I ****ing Hate United

I will do almost anything to avoid airline travel. Obviously, flying to HI, or time critical trip, and i have to. I like to think of my airplane as a highly exclusive airline:

You know everyone on the flight
Every seat is a window seat
Your luggage always makes it, since you load it yourself
No one feels your junk

:D

Steve

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had any problems with airlines. Sure I've the usual mechanical or weather delay but other than that the airlines have been pleasant. Considering you can get anywhere in the world in about 24 hours or less, it's a pretty darn good form of travel.

Delta isn't a "legacy carrier"? LOL!

They are. And if you dont have one of the higher levels of frequent flyer status, they charge you an arm and a leg to change your flight to an open seat on an earlier flight (even if your doing so potentially opens up a seat on that later flight that they could sell to a walkup customer).

Last edited:
I flew two legs today. No wait at security. Got 'expedited screening' and went through the magnetometer instead of the ATD. First leg in business, a longish layover doing work in the airline club and the second leg in a economy+ bulkhead seat. My rollaboard bag is designed to fit into the overhead in a CRJ200 so the only time I have to give it up is if I am one of the last to board.
Oh, and everyone was polite and professional and put up with my grouchy self :) .

They are. And if you dont have one of the higher levels of frequent flyer status, they charge you an arm and a leg to change your flight to an open seat on an earlier flight, even if your doing so potentially opens up a seat on that later flight that they could sell to a walkup customer.

Hence the reason most airlines are running in the RED......:mad2:

Hence the reason most airlines are running in the RED......:mad2:

Except for one.

SWA also gives their gate agents more latitude to be nice to customers. When I used them more, I frequently changed to earlier flights without paying the differential to the full-fare ticket.

I'm also one of those who's never had an issue flying. I've experienced a few delays, but things happen. I just deal with it instead of crying about it.

Now the TSA, sometimes they get me irritated.

Got home from FRA on Friday. We were 20 minutes late getting into ORD. I made my connection to SEA (barely). My bag did not. It arrived in SEA on the next flight. Of course, my wife and I were half way across the state by then. No problem. UA put the bag on AS to PUW. Went out to the airport at 11:15 pm and picked it up. Worked fine. Thanks, UA.

Got home from FRA on Friday. We were 20 minutes late getting into ORD. I made my connection to SEA (barely). My bag did not. It arrived in SEA on the next flight. Of course, my wife and I were half way across the state by then. No problem. UA put the bag on AS to PUW. Went out to the airport at 11:15 pm and picked it up. Worked fine. Thanks, UA.

That sounds suspiciously like good service. Good for them.

USAir (as they were then known) once hired a taxicab to bring bags to my wife and me, in eastern Long Island. Cannot imagine what it must have cost!

Honestly I avoid commercial airlines like the plague.

That sounds suspiciously like good service. Good for them.

The other option was for them to deliver it to my house, an hour or more drive to the south. I think this was actually a less expensive option for UA. Worked better for me, too.

Sometimes they do give good service: A year or so ago I flew from LA to Charlotte NC, I believe it was on United. My connection, and I do not remember where it was, was a little tight, and my bags did not make the connection.

My ultimate destination was Charleston South Carolina. I drove a rental car from Charlotte to Charleston. If I recall correctly it's about a 3 Hour Drive from Charlotte to Chareston.

When my bag finally showed up United had to drive my bag all the way from Charlotte to Charleston. The bag was delivered about two hours after I arrived in Charleston.

Little inconvenient but it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southwest is just BARELY a REAL airline. If you like to travel with trailer park people then by all means knock yourself out.

The irony in what is written above is that, of all the airlines, Southwest has perhaps the most business-friendly policies (especially relating to change policies), and the carrier built its success on business travelers. They pay better than any other carrier, their finances are a study in responsible management, and they've managed to do all thus without sticking a raft of creditors with a haircut in bankruptcy court. For a while after 9/11, SWA's market cap was greater than the entire rest of the airline industry- combined.

I can't fly 'em to Australia or Europe (yet), and I still prefer flying myself, but of I must fly commercial, I prefer to go with the guys most likely to get me there on time, when I want, and that always seems to be Southwest.

Man, you need to lossen that double breasted coat before you hurt yourself. FWIW, when you weren't looking, Southwest became a major player.

As for safety, both Delta and Southwest have had their moments.

Yep, Delta has had it's "moments". 302 fatalities spread over 11 airframe losses.

Southwest has had 2 fatalities spread over 2 airframe losses.

As far as the snarky comment about "traveling with trailer park people" I take it Art never looks in the cabin of his DL flights. :rolleyes:

Some one thinks I am an airline. I got the new fee proposals in the mail today:

$100 on time departure fee. $25 delay complaint fee.

View seating-formerly window seat. ticket + $10
Access seating-formerly aisle seat, ticket +$10

$20 fee to use the air stairs to enter or exit the aircraft in lieu of the no charge rope ladder alternative.

$9 fee for bumping your head on the overhead bin as you take your seat; additional $3 fee for looking up at the bin after you bump into it.

Proposed change to the safety briefing:

In the unlikely event of loss of cabin pressurization, oxygen mask will drop down. To start the flow of oxygen, simply insert your credit card....

If you disagree with any of these new fees, write your congressman and let him or her know your displeasure.

Back