I forgot what I disclosed in last medical

O

ooops I guess

I'm a long time poster on this forum but considering the topic I'm discussing, I rather stay anonymous. I'm soon due for my next (second) medical exam. Five years go by quick when you're having fun. Anyhow, I'm healthy, and haven't had any issues since the last medical (knock on wood it stays this way). In my entire life, I had to deal with two medical issues.

1. I had my appendix removed when I was like 7 years old.
2. I broke my leg when I was like 6 years old.

So, both "issues" happened 30ish years ago. I don't even consider them "issues". My leg healed perfectly, I even went on to play college basketball. My appendix, I don't think I miss it in any way. Since both of these issues are so insignificant to me, I'm not sure if I even disclosed them in my last medical. I may have, I may have not. I just can't remember. Obviously, I should be consistent with my answers from the previous medical. Is there any way for me to check my answers from my past medical exam? If I did omit them, should I now disclose them or does this open a can of worms I really shouldn't be opening?

By the way, the form is kinda stupid... One question asks if I have ever been unconscious. I sleep about 6-8 hours a day and when I sleep, I really sleep - there could be a construction site right next to my bed, I won't hear it... So technically speaking, I'd have to answer "yes" to that question...

Fractures (that don't land you in the hospital) aren't reported anywhere unless they happened in the past three years.

You probably should have reported the appendectomy and you can do it on the next one. It's not going to be a big issue.

I think I told you the same thing on the reddit flying sub. You should fill out the form TRUTHFULLY to the best of your ability at the time you're actually making the application WITHOUT REGARD to trying to lie your way around previous omissions or admissions.

Sleeping is not unconsciousness (medically).

Is there any way for me to check my answers from my past medical exam? If I did omit them, should I now disclose them or does this open a can of worms I really shouldn't be opening?
The answer to the question is yes, there is a way to check.

You can contact OKC and request a copy of your records. You can get a copy of your previous medical application. Hopefully someone who has done it recently can provide the process/point of contact. It’s been over 15 years since I did it.

You can contact OKC and request a copy of your records. You can get a copy of your previous medical application. Hopefully someone who has done it recently can provide the process/point of contact. It’s been over 15 years since I did it.
Your AME can pull the records while you’re in the office.

and if you use the same AME, he can pull it up at the time of the medical and help you enter data into your current application.

Fractures (that don't land you in the hospital) aren't reported anywhere unless they happened in the past three years.

You probably should have reported the appendectomy and you can do it on the next one. It's not going to be a big issue.

I think I told you the same thing on the reddit flying sub. You should fill out the form TRUTHFULLY to the best of your ability at the time you're actually making the application WITHOUT REGARD to trying to lie your way around previous omissions or admissions.

Sleeping is not unconsciousness (medically).

agree. the sleep question does not even deserve an answer! lol

I had a yearly physical (of various kinds) for the 20+ years that I spent in uniform and had to fill out the same medical questionnaire each time. I do not think there were 2 that looked the same.

The bar is set at: "to the best of your knowledge..." Unless you lied about previous illicit drug use, it shouldn't be a problem.

In the old paper days, mine used to hand me a copy of the old when they handed me the new to fill out.
So did mine. He'd put it right on the clipboard with the blank application for the new one.

The FAA medical application really hasn't changed since it switched from the paper 8500-8 to MEDEXPRESS. About the only thing is they now ask you if you're a revenue airman so they can throw you under the bus if you're a recreational flyer. Even over the years I was filling out paper forms, the only real things that seemed to tweaked were the questions on prior arrests/convictions/motor vehicle actions. Fortunately, the answer was still NO for me.

I always save a pdf copy of my Medexpress application to reference for future use, just to make sure I'm at least consistent. Its easy to forget some of those reportable medical things from years past, even though inconsequential today. I sure don't want my medical getting held up by OKC over an inadvertent omission.

agree. the sleep question does not even deserve an answer! lol

I think what they mean by "unconscious" is if you passed out unexpectedly in a manner that could be relevant for flight safety, but I could be wrong. The question is valid, nevertheless. If you fell asleep at the wheel of a car, does that count as unconscious? I would consider that to be somewhat relevant to flight safety. What if you were sedated by a dentist for a root canal?

I was hit by a car the summer after 8th grade, broke a leg, tons of stitches, in the hospital for a week. I put the broken leg on my 1st medical and the doc asked me about it and which leg and my response was - "uh... hmmmm... to be honest, it was so long ago, I'm not even sure which leg it was..." That was the only question he had.

I think what they mean by "unconscious" is if you passed out unexpectedly in a manner that could be relevant for flight safety, but I could be wrong. The question is valid, nevertheless. If you fell asleep at the wheel of a car, does that count as unconscious? I would consider that to be somewhat relevant to flight safety. What if you were sedated by a dentist for a root canal?

Falling asleep unexpectedly is narcolepsy, which I would believe to be a seriously disqualifying condition. Falling asleep because you've been driving for 24 hours straight is bad judgment, which is not required to be reported, unless it has another associated outcome.

So did mine. He'd put it right on the clipboard with the blank application for the new one.

The FAA medical application really hasn't changed since it switched from the paper 8500-8 to MEDEXPRESS. About the only thing is they now ask you if you're a revenue airman so they can throw you under the bus if you're a recreational flyer. Even over the years I was filling out paper forms, the only real things that seemed to tweaked were the questions on prior arrests/convictions/motor vehicle actions. Fortunately, the answer was still NO for me.

I have a class three medical so no commercial privileges but I am a CFI so not sure if the FAA considers me a revenue airman or not.

I believe either on the form or in the guidance somewhere it says you have to mark yes for unexplained unconsciousness. So say if needles make you pass out and you fainted while getting blood drawn that doesn’t count. Sleep obviously doesn’t count. They’re worried about blackouts from stuff like narcolepsy, seizures, diabetes, hypoglycemia, etc.

I always save a pdf copy of my Medexpress application to reference for future use, just to make sure I'm at least consistent. Its easy to forget some of those reportable medical things from years past, even though inconsequential today. I sure don't want my medical getting held up by OKC over an inadvertent omission.

This.

It saves a ton of time looking up appointments you’ve had within the 3 years and makes it easy to know when you no longer have to list them. Consistency is important, I believe….especially when dealing with a broken system.

This.

It saves a ton of time looking up appointments you’ve had within the 3 years and makes it easy to know when you no longer have to list them. Consistency is important, I believe….especially when dealing with a broken system.

I used to keep a paper file and put anything medically relevant in for this reason. Always used to ask docs for copies of any labs, etc... for the file. That way it was all at my fingertips for my next medical (or anything else)
Well...I got away form actively flying, and over the years I really let that file slip.

My last medical was in 2006 and since I'm getting older I've been to the doc a lot more than I used to. Nothing serious, but still... I'll admit to being nervous about going back for a medical if I ever decide to stop doing basic med. I'd have no idea how to even begin listing my medical visits, etc...
best thing might be to just pretend I'm going in for my first ever FAA medical and list everything that comes to mind....probably miss a bunch of stuff, but not unlike any other new student pilot in their mid 50's. Ugh, what a mess

I have a class three medical so no commercial privileges but I am a CFI so not sure if the FAA considers me a revenue airman or not.
You're not. If you don't need it to keep your job, you're screwed.

"I forgot what I disclosed in last medical"

Sounds like an issue with memory retention. Maybe they will defer you for that ... :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back