs straight or thumb-over-thumb? I've never had an issue but I always shoot thumbs straight.

Mostly thumb over thumb (I do change grips and positions during practice).

I have ridiculously sensitive skin -- never develop callous mp mater how much mason work, tree cutting, or fence post digging, and blister easy (unless I wear thin polypro liner under wool socks). I would have been shot as a bourgeoisie by the Communists, certainly. :eek:

I prefer the SIG grip as it fits my hand and has no ridges. The Glock was too blocky and a 1911 never felt good in my hand.

:dunno:

Carrying would be an issue. I would suspect that any state in which you land you would have to be in compliance with all vehicle-type laws. The FOPA's safe passage law would protect you against weapons in the plane under certain provisions (not carried, etc): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_passage.22_provision

Actually carrying I wouldn't do without a CCW that is valid in the state.

But, I am not a lawyer.

The bottom line, if you're worried about legality, is to follow the Federal law regarding the transport of firearms (yet be familiar with the laws where you are or are going, as well). I'm going from memory here (which should show you my level of concern), but I believe that you've got to do the following: 1) unloaded firearm in a locked container; 2) ammunition in a separate container; and 3) both are in locations that aren't readily accessible (a trunk in a car, for instance).

I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it's the gist of it.

Keep in mind that in some locations, you're looking at mandatory sentences for possession of handguns. "Mandatory" meaning that, if I'm the judge and you're convicted, I must send you to the DOC - things like probation, community service, or any other "sentence alternatives" are off the table.

If anybody has any serious questions about carrying firearms in particular states, feel free to shoot me a PM - I can at least you point you in the right direction. I'd hate to see anyone get in trouble even though acting in good faith. Surprisingly, the laws in most states regarding the issue are actually comprehensible - the hardest part is finding them in the books.

As for the .45 v. 9mm v. .357 v. ad infinitum debate, it seems to me that unless you're in grizzly country, you'll be fine with any of them. It's all personal preference and whatever you can shoot the best. I'd rather have a .22 that I knew I could hit something with than a .44 magnum that I couldn't hit anything with.

If dealing with zombies, I'd want a machete. You don't have to reload a machete.

Last edited:
For those interested, here's the Federal law:

18 U.S.C. s. 926A said:
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I was...close. :)

CZ's are not DAO. Shoot what you feel comfortable with. Sigs are fine guns, but I find them chunky with a high bore axis that promotes more muzzle flip than I like. My P228 sits in the safe while my CZ-75D PCR gets carried and shot. CZ's are ergonomically superb. If they don't fit you, they don't fit you, stick with the Sig.

CZ's are not DAO. Shoot what you feel comfortable with. Sigs are fine guns, but I find them chunky with a high bore axis that promotes more muzzle flip than I like. My P228 sits in the safe while my CZ-75D PCR gets carried and shot. CZ's are ergonomically superb. If they don't fit you, they don't fit you, stick with the Sig.

I was referring to DAO triggers that have become the rage of late.... H&K, Sig S&W, SA, have all followed Glock.

I don't get how a DA/SA is so "complicated." If I'm in a situation that I need to draw, the hammer's coming back. If I don't have time to pull the hammer, the first shot is gonna be a hip shot anyway.

I was referring to DAO triggers that have become the rage of late.... H&K, Sig S&W, SA, have all followed Glock.

I don't get how a DA/SA is so "complicated." If I'm in a situation that I need to draw, the hammer's coming back. If I don't have time to pull the hammer, the first shot is gonna be a hip shot anyway.

Got it. I don't like DAO either. All my semi autos are either SA only like my 1911's or BHP's or DA/SA like the Sig P228, CZ-75 series, etc.

Its another idiot/least common denominator function dictated mostly by the LEO community who are forced to hire whatever people the city politicians want.

DAO is fine in revolvers, but I much prefer SA, Condition 1, Cocked & Locked in an auto. JMB got it right in 1911...as Joyce knows!

DAO is fine in revolvers, but I much prefer SA, Condition 1, Cocked & Locked in an auto. JMB got it right in 1911...as Joyce knows!

I love JMB's 50 cal but the 1911 worship is a bit over the top. There were several changes made to the original Browning design -- and the 1911 continues to flourish since it can be improved and enhanced.

The only thing that would really improve or enhance my Springfield Mil-Spec would be a set of CT laser grips like I have on my S&W 642 J-frame carry gun. Ambi safeties, beavertails and the like are just competition fluff IMHO.

The only thing that would really improve or enhance my Springfield Mil-Spec would be a set of CT laser grips like I have on my S&W 642 J-frame carry gun. Ambi safeties, beavertails and the like are just competition fluff IMHO.

Speaking of laser sights, we just got back from the range. Wow, is the Walther P22 laser sight cool. Two seconds to install on the pistol. Three minutes to adjust the sight to perfection with an allen wrench. Put the little red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger -- *poof* -- there's a hole.

Here's what it looks like: http://www.spentbrass.com/pistol/walther/p22/review.php The removable laser sight is that thing that slides/snaps on below the barrel directly in front of the trigger guard. (Scroll down to see what the pistol looks like without it.)

It's a beautifully engineered piece of kit. Man, it's just hard to beat the Germans for workmanship.

Speaking of laser sights, we just got back from the range. Wow, is the Walther P22 laser sight cool. Two seconds to install on the pistol. Three minutes to adjust the sight to perfection with an allen wrench. Put the little red dot on the target and squeeze the trigger -- *poof* -- there's a hole.

Here's what it looks like: http://www.spentbrass.com/pistol/walther/p22/review.php The removable laser sight is that thing that slides/snaps on below the barrel directly in front of the trigger guard. (Scroll down to see what the pistol looks like without it.)

It's a beautifully engineered piece of kit. Man, it's just hard to beat the Germans for workmanship.

This thread has me wanting a P22 with laser sight. Actually went and held one today - nice gun!

Allan

About the only person that tries to claim a Glock is DAO is Glock. For all intents and purposes they shoot like a single action only gun. If there is a round in the chamber of a Glock the striker is mostly cocked. When you fire the striker moves a little further back but barely.

When you say SA, I assume you mean Springfield Armory. Their XD line is single action only. The striker is always cocked. To fire the striker is simply released, it doesn't pull back a little further like a glock does.

To me it appears the rage is moving more towards single action only designs.

dmccormack said:
I just don't see a reason for it. I see no advantage to a DA/SA gun versus a single action only Springfield XD. The less steps required from draw to fire, the more I prefer the gun. A XD only has one condition you carry it in, chambered and cocked.

Last edited:
About the only person that tries to claim a Glock is DAO is Glock. For all intents and purposes they shoot like a single action only gun. If there is a round in the chamber of a Glock the striker is mostly cocked. When you fire the striker moves a little further back but barely.

When you say SA, I assume you mean Springfield Armory. Their XD line is single action only. The striker is always cocked. To fire the striker is simply released, it doesn't pull back a little further like a glock does.

To me it appears the rage is moving more towards single action only designs.

Sorta single action -- try a handgun with a good SA trigger (hammer back) and then try any of the so-called "SA-only" -- no comparison. :frown2:

Sorta single action -- try a handgun with a good SA trigger (hammer back) and then try any of the so-called "SA-only" -- no comparison. :frown2:
I don't know why you would say a XD is sort of single action. It is single action, the striker is fulled cocked. When you pull the trigger a little piece blocking the striker is moved out of the way and the striker releases and the gun fires.

The differences in the triggers is just that, the trigger. Doesn't have much to do with it having a hammer or not having a hammer.

I don't know why you would say a XD is sort of single action. It is single action, the striker is fulled cocked. When you pull the trigger a little piece blocking the striker is moved out of the way and the striker releases and the gun fires.

The differences in the triggers is just that, the trigger. Doesn't have much to do with it having a hammer or not having a hammer.

Is there a trigger safety on the XD?

What's the pull weight?

How far do you have to pull?

Is there a single, short action or is it interrupted by a hitch as the safety is displaced?

Seriously -- try a good revolver or tradition DA/SA trigger and then compare to any of the SA only triggers.

Is there a trigger safety on the XD?
The XD has the glock like trigger safety which does absolutely nothing in my opinion. It also has a grip safety (like a 1911) which is why I prefer it over a Glock.

Back