Huundai's Ioniq Hybrid

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Anyone encountered one of these yet? Sorta curious about fit/finish/function and if it is living up to the advertising hype.

I haven't seen one, but from what I've read it might be tough competition for the Prius: more HP, slightly better MPG, longer warranty with lifetime warranty on the battery, non-CVT transmission, and it looks like the MSRP is about $2K less. If the Hyundai quality is good, it might grab market share from the Prius. Basically looks the same.

Hybrids are officially dinosaurs ! You have TWICE the complexity and all the maintenance as a regular ICE car. With the increases in battery energy density and corresponding increase in range the all electric vehicle is the clear choice. I'm actually puzzled at why companies are still making hybrids at all.

Hybrids are officially dinosaurs ! You have TWICE the complexity and all the maintenance as a regular ICE car. With the increases in battery energy density and corresponding increase in range the all electric vehicle is the clear choice. I'm actually puzzled at why companies are still making hybrids at all.
Because some people can't afford to drive an all-electric vehicle and buy an ICE-vehicle for the longer trips that go outside of the range of all-electric cars. Also, some people don't have access to charging stations (apartment dwellers) to make electric-vehicle ownership feasible. C'mon now, there's still a big market gap that electrics can cover yet.

I haven't driven the Ioniq, but I've driven a few Hyundai vehicles and have nothing bad to say about them. They weren't any better/worse than their competitors in those market segments (Toyota/Honda/Ford/GM). It's no high-end luxury car (Genesis/Equos notwithstanding), but they get the job done for little money.

Because when I drive cross-country, I don't want to stop every 2 or 3 hours for a 30 minute or more recharge; IF I can find a recharging station.
When the recharging infrastructure is improved, and the recharge time is reduced, electrics will begin to gain market share.

I still can't figure out why the e-car manufacturers can't introduce a "quick change" battery. Pull up to a battery swap location (like Blue Rhino does with propane), drop your existing battery and slide in a replacement battery and go. That should be able to be accomplished as quickly as a gas fill-up. It would also reduce the requirement for the car owner to possibly have to replace his very expensive battery eventually while the vendor that does the replacing would be able to recycle the batteries on a schedule and recoup the cost little by little with each swap. Those batteries don't just die suddenly. They lose sufficient power to be effective car batteries, but they can be re-purposed for lesser duty and then the materials recycled. Big dealer can manage that, individual car owners can't.

Hybrids, and Electric cars are dinosaurs. Why? FOSSIL FUELS! Maybe the Stanley Steamer will make a comeback! :)

Hybrids, and Electric cars are dinosaurs. Why? FOSSIL FUELS! Maybe the Stanley Steamer will make a comeback! :)

Fossil fuels went away? Funny, in most of the U.S. the electric cars are coal or natural gas powered, last I checked. A few nuclear powered, but not that many. Tiny numbers of wind/solar or hydro, too. But the vast majority are fueled by fossil fuels.

They just moved the tailpipe from the back of the car, via a long cable, to the power plant, is all.

Fossil fuels went away? Funny, in most of the U.S. the electric cars are coal or natural gas powered, last I checked. A few nuclear powered, but not that many. Tiny numbers of wind/solar or hydro, too. But the vast majority are fueled by fossil fuels.

They just moved the tailpipe from the back of the car, via a long cable, to the power plant, is all.
Though a coal fired plant is more efficient than a gas powered car engine, no?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

There you go again:
Electric cars are perfectly clean. Even California knows that! (If you ignore the mining and disposal of the rare-earth and batteries), and HOW could they be nuclear powered? I don't have a nuclear reactor in my car or my garage!

Next thing you will be saying that if the Government pays for something, it's not "free".

Saw an article about an electric plane recently. It had a battery you could remove, and replace with a fully charged battery. I am sure every FBO will have one. Now, if the batteries become much smaller and lighter, I could see that working, and also being a good application for cars. Pull in, drop off the old battery into the automated "RedBox" of batteries, then get a fully charged one.

I think he was making a joke that fossil fuels themselves were dinosaurs?

Yes, it moves the tailpipe but power from even a coal powerplant is cleaner than millions upon millions of ICE cars on the road.

Saw an article about an electric plane recently. It had a battery you could remove, and replace with a fully charged battery. I am sure every FBO will have one.
The Solar Impulse electric aircraft paid a visit here on its round-the-world trip recently. It was on display to the public inside a huge climate-controlled tent. Outside sat the four-engine Il-76 transport needed to haul around the support equipment and personnel everywhere the single-seat electric airplane went.

Maybe someday ...

Saw an article about an electric plane recently. It had a battery you could remove, and replace with a fully charged battery. I am sure every FBO will have one. Now, if the batteries become much smaller and lighter, I could see that working, and also being a good application for cars. Pull in, drop off the old battery into the automated "RedBox" of batteries, then get a fully charged one.

No, I was actually saying that fossil fuels are as relevant, and important as ever. Even more so that we have found extremely abundant domestic energy resources.

I think he was making a joke that fossil fuels themselves were dinosaurs?

Yes, it moves the tailpipe but power from even a coal powerplant is cleaner than millions upon millions of ICE cars on the road.

Debatable if you converted them all over.

Just bought a 2015 Kia Optima hybrid with 18k miles. I've heard they use the Hyundai hybrid system, but it's apparently older tech than the Ionic. I've been leery of Korean products in the past, but the newer cars come with good ratings, even from Consumer Digest. We've always been partial to Toyotas, and have two Prius hybrids. They have been very reliable. The '09 is pushing 180k miles! I'm hoping the Kia will be just as dependable. I considered a Ford Fusion hybrid of similar vintage, but it's performance was well below the Kia. The Fusion also has three active recall notices! The Kia? 0.

My Optima's gas engine is rated at 199HP, so the mileage is not as good (46 city, 43 highway) when compared to the Ionic (or my old Prius for that matter!), but it's good enough for the cost. The onboard computer today reported an average of 43 mpg on my daily commute. That's about 5 mpg less than my '09 Prius for the same route, and just under what the '12 Prius delivers. Not bad for a sporty mid-size hybrid sedan. Still, we may consider a used Ionic for my wife when it's time to replace her Toyota van.

Hell, there might be something more efficient by then.

I want the fuel cell car that has the water dump switch. For no reason other than it has a water dump switch. I can do the same thing with my car, but it requires hitting a dip at a high rate of speed. And it's a trick I can only do once.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Note that Nissan no longer makes hybrids. They get good enough mileage with their gasoline engines and their new generation of CVT transmissions that it is not necessary to achieve their CAFE goals. Where hybrids (and electrics) do well is in constant start and stop driving, where regenerative braking can recoup energy, plus allowing the motor to run at a higher output, more efficient regime at low speeds for short time periods.

If you do mostly freeway driving, none of that does you much good.

All-electric cars need energy. If we all buy them, we'll need a lot more powerplants. A LOT more. An electrical utility exec here in BC, Canada, was reported as saying that if all BCers buy electric cars, the utility will need to build 15 more hydroelectric dams to power them. Which valleys would we like flooded?

Note that Nissan no longer makes hybrids. They get good enough mileage with their gasoline engines and their new generation of CVT transmissions that it is not necessary to achieve their CAFE goals. Where hybrids (and electrics) do well is in constant start and stop driving, where regenerative braking can recoup energy, plus allowing the motor to run at a higher output, more efficient regime at low speeds for short time periods.

It can still help on the interstate. For instance, a Prius uses a very small engine, run at a very lean fuel air ratio. That combination gets great mileage, but suffers in drivability, particularly acceleration. So the battery/electric powerplant kicks in and helps out when you need some oomph.

You get the best of both worlds - good drivability and good mileage on the highway.

Anyone encountered one of these yet? Sorta curious about fit/finish/function and if it is living up to the advertising hype.

I haven't but the pictures look nice. I really don't like the styling of the Prius. It's a different system from the more familiar Toyota/Ford system, as it uses a dual clutch transmission rather than a CVT.

There's not as much complexity as you might think. I have a Ford Fusion Energi, and while it has a number of parts that a car with a conventional drivetrain doesn't, it's also missing a number of parts that a conventional car does have. My car has a motor generator and an inverter, but no alternator, and it has a drive motor, but no starter, and the transmission is a fairly simple planetary gearset, with no torque converter or clutch. Look at the reliability of two of the most popular hyprids, it's excellent: https://www.truedelta.com/Toyota-Prius-vs-Honda-Insight-reliability-comparison,272-112

There you go again:
Electric cars are perfectly clean. Even California knows that! (If you ignore the mining and disposal of the rare-earth and batteries), and HOW could they be nuclear powered? I don't have a nuclear reactor in my car or my garage!

Next thing you will be saying that if the Government pays for something, it's not "free".

Since you're picking on California, I'm going to use them as an example. California's grid is extremely clean: https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=CA#tabs-4 A little more than 50% is from renewables and nuclear, the rest is natural gas, no coal plants there. EV's are extremely efficient. Take the example a compact car that avearges 30 MPG. Over an anticipated 200,000 mile lifetime, that a little more than 6600 gallons of gasoline, approximately 40,000 lbs worth. Yes, there is some rare earth in an EV's engine and a limited amount in its batteries' electrodes, but there are some in a conventional drivetrain as well, such as the catalytic converter . Lithium mining, used in an EV's lithium ion batteries is produced mostly by brining, and is really rather benign, particularly compared with some of the means of producing crude oi. How many resources will it take to produce that 20 tons of gasoline rather than the considerably less energy that it will take to power the electric car?

EVs are very efficient. My car, which is encumbered with having to carry a 300 lb engine around at all times, still averages 3.2 miles per kwh, wall to wheels. A battery electric will be about 20% more efficient. By comparison, a gallon of gasoline contains the equivalent of about 33.7 kwh of electricity. Instead of using gasoline, we'll use natural gas, it's much cheaper, and send it through a power plant, which typically is about 50 percent efficient. We'll take that 17 kwh of electricity and go 54 miles with it, not bad for a mid size sedan.

As the old TV commercial says, but wait, there's more. When you get natural gas out of the ground, it needs to be purified and desiccated, but it's pretty much ready go to after that. Petroleum, once you separate out the water and screen out the debris, not so much. You're going to have to refine it before you can put it in someone's car. Takes lots of energy to do that, it turns out. The gov't used to collect information on that, they don't anymore. The best figures I could find was from a British video that I can't find right now. Turns out it's in the range of 7 kwh, of which 4.5 kwh is actually electricity, the rest being heat. So, lets take that 2.5 kwh of heat energy, use it to make 1.2 kwh of electricity, add it to the 4.5 kwh of actual electricity, multiply that times 3.2, and you get an additional 18 miles. Now I've covered 72 miles on the energy that's in a gallon of gasoline plus the amount needed to refine it.

Not done yet. Here's a picture of North Dakota at night:
bakken_vir_2012317_wide-e31860b4065170ace4bdbdcb0f3297deaa49f8ae-s800-c85.jpg

As you'd expect, there's lights in Minot and Bismarck, but what the frack is going on in the western part of the state, that's all ranchland! Yes, that's the frackers flaring off natural gas. By using natural gas to power an electric car, we're basically using a byproduct of oil drilling. Increasing the demand for gas will get some of that flared gas into the pipeline.

Just bought a 2015 Kia Optima hybrid with 18k miles. I've heard they use the Hyundai hybrid system, but it's apparently older tech than the Ionic. I've been leery of Korean products in the past, but the newer cars come with good ratings, even from Consumer Digest. We've always been partial to Toyotas, and have two Prius hybrids. They have been very reliable. The '09 is pushing 180k miles! I'm hoping the Kia will be just as dependable. I considered a Ford Fusion hybrid of similar vintage, but it's performance was well below the Kia. The Fusion also has three active recall notices! The Kia? 0.

My Optima's gas engine is rated at 199HP, so the mileage is not as good (46 city, 43 highway) when compared to the Ionic (or my old Prius for that matter!), but it's good enough for the cost. The onboard computer today reported an average of 43 mpg on my daily commute. That's about 5 mpg less than my '09 Prius for the same route, and just under what the '12 Prius delivers. Not bad for a sporty mid-size hybrid sedan. Still, we may consider a used Ionic for my wife when it's time to replace her Toyota van.

Hell, there might be something more efficient by then.

I have a 2014 Fusion plug in hybrid, had it for three years and 40,000 miles. At the first oil change (20,000 miles) I had the light up ring around the charge port replaced. It has had two recalls, one done at the first oil change and the second done at the second oil change, just recently. It's really nice driving around town on the battery. Anyone who hasn't driven electric owes it to himself to try one.

All-electric cars need energy. If we all buy them, we'll need a lot more powerplants. A LOT more. An electrical utility exec here in BC, Canada, was reported as saying that if all BCers buy electric cars, the utility will need to build 15 more hydroelectric dams to power them. Which valleys would we like flooded?

Surely you must have some wind energy available in BC. That's a vastly better solution than what your neighbors in Alberta are doing, turning their forests into the world's largest toxic waste dump. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/03/canadian-oil-sands/essick-photography

Hyundai, yeah, nope.
I used to think the same thing up to about two weeks ago. "Hyundai is the nicest disposable car made today."

Had a rented Hyundai Sonata for me at the airport. Drove it all weekend. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, light steering, nice stereo system, roomy, etc. It really opened my eyes compared to my wife's '12 Accord.

Gas mileage wasn't great but it may have just been a small tank. I didn't put any gas in it. Visibility was okay.

Color me impressed.

If you talked to me 10 years ago, I would have been on board with the anti-Hyundai crowd.

Now? I would put them at the top of my list (just under Toyota). The cars are very nice. The fit and finish are excellent. You get A LOT of whiz bang tech and luxury items for the money. And that money is less than what you'd spend on an equivalent "American" car (manufactured in Mexico, assembled in Canada).

Exactly, often times their city mileage is better than their highway.

Hybrids ...have TWICE the complexity and all the maintenance as a regular ICE car.

You clearly haven't owned a Prius.

Shop bills for my daughter's ten year old Prius have been the lowest of any car our family has owned.

Four-wheel drive added much more shop expenses, and much more unreliability, to my Ford truck than the hybrid drive added to the Prius, over the same period of ownership. In fact the hybrid drive has added no maintenance or repairs at all, while in the 4WD truck the transfer case required disassembly when it leaked and the front hubs required replacement.

Many here like to hate hybrids, and that's fine, cars are a matter of personal preference, so go ahead and hate whatever you wish, but the fact is that a Prius is a very low maintenance vehicle

Last edited:
I havae a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. Easily the best car I have ever owned in 47 years of car ownership.

We have 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe withe over 130K miles and agree, aside from my 1984 Accord Hatchback have not had a more reliable car.

Surely you must have some wind energy available in BC. That's a vastly better solution than what your neighbors in Alberta are doing, turning their forests into the world's largest toxic waste dump. http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/03/canadian-oil-sands/essick-photography

The Revelstoke Dam near here generates 2480 MW. A wind turbine, under ideal wind conditions (rare) generates 1.5 MW. So we'd need 1653 wind turbines to replace that dam, and that's only good on windy days. Those 1653 turbines would take up way more space than the dam's reservoir.

The old baloney about Alberta's oilsands again. Too many folks listen to what famous actors or other celebrities say when they tour that "mess." They don't tour the Utah oilsands or the other toxic wastes in the US caused by mining, do they? Or say anything about the oil wells hidden right in LA.

What the photos of the oilsands don't show is the reclaimed lands that are forested now and don't have the oil seeping out of them anymore, seeping into the Athabasca and Clearwater Rivers like it used to. My father worked up there in the 1940s and spoke of the oily sheen on the water and the trickles of crude coming out of the riverbanks. No, it's not politically correct to speak of actual facts; much easier to peddle falsehoods to support pet philosophies.

You clearly haven't owned a Prius.

Shop bills for my daughter's ten year old Prius have been the lowest of any car our family has owned.

Four-wheel drive added much more shop expenses, and much more unreliability, to my Ford truck than the hybrid drive added to the Prius, over the same period of ownership. In fact the hybrid drive has added no maintenance or repairs at all, while in the 4WD truck the transfer case required disassembly when it leaked and the front hubs required replacement.

Many here like to hate hybrids, and that's fine, cars are a matter of personal preference, so go ahead and hate whatever you wish, but the fact is that a Prius is a very low maintenance vehicle

Ok, and it only stands to reason that it would be that much simpler with only an electric engine.

Because when I drive cross-country, I don't want to stop every 2 or 3 hours for a 30 minute or more recharge; IF I can find a recharging station.
When the recharging infrastructure is improved, and the recharge time is reduced, electrics will begin to gain market share.

I still can't figure out why the e-car manufacturers can't introduce a "quick change" battery. Pull up to a battery swap location (like Blue Rhino does with propane), drop your existing battery and slide in a replacement battery and go. That should be able to be accomplished as quickly as a gas fill-up. It would also reduce the requirement for the car owner to possibly have to replace his very expensive battery eventually while the vendor that does the replacing would be able to recycle the batteries on a schedule and recoup the cost little by little with each swap. Those batteries don't just die suddenly. They lose sufficient power to be effective car batteries, but they can be re-purposed for lesser duty and then the materials recycled. Big dealer can manage that, individual car owners can't.

Why do you DRIVE cross country when you have a pilots license ? I myself have a personal limit of no more than 2.5 hours of terrestrial driving. If it's further than that I'm flying.

Because some people can't afford to drive an all-electric vehicle and buy an ICE-vehicle for the longer trips that go outside of the range of all-electric cars. Also, some people don't have access to charging stations (apartment dwellers) to make electric-vehicle ownership feasible. C'mon now, there's still a big market gap that electrics can cover yet.

I haven't driven the Ioniq, but I've driven a few Hyundai vehicles and have nothing bad to say about them. They weren't any better/worse than their competitors in those market segments (Toyota/Honda/Ford/GM). It's no high-end luxury car (Genesis/Equos notwithstanding), but they get the job done for little money.

Ok, I get the apartment dweller part - but then if you're really concerned about range and mileage you should get a Volkswagen diesel Golf. They last forever and get phenomenal MPG. In my experience those little Diesel engines are the most bulletproof of any vehicle I've ever owned.

Ok, I get the apartment dweller part - but then if you're really concerned about range and mileage you should get a Volkswagen diesel Golf.

Agree that they're nice cars, but VW pulled them from the market, and is moving from diesel to hybrid for the US market.

Yes Nathaniel, but aren't we here in the USA the Saudi Arabia of natural gas and coal ? Conversely we don't currently run very many passenger vehicles off of Natural gas and certainly not Coal. Yes, there are a good number of commercial fleet vehicles running off NG but ALL commercial vehicles combined only make up about 23% of overall vehicles on the road. The vast majority, something on the order of 63 - 65% are passenger vehicles.

Secondly, am I the only one here with the foresight to see that for a lot of us there's really no need to be hooked up to the electrical grid ? My next house which is currently under construction will not be hooked up to the grid at all. I will use gas for cooking and heating water but all my electricity will be stored in storage batteries much like the Tesla power wall.

The next time you go flying look at ALL those rooftops down there and imagine them to be solar collectors - that's a lot of wasted space right now. Don't think that solar collection won't improve any - you probably thought the same thing back in 1980 when Radio Shack came out with the TRS-80 too. You probably thought that it was a cute toy-computer and that you'd never have a use for anything that silly.

Think Moores Law can't be carried over to PV panels and batteries ? Think again !

Agree that they're nice cars, but VW pulled them from the market, and is moving from diesel to hybrid for the US market.

I can find them all day long over in the used market. I haven't bought a new off the showroom car in over 20 years - they just depreciate too quickly. Seriously though there's bunches of them out there right now because VW made such a good deal for people to turn them in.

Why do you DRIVE cross country when you have a pilots license ? I myself have a personal limit of no more than 2.5 hours of terrestrial driving. If it's further than that I'm flying.
Good question. I rarely drive to a destination more than 2 hours away. I do so only if there is no convenient airport near my destinatin and/or no ground transport available.
But I was primarily answering as a generic buyer. I actually know people that don't own an airplane, and that is the reason they give. I have a friend that lives in Atlanta (380 miles from here). When they visit, they drive the Mercedes because the Tesla doesn't have the range. He can pretty much use it only for local traffic (up to around 100 miles if he wants to get home). He lives around 60 miles from work (through Atlanta traffic). He drives it to work, charges it up, drive it home, charges it up, drives it to work . . .

Ok, I get the apartment dweller part - but then if you're really concerned about range and mileage you should get a Volkswagen diesel Golf. They last forever and get phenomenal MPG. In my experience those little Diesel engines are the most bulletproof of any vehicle I've ever owned.
Yeah, they fared so well with that EPA violation on the TDI engines. Also, I have driven several VW's (Jettas and Passats) . . . no thanks, bulletproof engine or not. There's no reason that a Hybrid isn't a good solution for people in the meantime. Range is generally better than any full-electric, it won't leave you stranded if you run out of battery-juice, and it serves as a decent stop-gap until full-electric ranges have been improved and infrastructure installed. There are also a lot more choices in brand/platform for Hybrids than there are for diesel or full-electric.

Hybrids were meant to bridge the gap between ICE and electric cars, which several years ago was a huge gap. But battery technology has advanced a lot since then. And small displacement turbos, direct injection, DCT/CVT, metallurgy and a whole host of other factors have made ICE much better. Now that gap that hybrids were meant to bridge is pretty small, relatively speaking.

Back