I am very proud to announce that...

For those who like we do not use facebook: http://www.modaero.net/
From that website:
MODAERO is an Aviation Event built for modern times. Let’s face it…things have changed since most Cessna 172’s were new. The face of aviation is changing too. Today, more than 40% of pilots are under the age of 40. But you won’t find an abundance of this group at Sun N Fun, Oshkosh, Sebring or other regional aviation events.

Why is that..? Well the pundits chalk it up to this group being a “small segment of the aviation population” (#Hardly). According to FAA records, there are more than 300,000 active pilots in this group in 2014 and they represent 78% of all new pilots. Maybe instead of guessing why this is true, you might want to ask anybody under 30 why they don’t like these events…we did:

“I don’t feel welcome (there). Everyone is older and into their own deal.”
“It’s just not fun. They serve bad food, play outdated music and it’s the same old thing every year.”
“Warbirds don’t interest me and there’s nothing interesting about it.”

Despite the fact we think Warbirds are cool, we hear you. So we decided to create an event that is new, different and fresh…something for us. We took one part aviation fly-in, mixed in the vibe of a music festival and threw in a career fair…to help you pay the bills. We’ve invited some of the top companies in the industry to come and show us what they’re doing. We are recruiting speakers and developing content that you care about. There are people like you doing amazing things in aviation and we want you to meet them. Most importantly, we want you to share your experiences with other like-minded aviation folk.

I disagree with the premise that Oshkosh, Sun 'n Fun or other fly-ins are not welcoming of the younger pilots. Maybe the younger pilots have a chip on their shoulder and just don't like the older folks? I see this more and more all of the time. There is an age bias these days and not just in aviation. The bias I see is one held by the young against the old, not the other way around.

When I first got into aviation and even today, I had a great amount of respect and admiration for the older guys and in talking with the older guys I noticed that they have a great amount of admiration and respect for their own predecessors/older guys. There has always been the old guys, the young guys and those in between (where I currently reside). We have always been able to intermix and learn from one another.

I really do believe that the thought process behind creating modaero is flawed but hey, I wish the event success as I do believe that any effort made to draw new people into aviation and increase our ranks is worth a try. I just hate to see one that seems to have been created out of divisiveness and maybe even bitterness. I also fear that it might all just be an effort to make money on the part of the organizers and that advancing the cause of aviation is just a ruse. I hope I’m wrong.

Guess I'm not welcome there since I'm 41

Everyone can come! I enjoy being around older people and learning from them. It is just that there are going to Dj's and live music, hey, I would be happy to boogie down with the older folks!

ModAERO is geared towards attracting the millennials into becoming apart of our industry. I cant tell you how many times people have told me that they thought GA was off limits to them, and only started training after I metaphorically cast my line and drew them in.

Everyone can come! I enjoy being around older people and learning from them. It is just that there are going to Dj's and live music, hey, I would be happy to boogie down with the older folks!.

Ouch...Edfred is old at 41...whats that make Loren? lol :rofl:

I always say you're only as old as who you feel. Unfortunately for me that's N/A

No, but in another 58 years you could be a member of the "99's"! Just think of the possibilities. If you average their age, and all.

There is a definate attitude from a lot of older pilots of self grandiosity. Need proof? Look at all the threads here complaining about younger pilots and bemoaning glass, GPS, and any myriad of other trivial things.

One can only sit and listen politely for so long to how great it was in the old days and how crap 'kids these days' are.

I'm older than EdFred? Damn. He's way better at curmudgeon than I am.

Have fun with the event, Princess...

There is a definate attitude from a lot of older pilots of self grandiosity.

This, from you of all people? LOL.

Man that was worth an out loud chuckle aboard an SWA jet this afternoon...

Or were you claiming it as a factual/good thing, since you certainly partake? :)

Funny, when I was younger I didn't care about getting involved in aviation as a social event with people my own age, sex or race. I just liked airplanes.

For those who like we do not use facebook: http://www.modaero.net/
From that website:

I disagree with the premise that Oshkosh, Sun 'n Fun or other fly-ins are not welcoming of the younger pilots. Maybe the younger pilots have a chip on their shoulder and just don't like the older folks? I see this more and more all of the time. There is an age bias these days and not just in aviation. The bias I see is one held by the young against the old, not the other way around.

When I first got into aviation and even today, I had a great amount of respect and admiration for the older guys and in talking with the older guys I noticed that they have a great amount of admiration and respect for their own predecessors/older guys. There has always been the old guys, the young guys and those in between (where I currently reside). We have always been able to intermix and learn from one another.

I really do believe that the thought process behind creating modaero is flawed but hey, I wish the event success as I do believe that any effort made to draw new people into aviation and increase our ranks is worth a try. I just hate to see one that seems to have been created out of divisiveness and maybe even bitterness. I also fear that it might all just be an effort to make money on the part of the organizers and that advancing the cause of aviation is just a ruse. I hope I’m wrong.

Tone of their message is:
If you are a member of the Codger Association, don't bother coming. This an event for the children only

ok, we can take a hint

:(

Will have to pack my depends and stop by waiting to see all these young pilots.

This, from you of all people? LOL.

Man that was worth an out loud chuckle aboard an SWA jet this afternoon...

Or were you claiming it as a factual/good thing, since you certainly partake? :)

You'll have to dig long and hard finding a post of mine boasting about myself I think.

I would agree with the snipped advert... I don't really care about old planes or war birds. They do nothing for me. I get excited to see a new Cirrus and would love to step into the new DA62. I'll walk right past a Bonanza and be like, meh, whatever.

Cutting edge, latest and greatest, glass, now I'm interested. Never been to a mega show like Osh or SnF. I'd go if I was in the area, but I'm noting gonna make a trip out of it.

Aviation is more of a tool than a hobby to me. If I wanted it to be a hobby, id get my RW add on and buy an Exec 162F because helis are where my heart is.

So yea, I think their hypothesis is pretty spot on.

There is a definate attitude from a lot of older pilots of self grandiosity. Need proof? Look at all the threads here complaining about younger pilots and bemoaning glass, GPS, and any myriad of other trivial things.

One can only sit and listen politely for so long to how great it was in the old days and how crap 'kids these days' are.
Y'all are going to make me agree with Captain? I've gotten the same feeling, and I'm Ed Fred's age.

I love how you all go off on these tangents lol.
Amazing isn't it.
I was glad to see you posting again. I was afraid we had run you off.

Even if this event is a snub to us old geezers, I can really understand that. Even I get annoyed when I go to meetings and I am one of the young guys, and I am 63. I'd prefer to hang out with a bunch of younger pilots.

As Douglas Adams put it:

1. Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you're 15 and 35 is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're 35 is against the natural order of things.

Amazing isn't it.
I was glad to see you posting again. I was afraid we had run you off.

Even if this event is a snub to us old geezers, I can really understand that. Even I get annoyed when I go to meetings and I am one of the young guys, and I am 63. I'd prefer to hang out with a bunch of younger pilots.

Run me off? I think I am more tough than everyone here combined. :rofl:

You'll have to dig long and hard finding a post of mine boasting about myself I think.

I was thinking more of be storming off in a snit, and coming back, and storming off again in a snit, and coming back... however many times that's happened. Pretty funny.

I was thinking more of be storming off in a snit, and coming back, and storming off again in a snit, and coming back... however many times that's happened. Pretty funny.

That would make an excellent topic for its own thread however has nothing to do with this one...

So yes, me of all people.

That would make an excellent topic for its own thread however has nothing to do with this one...

So yes, me of all people.

Ahh... you're saving all your "self-grandiosity" for another thread later. Got it.

Haha.

Everyone listen up.

Captain says only he may behave with "self-grandiosity" in his upcoming new complaint thread, and all other such behavior is off-topic on this thread.

He will have to approve all such "self-grandiosity" personally in all threads. He will let you know when it's okay.

Growing old is mandatory.

Growing up is optional.

The issue isn't a generational thing. It's the new socialization. All this electronic communications (forums, facebook, twitter, etc) has made it difficult to communicate since we never see the reaction to our words. Sure, we get smileys but we never see the face of the people we are talking to. It is more like we spend our day talking (yelling, swearing) at ourselves.
If we could just camp out at the airport we would all get along better.

America:

Where everyone blames someone else. No one ever takes a long hard look in the mirror. We've raised a permanent victim culture.

Back on topic, anything that promotes GA is o.k. by me. :)

Back